Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

57 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

Other foods from my 4 park trip last week:
Kings dominion graining grill sirloin option. Sliced fresh when ordered.

Large portion. Served with hummus for pita and grilled broccoli
b9f6afd1e1325b57ec6b526e874055c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks SO much better without the Fish and Chips newspaper they keep putting on the plates. Just use the plates and fill the up a little more and BOOM - better impression already. Keep a bunch of microgreens or a big bunch or two or parsley or other cheap herb to toss on a sprig or two and its "almost Klassy"

• Like 1

From my 3 park trip this past weekend:

Out of the 3 parks I visited, Carowinds by far was the worst food out of them all. Edible but definitely had a “People gotta eat.” Vibe going on. Portions were small and the food seemed old. First night I ate at Harmony Hall Markeplace. The Ribs were tough, but the Mac n cheese was decent. On the second day, I had lunch at Chickie’s & Pete’s got the Philly cheesesteak with crab fries. Carowind’s does not include dipping sauce with the meal unlike CP. Last meal I ate was at Blue Ridge Country Kitchen, got the half chicken (pigeon) and Mac n cheese which was not even close to what was served at Harmony Hall the previous night. The Mac n Cheese seemed like picked off the shelf, GFS brand. All I can say about that meal is wow, that was baddd. I did splurge a bit and treated myself to a Fury Freeze, it was good but I’ll probably stick with picking more traditional flavored dip n dots after trying it. The best meal out of the three meals I ate there was the Philly Cheesesteak with crab fries.

IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1231.jpeg

• Like 1

Busch Gardens Williamsburg had their annual Food and Wine Festival event taking place, so naturally being that I attended last year. I purchased a sampler. The food was great as usual. The only disappointment I had was they brought back almost all of the previous menu options from last season which although was tasty, I was hoping to try some different things. The food portions are what you would expect for a sample, the real kicker is using the sampler for adult beverages, which they pour to the brim. I’m ranking BGW second out of the 3 parks I visited. Only because it is a Food Festival and not daily food ops.

IMG_1246.jpeg

IMG_1248.jpeg

IMG_1249.jpeg

IMG_1261.jpeg

IMG_1262.jpeg

IMG_1263.jpeg

• Like 1

To finish the trip I stopped at Kings Dominion. And I can attest to those that have spoken positively about the food at KD are 100% right. The portions are plentiful, and the food is very tasty. You will eat every bite on your plate, and you’ll know you shouldn’t because you have rides to ride but the food is just that good. For lunch I stopped at the new Firehouse BBQ ended up getting the brisket with side of street corn and corn bread. (I know corny.) All I can say is that it was excellent, this was my favorite meal for the trip. For dinner I had to see what the buzz was about comparing KI’s G&G vs KD’s G&G and yes, KD’s G&G is so much better. Sirloin pulled out from the warmer and freshly sliced. What a great way to keep a protein moist, tender all while retaining its freshness. It’s a small detail that goes a long way. For the side I got the 3 cheese scalloped potatoes with bread. 

All in all well done KD!

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Tr0y said:

To finish the trip I stopped at Kings Dominion. And I can attest to those that have spoken positively about the food at KD are 100% right. The portions are plentiful, and the food is very tasty. You will eat every bite on your plate, and you’ll know you shouldn’t because you have rides to ride but the food is just that good. For lunch I stopped at the new Firehouse BBQ ended up getting the brisket with side of street corn and corn bread. (I know corny.) All I can say is that it was excellent, this was my favorite meal for the trip. For dinner I had to see what the buzz was about comparing KI’s G&G vs KD’s G&G and yes, KD’s G&G is so much better. Sirloin pulled out from the warmer and freshly sliced. What a great way to keep a protein moist, tender all while retaining its freshness. It’s a small detail that goes a long way. For the side I got the 3 cheese scalloped potatoes with bread. 

All in all well done KD!

IMG_1270.jpeg

IMG_1280.jpeg

Everything looks so much better without the flappy paper liner thing and all the dumb little “portion control” cups. Someone needs to get a grip on KI food ops. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Everything looks so much better without the flappy paper liner thing and all the dumb little “portion control” cups. Someone needs to get a grip on KI food ops. 

I’m starting to think that maybe Kings Island GP are the biggest users and abusers of the Season long dining plans. That would explain the small portions and portion control cups. Another thing I’ve noticed is neither of our BBQ restaurants serve brisket. They only have the cheap meats available. ( Chicken and pork. ) Carowinds, CP, and KD all had brisket. Heck Carowinds even had ribs.

9 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

@silver2005 any comments on presentation and amount of cheese and chili?

image.png

They closed the front location, then completely forgot how to make Skyline at the other. The portions are smaller all around, and somehow they manage to take longer to make.

6 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

I’m starting to think that maybe Kings Island GP are the biggest users and abusers of the Season long dining plans. That would explain the small portions and portion control cups. Another thing I’ve noticed is neither of our BBQ restaurants serve brisket. They only have the cheap meats available. ( Chicken and pork. ) Carowinds, CP, and KD all had brisket. Heck Carowinds even had ribs.

Does Coney BBQ not have ribs this year? It has been my go-to there.

• Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 9:17 PM, brenthodge said:

I don't understand for the life of me why they DON'T add that in on Friday and Sat nights (even a few other weeknights when it is high season). Local acts could audition for an entertainment person and they could build a "roster" of acts appropriate for 3-4 themed areas. Create small themed stages, promote the heck out of the local acts and give them free exposure for probably minimal actual pay to the act. That was one of the things I actually LIKED about the COVID season - the "mini shows" like BrewBeats and the CarGuys (whatever their name was) really added to the dynamics of the areas. I was actually bummed when bigger live shows returned and the budgets were cut for those little "pocket shows". Simple live music acts would fill that void, and fill the evenings since it seems like all shows are done by 6 this year (except RetroSPect)

I agree with this. CP does something similar with the Bands in Residence program. I don't understand why they haven't introduced that here yet. While I enjoy Hifi Honey and I think they should definitely continue to play at the park, I scratch my head when they play like every weekend in April and May. Not knocking them at all, but I just feel there are other bands around the area that would love the opportunity to play at the park. Like you could still have Hifi Honey play in the Festhaus, but you could also do other stages for other bands to play like what they did last year during the summer when HH and River City did weekend sets. They had stages set up in Action Zone and Coney Mall. Maybe do something similar in the spring time and have stages for live local bands in like Coney, Action Zone, Rivertown (across from train station, LaRosas patio, and/or that little empty gazebo near Diamondback), and the Mercado patio along with the Festhaus and Bandstand stages. There's a lot of opportunities that KI could do for local artists and live music in the spring time and I just feel it is a missed opportunity when it is the same band playing every weekend in April/May. 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I agree with this. CP does something similar with the Bands in Residence program. I don't understand why they haven't introduced that here yet. While I enjoy Hifi Honey and I think they should definitely continue to play at the park, I scratch my head when they play like every weekend in April and May. Not knocking them at all, but I just feel there are other bands around the area that would love the opportunity to play at the park. Like you could still have Hifi Honey play in the Festhaus, but you could also do other stages for other bands to play like what they did last year during the summer when HH and River City did weekend sets. They had stages set up in Action Zone and Coney Mall. Maybe do something similar in the spring time and have stages for live local bands in like Coney, Action Zone, Rivertown (across from train station, LaRosas patio, and/or that little empty gazebo near Diamondback), and the Mercado patio along with the Festhaus and Bandstand stages. There's a lot of opportunities that KI could do for local artists and live music in the spring time and I just feel it is a missed opportunity when it is the same band playing every weekend in April/May. 

The sad thing is more times than not, River City played in Action Zone and had more entertainment associates watching than guests.  Coney Mall stage wasn't that much better.

With guest numbers like that, it is hard to justify continuing.  But at the same time, the shows were not really advertised either, so it was a hit or miss thing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, disco2000 said:

The sad thing is more times than not, River City played in Action Zone and had more entertainment associates watching than guests.  Coney Mall stage wasn't that much better.

With guest numbers like that, it is hard to justify continuing.  But at the same time, the shows were not really advertised either, so it was a hit or miss thing.

Exactly-you can’t do something-never promote it, then complain and pull it because “no one came” plus those stages were in pretty dumb locations plopped in the middle on the midway instead of in food and beverage locations. You put them where your own policies say you don’t want “large crowds to gather” 

Edited by brenthodge
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Tr0y said:

Yeah-I think all the “hacks” of “I’ve got the dining plan and always split a chicken dinner with three kids and ask for 4 ‘water cups’ of pop are screwing it up for the others. If you do something like that -great! But don’t find your personal hero status by sharing with the world on Twitter! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Chicken Shack...does house sauce come with the meal?  I asked for a side of it, which I usually do.  Charged $1.28..

Not a big deal because he handed me 3 cups full.  But when my meal came out, it had two more cups of it.  I got my 1.28 worth lol. 

What’s up with the sauce up charges. One of any sauce at any location should be free EVEN IF ITS ALREADY ON THE MEAT (looking at you grail and grill if you get 2-3 beyond that… sure charge 1.50 but this “one cup of sauce” upcharge looks tacky. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

What’s up with the sauce up charges. One of any sauce at any location should be free EVEN IF ITS ALREADY ON THE MEAT (looking at you grail and grill if you get 2-3 beyond that… sure charge 1.50 but this “one cup of sauce” upcharge looks tacky. 

Well, that's the reason I asked about The Chicken Shack specifically.  I think they are modeled after Zaxby's who provides one house sauce and charges for additional. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Chicken Shack...does house sauce come with the meal?  I asked for a side of it, which I usually do.  Charged $1.28..

Not a big deal because he handed me 3 cups full.  But when my meal came out, it had two more cups of it.  I got my 1.28 worth lol. 

It’s hit or miss. Sometimes I get charged sometimes I don’t. I’m not sure if the park has clear guidelines for employees on the matter. I’m convinced KI has the largest base of meal plans within the CF chain, and the park is doing stuff to make up for it. Like charge additional for sauce, having cheap meats as the only entree options, and or the portions end up on the smaller side. My experiences were all vastly different between Carowinds, CP, and KD. With CP, and KD having the best food, and Carowinds being the worst.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tr0y said:

It’s hit or miss. Sometimes I get charged sometimes I don’t. I’m not sure if the park has clear guidelines for employees on the matter. I’m convinced KI has the largest base of meal plans within the CF chain, and the park is doing stuff to make up for it. Like charge additional for sauce, having cheap meats as the only entree options, and or the portions end up on the smaller side. My experiences were all vastly different between Carowinds, CP, and KD. With CP, and KD having the best food, and Carowinds being the worst.

I used to be able to swap the fries on a cheese coney meal for a 3rd coney. I asked their year, they said not on the meal plan I would have to be a paying customer to get it. Thanks

• Sad 1

From my 3 park trip this past weekend:
Out of the 3 parks I visited, Carowinds by far was the worst food out of them all. Edible but definitely had a “People gotta eat.” Vibe going on. Portions were small and the food seemed old. First night I ate at Harmony Hall Markeplace. The Ribs were tough, but the Mac n cheese was decent. On the second day, I had lunch at Chickie’s & Pete’s got the Philly cheesesteak with crab fries. Carowind’s does not include dipping sauce with the meal unlike CP. Last meal I ate was at Blue Ridge Country Kitchen, got the half chicken (pigeon) and Mac n cheese which was not even close to what was served at Harmony Hall the previous night. The Mac n Cheese seemed like picked off the shelf, GFS brand. All I can say about that meal is wow, that was baddd. I did splurge a bit and treated myself to a Fury Freeze, it was good but I’ll probably stick with picking more traditional flavored dip n dots after trying it. The best meal out of the three meals I ate there was the Philly Cheesesteak with crab fries.
IMG_1230.thumb.jpeg.4ede32bde25769953f2fe8aac8a87eb0.jpeg
IMG_1231.thumb.jpeg.321e80e03b5d73fc4247c9d92169979f.jpeg

Leonardos (new Italian place) and the burrito bowl place at Carowinds were excellent.

• Like 1

I would agree that because KI is near so many residences, a lot of people (myself included) use the dining plan a lot.

Kings dominion is like 25 minutes from Richmond… so there’s likely a lot less people who are just swinging by for a meal.

That said, Canadas wonderland is SURROUNDED by condos… way more people live close to that park than KI. And their food was even better than KD.

• Like 1

OMG did we really just successfully plate a 3 side dinner with only one portion cup for the item that actually makes sense to use that for??!!! See we really CAN do it. Decent portion as well. Taters crispy outside and soft inside. Brussels best to date. CousCous really good. If this is the standard we can hit each time-I’ll be a convert! 

488CA9C7-4BC5-4534-A4E1-6FAD7ECE5B60.jpeg

• Like 1

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic