Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

On 6/17/2023 at 7:22 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Maybe that’s changed. There are photos circulating of a promo banner with the dining plan logo on it. 

…or when CP tried to charge like $2.50 for CFA for the dining plan. Due to outrage, that didn’t last long. All it would take is for them to get the idea that they can start doing that the plan will be worthless. Burgers and pizza are on the dining plan for Coney BBQ, Brew House etc are +$5. Trust me, someone will or has already brought up that idea.

Do you really think it’s horrid? I must admit that it feels like the quality took a big step back this year, but I don’t think it’s horrid. 

Yes.  KI has the worst food out of the 4 CF parks I have attended this year (CP Carowinds KD KI) That honor used to belong to CP but thei upped their menus the past seasons.

I went to KD this week   The food there is great    It absolutely verified to me how bad KI is.  And just mad me sad how bad KI messed up Grain and Grill.  Every single thing I have eaten at one of those other parks is of less quality if the is something comparable at KI   Ki can’t even make simple pizza that’s good   

I did think Canadas Wonderland was a tad bit worse than KI when I visited last year   Mainly because of lack of choice rather than inedible food  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, super7 said:

Yes.  KI has the worst food out of the 4 CF parks I have attended this year (CP Carowinds KD KI) That honor used to belong to CP but thei upped their menus the past seasons.

I went to KD this week   The food there is great    It absolutely verified to me how bad KI is.  And just mad me sad how bad KI messed up Grain and Grill.  Every single thing I have eaten at one of those other parks is of less quality if the is something comparable at KI   Ki can’t even make simple pizza that’s good   

I did think Canadas Wonderland was a tad bit worse than KI when I visited last year   Mainly because of lack of choice rather than inedible food  

I think many would report that KD might be the best this year. CP’s turkey in the Grand Pavillion… I can’t say enough about how great it is! I ate it three times over the weekend!

KI’s has fallen off badly this year. At Jukebox, my girlfriend got chicken tenders that had clearly been sitting around for a long time. They were rock solid. That wouldn’t have happened last year. In two different instances, I’ve had a table full of people who got the Clucks ‘n Barrels at Brew and either the chicken, the tots or both tasted like the oil hadn’t been changed in weeks. Like a terribly unappetizing dark color and burnt taste. I ate at the park dozens of times last year and this never happened. I’d be less concerned, but I’ve been visiting a lot less this year so the percentage of “old hat” quality meals is much higher. I don’t think the food is horrid. I still have more food than bad, but I am concerned about this trend

• Like 3

I've been hearing/seeing great things about the new Firehouse BBQ restaurant at KD. It also looks like their version of Grain and Grill is far better than the one at KI as well. I haven't been to KD since 2019 though so I have yet to try it.

• Like 2

Bit of a rant post but hearing people brag on FB how they go to the park to use their meal plan just to get to go containers of food is quite annoying. I’m all for getting your money’s worth, but don’t go bragging publicly about how you’re taking full advantage of the meal plan. You’re the reason why our food portions, quality and food options are limited.:angry:

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Bit of a rant post but hearing people brag on FB how they go to the park to use their meal plan just to get to go containers of food is quite annoying. I’m all for getting your money’s worth, but don’t go bragging publicly about how you’re taking full advantage of the meal plan. You’re the reason why our food portions, quality and food options are limited.:angry:

Exactly.  Love the people that have to share "hacks" that then ruin it for everyone else.

And especially on FB where the park now has your name and depending on the hack, could do something about it to you.  There was a member here once bragging about a hack and the park invalidated his pass so that they could talk to him the next time he tried to enter the park.

I have seen families take an entire pizza home.  I have seen people go into Skyline and order 3-ways and hand the employee gallon ziploc bags to put the spaghetti in one bag, chili in another bag, and the cheese in another so that it travels better.

Granted the park can't really do anything about this other than not provide to go containers (and they shouldn't be touching guests containers either), but it certainly isn't the intent of the program.  The intent is to keep you in the park later to maybe buy a t-shirt, or hat or candy or fudge or pretzel.

Come on people LOL.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Although I don’t disagree with you that it’s annoying, I think that it’s a big fallacy to justify smaller portions because others are misusing the program. Just like the abuse of the bottled water in the VIP Lounge, that sucks, but that’s not my problem. I paid for it. I shouldn’t be punished for something that’s the park’s responsibility to fix. If the price went up or the meal plan went away next year then I would be more apt to point the finger at them.

But here’s the quick solution:

No to-go containers.

The meals are intended to be used at the park. No part of the program guarantees you can take stuff home. I agree - it’s clearly not within the spirit of the program. That would shave off a huge percentage of those who are doing this. 

On the other hand, you get two meals a day, four hours apart. Why is it their business where you eat the second meal?

I think there are very much two sides to this, but yes - it’s annoying to see people brag about it knowing it’s probably to the detriment of everyone else. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Although I don’t disagree with you that it’s annoying, I think that it’s a big fallacy to justify smaller portions because others are misusing the program. Just like the abuse of the bottled water in the VIP Lounge, that sucks, but that’s not my problem. I paid for it. I shouldn’t be punished for something that’s the park’s responsibility to fix. If the price went up or the meal plan went away next year then I would be more apt to point the finger at them.

But here’s the quick solution:

No to-go containers.

The meals are intended to be used at the park. No part of the program guarantees you can take stuff home. I agree - it’s clearly not within the spirit of the program. That would shave off a huge percentage of those who are doing this. 

On the other hand, you get two meals a day, four hours apart. Why is it their business where you eat the second meal?

I think there are very much two sides to this, but yes - it’s annoying to see people brag about it knowing it’s probably to the detriment of everyone else. 

Those are excellent ideas. An aggressive price increase would probably be beneficial as well. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Come on now.  There is a whole Prestige pass holder contingent that would love to pay even more for less :P

So much entitlement, we’re just fortunate we get anything. 

I think many would report that KD might be the best this year. CP’s turkey in the Grand Pavillion… I can’t say enough about how great it is! I ate it three times over the weekend!
KI’s has fallen off badly this year. At Jukebox, my girlfriend got chicken tenders that had clearly been sitting around for a long time. They were rock solid. That wouldn’t have happened last year. In two different instances, I’ve had a table full of people who got the Clucks ‘n Barrels at Brew and either the chicken, the tots or both tasted like the oil hadn’t been changed in weeks. Like a terribly unappetizing dark color and burnt taste. I ate at the park dozens of times last year and this never happened. I’d be less concerned, but I’ve been visiting a lot less this year so the percentage of “old hat” quality meals is much higher. I don’t think the food is horrid. I still have more food than bad, but I am concerned about this trend

Was at CP yesterday. The Turkey is no longer an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

…at least on Gold passes. 

They did increase the gold pass 20% last year.  The $99 went to $120 this past year.  I wouldn't expect more than a $5 increase this season.  Would much rather see the $145 dining plan increased to say $175 and bring back the quality of last season.

• Like 3

services and costs are a never-ending battle. "How much can we charge before people stop thinking it is worth the money for as little as we can offer" and "How little can we pay for as much benefit we can gain"

I am all for hustling to get maximum value out of a company, they are doing the same to us. But at some point it does kind of become cheating, going in and getting your meal and eating there seems to be one thing, bringing the means to save it for later doesn't seem like cheating to me unless someone else outside your group eating it.

I mean they offer it, the two meals, why shouldn't you eat it as much as possible in whatever means you decide on. Even if it isn't an issue of people "abusing" service they paid for in a way which is perfectly allowed in the way the rules are written, I wouldn't put it past some bean counters to simply start pulling back on quantity or quality or just bolstering the price just to save. They could be making money hand over fist on the meal plan for all we know, and they'd still want to milk it for more. It is up to the individual customer to adjust just as the company is.

I will say though, at the rate the food is going this year, if the price goes up again next year. I won't be renewing all the meals plans next year.

• Like 2

Wonder if CF is watching what other parks do for their meal plans?  Six Flags offers a 10 or 20 meal plan for their season passes.  Could it be possible someday in the CF chain of parks to have 10, 20, or unlimited meal plans priced accordingly for season pass holders?

• Like 2

The meal plan has been great for the years I've had it. I think anti-hack policies should be in place as mentioned like no to-go assistance. I also think it would be a wise idea to restrict you from using your meal plan for 30 mins after you get to the park after 2 hours of it being open. If you arrived to the park for the first 2 hours it was open, no restriction. This would force people going there to #hackthesystem to either wait out 30 mins or go to the park early in the morning. Anyone staying at the park for the whole day wouldn't have a problem with waiting 30 mins, but if you are just there to eat then you have to wait. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Taylor.B03 said:

The meal plan has been great for the years I've had it. I think anti-hack policies should be in place as mentioned like no to-go assistance. I also think it would be a wise idea to restrict you from using your meal plan for 30 mins after you get to the park after 2 hours of it being open. If you arrived to the park for the first 2 hours it was open, no restriction. This would force people going there to #hackthesystem to either wait out 30 mins or go to the park early in the morning. Anyone staying at the park for the whole day wouldn't have a problem with waiting 30 mins, but if you are just there to eat then you have to wait. 

I see where you’re going with that, but it comes down to the original adage of, it’s two meals per day, four hours apart. If you wish to walk into the park, use it, and leave then who are they to tell you that you can’t? Theoretically you’re actually saving them money by not riding rides, seeing shows, etc. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I see where you’re going with that, but it comes down to the original adage of, it’s two meals per day, four hours apart. If you wish to walk into the park, use it, and leave then who are they to tell you that you can’t? Theoretically you’re actually saving them money by not riding rides, seeing shows, etc. 

It's really more of a deterrent than a de facto shutdown of people only eating. If you only have 1 hour or so to eat for instance, you likely will not want to go to Kings Island to eat since you would need to burn 30 mins before you can get your meal. The people who mainly only go there to eat and leave likely never had any interest of riding rides or being in the park for a prolonged period of time. So really it come back to either commit and stay in the park for awhile or be inconvenienced for going to a world class amusement park just to to eat. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Taylor.B03 said:

I often stop up after work and stay for the night, waiting 30 mins for my dinner would not be ideal. I would probably decide to stay home instead and I would then have to reconsider purchasing the meal plan.

Edit: The park has also used its upgraded food offerings as a selling point for the meal plan and passes, they have said in the past that they want you to come for the food.  Coming to the park for food shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From what I have experienced, and what others have experienced with the other parks within Cedar Fair in comparison to KI. It’s pretty evident the bean counters are short changing us Kings Island to make up for the excessive use. Kings Island is the only park within Cedar Fair that I have been to that doesn’t serve brisket. CP, Carowinds, and KD does. Brisket is a more expensive cut of meat than pork and chicken which are basically the only options at KI. KI G&G uses portion control cups. KD’s does not. Kings Island charges extra for house sauces. KD does not. They need to charge more for the dining plan so we can have the same premium experience the other parks enjoy normally.

• Like 1

Looks like the Brewhouse Chef's special is on the dining plan this month.  Nice job culinary team!  Hope this holds.  

Again I'm expecting just the chef's special on the dining plan, not the Dip or Flatbread.  That being said I am planning on trying the Dip.  Sounds tasty!

20230622_120652.jpg

• Like 3

We attempted to order the enchiladas tonight but the chicken supply ran out and they told us the enchiladas were unavailable. I asked if we could substitute carnitas for the chicken since the enchiladas are essentially rolled tacos and we were told no. Not sure why the proteins couldn't be swapped out since the enchiladas are made to order.

Instead we got to try to special at Miami Brewhouse, the Mi Favorito Burger. It was pretty good!

• Like 2

On 6/19/2023 at 11:10 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Meanwhile over at Tom+Chee, instead of made to order grilled cheese like past years, they are now premade and line them up on the warmers.

Walked by and nobody was there waiting for an order, and there were the sandwiches lined up waiting for people to order.

Now instead of the cheese being hot and melted that you can scrape the excess with the potato chip, the cheese is now solidified again.

On the positive side, it has sped up the process LOL.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Meanwhile over at Tom+Chee, instead of made to order grilled cheese like past years, they are now premade and line them up on the warmers.

Walked by and nobody was there waiting for an order, and there were the sandwiches lined up waiting for people to order.

Now instead of the cheese being hot and melted that you can scrape the excess with the potato chip, the cheese is now solidified again.

image.png

Just gotta have alot of friends at all times to go in front of you 

7 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

We attempted to order the enchiladas tonight but the chicken supply ran out and they told us the enchiladas were unavailable. I asked if we could substitute carnitas for the chicken since the enchiladas are essentially rolled tacos and we were told no. Not sure why the proteins couldn't be swapped out since the enchiladas are made to order.

Instead we got to try to special at Miami Brewhouse, the Mi Favorito Burger. It was pretty good!

They have ABSOLUTELY NO BANDWIDTH for making any decisions on the fly that would in any way solve an easy problem in real time. Their “supervisors” are either very well, or horribly trained in their total inability to see simple (albeit “not policy”) solutions. 

6 hours ago, disco2000 said:

image.png

Meanwhile at FrenchCorner, they’ve figured out how to somehow make putting cold chicken salad on a croissant and adding a scoop of cold potato salad into a 20 minute, custom made for you, slid through a hole in wall process. Lol

Just STFU PEOPLE!!!! Saw a post in that KI SeadonPass FB group “reminding everyone you can get 3 free samples of fudge without buying anything “ see. This “need to be adored by sharing great hacks with the world” is why things get less and less. Whadda ya wanna bet soon there will be a $5 “fudge flight” where you get 3 tastes that you can then apply the cost to your fudge purchase LOL 

10 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Just STFU PEOPLE!!!! Saw a post in that KI SeadonPass FB group “reminding everyone you can get 3 free samples of fudge without buying anything “ see. This “need to be adored by sharing great hacks with the world” is why things get less and less. Whadda ya wanna bet soon there will be a $5 “fudge flight” where you get 3 tastes that you can then apply the cost to your fudge purchase LOL 

Further, if I am looking to buy some to take home and there is now a line of free loaders, guess what, I keep on going and they lost a sale...

It is so easy to tell the ones that have no intention on buying lol, but I'm not going to waste my time either.

• Like 1

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic