Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

On 6/24/2023 at 7:03 AM, brenthodge said:

They have ABSOLUTELY NO BANDWIDTH for making any decisions on the fly that would in any way solve an easy problem in real time. Their “supervisors” are either very well, or horribly trained in their total inability to see simple (albeit “not policy”) solutions. 

Oh absolutely. The associate even asked a pair of supervisors in the kitchen and they told her no. When I asked why she just shrugged.

And I've wondered the same thing about French Corner. The sandwiches are good (but of course very small) and somehow take quite a while to get prepared.

10 minutes ago, mikejenkins1 said:

So assuming the food truck is a no go this year at the park......

It was actually at Timberwolf last weekend (Saturday at least) during Spirit Song.  Serving Mexican fare.  Unfortunately, not on the dining plan.

• Like 1

Here is the Reuben from the Festhaus for those who haven't seen it yet:

20230624_183505.jpg

While it isn't going to give Izzy's any competition it is nice to have a dining plan item that is actually like something one would get at a Festhaus. Hopefully we see more like this in the future.

• Like 5

On 6/23/2023 at 6:11 PM, Taylor.B03 said:

Got the enchiladas. They were really good! I would recommend 

20230623_171139.jpg

On 6/22/2023 at 3:50 PM, robintodd said:

Looks like the Brewhouse Chef's special is on the dining plan this month.  Nice job culinary team!  Hope this holds.  

Again I'm expecting just the chef's special on the dining plan, not the Dip or Flatbread.  That being said I am planning on trying the Dip.  Sounds tasty!

20230622_120652.jpg

• Haha 2

On 6/24/2023 at 2:26 PM, chad_1138 said:

It was actually at Timberwolf last weekend (Saturday at least) during Spirit Song.  Serving Mexican fare.  Unfortunately, not on the dining plan.

Was really hoping it would be in park or Soak City like last year and yes on the dining plan.......

• Like 3

I also gave the enchiladas a whirl this past Saturday and they were actually quite good. The red sauce was nice and hearty with a good flavor and the chicken was seasoned just right! I'd give them a 7.5/10 

I'll have to give the brewhouse special a go next time although I am quite partial to the BBLT over there 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I also gave the enchiladas a whirl this past Saturday and they were actually quite good. The red sauce was nice and hearty with a good flavor and the chicken was seasoned just right! I'd give them a 7.5/10 

I'll have to give the brewhouse special a go next time although I am quite partial to the BBLT over there 

Here is what you’re dealing with at the Brewhouse:

IMG_6515.jpeg

It tastes better than it looks. I’m not a fan of the pork rinds so I pick them off but the avocado on it is a nice touch. 

• Like 2

Anyone had the steak recently at Enrique’s?  Had it last night and it is definitely a different cut of meat.  Now, don’t get me wrong, it was very good.  Had a pot roast taste, like it was chuck roast.  Guessing it’s a cheaper cut than what they were using before.

On another note, they must have been out of the smaller bowls as they were using the large round bowls.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

Anyone had the steak recently at Enrique’s?  Had it last night and it is definitely a different cut of meat.  Now, don’t get me wrong, it was very good.  Had a pot roast taste, like it was chuck roast.  Guessing it’s a cheaper cut than what they were using before.

On another note, they must have been out of the smaller bowls as they were using the large round bowls.

Had it last night and was wondering the same thing. Mine was dripping so much it soaked through the taco tortillas. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Was it good and what about portion size.

I did tacos, you get 3 of them. 1 scoop of meat split between the 3. Honestly it was hard to tell, they were so wet that it ended up being a cheesy/soupy mess on the tray. I’d have to try them again, and make sure to ask them to “drain the scooper” before I can make a statement on taste.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Was it good and what about portion size.

I had the bowl.  I did notice the excess liquid, but without the tortilla it was fine.  I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.  It was super tender.  If you enjoy pot roast, you should enjoy this.  Portion wise, they really dug the scoop in and get me a heaping scoop.  Very pleased with the portion.

• Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 7:26 AM, DispatchMaster said:

Yes, Cedar Fair is secretly and systematically worsening the experience at KI in order to benefit the other parks, because they care where their revenue comes from.

/s

No, it’s not to benefit the other parks. It is to benefit Kings Island by being cheap. 

At KD today and tried their Grain and Grill.

I had the streak which looked dry, but was actually really good. I only got 3 slices. A little thicker than my experience at  our G&G. I think a 4th slice would have been nice, but no big complaints. I would eat there again. 

PXL_20230627_230004087.jpg

@electricsungot 3 veggies and they loaded it up. All very good.

PXL_20230627_225958313.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/27/2023 at 12:07 PM, chad_1138 said:

It’s probably roast from what couldn’t be sold at G&G.

• Haha 2

Got the enchiladas at Enrique’s.
It’s essentially 3 soft shell corn tortillas with a small portion of chicken wrapped up.
Beans on the side with your choice of red or green sauce on top. And then the normal toppings.

Wasn’t bad. But it’s really not a “new” entree items and hardly is enchiladas vs just a skimpy raw corn tortilla roll up.

Appreciate the attempt to bring a new menu item without a lot of effort. But I’d stick with the bowl or burrito. 9654c06e96877b66451b0095dbb66164.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, brenthodge said:

I know where I’m heading next time. Interesting that they are offering a “No fries” option. Wonder if that’s what you get on dining plan. 

I had it it today. Fries are included on dining plan. The girl who took my order said she's new and wasn't sure but it rang up fine.

Not sure why I got it. I'm not a fan of blue cheese outside of salad dressing and I knew it would be overpowering.

Also noticed Coney BBQ changed their fries again this year. Not sure if these are the old sidewinder fries or a new type? Still good.

• Like 1

Ate at G&G again yesterday. First time since it opened. It was good, but very uninspiring. Maybe I was spoiled by KD’s G&G and CP’s Grand Pavilion. Both of which gave you that, “I can’t believe I’m eating this in a theme park!” feeling. G&G just doesn’t and I can’t put my finger on why. 

I also feel like the monthly specials are kind of lacking. Last month’s special at Enrique’s was just the chicken but in a different sized wrap. Like, why? The burger at the Brewhouse was okay, but why put the pork rinds on it just for people to pick them off? It was a pub burger with avocado. 

Myself and others have also noticed some stuff that just wouldn’t have happened in years past. Three people at our table got clucks & barrels one time and both the chicken and the tater tots had a gross burnt taste to them. It was as if they hadn’t changed the oil but should have. I’m sure they would have replaced them if we asked, but my point is that I feel like this would have been pretty isolated in the past five years, but is becoming more common now. 

The food is still better than it was before they started emphasizing the food. I just feel like things took a big step back this year. What gives? It’s all the same people, who ran a decently tight ship last year. All except the new Executive Chef, but can he personally be held responsible for all of this?

Regardless, if any of you food people are out there reading this - thank you. You have a tough job that I wouldn’t want to do. None of this is directed at one person. You all work very hard!

• Like 2

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic