What would be one thing you’d change operations wise?

SonofBaconator

I would switch the gate entrance to the opposite side after you pass security.  It has seems like Frogger trying to cross over people exiting the park.  Put the exit by guest relations and have the fence take you away from people entering the park.  Unless I am missing something besides tradition this would workout better.

This one’s a bit of a personal pet peeve, but…

Man. Just staff the Antique Autos properly. Last three trips my wife and I have tried to ride. A 20 minute wait quickly turns into 45 minutes because they have like, 2 operators and 3/4 of the cars off-track. 

Dude, I just wanna drive some cars. 

• Like 2

I agree about switching the exit/entrance set up.  Seems to be a lot of crossing traffic with the only open metal detectors after 4pm on the left, but then you have to cross over those exiting.  Seems like those should be reversed to avoid some of the cross over traffic.

I agree, on several of my visits, this ride has had horrid lines because they are running so few cars and have so few people staffing.  Same goes for Flume when they load one side.  With Fastlane, that can turn a seemingly short line into a long, slow moving line.  Earlier this year, I literally saw Flume one sided, while two employees were picking weeds below the final lift.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 3:10 PM, SonofBaconator said:

For example, I’d put the trains on a timetable so you can know what time to expect them.

Being the nerd I am, I worked out a timetable where a single train makes 3 round-trips an hour assuming the water park is open:

I watched the webcams and timed the trains. If the time table is correct, to maximize efficiency, a train can do 3 full trips an hour leaving Rivertown at :00, :20, & :40 of every hour which includes the wait in Soak City.

5AAF059A-F82E-4DF5-B4B5-2593EBF17F81.jpeg

Two train operations would allow for a combined 6 trips an hour with the second train leaving Rivertown at :10, :30, & :50 of every hour.

This probably would never happen but it would be absolutely awesome if it ran on an organized time table for the busy hours.

• Like 3

I wish the park would allow people into the lines before the ride opens. Nothing like having a long line stretch into the midway rather than just opening the queue and let people in. If it’s not a mechanical or weather issue why not? I’ve seen this Countless times. Most recently was the line for Diamondback which stretched all the way down to Brewhouse because it didn’t open on time with the park.

Another annoyance is when there is clearly nobody in the row to take your spot when the ride ends and instead of just letting you re-ride they have you get off and walk all the way around to get back on.

I also hate the fact that I am required to wear shoes on the water rides on the dry side of the park. They do not require shoes on Cedar Point’s water rides.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2023 at 3:59 PM, SonofBaconator said:

Being the nerd I am, I worked out a timetable where a single train makes 3 round-trips an hour assuming the water park is open:

I watched the webcams and timed the trains. If the time table is correct, to maximize efficiency, a train can do 3 full trips an hour leaving Rivertown at :00, :20, & :40 of every hour which includes the wait in Soak City.

5AAF059A-F82E-4DF5-B4B5-2593EBF17F81.jpeg

Two train operations would allow for a combined 6 trips an hour with the second train leaving Rivertown at :10, :30, & :50 of every hour.

This probably would never happen but it would be absolutely awesome if it ran on an organized time table for the busy hours.

Don't forget they will need time to refill their boilers periodically. Schedules are great until something goes wrong putting everything behind. I think the journey is short enough and operations quick enough to forgo a set schedule.

• Like 1

On 7/22/2023 at 11:09 PM, Tr0y said:

Another annoyance is when there is clearly nobody in the row to take your spot when the ride ends and instead of just letting you re-ride they have you get off and walk all the way around to get back on.

Especially with White Water Canyon's and The Bat's super long lines. I have been on the ride with no line and when I get back to station I ask to re-ride but they do not allow so have to walk about a half mile to get right back on the ride while multiple empty rafts/trains go around the course.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tks944 said:

Especially with White Water Canyon's and The Bat's super long lines. I have been on the ride with no line and when I get back to station I ask to re-ride but they do not allow so have to walk about a half mile to get right back on the ride while multiple empty rafts/trains go around the course.

That's disappointing that they don't do that anymore. I used to reride stuff all the time on slow days if noone was waiting, espcailly on those two and Adventure Express. Remember just riding WWC 4 times in a row to get our fill in so we didn't have to get wet again after drying off.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, matt112986 said:

Don't forget they will need time to refill their boilers periodically.

My timetable has a 5 minute stop between journeys, so in theory they could fill up while loading passengers. I’m not entirely sure how many laps an engine can go without needing to fill back up though

Keeping all of the drink stations opened. Granted I realize in recent times with the budget cuts and yada yada this isn't high on the priority list, but everyone constantly needs something to drink and having more locations open creates less waits and more options. Not to mention as a fan of fountain Cherry Coke, Tower Drinks has the superior Cherry Coke vs the FreeStyle. I wish Tower Drinks was open more often specifically for this reason and also because its right at the front of the park and makes sense to staff it more often. Oh well.

• Like 6

On 7/25/2023 at 2:45 PM, SonofBaconator said:

My timetable has a 5 minute stop between journeys, so in theory they could fill up while loading passengers. I’m not entirely sure how many laps an engine can go without needing to fill back up though

I've had to wait for it before, it takes longer than 5 minutes. A tight timetable would need to take refills into account. Not sure how often they need to refill either.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I said last week the midways were starting to look grimy. Now they look trashy. People usually don't look at the ground, but I've heard 2 moms say how filthy and disgusting this looks. 

"This path is disgusting!"

"The litter here is very bad" 

"Guests are complaining about the amount of litter in your park"

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'd change this.  I said last week the midways were starting to look grimy. Now they look trashy. People usually don't look at the ground, but I've heard 2 moms say how filthy and disgusting this looks. 

1690915350703613394281512596205.jpg

The whole park kids of feels dirty right now with the grimy midways. I don’t know how much money Kings Island saved by cutting the water truck everyday, but it feels like a poor decision. Nobody wants to be in a dirty park.

• Sad 4

22 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

The whole park kids of feels dirty right now with the grimy midways. I don’t know how much money Kings Island saved by cutting the water truck everyday, but it feels like a poor decision. Nobody wants to be in a dirty park.

And then in turn when folks see filthy walkways, that also ties into the perception of other areas like ride safety and food safety. The line of thought "if they can't even keep the walkways clean where else are things not being cared for?" and this image is bad as a whole which can then lead to further decline on attendance. It's just not a good look :(

• Like 3

First, I would change the fact that the train runs only one train with 3 carriages (cut capacity 75%). If you are going to only use one of our beautiful engines please use all the carriages. 

I hate when they don't race The Racer. I understand not racing when it's not busy bet there's plenty of weekdays they could race it and don't. 

One train ops are terrible I don't care what coaster it is but it sucks! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This might be controversial but I’m not a fan of Monster’s ops. Loading and unloading seems like a nightmare… I wish there was a way where all arms could raise and lower at once but I understand that’s not how it was designed.

Speaking of awkward ops, I’ve heard that Pipe Scream can operate during and after rain whereas Surf Dog cannot. I’m not sure how true this is because I don’t really pay attention to Pipe Scream’s ops, but if that’s the case would it be a wise investment to get the updated version for our park just so we don’t have a ride down for weather?

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2023 at 11:09 PM, SonofBaconator said:

This might be controversial but I’m not a fan of Monster’s ops. Loading and unloading seems like a nightmare… I wish there was a way where all arms could raise and lower at once but I understand that’s not how it was designed.

Speaking of awkward ops, I’ve heard that Pipe Scream can operate during and after rain whereas Surf Dog cannot. I’m not sure how true this is because I don’t really pay attention to Pipe Scream’s ops, but if that’s the case would it be a wise investment to get the updated version for our park just so we don’t have a ride down for weather?

Thought I'd revisit this thread and say I agree with not being a fan of monster ops. Loading 3 arms vs 4-6 seems very slow and reduces capacity. I get they want to have less ops on each side but monster is one that it would be worth keeping 3 ops on. 

Now that you mention it I have noticed surf dog has been closed a lot this season...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, johnjniehaus said:

Thought I'd revisit this thread and say I agree with not being a fan of monster ops. Loading 3 arms vs 4-6 seems very slow and reduces capacity. I get they want to have less ops on each side but monster is one that it would be worth keeping 3 ops on. 

Now that you mention it I have noticed surf dog has been closed a lot this season...

This might get me tarred and feathered but I think Monster should be dismantled and stored in favor of something that offers better capacity. I know it would never happen but I wonder how long people spend on that ride from the que, to loading, to riding, to waiting to be unloaded.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

This might get me tarred and feathered but I think Monster should be dismantled and stored in favor of something that offers better capacity. I know it would never happen but I wonder how long people spend on that ride from the que, to loading, to riding, to waiting to be unloaded.

If there were a way to modify the original ride to load the entire ride at once, I would support that. But its one of the original rides relocated from Coney and its still fun. And while the capacity sucks, that's not as much of a problem on lower crowd days and it would be less of an issue if simply more flats were added.

Anyways, one operational change I would like to see is going back to keeping water rides open until close.

Also, continue to encourage fast dispatches by coaster crews...but find a way to discourage them from allowing a bunch of empty seats. On my last visit you could hear the Diamondback op talking about their dispatch count for the hour...right as a train left the station 1/3 empty (despite there being plenty of people in line).

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

Also, continue to encourage fast dispatches by coaster crews...but find a way to discourage them from allowing a bunch of empty seats. On my last visit you could hear the Diamondback op talking about their dispatch count for the hour...right as a train left the station 1/3 empty (despite there being plenty of people in line).

A single rider line would help that but I know that’s been unpopular with people in years past during Winterfest.

4 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

This might get me tarred and feathered but I think Monster should be dismantled and stored in favor of something that offers better capacity. I know it would never happen but I wonder how long people spend on that ride from the que, to loading, to riding, to waiting to be unloaded

I'm not going to tar and feather you but yes the monster is definitely a bad capacity, bad efficiency ride but it's a classic and I would hate to see it go. I'll wait in the line and deal with the slow ops to be able to get that good stomach drop and the crazy spinning if the balance is off.