Snake River Expedition at CP no more?

2 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

Interesting that it wouldn't even run as "just" a boat ride. The original version of Snake River Expedition was ambitious but it never quite found an audience.

It would have worked very well if it was just a transport attraction. Taking a nice trip from Camp Snoopy to Frontier Town is what we need.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

Interesting that it wouldn't even run as "just" a boat ride. The original version of Snake River Expedition was ambitious but it never quite found an audience.

1 hour ago, Captain Nemo said:

It would have worked very well if it was just a transport attraction. Taking a nice trip from Camp Snoopy to Frontier Town is what we need.

I would love this....would be nice to have 2 docks...one in Camp Snoopy and then one near Professor Dilbert's.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Nice subtle dig on the VIP Lounge at the end LOL.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Taking a nice trip from Camp Snoopy to Frontier Town is what we need.

This is a pretty fantastic idea, and would fit well thematically. I realize there was a lot less to do back in the mid-80's, but I have very fond memories of riding PWE back then, and always enjoyed seeing the park from the unique perspective that ride provided.

I am slowly losing faith in CF.  Not just this but other cuts to the "experience" of being in their parks.  I know they want a strong bottom line for the merger but hoping things turn back around after it is complete.  I don't expect them to be Disney or Universal.

• Like 1

On 2/29/2024 at 4:46 PM, Captain Nemo said:

I concur! And they could keep the simple animatronics and scenery as things to see along the way. Like the C. P. and L. E. railroad. 

• Like 4

On 3/2/2024 at 10:27 PM, brenthodge said:

Pretty much knew this had a limited lifespan the day it opened based on the high overhead.

There was absolutely nothing to indicate that was the case at the time. The previous management team would have provided Forbidden Frontier and SRE a much longer runway to establish itself, as that team clearly understood the business CP is in. I mean, FF alone was a pretty big investment, and that level of investment shows that they expected it to last for quite a while.

The new management team obviously feels much different, hence the two attractions' removal.

I think they were hoping to see a decent ROI.  And with the current state of trying to keep margins high by reducing seasonal labor, this was a likely victim.  Heck, look at KI.  The train used to stay open until the park closed in the peak summer months.  Now they have been closing it shortly after the water park is cleared of guests.  The average guest will definitely see the cost cutting moves and attempts to save on labor. 

How long before they decide to strip out more than bare minimum checking restraints on coasters, which would increase dispatch times, causing longer lines and entice more people to purchase Fastlane, which would bolster their margins?  Disney has done similar things, decreasing ride capacity to increase wait times to artificially inflate the demand for Lightning Lane and Genie Plus.

Forbidden Frontier, and Snake River Expedition opened in 2019, they never would have even been built after 2020.  I enjoyed the boat ride, it was much better in 2019 than at any time since then.  Personally I would have liked it to be similar to the Jungle Cruise, place animatronics around the shore, have the boat captain make bad jokes throughout the experience.

I suspect the boat ride is done for and never to return.  But I could also see how removing it might help part of the island to return.  Forbidden Frontier was out of the way, required a lot of walking to access, and had a single access point due to the need for the elevated walkway.  There should have also been a bridge from Camp Snoopy.

There is already a walkway on the island that dead ends directly across from where the boat dock is located.  Build a bridge that is just above the water, it will be cheaper than a large elevated structure.  The high ground play structure is very close to this point as well.  Start there reopening the play structure and restrooms, then slowly turn the island into an extension of camp Snoopy.

• Like 1

If they'd utilize the boats just for transportation that'd be a win. 

If they opened the island, that'd be a win....I mean they had Provisions, the new bathrooms, the play structure....seems silly to let those just sit after investment. I'd rather see something open there.

18 hours ago, Kenban said:

Forbidden Frontier, and Snake River Expedition opened in 2019, they never would have even been built after 2020.  I enjoyed the boat ride, it was much better in 2019 than at any time since then.  Personally, I would have liked it to be similar to the Jungle Cruise, place animatronics around the shore, have the boat captain make bad jokes throughout the experience.

Snake River Expedition opened to guests in 2021.

Forbidden Frontier opened in 2019 (Remained Closed in 2020)

1 hour ago, TOPGUN1993 said:

Snake River Expedition opened to guests in 2021.

Forbidden Frontier opened in 2019 (Remained Closed in 2020)

You’re right I was not remembering when Snake River opened correctly, I should have double checked.  I still stand by the statement this would have never been built after 2020 though.  It feels like this was longer ago than it really was, I really did think this operated for more than 3 years, even though I did remember Forbidden Frontier not being open in 2020.

These dates are from Wikipedia so they should be right.  Snake River Expedition was announced December 11th, 2019 and was supposed to be part of the 150th, and should have opened with the park in 2020.  It ended up being delayed until 2021 because of the Pandemic and restrictions from that.

I know the characters as part of Forbidden Frontier were Live Entertainment.  I believe but could be wrong the people operating Snake River Expedition also were considered live entertainment, and not rides.  The reason why I do not believe these attractions would be built today is in part the difficulty in staffing the park, and also the amount the park pays its employees.  These attractions are just too expensive to operate right now, so even though they are new attractions, they were the first to get cut.  They are also not really an attraction that someone would likely travel for.  While I personally think these types of attractions really do improve people’s experiences at the park and can be memorable, they don’t really have any return on the investment directly.