Carowinds Adds Summer Music Festival for 2024

2 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Hopefully KI follows suit with Timberwolf! This would be a perfect way to use Timberwolf! Maybe even try and book the same artists! 

I mean, you could summon a wizard who can raise people from the dead and then book Paul McCartney and the resurrected Beatles at Timberwolf and the reception would still be: “It’s a miracle, but man that venue sucks.”

• Haha 1

Carowinds does not appear to be getting Grand Carnivale this year.  Anyone familiar with their normal entertainment offerings?  Does it look like they have cut back on the regular shows this year?

Mostly wondering if this is being paid for by cuts elsewhere in the entertainment offerings.

Without Grand Carnivale there likely won't be RetroSpect, so that is one large cast not returning. The Peanuts show The Music Goes 'Round & 'Round will be in Harmony Hall again, which has a fairly small cast. The major production at the Carowinds Theater will be the return of Brad Ross: International Star Illusionist. And at least from what is listed right now there are possibly down a couple of the street shows like the 325s band and the Swell Tones.

Considering there had been large cast shows like Beach Blanket Beagle and other larger shows at Harmony Hall along with the various street shows in recent years, it appears that Carowinds has reduced its overall entertainment staffing for this season.

With the CF budget cuts, it wouldn't surprise me is 20 of the 30 shows are from the local third graders music classes, with the recorders.  They'll try to increase hot dog sales by having them play " Hot Cross Buns" repeatedly. :)

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I also think its cool that the concerts are included with the cost of admission!

I believe that's what Busch Gardens does with their concerts. It makes me wonder if CF learned from KI's concert series back in 2022 which KI charged extra for the concerts and didn't include park admission and decided to make the concerts at Carowinds free with park admission. 

16 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe that's what Busch Gardens does with their concerts. It makes me wonder if CF learned from KI's concert series back in 2022 which KI charged extra for the concerts and didn't include park admission and decided to make the concerts at Carowinds free with park admission. 

It would be awesome if this became a trend across the CF parks that have the means to do it.

I have long felt that Timberwolf should be removed.  The reason for that was because I just doubted we would see it be used, and I felt one weekend a year was not enough to justify its existence.  It’s not a true desire to see it torn down, but more that as a paid concert venue, it’s unlikely to really see much use, and it’s in a very valuable location.

A summer concert series, especially free with admission would change my views.  I would go from it needing to be torn down to it needs to be renovated into something more modern and would like to see at the very least a roof, and likely new seats.

I can see Kings Island trying this as well.  It works well for a lot of big parks, Busch Gardens, Sea World, Universal, and Disney all do free concerts.  It does feel like there will be something else on the schedule for Kings Island, not sure it will be a concert series but it is very possible.

If we can only budget for an outside Bubbles show for three weeks, I don't see them budgeting for a reno and free concerts. Especially since they would have to compete with acts with the new thing at the Land Formerly Known As Coney Island. 

24 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Especially since they would have to compete with acts with the new thing at the Land Formerly Known As Coney Island. 

The "new thing at the land formerly known as Coney Island" hasn't even broke ground yet and besides Carowinds also has to compete with nearby concert venues like the PNC Music Pavilion in Charlotte which is the same exact thing as Riverbend btw.

But Cincinnati is no Charlotte. The soon to be Six Flags is continuing to pour money into Carowinds to try to elevate it to elite status. I don't know that this is possible or probable.

Kings Island, on the other hand, would have to sink substantial money into Timberwolf, but they would still not be able to attract "top shelf" entertainment in the market. 

Timberwolf most likely will continue to perhaps host Spirit Song, cheerleaders, and high school bands...and store Winterfest decorations, until the money spent to demo it can be justified. Maybe I will be proven wrong.  But I suspect it's going to remain a relic from days gone by. 

17 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

The "new thing at the land formerly known as Coney Island" hasn't even broke ground yet…

While this is true, Timberwolf doesn’t even compete with or compare to the existing venues at the land formerly known as Coney Island.

And on top of that: the Lindner Tennis Center has announced plans to use their stadium across the street as a concert venue after a series of renovations.

Timberwolf’s only draw is that it happens to be connected to one of the nation’s best amusement parks. On its own: it’s been outdated for decades. Which is why it’s HILARIOUS that they thought they could charge a SEPARATE admission for it to a series where the beer ran out and had issues (while being sponsored by a beer company (one that was already on shaky ground and is now gone), the bathrooms were old, and the acts were… well, probably didn’t need all those seats for what they’d draw.