Kings Island 2024 Food Reviews and Discussion

SmartCat7162

9 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Maybe put it at mutliple locations?  Could Chicken Shack or Coney BBQ pull it off?

I think the challenge is it needs a "grill", not a fryer. Maybe when they redid CShack they should've factored that into the kitchen.  area

• Like 1

IMG_6094.jpeg
It has been widely reported that the double grilled chicken sandwich at the Rivertown Brewhouse, which was advertised to be a new food item along with the Dining Plans, has been permanently removed from the menu due to popular demand. This appears to now be official. 

You read that right. 

#CaveatEmptor #AsAdorableAsItIsPredictable

• Like 2

On 4/27/2024 at 9:40 AM, brenthodge said:

I think the challenge is it needs a "grill", not a fryer. Maybe when they redid CShack they should've factored that into the kitchen.  area

If that is the case maybe they move production to Wishbone grill? Plenty of grills in that location.

• Like 3

I went to Grain & Grill for dinner. Here is a look at the options on the hot plates.

Photo_1714344866824.jpg

Photo_1714344868743.jpg

I got the glazed beef and macaroni and cheese. The beef was very flavorful. It was a little dry. 7/10

The macaroni and cheese was more like dry macaroni with a few dry cheese flakes thrown in. 3/10.

Photo_1714344870465.jpg

I decided to try the Oreo brownie. The brownie was dry and the layer of Oreo icing did not really add any Oreo taste to it. I will give the brownie credit for being chocolatey rich. 5/10

Photo_1714344873869.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I went to Grain & Grill for dinner. Here is a look at the options on the hot plates.

Photo_1714344866824.jpg

Photo_1714344868743.jpg

I got the glazed beef and macaroni and cheese. The beef was very flavorful. It was a little dry. 7/10

The macaroni and cheese was more like dry macaroni with a few dry cheese flakes thrown in. 3/10.

Photo_1714344870465.jpg

I decided to try the Oreo brownie. The brownie was dry and the layer of Oreo icing did not really add any Oreo taste to it. I will give the brownie credit for being chocolatey rich. 5/10

Photo_1714344873869.jpg

What a glowing review LOL.  I have felt the same about the mac&cheese and felt like the desserts being made in house should be better.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I still can't believe they put children fingers in Grain and Grill.  Come on, Chef, be creative and stick with the theme!

Next thing you know, they will serve them at The French Corner or switch it to Cajun food... oops, wait they already did such a thing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I still can't believe they put children fingers in Grain and Grill.  Come on, Chef, be creative and stick with the theme!

Next thing you know, they will serve them at The French Corner or switch it to Cajun food... oops, wait they already did such a thing. 

I used to share the same sentiment.

Now I believe the reason why chicken tenders are sold at every location is so that families with young picky eaters can eat together.

Just my two cents.

• Like 7

19 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Food theme went out the window years ago with Festhaus food offerings  :P

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Supposedly the chicken fingers at G&G are different from other places in the park? My 11 year old only eats chicken tenders, literally no other meat. She's won't try pizza, Hotdogs, Hamburgers, Sausage, Turkey, Bacon, but says those are her favorite Chicken Tenders

• Like 1

I had Skyline yesterday at the park. The food was prepared well, and the fries were done perfectly.

However, the operations appeared to be more or less a dumpster fire. It was roughly 30 minutes in between ordering my food and receiving it.

Alot of custom orders I.E. cheese on the side, with or without mustard or onions. I get it, us Cincinnatians have our own particular way we like our Skyline. Some out of town folks call it "cult" like. :P

It appears that most people are not waiting in the line to receive their food but are congregating in large groups at the takeout window. Given that people were not waiting in line, the crew working the registers kept pumping out more tickets than the back kitchen could keep up with. This caused a lot of orders to be given out in error and food being sent back to be "Fixed." Which further delayed things. 

Not sure how they can prevent that, other than maybe attempting to make it more like a drive through or go with a chipotle model where you pick your fixings.

• Like 1

Isn't the Skyline in Coney Mall with touch screens?  Did they switch it to people on registers again?  Also, do they have physical tickets for the orders they're making or is it on screens?  They could just be bad at keeping the tickets in order if its actually on paper.   My first Skyline job was like that, though, Skyline restaurants do it where each person is at a specific station, doing strictly ways, coneys, etc.  KI does it assembly line style which is really unnecessary.  

I do get its early in the season, and it took me a while to get it down when I was first training at Skyline, but 30 minutes seems excessive.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Not sure how they can prevent that, other than maybe attempting to make it more like a drive through or go with a chipotle model where you pick your fixings.

When Skyline was on International Street, it unofficially was using the chipotle model.  You placed your order and as the line person was making it, you could request cheese on the side, light sauce, heavy onions etc.

For Coney Mall, it's generally a cluster on busy days and ran well on slow days. It seems to me, as never have been a chili slinger, that as long as the back of house is ahead of the demand, front of house should be able to crank it out. I think if mobile ordering ever comes into play, we could finally see wait times decrease as people adapt to it. 

I mean, it's pasta, sauce, cheese and onions. How hard can it be to slap that together if you have those basic things at the ready?

• Like 2

Just now, silver2005 said:

Isn't the Skyline in Coney Mall with touch screens?  Did they switch it to people on registers again?  Also, do they have physical tickets for the orders they're making or is it on screens?  They could just be bad at keeping the tickets in order if its actually on paper.   My first Skyline job was like that, though, Skyline restaurants do it where each person is at a specific station, doing strictly ways, coneys, etc.  KI does it assembly line style which is really unnecessary.  

I do get its early in the season, and it took me a while to get it down when I was first training at Skyline, but 30 minutes seems excessive.

They had people working registers and the tickets were on a screen. It was the longest food line I waited for. Now granted it's a busy weekend but I also ate at Enrique's and that lined moved fluidly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Figured I'd add some positive reviews lol.

I recently tried the burnt ends at Coney BBQ. And as someone who loves a good BBQ, I can confidently say that they've hit the nail on the head! I've now had the burnt ends several times and every time I've had them they've been cooked very good. The little bits of fat melts in your mouth and the sauce on them is just SO GOOD. The hush puppy they give you is also really good (big fan of hush puppies lol). I'd say the best side you can get with the burnt ends is the mac and cheese. All of that combined is very good and its now my go to meal at KI.

Very close to the burnt ends in second place is, of course, the pub burger at the Brewhouse. I had my first one of the season last visit before I had to clock in and it was very good as always.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

My Chicken fingers and mac and cheese lunch today at Coney BBQ. I sure hope the portion sizes go back up soon. This is more kids meal sized.

PXL_20240511_155944406.MP.jpg

My friend earlier had less than that - 2 tiny chicken fingers and no hush puppy.

• Like 1

These chicken strips at the Chicken Shack are dry, stringy and smaller than a wooly worm. They appear to be standard kindergarten issue strips...are they even hand breaded anymore or just out of a bag and into the oil?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

45 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

These chicken strips at the Chicken Shack are dry, stringy and smaller than a wooly worm. They appear to be standard kindergarten issue strips...are they even hand breaded anymore or just out of a bag and into the oil?

I don't think they are hand breaded, more like freezer crusted. Here is one I got last weekend. Before this season this was my favorite place to eat. Please bring back the old tenders KI!!!

PXL_20240512_202930280.MP.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I don't think they are hand breaded, more like freezer crusted. Here is one I got last weekend. Before this season this was my favorite place to eat. Please bring back the old tenders KI!!!

PXL_20240512_202930280.MP.jpg

That’s a good sized pigeon tender right there. :P