Man Struck By Roller Coaster at Kings Island Today

BoddaH1994

From the Butler County Dispatch social media:

"Kings Island (Mason) - Adult male struck by a roller coaster (unknown which one). Person was transported to UC West Chester Hospital and being flown by AirCare to UC Medial Center as a trauma alert."

Anyone know anything about this? I hope the person is okay! 

• Sad 3

A similar thing happened with Raptor at Cedar Point a while back where somebody entered a restricted zone and was killed when a train went by. I really hope this doesn't end up being a repeat of that and the person involved makes it out okay.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I hope we can get an update on their condition soon. Prayers they were not hurt badly. 

Knowing how these incidents usually go. They’re probably dead unfortunately 

7 minutes ago, FALLINLOVE09 said:

From the link: 

According to police, the guest, a 38-year-old male, was transported to the University of Cincinnati West Chester and then flown to UC Medical Center to be treated for his injuries. Police said the man sustained a "critical injury."

The Banshee ride will remain closed while authorities and park personnel investigate the incident.

• Like 1

Hey y'all, "Uncle Henry" here, long time no see. Didn't expect to be here again but just so happened I was in town visiting the park with family.... today.

Was in Action Zone AFTER 8 PM, riding Congo Falls as our last ride of the day to cool off. This news broke after we got back home and we were shocked to find out we were in the area in the aftermath of this accident. We saw no signs of anything out of the ordinary. So in that regard, kudos to the park for handling this in a way that didn't interfere with other guests. Really hope the person survived, but sadly all signs pointing to a fatality here. Invert coasters, by their nature, impact the highest part of a person's body if they're on the ground, and that's the most important part of the human body. REALLY hoping that whomever was on the ride that made impact with the victim is alright, as I know incidents like this can destroy the legs of the rider of impact.

Wishing the absolute best to the families of any and all victims of today.

• Like 4

I just don't know what goes through people's heads when they decide to risk their lives for lost articles? And this was someone who was nearly 40 years old not some dumb teenager. If he is still alive, hopefully he doesn't have any long term affects but I can't see where he won't get some sort of ban from the park for entering a restricted area. 

Also, if a rider sustained an injury from the impact, I hope they are ok and are compensated. No rider deserves to be hurt because of someone else's stupidity and/or park negligence in the case the park is somehow found at fault. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, KIC Mole said:

Hey y'all, "Uncle Henry" here, long time no see. Didn't expect to be here again but just so happened I was in town visiting the park with family.... today.

Was in Action Zone AFTER 8 PM, riding Congo Falls as our last ride of the day to cool off. This news broke after we got back home and we were shocked to find out we were in the area in the aftermath of this accident. We saw no signs of anything out of the ordinary. So in that regard, kudos to the park for handling this in a way that didn't interfere with other guests. Really hope the person survived, but sadly all signs pointing to a fatality here. Invert coasters, by their nature, impact the highest part of a person's body if they're on the ground, and that's the most important part of the human body. REALLY hoping that whomever was on the ride that made impact with the victim is alright, as I know incidents like this can destroy the legs of the rider of impact.

Wishing the absolute best to the families of any and all victims of today.

Great to hear from you again! 

What a terrible incident. What is supposed to be a fun day spent forgetting about the worries of the every day life turns into a tragedy. I really wish people would not risk entering a restricted area. Whatever your reason is, it's not worth it. Hopefully it's not a fatal accident. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnjniehaus said:

I just don't know what goes through people's heads when they decide to risk their lives for lost articles? And this was someone who was nearly 40 years old not some dumb teenager. If he is still alive, hopefully he doesn't have any long term affects but I can't see where he won't get some sort of ban from the park for entering a restricted area. 

Also, if a rider sustained an injury from the impact, I hope they are ok and are compensated. No rider deserves to be hurt because of someone else's stupidity and/or park negligence in the case the park is somehow found at fault. 

Agree. If you read about the guy in the 2015 Cedar Point incident, (same type of coaster) the family never knew what went through his head when he decided to retrieve his phone.

I just hope anyone who was affected by this guy’s decision (employees/riders) can be assured that it was not their fault. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johnjniehaus said:

The similar situation with Raptor at CP in 2015 was a 45 year old teacher.  It isn't always immature teens.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

The similar situation with Raptor at CP in 2015 was a 45 year old teacher.  It isn't always immature teens.

Yep. A lot of times there is a thought process with adults that goes something like: “I’m an adult, I know what I’m doing, I’ll be fine”… 

From what I can gather the individual was attempting to retrieve their car keys. Staff had told them to wait until park closing and they would go get them afterwards. The individual didn’t want to wait… 

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

That's probably true. I would just think that adults would be less willing to risk their lives over lost items. Teens typically have a won't happen to me attitude but maybe it's true that adults think they are smart enough to not get hit. 

1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

True, but being a teacher does not guarantee robust critical thinking skills. I speak from experience, as my brother, a teacher with a master's degree, is evidence of that. Great teacher, but on other issues... not so much.

Based on the description, this seems to have occurred in the pretzel loop low zone. If I understand the area correctly (a big "if"), this guy circumvented at least a couple of "employees only" barricades and signage, ran ~100 yards across backstage areas and a service road, and entered a heavily-marked "DANGER DO NOT ENTER" area with a difficult-to-climb barrier, and didn't anticipate nor hear a massive coaster train heading down a predictable path toward his location. So, there is a series of very, very poor choices there.

Very sad, but if I'm being honest, I feel far more for the injured rider than I do this guy. Play stupid games...

• Like 1

One positive is that it does not appear that any riders were injured.  No hints of this in any article I’ve read, or conversation I’ve had with someone who would likely know. 

If a rider has been injured, by now I’d expect a statement from the park like “a rider was reportedly treated for an injury”.

Still a heartbreaking situation for so many. It’s amazing how many people something like this affects. Family, responders, ride crew, and more. 

• Like 3

I was curious about possible injuries amongst riders but I guess no news is good news? Hopefully none of the riders were injured because getting hurt on a ride due to someone else's stupid decision would just really suck. 

48 minutes ago, DispatchMaster said:

Based on the description, this seems to have occurred in the pretzel loop low zone. If I understand the area correctly (a big "if"), this guy circumvented at least a couple of "employees only" barricades and signage, ran ~100 yards across backstage areas and a service road, and entered a heavily-marked "DANGER DO NOT ENTER" area with a difficult-to-climb barrier, and didn't anticipate nor hear a massive coaster train heading down a predictable path toward his location.

Also, the ride reaches its top speed during the pretzel element. Not that being struck during any other part of the ride would be any less significant but if this took place during the pretzel element then this guy was in the worst possible place to be in terms impact speed.

• Like 1