Golden Ticket Awards 2024

KIghostguy

The 2024 Golden Ticket Awards were tonight, and it's always fun to discuss the winners and rankings. The full list can be viewed here: https://amusementtoday.com/issues/2024/gta2024/assets/downloads/AT-GTA-2024i.pdf

If you are curious where Kings Island placed this year...

• #20 steel coaster (Diamondback)
  • #3 and #5 wooden coasters (The Beast and Mystic Timbers, respectively)
  • #5 best guest experience
  • #3 best kid's area
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

Has anyone seen Orion? I can’t find it listed with the other North American giga’s.

27th the spot behind Diamondback.

I never really spent much time looking at the top 50 in the past, but there is a lot of weird groupings.  Diamondback/Orion 26/27, Alpengeist/Pantheon 48/49, Beast/Mystic Timbers 6/7, and Boss/Screaming Eagle 39/40.  It feels like there is something wrong in the methodology.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, Kenban said:

I never really spent much time looking at the top 50 in the past, but there is a lot of weird groupings.  Diamondback/Orion 26/27, Alpengeist/Pantheon 48/49, Beast/Mystic Timbers 6/7, and Boss/Screaming Eagle 39/40.  It feels like there is something wrong in the methodology.

Yes, Orion is ranked to high lmao.

10 hours ago, Kenban said:

I've said time and time again, I don't listen to the major "polls" by the "experts". When I know several rank Voyage off of one night ride or the fact that somehow a group of individuals believe Cosmic Rewind is superior to Diamondback, Mako even.  Phoenix is a fun ride but to be #1 is a very strong sentiment I simply do not agree on. There are biases in every major poll, regional and national.

As for the objective IMO for Camp Snoopy to snag back the kids area crown, they fell flat. There was a distinct lack of foliage, and they honestly created a glorified playground without ample space for parents to actually sit and enjoy a reprieve. It took months for the actual area to get tidied up for guests to enjoy and actually get ample seating. 

It was very heavily rumored that COASTERSTOCK was cancelled for the ACE event to get those crucial votes that KI wanted, which looks as if it didn't give KI the edge they may have been looking for.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BB1 said:

I've said time and time again, I don't listen to the major "polls" by the "experts". When I know several rank Voyage off of one night ride or the fact that somehow a group of individuals believe Cosmic Rewind is superior to Diamondback, Mako even.  Phoenix is a fun ride but to be #1 is a very strong sentiment I simply do not agree on. There are biases in every major poll, regional and national.

As for the objective IMO for Camp Snoopy to snag back the kids area crown, they fell flat. There was a distinct lack of foliage, and they honestly created a glorified playground without ample space for parents to actually sit and enjoy a reprieve. It took months for the actual area to get tidied up for guests to enjoy and actually get ample seating. 

It was very heavily rumored that COASTERSTOCK was cancelled for the ACE event to get those crucial votes that KI wanted, which looks as if it didn't give KI the edge they may have been looking for.

They didn’t have SSBR or Camp Snoopy opened on time for the ACE event. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Tr0y said:

I’m a bit surprised that even after investing in Camp Snoopy that KI’s ranking for Best Kids Area dropped to 3

As much as it hurts to say I can't disagree with it's drop. We do have a great kids area, but you also have to convince people why it's the best kids area.  That's why there are marketing and comms departments. I realize some is controlled by Charlotte, but still. 

• Like 2

I have said it before and I will say it again lol, but I personally feel other CF parks have a better kids area than ours.  Families I know that hit that demographic all say Carowinds and KD and Wonderland all all better kids areas.  Heck some even say CPs is better.  More shade, more things to do, etc. 

But like everything in these Awards, it is opinion and personal feelings (and maybe some other factors ...) more than facts...

• Like 4

They just have to convince the right people. 

Like you @disco2000 I've heard about "better" kids areas in the chain at KD , Carowinds and CP. 

I mean at CP you've got 3 total kids areas....one is almost entirely shaded, one is the basic "fair" type feel and the other is in the middle of the two as far as "thrills"  for the kids. 

KI is almost all exclusively in the sun, the number of rides is good...the theme almost stops completely with the ride names, with a few having a little theme beyond the name. 

Wildwood Grove at Dollywood is not only immersive in the theming of the area, but the individual rides (alongside the names) and general feel. It's well deserved. 

Maybe one day, KI will get the hint.

• Like 1

They ought to ask the voice of the kids and get a tally number of what the kids think? Because the kids will tell you what they might be looking for in the kids area. The judges of the golden ticket awards are grown up like I am. 

15 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

As much as it hurts to say I can't disagree with it's drop. We do have a great kids area, but you also have to convince people why it's the best kids area.  That's why there are marketing and comms departments. I realize some is controlled by Charlotte, but still. 

Cannot blame Charlotte for the drop to No. 3 in the Golden Ticket Awards for Best Kids' Area or for Snoopy's Soap Box Racers not being a finalist in any category. (BTW, Good Gravy! at Holiday World was a finalist in multiple categories and won one Golden Ticket Award.) How the park promotes and tells the stories about their attractions, food, live entertainment, merchandise and more through PR, shared and owned channels is entirely on the comms department. 

Charlotte now controls special events and gives the park the game plan, but it's on the park to take what they're given and find a way to get people excited about it instead of making excuses. ("We didn't have the budget" for example.)  

• Like 3

On 9/8/2024 at 12:21 PM, Tr0y said:

I’m a bit surprised that even after investing in Camp Snoopy that KI’s ranking for Best Kids Area dropped to 3

The concept art would’ve landed them in 1-2, the execution gave them an undeserved 3. So many missed opportunities with that whole project. If they were TRYING to create an award winning kids area… well let’s just say they weren’t trying too hard! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, brenthodge said:

The concept art would’ve landed them in 1-2, the execution gave them an undeserved 3. So many missed opportunities with that whole project. If they were TRYING to create an award winning kids area… well let’s just say they weren’t trying too hard! 

One of the issues in falling to No. 3 was the lack of effective storytelling. The messaging was repetitive and one-dimensional: "Camp Snoopy new this year. Buy your Silver Pass!" followed by "Camp Snoopy now open. Buy your Silver Pass!" The focus was all on sales rather than crafting an engaging narrative. Outside of the park's backyard, there wasn't much chatter (and awareness) about Camp Snoopy and Snoopy's Soap Box Racers. As you mentioned, there were so many missed opportunities with the entire project. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

They ought to ask the voice of the kids and get a tally number of what the kids think? Because the kids will tell you what they might be looking for in the kids area. The judges of the golden ticket awards are grown up like I am. 

The problem is, the kids don't vote and unless they travel a lot with their parents, they are completely unaware of what actually is out there for them.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orion-XL200 said:

The problem is, the kids don't vote and unless they travel a lot with their parents, they are completely unaware of what actually is out there for them.

That demonstrates that they clearly missed the mark with those who do (vote) -parents. Wildwood  grove has indoor play areas with seating, tons of shaded seating, attractive new restrooms, unique shopping, elevated dining, live music and rich storytelling that all appeal to the adults bringing their kids to yet area. Planet Snoopy has… rides. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DonHelbig said:

One of the issues in falling to No. 3 was the lack of effective storytelling. The messaging was repetitive and one-dimensional: "Camp Snoopy new this year. Buy your Silver Pass!" followed by "Camp Snoopy now open. Buy your Silver Pass!" The focus was all on sales rather than crafting an engaging narrative. Outside of the park's backyard, there wasn't much chatter (and awareness) about Camp Snoopy and Snoopy's Soap Box Racers. As you mentioned, there were so many missed opportunities with the entire project. 

the storytelling could’ve definitely helped tie the area together since it fell so sort of both substance (one real “new” ride and a budget cut play area) and ultimately style with most of the place making being eliminated. While Adventure Port certainly wasn’t “Disney” quality, at least there was a cohesive narrative (even if the original “mythical village” story never really seemed to be told outside of marketing materials) I think at some level it’s the difference in having a theme-based design firm (like JRA) involved vs. whoever cut and pasted ideas from the concept art for camp snoopy. They couldn’t even allocate funds to stain the entire area concrete- making it actually more of a mess than it was before. 

• Like 1