Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
kingsislandfan1972

Haunt 2019 Discussion

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, AZ Kinda Guy said:

Well the good news is I don’t think it can be any worse than it was in 2018. 

Do you ever have anything positive to say? I have never seen a single post made by you that has been positive. I can't tell if you're just miserable or trying to get people wild up.

Also, give a reason. Don't just blurt dull opinions out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haunt 2018 was pitiful due to budget restraints. It was the most disappointing  Haunt that I’ve been too. It’s really only up from there, I guess. 

I feel like th focus now is shifting to Winterfest, which in my opinion is a good thing. 

So, we’ll see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, beastfan11 said:

Haunt 2018 was pitiful due to budget restraints.

Budget restrains?

1. How could you possibly know anything about the park's budget?

2. We got a new maze, a new show, and two new scare zones. Those aren't free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 139Signal27 said:

Budget restrains?

1. How could you possibly know anything about the park's budget?

2. We got a new maze, a new show, and two new scare zones. Those aren't free.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cedar-fair-reports-revenues-through-july-4th-holiday-weekend-300678918.html

 

While I don’t have specific numbers regarding the 2018 Haunt budget, it’s been discussed that numbers through 7/4 resulted in a much scaled back event. The results were pretty evident. That’s my opinion anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, JubJester said:

Sure seemed like one of the busiest years for Haunt.

It might have been. Cedar Fair was basically “giving away the gate,” so to speak. The forth quarter featured a number of different promotions to drive attendance and increase in park spending/revenue. That had nothing to do with the quality of 2018’s Haunt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, beastfan11 said:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cedar-fair-reports-revenues-through-july-4th-holiday-weekend-300678918.html

 

While I don’t have specific numbers regarding the 2018 Haunt budget, it’s been discussed that numbers through 7/4 resulted in a much scaled back event. The results were pretty evident. That’s my opinion anyway. 

I'm not seeing that in this article. In fact, it mentions expanded events like Haunt and Winterfest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, 139Signal27 said:

I'm not seeing that in this article. In fact, it mentions expanded events like Haunt and Winterfest.

 Well, given the article was written in July (before Haunt 2018) I don’t think it could possibly make any specific reference to the attendance or quality of the events. Haunt (amongst other things) was scaled back in 2018 as a result the third quarter:

Net revenue was down 2% as a result of a 3% drop in attendance. 

If you enjoyed Haunt in 2018 then that’s great. In my opinion (and this sentiment is shared by others) it was a little on the disappointing side in comparison to years past. Nonetheless, I’d say it was obviously scaled back. Haunt always draws bigger crowds due to the nature of the event. It doesn’t matter if there are fifteen mazes or seven. My point is that the quality wasn’t there, and that was almost expected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

 My point is that the quality wasn’t there, and that was almost expected. 

Oh I can definitely agree with you there. Though, I feel that had been the case for many years. It seems that complacency is more to blame than budgets, however. I believe Haunt should be maintained at the same standards as WinterFest. It seems that Haunt has simply become routine instead of driving innovation and quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 139Signal27 said:

Oh I can definitely agree with you there. Though, I feel that had been the case for many years. It seems that complacency is more to blame than budgets, however. I believe Haunt should be maintained at the same standards as WinterFest. It seems that Haunt has simply become routine instead of driving innovation and quality.

See that’s where the issue lies with Haunt. There’s really no reason for them to invest more into the event if the numbers are doing well. But I too wish we could see Haunt on the same level as Winterfest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets keep on subject. Instead of complaining about 2018, share how you think the park can improve haunt for 2019.

  • I really loved the new area Pumpkin Eater. It would be nice to include a few new scare areas like that next year. 
  • The Coney Maul area I think would have been better if not stretched out so far. I think it should have been 1/2 as long to get the affect they were looking for there. I would also move it to the path next to Dodgems and behind BLSC. That way it is only for people that want to go through it. 
  • To me the houses is what draws the people. I think adding one new house per year is the way to go.  I don't have anything else to add to improve those. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

To me the houses is what draws the people. I think adding one new house per year is the way to go.  I don't have anything else to add to improve those. 

Agree with this.  I attended only 1 night this year, it was the First Saturday of October, so It's possible it got better closer to Halloween, but The houses/mazes just seemed to be lacking scare actors.  I went through all of the mazes that night with the Fright Lane.  For instance, IIRC Killmart had only 2 scare actors.  The rest of this particular maze seemed more like a scenery walk through.  

Though some were quite a bit better in this regard than others, its just Killmart stood out as being the worst at this on my go around.  I say focus on making the houses that are driving the attendance a better experience with the right amount of scare actors and props etc,  and up that quality some before adding more. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a refocus of quality vs. quantity would be beneficial. There are too many mazes in my my opinion. I’d rather see fewer well executed mazes with more personnel than more mazes that suffer the same fate as Killmart as described above. It would also be cool to have each area of the park be specifically themed or turned into a scarezone. Something like this was done years ago during the Fear Fest days with Rivertown being converted into “Sleepy Hollow. I thought that was tight. 

The return of Route 666 with the new Tiques would be a no brainer. 

Winterfest has proven that they do have the ability to go pretty immersive with their events, so if I had one wish for Haunt 2019 I guess it would be for it to get a bit of an overhaul to reflect the level of quality set by Winterfest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.  Right now, they seem to be so focused on quantity, which I understand to some extent, that some of the houses are very limited on Scareactors.  They are also very short.  I would much rather have some longer houses (with interior and exterior elements) and have a longer wait, than to walk through a Killmart or Wolfpack that take 2 or 3 minutes to walkthrough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would prefer to have less- actor houses where there the scare factor comes from props and the illusion of "who's there?"

I've been a few attractions that have no people whatsoever, but rather had creepy props and some animated figures which made me kept thinking someone was going to jump out at any given moment.

Jumpscares are quick ways to scare people but they aren't as "intimate" and people get over them quick. If they de-actor some of the houses and add some more props it might add to the creepy factor.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For mazes: 

  • In my opinion, I think it’s time for Ugent Scare (and maybe Wolf Pack) to retire.
  • Urgent Scare could be replaced with a new version of Carnevil to fit the Coney Maul Scare zone.
  • Wolf Pack could be replaced with a whole new concept. Maybe one based off Banshee.

Also, I hope they bring a better show to International Showplace Theater (maybe move Blood Drums there?!) & an all new show to the Kings Island Theater (maybe a Halloween cirque show?!)

As for scare zones:

  • Dance of the Macabre would use a lot of work making it more scary than just a random photo-op. They could execute this (no pun intended) by extending it all the way down International Street, adding a new opening ceremonies & show to the Bandstand. They could do so much with this theme! 
  • Coney Maul could use a lot more theming (maybe the lack of themeing was due to the construction of the Antique Cars. With this zone, they could have a new incarnation of Carnevil where Urgent Scare currently is.
  • Based off the popularity of Pumpkin Eater, they could extend it more down toward Larosa’s & the splash down on Diamondback.
  •  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There definitely has been a transition from an adult theme of years past to a more family friendly theme that occurred in 2018 (even my friends that attended commented that 2018 was much more family friendly) - I would image 2019 will bring even more family friendly events, shows, and scareless zones.  My opinion is supported by the movement in the International Showplace from Dead Awakenings (remember the sheer white teddy nighty costume) to Hot Blooded (lots of blood, vampires, and scantily designed dancer costumes) to Haunted Homecoming (which was very poorly done in my opinion) that was so lame like a G family movie with nothing really adult themed and you could snooze through.  (Go back and watch the YouTube videos of all three shows over the years). And Club Blood with its shirtless vampire men transitioned into a more family haunt of Blackout a few years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do agree that it does seem as though the Haunts have been toned down a bit in some aspects to be more appealing to a wider range of people. I think Haunt/Fearfest was never really meant to be family-oriented (hence why they have the stuff during the daytime), but if this is what they're going for, maybe they could have some kiddie haunts over in Planet Snoopy, or something along those lines that's "scary" enough for kids who actually want to participate in Haunt, and then make the actual Haunts more adult-oriented like they've been in the past.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ki95 said:

For mazes: 

  • In my opinion, I think it’s time for Ugent Scare (and maybe Wolf Pack) to retire.
  • Urgent Scare could be replaced with a new version of Carnevil to fit the Coney Maul Scare zone.
  • Wolf Pack could be replaced with a whole new concept. Maybe one based off Banshee.

Also, I hope they bring a better show to International Showplace Theater (maybe move Blood Drums there?!) & an all new show to the Kings Island Theater (maybe a Halloween cirque show?!)

As for scare zones:

  • Dance of the Macabre would use a lot of work making it more scary than just a random photo-op. They could execute this (no pun intended) by extending it all the way down International Street, adding a new opening ceremonies & show to the Bandstand. They could do so much with this theme! 
  • Coney Maul could use a lot more theming (maybe the lack of themeing was due to the construction of the Antique Cars. With this zone, they could have a new incarnation of Carnevil where Urgent Scare currently is.
  • Based off the popularity of Pumpkin Eater, they could extend it more down toward Larosa’s & the splash down on Diamondback.
  •  

There actually was a Halloween themed cirque show in 2014 (I think) that took the place of Hot Blooded for that year.  It was the same production company that has done the other cirque shows at KI.  Unfortunately for many the show failed to captivate the audiences the way that the other cirque shows did.  Ironically, "Skeleton Crew," the show with the same name at Cedar Point is well beloved and is a completely different show.  

In a perfect world, I'd love to see them bring back Dead Awakening - which was the show before Hot Blooded.  I don't think they have the audacity to do that.  Nearly anything would be better than what they had last year.  If I wanted to watch a dumpster fire I'd go downtown.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

There actually was a Halloween themed cirque show in 2014 (I think) that took the place of Hot Blooded for that year.  It was the same production company that has done the other cirque shows at KI.  Unfortunately for many the show failed to captivate the audiences the way that the other cirque shows did.  Ironically, "Skeleton Crew," the show with the same name at Cedar Point is well beloved and is a completely different show.  

In a perfect world, I'd love to see them bring back Dead Awakening - which was the show before Hot Blooded.  I don't think they have the audacity to do that.  Nearly anything would be better than what they had last year.  If I wanted to watch a dumpster fire I'd go downtown.

I do remember Dead Awakening & Skeleton Crew. What I meant in regards to the cirque show was a possible new & original concept for KI only (since Gravity has proven to be an AMAZING original for KI)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ki95: I love the idea of getting rid of Urgent Scare and putting a bigger clown maze back there. It could be themed to an abondoned theater where clowns have taken over.

Also, Route 666 could be interesting. I never did it back in the day, but it sounds like an interesting concept. However, there is the possibilty of accidents due to the drivers getting scared, so there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish they would make it an upcharge event.  The amount of crowds and unruley teens and adults for the matter make the park almost impossible to visit durnig this time.  When we go to the park in the fall we are always out of the gates by 5:00 for this reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that ship has long since sailed.  Haunt was an upcharge the first several years it was held at Kings Island, back when it was known as FearFest.  2000, 2001 and 2002 it was an upcharge event.  Then they made it free with passes starting in 2003.  There were a couple of years after including it with passes that they opened some of the indoor haunted houses in mid afternoon.  

If you tried to make it an upcharge now, pass holders would surely be upset with the loss of what use to be included.  Besides, the immense crowds during Haunt surely help fill the coffers.  Also, it bears mentioning that Kings Island is one of the few Cedar Fair parks that stays open until 1am during Haunt.  I believe most of the others close at midnight.  There are still some hard ticketed events within the Cedar Fair Chain.  I believe Scarowinds and Knott`s Scary Farm are the stand outs in that aspect, but they have always been a separate charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×