Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

4 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

When was your last visit to Grain and Grill...;) 

Tuesday. Its not "food poisoning" it's the virus going around. I could have picked it up at Kings Island, or at Kroger on Wednesday...or from the neighbor who gave me some garden produce.  

PXL_20230802_000259641.jpg

• Like 3

On 8/4/2023 at 11:22 AM, Timchat2 said:

I had a relatively positive experience with Grain & Grill yesterday. The pasta included beef as a welcome bit of protein and the naan was reasonably soft and fresh. Consistency of offerings and ingredients still varies greatly but this was enough to keep a little hope alive for me:

No description available.

AHHHH "Enough to keep a little hope alive" Just the EXACT thing every new restaurant hopes for in their online reviews! (I totally agree - so I'm not slamming you at all). That's a pathetic goal to aspire to. Add to that sporadic at best - non existent at worst training of the front line staff on new policies and non-sensical policies, almost non-existent marketing about monthly specials, monthly specials that stay on easily updated digital menus into the next month - but are no longer available, special deserts that you have to wade through the entire service line to get to... again I feel like they are actively WANTING people to leave the park and go to Wendy's (maybe it's an inside arrangement we aren't aware of. I think the Skyline over there still runs their train with 6 cars, so at least THEY haven't cut their budgets LOL)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, chuck norris said:

Observed today at coconut cove cafe in Soak City where the “Mobile ordering coming soon” sign had been.

5eaea1f65c8bf5043c74ba6e43930cc4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an interesting way to do it. At Disney there is a separate counter to walk up to, to receive your mobile order. I’m curious to how this can work on a busy day, especially if people don’t arrive on time, and they run out of food lockers.  I guess at that point they will no longer take mobile orders till lockers free up? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

This is an interesting way to do it. At Disney there is a separate counter to walk up to, to receive your mobile order. I’m curious to how this can work on a busy day, especially if people don’t arrive on time, and they run out of food lockers.  I guess at that point they will no longer take mobile orders till lockers free up? 

At CP they give you like 10-15 minutes and they cancel and remove food.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

They fill from the back at least the ones I've used. You get a code to enter and it unlocks the door locker. 

Do you tell them a time you want it? Do they text you “ready” seems like an odd way to do it when you could just have them pick up at a designated line. I guess this way makes it less “staffed” 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Do you tell them a time you want it? Do they text you “ready” seems like an odd way to do it when you could just have them pick up at a designated line. I guess this way makes it less “staffed” 

Yes you put in what time you want to pick it up and then they send a text with the code (or it shows up on app) when it is ready for pickup and after 10-15min the order is canceled as they don't want the food sitting there too long.

Believe me this method is more efficient and faster from a guest perspective than like Enriques.  In that scenario you go thru the door labeled mobile order and then you "fight the line" of people coming thru the regular line to get your order (if they are running both sides).  So if you aren't aggressive and cut in an opening you won't get your food.

Coasters at CP was great - a door on the side and you go into a little room that is only mobile orders that you simply scan the code and a door opens like an Amazon pick up.  Not having to fight the regular line is a huge bonus with these lockers.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

When I was at CP, the mobile ordering at coasters didn't work with the meal plan. Maybe it's different now?

It seems to be touchy.  I know some that could only redeem one meal plan per order and others could load up a couple of passes - on the same day lol.

The biggest issue is having to type in the pass number lol.  The food order is in the app and you would think it could pull the pass from there instead of having to manually enter the pass number lol.

There is still a lot of work that needs to be done before it gains acceptance and usage.  If the line isn't long it is faster to go thru it than via mobile ordering lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sp was hoping we would see Aug Chef specials around the park but guess NOT that much.

Finally found French Corner open and saw they have a Specialty Sandwich this month of a KI Hot Brown.

Of course it is NOT on the meal plan... Why not?

Also daughter wanted a Ham croissant and of course they have dropped the ham from the menu this year now... WTH.

• Like 1

The new Korean (or Mongolian according to the KI Instagram) meatballs and fried rice are pretty good, grading on the Grain & Grill curve. Along with the naan it makes for a nice little meal. 

It's nice to see the park implicitly acknowledge that G&G hasn't been the greatest this season. Hopefully it can at least settle in like French Corner as a place for tasty (but tiny) dining credit burn-offs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll say I was not sold on the Adventure Port concept when it was announced. Even going into the park I wish that Oktoberfest was expanded upon. That being said, it's been growing on me with Enrique's; the food is actually not that bad and you get so much value in a burrito bowl. Couple it with the back porch dining area next to the lake and it has quickly become one of my favorite places to eat in the park. The steak burrito bowl with the verde, pico, and the lime alone sets it above most of the in-park food as Grain and Grill hasn't been sitting too well in the past few visits. 

• Like 2

Had some really good food today during my visit.

Meal 63: Steak w/sauce, Pesto pasta, and a biscuit for lunch. 
Meal 64: Brisket, Mac & Cheese with Cornbread for dinner.

No this isn’t KI, these cuts of meat are too expensive. :P

IMG_1565.jpeg

IMG_1553.jpeg

• Like 3

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, chuck norris said:

PR department has been awful. I haven’t seen anything on winterfest food offerings (dining plan or not)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to budget cuts, they figure since they already got your money and folks will gobble down whatever is available on the meal plan, so why waste money marketing it :P

35 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

The menus have been released, a day before the event. Seems quite lame to me. 

IMG_8771.jpeg

That’s how it was at KD and BGW. Not many holiday options other than the standard holiday food: turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. There was a decent amount of options at both parks when it came down to snacks and sweets tho.

I wish they would post the dates and times for the winter buffet at the International Restaurant which isn’t even listed on here.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

That’s how it was at KD and BGW. Not many holiday options other than the standard holiday food: turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, etc. There was a decent amount of options at both parks when it came down to snacks and sweets tho.

I wish they would post the dates and times for the winter buffet at the International Restaurant which isn’t even listed on here.

Am I missing it, but other than holiday meatloaf and mac-n-cheese, what are the changes over the summer meals?  I thought FestHaus had some seasonal items in the past?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Am I missing it, but other than holiday meatloaf and mac-n-cheese, what are the changes over the summer meals?  I thought FestHaus had some seasonal items in the past?

Honestly, I think it’s just harder to see what’s different on the list because there isn’t an asterisk or special marker to signify it’s a holiday special option. I missed out on quite a few seasonal and monthly specials because of it. With only finding knowledge on those via here or I had the luck of seeing it while walking by.

The video posted with the menu reveal makes it much clearer to see on what specials are available for Winterfest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tr0y said:

I went ahead and highlighted in yellow the special meal options on the Winterfest menu provided. Feel free to correct any mistakes or if anything should be added:

IMG_3794.jpeg

Thanks for that...I am guessing though that half of what is "holiday" is renamed for the holiday vs anything special.

• Like 1