Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

I went ahead and highlighted in yellow the special meal options on the Winterfest menu provided. Feel free to correct any mistakes or if anything should be added:

IMG_3794.jpeg.c6dd0cc7848fda46748027256cf195aa.jpeg

Smoked Turkey at smokehouse and the shaved beef at grain and grill (#5) look new to me as well.

Overall, for the few times I attend winterfest, this menu looks like some decent new options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

Winter Buffet now charging extra for dessert.

IMG_2587.jpeg

Nickel and dime ya.  Is Kinzel back LOL

Do they proofread these?

So given where the comma is for "Open select Nights," does that mean on some nights the Dining Plan & Souvenir Hot Chocolate ARE accepted at this location on the other nights:P

Ate at Coney BBQ and enjoyed the turkey. The corn soufflé was okay.  Nothing was too special with the turkey, and we’ve had it before. 

Had the Mac n cheese bar for a second meal and I was extremely underwhelmed. The chicken was dry, the cheese sauce was meh and the offerings of toppings were not as good as what we’ve had in the past. 

3 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Ate at Coney BBQ and enjoyed the turkey. The corn soufflé was okay.  Nothing was too special with the turkey, and we’ve had it before. 

Had the Mac n cheese bar for a second meal and I was extremely underwhelmed. The chicken was dry, the cheese sauce was meh and the offerings of toppings were not as good as what we’ve had in the past. 

They already got your money :P

But they missed a real upcharge opportunity at Coney BBQ and could have charged to provide gravy with the turkey ;)

The first year of the mac-n-cheese bar was the best.  It has been getting worse every year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

They already got your money :P

But they missed a real upcharge opportunity at Coney BBQ and could have charged to provide gravy with the turkey ;)

The first year of the mac-n-cheese bar was the best.  It has been getting worse every year.

Haha! I enjoyed the turkey, it was nice and moist. Gravy or stuffing would have been a good addition or cranberry relish. 

the first year of Mac n cheese bar was amazing. I had hopes that after KD added their year round restaurant (no longer available) we would get it, to that caliber. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, baarsofia42 said:

It's unfortunate when a few individuals spoil things for everyone else. Sharing hacks that violate park rules not only undermines the experience for those who genuinely want to enjoy a celebration but also risks creating a negative environment for everyone. It's essential to remember the impact our actions can have on the broader community.

Respecting rules and guidelines helps maintain a positive and enjoyable atmosphere for everyone. If you discover a hack, it's worth considering the potential consequences before sharing it publicly. Keeping such information to oneself can contribute to a better overall experience for all visitors and ensure that parks can continue offering enjoyable celebrations without unnecessary restrictions.

Totally agree, also welcome to KIC!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, baarsofia42 said:

It's unfortunate when a few individuals spoil things for everyone else. Sharing hacks that violate park rules not only undermines the experience for those who genuinely want to enjoy a celebration but also risks creating a negative environment for everyone. It's essential to remember the impact our actions can have on the broader community.

Respecting rules and guidelines helps maintain a positive and enjoyable atmosphere for everyone. If you discover a hack, it's worth considering the potential consequences before sharing it publicly. Keeping such information to oneself can contribute to a better overall experience for all visitors and ensure that parks can continue offering enjoyable celebrations without unnecessary restrictions.

Exactly, if you discover a hack, keep it to yourself, and milk every living penny you can get out of it for as long as possible so it takes the company longer to catch on and you get more value out of your money.

Remember; Loose lips, sink ships... and by ships I mean anti-corporate endeavors.

7 hours ago, baarsofia42 said:

While it's important to explore creative solutions, ethical considerations should guide our actions. Engaging in practices that exploit loopholes or go against the principles of fairness may have consequences. It's advisable to prioritize integrity and transparency in our endeavors, ensuring a more sustainable and positive impact. Remember, ethical choices contribute to a healthier and more trustworthy environment for everyone involved.

Got Bot?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/28/2023 at 1:06 AM, baarsofia42 said:

While it's important to explore creative solutions, ethical considerations should guide our actions. Engaging in practices that exploit loopholes or go against the principles of fairness may have consequences. It's advisable to prioritize integrity and transparency in our endeavors, ensuring a more sustainable and positive impact. Remember, ethical choices contribute to a healthier and more trustworthy environment for everyone involved.

My effort to follow ethics are subject to change without notice.

On 11/28/2023 at 1:06 AM, baarsofia42 said:

While it's important to earn money to support yourself, our actions should not include being a spam bot.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, chad_1138 said:

Completely ridiculous charging and additional $7.99 for dessert.  It's a freaking buffet.  I'm cool with limiting 1 dessert per person, but not charging extra.

This way it will encourage people instead to do the decorating cookies or buy fudge or some other treat :P  (being sarcastic but it could be their thought process too LOL).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

This way it will encourage people instead to do the decorating cookies or buy fudge or some other treat :P  (being sarcastic but it could be their thought process too LOL).

Very true.  We typically do the cookie decorating, however, this year is should have been called "Decorate a Rock" with Mrs. Claus.

10 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

For those with multiple visits this season, is it a rotating menu or different carve it ups each weekend?

It is rented out thru the 18th and I think only one or two days have been the "select Nights" open to the GP, but I believe it has been the same for those nights.

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2023 at 12:55 PM, disco2000 said:

Now if this were Facebook, the next 20 posts would be "Is this on the meal plan" :P

I occasionally peruse the FB groups which occasionally leads to me losing brain cells.

In all honesty I felt as if the food quality and diversity nosedived after Chef Major was promoted. I’m going to give the new head chef credit where it’s due, there have been several unique items that have came to the food Venues but also we lost tri tip to chicken tenders at Coney BBQ, which is almost more sacrilegious than RMC’ing a certain wooden coaster. Of course, I have to give credit as Chef Major is working with food for special event line ups, which I believe WF should fall under it. I honestly enjoyed the honey baked style ham, but the Mac and cheese had me wanting more than what I got. Even my sister, the biggest Mac and cheese enthusiast out there was unimpressed with the lineup we got. Keep it simple, make it something that is what people want not a Mexican take on Mac and cheese. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, BB1 said:

In all honesty I felt as if the food quality and diversity nosedived after Chef Major was promoted. I’m going to give the new head chef credit where it’s due, there have been several unique items that have came to the food Venues but also we lost tri tip to chicken tenders at Coney BBQ, which is almost more sacrilegious than RMC’ing a certain wooden coaster. Of course, I have to give credit as Chef Major is working with food for special event line ups, which I believe WF should fall under it.

I agree with you on this for sure. I feel like they start our restaurants with great menus and then decide to just throw chicken tenders or burgers on the menu a couple years later...nothing real worthy of redeeming a meal plan. 

Chef Major has spent a lot of time at CP to start this year out and it was seen based on the quality and variety of new items throughout the season. Much appreciated there.

• Like 1

Personally i have found KI food far inferior to that of Kings Dominion and Carowinds.  Even when Major was there.  I was surprised he was promoted given the low food quality.  

The Coney Barbeque has always been subpar.  Coldish food, lackluster sides.  Inferior meats (where’s the brisket)  Oh and a dinky greasy huspuppie instead of corn bread or a biscuit.  Plus that awful cold barbeque sauce from the pump.   

Grain and Grill at KD is excellent.  This is coming along at KI, but it wasn’t installed under Major   The food was not good there this summer, but it has greatly improved for Winterfest.

The burrito place is among the worst of that genre that I have eaten.  There is a far superior and less expensive Chipotle right outside the gate  

Maybe the Brewhouse had a better menu under him, but I don’t eat there much 

And finally that nasty looking and tasting LaRosas pizza.   The chef doesn’t get the blame for that since it is a sponsorship deal.  But it’s horrible advertisement for their restaurants.

At least the hamburgers have been good.  But fries only with them.  At KD and Carowinds there is a choice of sides.