2023 Live Entertainment Discussions

IndyGuy4KI

9 hours ago, robintodd said:

Saw Phanotm last night and spoke to the cast.  Seems as though it's not a pre-recorded tap track but instead they had a tapper miked on their shoes.  They seemed to add a 2nd and/or 3rd miked tap shoe and it makes a big difference.

Also love how the show is evolving and they are chaning things up each performance as to not make it the same thing all 4 shows in a day.  Little tweeks that the GP wouldn't notice but I'm sure it keeps it fresh for the cast and us regulars.

Agree. They were really camping it up today with little off the cuffs and side remarks. And whoever made the observation about the “is that still there” line about boo blasters… yeah… there’s really some loaded pauses and hints in those lines this year. That-coupled with the fact that’s the only “rides of yesterday” highlighted in AdventureAwaits leads me to think there’s more brewing in that stew pot. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Agree. They were really camping it up today with little off the cuffs and side remarks. And whoever made the observation about the “is that still there” line about boo blasters… yeah… there’s really some loaded pauses and hints in those lines this year. That-coupled with the fact that’s the only “rides of yesterday” highlighted in AdventureAwaits leads me to think there’s more brewing in that stew pot. 

I want to see Phantom Theater make a return at some point (as long as the new version is good), but I do not think we should read too much into the teasers from Kings Island. The park knows that people speculate about the ride coming back just like they do with Son of Beast, so the references could just be the park having fun.

Also, this is me being genuinely curious, but how viable would a new Phantom Theater be? Is there a large enough audience that will remember the short-lived attraction and will make a point to visit the park to try out a new version. I feel like most fans seems to be die-hard Kings Island fans that will visit the park anyways. I know the same thing could be said for bringing back the antique cars, but that is a much smaller investment than a new dark ride (assuming it is done right).

Cutting the budget on live entertainment is another financially stupid move long term.  It further alienates the non thrill customers that already dint have enough to do at Cedar Fair parks.   They seem to just want ti regurgitate the same thrill seeking market and not attract new demographics 

• Like 4

Alright tonight I saw PTE for the second time and I think it's an absolutely amazing show and I will be greatly disappointed if the phantom Theater ride doesn't somehow return to the park. Seeing the direction of the park with tying in nostalgia with new themes I would think a Phantom Theater revival would be right up their alley. For example they brought back the antique cars, sol spin is a modern Skylab, cargo loco pays homage to the keggers, and they even brought in a lesser version of flying eagles to Planet Snoopy. Even the re-tracking of racer and beast, the organ restoration on Grand Carousel, and the theming enhancements to Adventure Express show how the park is trying to restore some of the older rides to former glory while paying homage to defunct rides by building their modern equivalents. Also, has anyone noticed that Boo Blasters is in exceptionally bad shape this year? Like I've gotten so many broken blasters and I've even got blasters now that set off the targets and don't actually compute the score. Animatronics are broken, all sound and theme has been removed from the que, the strobe lights at the end don't work and service lights seem to be on during certain parts of the ride. If the plan is to give boo blaster the axe, that could explain why they're kinda letting it fall into disrepair. 

I got to see Adventure Awaits this evening as well. It was a really good follow up to the 50th anniversary show however, I found the song to be just ok and the audio was kinda bland and generic (smoothing about memories). The lazers and the drones look amazing this year and even the fountain had some cool choreography. 

• Like 3

Caught PTE over the weekend (and bought the new shirt) and I loved it even more than last year. They seemed to have settled into the show as a whole and are having a lot of fun with it. Love the ad libs. All the changes made seem to be for the better. Can’t wait to see it again! 

• Like 2

I would have liked KI's RetroSpect to have a live band too, especially for the extra energy it would have brought to performances during Grand Carnivale. Also a live band allows a show to grow, tighten up and get stronger as the season progresses.

But I'm guessing with the apparent budget cuts to live entertainment across the Cedar Fair parks Kings Island probably needed to streamline things a bit while still offering as many as major productions as possible.

In the case of RetroSpect they must have felt that The 70s On Demand was more in need of a live band. It's possible too that 70s On Demand almost requires a band since the music appears to be totally live and the park probably didn't want to go through the time and expense of recording a full backing track. I assume part of the efficiencies that came with producing RetroSpect for five parks was only having to record music for one show instead each park doing its own thing. 

With RetroSpect at Carowinds, Kings Dominion and (I believe) Worlds of Fun also being band-free it appears Dorney is the exception with its live musicians . Perhaps since Dorney does not really have major shows otherwise the park decided to put more of its chips on RetroSpect so to speak.

• Like 2

Don’t get too excited about Phantom Theater returning to the park.   I feel if the ride returns it will be a cheap screen based version like Knotts Bear-y Tales remake.    Not the quality, near Disney quality, animatronic version that we had before.   Cedar Fair has not installed a quality dark ride to date.  

• Like 2

A Mesmerizing Adventure: Phantom Theater Encore at Kings Island

Rating: ★★★★☆

Kings Island's Phantom Theater Encore takes audiences on a captivating journey, revitalizing fond memories of the park's iconic former ride, the Phantom Theater. This show, anchored by the enigmatic characters No Legs Larry and Maestro, weaves together a series of amusing interruptions and incredible acts.

The story unfolds with humor and finesse as the mischievous stage hands, Willis and Boris, seize the limelight to perform their enthralling acrobatic act, "Caught in the Ropes." The duo's flawless execution leaves the crowd in awe, setting the stage for what promises to be an extraordinary performance.

However, just when the three glorious headliners, Houdilini, Hilda Bovine, and Garbanzo, are about to grace the stage, they find themselves bamboozled once more. It appears that fate has different plans, as the B cast members replace them, stunning the audience with a marvelous tap dance act.

Despite these setbacks, when the trio finally has the opportunity to showcase their talents, the magic truly comes alive. Houdilini, with his mastery of illusion, astounds the crowd by pulling an array of animals from his seemingly bottomless magic hat. The anticipation builds until a ferocious rabbit unexpectedly emerges, injecting a thrilling element of surprise.

The enchanting Hilda Bovine follows, captivating listeners with her ethereal voice that soars higher and higher. With each note, her powerful vocals shatter glass, symbolizing the transformative power of her performance. While the idea may seem ominous, the execution is impressive and proves to be a highlight of the show.

Garbanzo, the daredevil of the group, takes center stage as he propels himself out of a cannon with extraordinary precision. The audience gasps collectively, their hearts racing, only to be replaced with jubilation as he lands safely, defying all odds. Garbanzo's exhilarating act serves as a fitting grand finale to an evening of sensational entertainment.

Phantom Theater Encore brings together an exceptional ensemble of performers, each showcasing their unique talents and leaving a lasting impression on the audience. With its clever storyline, awe-inspiring acrobatics, and breathtaking moments, this show is a testament to the ingenuity and creativity found at Kings Island.

While the tale occasionally ventures into dark territory, particularly with Hilda Bovine's glass-shattering vocals, it adds an unexpected layer of excitement and keeps viewers on the edge of their seats. Although it may not be suitable for younger and more sensitive individuals, adults and older children will appreciate the show's distinctive blend of magic and danger.

All in all, Phantom Theater Encore delivers an unforgettable experience, allowing visitors to relive the nostalgia of the past while being immersed in a world of imagination and wonder. Kings Island has once again created a show that is sure to thrill and captivate audiences seeking adventure and entertainment.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, super7 said:

Don’t get too excited about Phantom Theater returning to the park.   I feel if the ride returns it will be a cheap screen based version like Knotts Bear-y Tales remake.    Not the quality, near Disney quality, animatronic version that we had before.   Cedar Fair has not installed a quality dark ride to date.  

Cedar Fair has not installed a quality dark ride to date… yet. 

If anything, the recent thematic additions such as Adventure Port, Mystic Timbers, Orion, etc. prove, at least to me, that they have the ability to create a memorable dark ride experience that focuses primarily on physical sets and animatronics. They could do it. 

Now that doesn’t mean they will, or if this is even a discussion being had. But I do agree with you… begrudgingly. The Berry-Tales route is probably the most likely route, though I’d hope that would not be the case.

I do hope it happens. I do hope it happens the right way.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

I heard it was something like $3 off the nosebleed seats?  Like those that bought prestige would sit in nosebleed LOL.

I mean, money is money, but if you’re paying $7/ticket in surcharges it doesn’t feel like it has much value.

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I mean, money is money, but if you’re paying $7/ticket in surcharges it doesn’t feel like it has much value.

Actually the fees are a little more LOL...and apparently your exclusive enhanced pass perk has been rolled out to the regular passes now LOL

No photo description available.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I feel like with everything I see out of Carrowinds in relation to their milestone, we DEFINITELY got the way better deal. Did this just roll out, perform and roll back? Thought they would get all of the elements (lightly modified) that we had. The more I see this year, the more I’m AMAZED at what we got last year. 

our (with original song DIFFERENT than the other original song for the fireworks) for reference 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Wow. I feel like with everything I see out of Carrowinds in relation to their milestone, we DEFINITELY got the way better deal. Did this just roll out, perform and roll back? Thought they would get all of the elements (lightly modified) that we had. The more I see this year, the more I’m AMAZED at what we got last year. 

our (with original song DIFFERENT than the other original song for the fireworks) for reference 

Although I agree that the Street Party was the weakest part of the 50th Celebration last year, the most important part (at least to me, probably others) was “Fun, Fireworks and Fifty.” The night shows at the other parks don’t even touch that show. I’d rather have that than the better Street Party. 

• Like 1

The lighter 50th lineup at Carowinds is a little surprising given that Cedar Fair seemed rather bullish about the park's growth potential in recent years. Along with Worlds of Fun (which has a relatively robust 50th celebration for one of the "smaller" Cedar Fair parks), Carowinds' anniversary happened to land in a year with tighter live entertainment budgets.

I'm still intrigued to know if any Carowinds fans mind having a Kings Island-specific song from Enchanted Voyage ("Cartoon Friends") in their anniversary show. Did the song get used somewhere at Carowinds at some point? They didn't have a Hanna-Barbera dark ride as far as I remember.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Although I agree that the Street Party was the weakest part of the 50th Celebration last year, the most important part (at least to me, probably others) was “Fun, Fireworks and Fifty.” The night shows at the other parks don’t even touch that show. I’d rather have that than the better Street Party. 

Not sure I get your point. We got BOTH, the better closing show AND the better parade/party plus 3  original park specific shows (actually 4 when you put the media/video component of 70s in the mix.) we blew the other milestones this year away! 

• Like 4