2024 Season Passes

KIfan73

There you admitted you have been out of the game and have no skin in this fight, so move out of the way to those that are currently suffering LOL.
You have spoken with your wallet and haven't had a pass in who knows how long...you don't think things have got worse?
Since you are not an active passholder going thru these issues, your opinion doesn't carry the same weight as those that are.
The fact that they don't offer refunds is evident in now you can buy "refund insurance" on your ticket and add-ons....why would they go thru that effort of negotiating a package with a 3rd party if their policy was to willy-nilly pass out refunds.
I find it hard to believe that you have been issued refunds from KI.
I was with my friend's family on two of the times they calmly stated their case and ....well what does it matter you wouldn't believe me anyway...but let's just say it was a very convincing argument backed with receipts and doctors notes and tests.
[mention=8781]jdf21972[/mention]- how often does the park offer refunds?  I know based on social media posts, it doesn't happen often.  We see way more post of people saying they were told No Refunds.

The only refunds we offered were on season passes either due to medical documentation showing not able to use the pass or death of the person . Tickets were not refunded only allowed to visit another day. So very rarely did we refund a ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Unfortunately, warts and all, the season pass is still an incredible value and hard to beat on cost/hr of entertainment value.  As an example, people spend 4 times the amount of a gold pass per month for the privilege to belong to country club.  Heck some swim clubs monthly dues are the price of a gold pass.

But just because it is an incredible value doesn't mean that folks should accept being sold one thing and being provided another.

The park is selling a product with advertised benefits and when said benefits are taken away, the criticism is valid.

No one here has said that the Gold pass or the Platinum/passport are a bad deal outside of Mr. “OMG thAY SAYED yOu MAybe GiT teh tHIngs adVerTIsed on teh web sight NoT dat ThEy PROMISE!!!!!”

Gold/Platinum offers a package. It’s not just park entry. Part of your purchasing decision involves the benefits. To my knowledge, they’ve never been greatly out of line with this.

For a major up-charge, we were sold a package including many of the things listed above. After the transaction was completed, many of the most valuable benefits were removed and the evidence removed from the web site. No option to drop down to a lower level, no communication from the park. 

I guess a better analogy for your buddy who allegedly thinks that a season pass is such a bad value they they won’t purchase it… yet thinks the above business practices are both acceptable and ethical, would be if you bought a TV from Best Buy. You see that it comes with a remote, power cable and HDMI cable. You buy it, take it home, and when you open the box it includes none of these. You go to return it and are told no refunds, and the associates takes a Sharpie and crosses out that list of features from the box. Bait-and-switch is what it is, and if anyone thinks that’s okay… DM me about that bridge. 

2 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Gold/Platinum offers a package. It’s not just park entry. Part of your purchasing decision involves the benefits. To my knowledge, they’ve never been greatly out of line with this.

True, but at some parks in the chain, the ERT rides promised were rarely/never opened during ERT and a certain park up north would simply switch out ERT rides after purchases were made.  Granted they are within their "subject to change" rights to make these changes, but it still leaves a bad taste - especially if it was simply they didn't want to staff it.

Same with the budget cuts reducing rides.  There are plenty of passholders that their use of the pass is go up the first two hours of park open or come for the last two hours of park open.  Just like there are plenty of passholders that NEVER take advantage of ERT and could care less what is happening with that benefit.

When they purchased said pass, it was implied that all rides would be open (subject to mechanical or weather issues), and cutting them strictly due to budget concerns after they have your money leaves a sour taste.  Depending on the makeup of a family and their ride preferences, opening select rides later or closing earlier could be more than a minor inconvenience for the said family - maybe those are the only rides the kids in the family ride and now they are either not open or only open half the time they are there.  

16 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I know based on social media posts...

LOLOLOLOLOL

15 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

For a major up-charge, we were sold a package including many of the things listed above. After the transaction was completed, many of the most valuable benefits were removed and the evidence removed from the web site. No option to drop down to a lower level, no communication from the park. 

I guess a better analogy for your buddy who allegedly thinks that a season pass is such a bad value they they won’t purchase it… yet thinks the above business practices are both acceptable and ethical, would be if you bought a TV from Best Buy. You see that it comes with a remote, power cable and HDMI cable. You buy it, take it home, and when you open the box it includes none of these. You go to return it and are told no refunds, and the associates takes a Sharpie and crosses out that list of features from the box. Bait-and-switch is what it is, and if anyone thinks that’s okay… DM me about that bridge. 

Yes, season passes offer a package, which guarantees park access through the season with the addition of numerous value-add benefits which are clearly stated as subject to change without notice. The base product - park admission - is not subject to change. So when you go through with the purchase, you are agreeing to all the terms, including acknowledging that the benefits are subject to change or revocation. Again, you are presented with these terms prior to purchase, so once you agree to those terms you also agree that those benefits may change or outright disappear. 

The only way the asinine TV example makes any sense would be if the box stated those items may be included. Because, again, the park doesn't state that value-added pass benefits are guaranteed to be available. The TOS clearly state they are subject to change at the park's whim. Just like Early Entry. Just like park hours. Just like the availability of your favorite ride. Just like the availability of your favorite funnel cake or whatever.

If you do not like the terms of an agreement, why on Earth would you agree to those terms? It's not like anyone tricked you. Worst case, you were too lazy to read the terms of the agreement, but if so, that's on you. Buyer beware. 

And if you expect businesses to behave differently then I have a bridge to sell you.

15 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Same with the budget cuts reducing rides.  There are plenty of passholders that their use of the pass is go up the first two hours of park open...

...cutting them strictly due to budget concerns after they have your money leaves a sour taste.

Yes, that's true. And it happened to us over a couple years, so we did what normal, reasonable folks do in response - stop agreeing to purchase a product that we no longer felt was of sufficient value. Continuing to fork over our hard-earned cash to a company that was no longer delivering what we felt was sufficient value would be flat out stupid.

I guess at the end of the day I don't understand why people feel they're owed anything by any company. Every company exists to create profit by generating revenue in excess of their operating costs. Every for-profit company. If a company increases prices to the point that a customer no longer finds value, the customer should stop engaging with the company. Continuing to fork over money while simultaneously complaining about it in "social media posts" is an impotent way to affect change.

Vote with your wallet.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, DispatchMaster said:

LOLOLOLOLOL

Yes, season passes offer a package, which guarantees park access through the season with the addition of numerous value-add benefits which are clearly stated as subject to change without notice. The base product - park admission - is not subject to change. So when you go through with the purchase, you are agreeing to all the terms, including acknowledging that the benefits are subject to change or revocation. Again, you are presented with these terms prior to purchase, so once you agree to those terms you also agree that those benefits may change or outright disappear. 

The only way the asinine TV example makes any sense would be if the box stated those items may be included. Because, again, the park doesn't state that value-added pass benefits are guaranteed to be available. The TOS clearly state they are subject to change at the park's whim. Just like Early Entry. Just like park hours. Just like the availability of your favorite ride. Just like the availability of your favorite funnel cake or whatever.

If you do not like the terms of an agreement, why on Earth would you agree to those terms? It's not like anyone tricked you. Worst case, you were too lazy to read the terms of the agreement, but if so, that's on you. Buyer beware. 

And if you expect businesses to behave differently then I have a bridge to sell you.

Yes, that's true. And it happened to us over a couple years, so we did what normal, reasonable folks do in response - stop agreeing to purchase a product that we no longer felt was of sufficient value. Continuing to fork over our hard-earned cash to a company that was no longer delivering what we felt was sufficient value would be flat out stupid.

I guess at the end of the day I don't understand why people feel they're owed anything by any company. Every company exists to create profit by generating revenue in excess of their operating costs. Every for-profit company. If a company increases prices to the point that a customer no longer finds value, the customer should stop engaging with the company. Continuing to fork over money while simultaneously complaining about it in "social media posts" is an impotent way to affect change.

Vote with your wallet.

Clearly you spoke with your wallet.  Good for you. 

Yet you stick around here instead of completely cutting ties...  Have you not picked up a new hobby or something for entertainment you can move on to?  Are you upset that nobody followed your lead and/or are you jaded you are missing out on the fun at the park?

For others, at the end of the day, it comes down to the complaints are really constructive criticism to try to ensure the park reaches it potential.  Sadly you don't see it as that.  You chose to speak with your wallet while others choose to be honest on guest surveys and feedback to guest services in hopes it improves and they receive what they were advertised to receive.  Then they go to social media to voice it as well.  It is the new norm...

Some are loyal to a fault or haven't reached the "speak with your wallet" stage yet.  Just like many people purchase a certain brand vehicle that can't make it past X-thousand miles yet they remain loyal to the brand and buy a new one that poops out by X-thousand miles.  

And like I said, warts and all, the entertainment value per dollar spent spread out over a season cannot be beat and that is a great motivator for many people to keep coming back.  Where else can you get fed two meals per day all summer for the price of the season long meal plan?  Heck a Disney daily plan is almost as expensive as an all-season at KI.

About the only thing cheaper for entertainment is to be a keyboard troll on others that still see value out of the pass even with the shortcomings...

Unlike FB, the members here know this site isn't owned by the park, so most here have expressed their concerns at guest services, but also comment here.

They "screw" over enough people that speak with their wallet and then bye-bye park.  And that my friend is why we provide constructive criticism....

Look. at the end of the day, we all recognize they are a business, and not only the park, but many purchases in life have the ability to change the terms of service or conditions at any time.  It is a way of life.  We either accept that as a possibility or we go without lots of things like mobile phones, cable tv, or basically anything that is a contract...

If nobody accepted that as a possibility, they wouldn't sell so many passes.  But at the same time, the volume of passes sold should also mean that they try to uphold their end of the deal.

• Like 2

So as one who did NOT renew their platinum season pass (yes I voted with my wallet last year).  I'm looking at the 2024 pricing and options and really don't understand the Prestige upsell.  

So the basic (Gold) gets you in the park all season, including Haunt/Winterfest, with early entry, with parking, food/merch discounts, some pass "perks".

For 3x the price, you can get exclusive (Prestige), which adds: Preferred Parking, Preferred entrance (limited hours), VIP Areas, "Enhanced pass "perks, higher food/merch discounts, 2 brink a friends, and single use fast line per visit.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't understand why I would throw ~$200 extra dollars for those benefits.  Maybe the single use Fast Lane per visit provides enough incentive for some?  But all the other "Preferred" items don't have that much of a value to me.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maddog said:

So as one who did NOT renew their platinum season pass (yes I voted with my wallet last year).  I'm looking at the 2024 pricing and options and really don't understand the Prestige upsell.  

So the basic (Gold) gets you in the park all season, including Haunt/Winterfest, with early entry, with parking, food/merch discounts, some pass "perks".

For 3x the price, you can get exclusive (Prestige), which adds: Preferred Parking, Preferred entrance (limited hours), VIP Areas, "Enhanced pass "perks, higher food/merch discounts, 2 brink a friends, and single use fast line per visit.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't understand why I would throw ~$200 extra dollars for those benefits.  Maybe the single use Fast Lane per visit provides enough incentive for some?  But all the other "Preferred" items don't have that much of a value to me.  

So to preface this, I live 13 minutes from the park, I go weekly at worst, my daughter and I often go after school, ride two rides, get dinner and leave. For me, it is worth the 400 bucks (200x2) to not wait in line and not have to fight parking at 5pm when I visit.

I am probably not the average user however.

1 hour ago, Maddog said:

Exactly.  I think they feel they will sell more Prestige as many people will assume that is the new platinum....and then someone next year will make a trip away from their home park and find that isn't the case and they will have to fork out money for the passport LOL.

Here is the reality of the Prestige:

• Preferred parking is not a guarantee - you could go on a day that it is full like a busy Saturday.  Could be an even bigger possibility with more Prestige being sold.
  • Preferred Entrance is bogus.  Go up to the park between 10-12 when that line is available and Guest Services is waving people over to that line that are not Prestige holders.  It is not uncommon to see Prestige holders get thru that line slower than the regular line as it always seems people that are waved into that line are first-timers and start asking the attendant questions.  Many have gone in to complain and Guest Services said their policy is if nobody is in line, they will wave people in.  Someone that has gone in to complain several times about this sarcastically asked Guest Services when are they going to start waving people in to the VIP if it is empty as that is the same concept LOL.  Valid point!
  • VIP Lounge - subject to hours.  Right now closes an hour early and last year closed at 8pm on Haunt nights.
  • Cooler water - you get to enjoy ice chilled cooler water where there is no sink available for the attendant to wash their hands prior to filling with ice.  Not that it matters much because they simply drop the bag on the ground to break up the ice and then because of the awkward design, said bag inadvertently goes into the cooler and thus providing minerals to the water LOL.  And oh yea, some days you get infused lemon and lime water.
  • 15% off stuff - at 3 times the amount of Gold pass, you must buy a lot of stuff to make that economically work LOL.
  • Two bring a friend - you are paying for that.  Many don't even use that benefit.  What is the cheapest you could pay for two people to get in - cheaper than 3X gold pass price LOL.
  • Single use FL - that can have some value and now that they have kiosks available to purchase, you see that could be anywhere from $5 to $20 depending on how busy the park is.  It seems most don't really care about this perk as everyday there are FB posts where people hid their to give away to the first person that finds it. 
  • Enhanced Pass Perks - nobody has seen anything yet.  Well some got an extra % off a meal LOL.

But there are people that even with these issues, it still is a benefit and they will renew.  For example, someone that only has an hour or two to go to the park, this one time FL is a better deal than the all season FL for that person.

so i went in 2023 for the first time in 15 years, was a great time with the FL passes. so im looking at the 2024 season passes and i see that it says one single use Fast Lane pass per visit with the prestige pass. that only means for one ride per visit right? not a Fast Lane wristband for every ride for every visit correct? sorry if this is dumb but i wanted to know. thanks

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Maddog said:

I have multiple dents in my 3 year old car from people opening their car doors into the side of mine which occurred in the regular parking lot.  I got prestige this year ONLY for the premium parking and have yet to have a single new dent occur at Kings Island this year.  I will be paying for Prestige again, because I do place that high of a value on the preferred parking alone.  The rest does not matter to me much.  But that’s just me and different people value the additions differently.

5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

• Single use FL - that can have some value and now that they have kiosks available to purchase, you see that could be anywhere from $5 to $20 depending on how busy the park is.  It seems most don't really care about this perk as everyday there are FB posts where people hid there to give away to the first person that finds it. 

The target audience for Prestige and Season Long Fast Lane has a HUGE overlap.  So some get both and give away the single use because the only use they have for it is to give it away.

• Like 2

All CF has done this year has totally confused the season pass purchasing with new and multiple new add on choices.  Take the gold pass, then add passport for all parks, then if you want to add the all park meal plan to the all passport gold pass, looks like you have to make two transactions including an upcharge for all parks.  All too complicated.

IMG_1818.png

16 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

All CF has done this year has totally confused the season pass purchasing with new and multiple new add on choices.  Take the gold pass, then add passport for all parks, then if you want to add the all park meal plan to the all passport gold pass, looks like you have to make two transactions including an upcharge for all parks.  All too complicated.

IMG_1818.png

There are 3 different routes you can go with all season dining.

1. Buy a KI Gold/Prestige pass without Passport, add KI dining - $130
  2. Do 1) but later add decide you want Passport after all, and all parks dining - +$19 (total $149)
  3. Buy a KI Gold/Prestige pass with Passport, add all parks dining - $149

The option you see is just in case you add Passport later, so you can extend your dining plan to all parks.  You don't pay the $149 and $19.  $130 gets you KI dining.  $130 + $19 lets you add all parks dining later.  $149 gets you all parks dining up front.  Same $149 for all parks.

image.png

Despite the parks staggering their sale dates and despite folks thinking KI PR does a poor job, many are experiencing waits when renewing and buying passes.  For kicks I clicked buy now and it put me in a waiting line portal. 

So either there is still an incredible demand despite the limited PR for the park or the system can only handle like 2 people purchasing at a time LOL :P

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Despite the parks staggering their sale dates and despite folks thinking KI PR does a poor job, many are experiencing waits when renewing and buying passes.  For kicks I clicked buy now and it put me in a waiting line portal. 

So either there is still an incredible demand despite the limited PR for the park or the system can only handle like 2 people purchasing at a time LOL :P

Orrrrrr the queue is just programmed in because they expect there to be higher than usual demand even if there really isn't.  So you get sucked up into the hype and want to stick around to ensure you get your pass.  After all, there's a virtual queue to order, it must be a great deal!

1 minute ago, jsus said:

Orrrrrr the queue is just programmed in because they expect there to be higher than usual demand even if there really isn't.  So you get sucked up into the hype and want to stick around to ensure you get your pass.  After all, there's a virtual queue to order, it must be a great deal!

Meanwhile some bean counter is sitting in Sandusky, or Charlotte, and seeing the queue wait time and says "See we don't need big productions for new announcements - just throw it on social media and the demand will be there" :P

The all-park add-one are the same price chain wide.  The idea is to make it cost the same no matter which park you choose so people actually use their home park to buy their passes.  That’s why the weird $19 up charge exists to go from KI only to chain wide.  It’s also why the all park add on is cheaper at Kings Island than Cedar Point, our Gold pass is more expensive.

Which works until you realize that Canada’s Wonderland exists and the exchange rate is not 1 to 1 like the pricing.

For anyone wondering according to the FAQ’s the Prestige bring a friend tickets are chain wide.  So at this point except for maybe the renewal freebies, if your shopping for a chain wide pass you can buy from any park.

Pass perks might also be home park only?  But then even with “enhanced” pass perks they don’t seem to actually exist anyways so I do not see how that should influence any decisions.

6 minutes ago, OverlandTaxis30 said:

I wonder if anyone has an answer to my question.

If I renewed my pass right now, and got the gold pass but didn’t get the all parks passport, would I still be able to get into Cedar Point later this month since my pass is currently a platinum? Or not?

I would hope so. I would call the park just to be sure. I would be upset if it superseded this year's pass. Do you have the receipt from this year's past to prove what your pass is today?

5 hours ago, OverlandTaxis30 said:

I wonder if anyone has an answer to my question.

If I renewed my pass right now, and got the gold pass but didn’t get the all parks passport, would I still be able to get into Cedar Point later this month since my pass is currently a platinum? Or not?

Your 2023 Platinum pass remains valid through December 31, 2023.  You’ve paid for that, you will get that and all 2023 add-ons you have (dining, drinks, FastLane, FunPix, etc).  Your gold pass renewal would take over on January 1, 2024.

29 minutes ago, jsus said:

Your 2023 Platinum pass remains valid through December 1, 2023.  You’ve paid for that, you will get that and all 2023 add-ons you have (dining, drinks, FastLane, FunPix, etc).  Your gold pass renewal would take over on January 1, 2024.

You sure it isn't December 31, 2023 ;)

Just renewed mine, did everything the same except going with the premium drink plan..

I added the all park since I was already a platinum pass member. I don’t plan on switching cards next season so I’ll keep using my platinum card. Who knows maybe it’s worth money now lol.

10 hours ago, Tr0y said:

Just renewed mine, did everything the same except going with the premium drink plan..

I added the all park since I was already a platinum pass member. I don’t plan on switching cards next season so I’ll keep using my platinum card. Who knows maybe it’s worth money now lol.

2 of my grandchildren had Platinum in 2022 and I downgraded them to gold in 2023 and their platinum passes still worked.  My wife and I still have our original platinum passes (the ones branded Kings Island) and they still work as well.  It's just a barcode at this point.  

• Like 2