Where do you see Arrow coasters in the next decade?

Loch Ness Monster is getting some major attention with BGW choosing to preserve the ride by retracking it. That being said, could this be a sign of hope for all existing Arrows across the globe? Let me be clear, parks are going to make decisions based off of a number of factors such as ride popularity, maintenance, etc, so of course it’s not likely that every current Arrow is going to last for decades to come….but still, it does make you think. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Loch Ness Monster is getting some major attention with BGW choosing to preserve the ride by retracking it. That being said, could this be a sign of hope for all existing Arrows across the globe? Let me be clear, parks are going to make decisions based off of a number of factors such as ride popularity, maintenance, etc, so of course it’s not likely that every current Arrow is going to last for decades to come….but still, it does make you think. 

I don’t believe most Arrow’s will receive the treatment. I just think parks would just rather opt for a new coaster instead. Maybe the iconic ones like MagnumXL-200 could be retracked.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Orion742 said:

Maybe the iconic ones like MagnumXL-200 could be retracked.

I agree with this last statement. Those Arrows which have become icons and classics should receive the “Loch ness Monster” treatment. So that they can continue to be enjoyed for years to come.

• Like 2

I think only special ones will. Loch Ness was a more historic coaster and might have stayed very popular too. I think the average Arrow will likely just get replaced. 
As mentioned I could see Magnum get similar when needed. And hope AE is saved when that time comes. I have hope for that given all the recent work they did for it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, purdude86 said:

I think only special ones will. Loch Ness was a more historic coaster and might have stayed very popular too. I think the average Arrow will likely just get replaced. 
As mentioned I could see Magnum get similar when needed. And hope AE is saved when that time comes. I have hope for that given all the recent work they did for it.

For some reason I always wish they expanded on Adventure Express’s layout if they do decide to keep it around in the next 10/20 years.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

For some reason I always wish they expanded on Adventure Express’s layout if they do decide to keep it around in the next 10/20 years.

I would be interested to see how AE’s layout could be expanded, especially without adding another lift. 

22 hours ago, purdude86 said:

Many here would have hoped Vortex would have been a special one to get that treatment!

Question is will The Bat be considered a special one or will it see the same fate at some point...

• Like 1

My opinion is that yes ACE coaster landmark arrows such as the Matterhorn, Magnum, Loch Ness Monster, etc are prime candidates for re-tracking and restoration. The commonplace arrow is toast if it "reaches the end of its service life". There's a lot that goes into the lifespan of a coaster. The Matterhorn is older than many wooden coasters and the Runaway Mine Train at SFOT is still going strong. So some arrows may have many many years left in them. The "best" ones unfortunately also probably have shorter lifespans because of higher speed and forces and stress on the parts. I honestly fear for the Arrow suspended coasters seeing as none of them are recognized by ACE and there's only a handful left. Of course I have my preferences but at this point I don't care which park keeps their arrow suspended coaster, I just want one park to step up and make a big investment in preserving one

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Exactly lol. Nah, just feel like 3 lifts would over kill. Are there any coasters out there right now with 3 lifts? If not, could be a record recognized lol. 

The arrow at SF Saint Louis has 3 right?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/14/2024 at 2:48 PM, Orion-XL200 said:

Are there any coasters out there right now with 3 lifts?

The Runaway Mine Train at SFOT, the Dahlonega Mine Train at SFOG, and Big Bad John at Magic Springs all have 3 lifts. As mentioned already The River King Mine Train at SFSL has 3 lifts as does Big Thunder Mountain at Disney World and Disneyland. So not totally uncommon for an Arrow mine train 

• Like 2

I believe 75% or more will be gone within twenty years. Mine trains will mostly be safe, along with very particular and iconic cases. Steel coasters are just so expensive to rehabilitate once the structure begins to show fatigue. It makes me very sad, but these companies have to turn a profit and ensure the safety of their visitors. The death of the Arrow suspended models is perhaps the most tragic to me, seeing as they are so unique. That's a lot of load on those tracks though.

(Image was taken from the Big Bad Wolf wikipedia page and was originally uploaded by Link5001.)

800px-Bigbadw.JPG

• Like 1