Kings Island 2024 Food Reviews and Discussion

SmartCat7162

1 minute ago, disco2000 said:

Maybe they are waiting to get it right, unlike KD that has issued at least two lists that are inaccurate.

I mean, can't be too hard to put chicken tenders, burgers, fries on a list right? LOL. 

But seriously, I would like to see what's available on Opening Day instead of having to visit each location to look at the menu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orion-XL200 said:

I mean, can't be too hard to put chicken tenders, burgers, fries on a list right? LOL. 

But seriously, I would like to see what's available on Opening Day instead of having to visit each location to look at the menu.

They’re busy trying to figure out what to up-charge us. Salt and pepper on your burger sir? $1.29 please. :P

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Tr0y said:

They’re busy trying to figure out what to up-charge us. Salt and pepper on your burger sir? $1.29 please. :P

Don't give them any ideas! I mean, I'm surprised the gravy on the turkey at Winterfest wasn't an upcharge.

While this doesn’t necessarily reveal any menu changes, according to the October 2023 City of Mason Permit Report, Juke Box Diner and Chicken Shack (or at least the kitchens) are being renovated for this season, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the interiors of these restaurants look a little different this season. I’m thinking that both are going to now be set up as quick service restaurants like the Corral at Cedar Point or the renovated Coasters diners at many Cedar Fair parks.

Also, the October and November 2023 Permit Reports also mention the renovation of retail locations in Soak City and the replacement of the lazy river trough. A massive new $1.25 million bar and shade structure is also being constructed adjacent to Coconut Cove. There are some other interesting tidbits in these permit reports as well, but most of the permits are for work already announced (like Camp Snoopy).

https://imaginemason.org/download/PDFs/monthly_permit_reports/2023/Issued-Permit-Summary-October-2023.pdf

https://imaginemason.org/download/PDFs/monthly_permit_reports/2023/Issued-Permit-Summary-November-2023.pdf

Here is the link to the site if anyone wants to access permit reports from other months: https://www.imaginemason.org/city-government/engineering-building-planning/monthly-permit-reports/

• Like 3

Well, the new dining plan info has been released. 

Kings Island's Executive Chef Shares 2024 Season Updates (visitkingsisland.com)

Two featured new menu items.....two not featured (sandwiches at French Corner)....nothing major to write home about....Grain and Grille removed the Chicken Drumsticks for you guessed it....chicken tenders!!!! 

Which reminds me: 

From Kings Island welcomes new executive chef and opens new restaurant | InPark Magazine:

“Our guests continue to tell us that the park’s culinary offering is such an important part of their visit to Kings Island,” said Mike Koontz, Kings Island vice president and general manager. “Our reputation as a place where they can come together and enjoy unique food offerings and traditional amusement park favorites is in good hands with Chef Perez.”

Does Mr. Koontz think the culinary offering gives a reputation where unique food offerings is in good hands? Does he still think they are unique? 

Anywho, back to the original link: 

chef-joe-new-blog-banner.png
This was an interesting edit.....

"We have new and updated restaurants and new food options this year," said Perez. "We've been working all winter long!"

How long does it take to plan chicken tenders?

The video itself.....is edited, a lot....gives off the vibe of "we can edit a video" but there really wasn't much content in it. I would have loved to see more of the food they worked on all winter. 

Notable: 

Jukebox and Chicken Shack for sure got a refreshed inside, see the pic of Chicken Shack below.

chicken-shack-reno-2024.png

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Jukebox and Chicken Shack for sure got a refreshed inside, see the pic of Chicken Shack below.

So basically Chicken Shack is going back to how it was before. I believe it used to be setup this way where they had the food out and they put the food on your tray as you ordered the food. Then they changed it to where you ordered your food then they made it in the back and called your number which on busy days was very chaotic bc it would be so loud in there and they didn't have a mic to call out order numbers so they would have to yell out the numbers and it was hard to hear and the orders wouldn't be in order so you could've easily missed your order called. I believe it was 2019 (right before the Covid year) they added self touch order screens in there as well.

Also please I hope they bring back the self serve hot sauce dispenser. I don't understand why they took it away. I liked having the hot sauce dispenser to soak my chicken tenders and fries in hot sauce lol. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Well, the new dining plan info has been released. 

Kings Island's Executive Chef Shares 2024 Season Updates (visitkingsisland.com)

Two featured new menu items.....two not featured (sandwiches at French Corner)....nothing major to write home about....Grain and Grille removed the Chicken Drumsticks for you guessed it....chicken tenders!!!! 

Which reminds me: 

From Kings Island welcomes new executive chef and opens new restaurant | InPark Magazine:

Does Mr. Koontz think the culinary offering gives a reputation where unique food offerings is in good hands? Does he still think they are unique? 

Anywho, back to the original link: 

chef-joe-new-blog-banner.png
This was an interesting edit.....

How long does it take to plan chicken tenders?

The video itself.....is edited, a lot....gives off the vibe of "we can edit a video" but there really wasn't much content in it. I would have loved to see more of the food they worked on all winter. 

Notable: 

But not just any chicken tenders, these are special.

So the redesign of the Chicken Shack looks like a problem waiting to happen - so they have what appears to be two sides like Enrique's has, but the divider does not go all the way to the counter like it does at Enriques.  I see someone just line jumping to the other side if the side they picked is slowed down.  Or maybe like the other dual side restaurants, we will rarely see both open so it won't matter LOL.

And no pigs in a blanket at pigpens mess hall - seems like a missed opportunity lol.  But hey they got chicken nuggets.

• Like 2

It is sad when they mention the nachos and smoked wings for the Brewhouse in the chef’s write up and then don’t even have them listed on the released menu link.  Also noticed the menu link does not identify which menu items are actually on the meal plan (only identifies snack items on the premium dining plan).  Will wait to see how many “up charges” occur with the various menu items later tonight.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Winterfestguy said:

It is sad when they mention the nachos and smoked wings for the Brewhouse in the chef’s write up and then don’t even have them listed on the released menu link.  Also noticed the menu link does not identify which menu items are actually on the meal plan (only identifies snack items on the premium dining plan).  Will wait to see how many “up charges” occur with the various menu items later tonight.

My interpretation of that link is unless it shows the SNACK icon, then it is on the meal plan.

Maybe the nachos and smoked wings are available but not on the meal plan and thus why they are not on this list?

And interesting that the link file is called "mobile-dining-plan-guide" - does that imply all of this is available for mobile ordering?  But knowing CF that is probably incorrect LOL.

Can they add chicken tenders to any other location? (Satire)  I mean The Chicken Shack usually has pretty good chicken, but why are tenders at Grain and Grill?  Is it that difficult to get grilled boneless skinless chicken at this location ?  Was it because of all the undercooked chicken legs last year?

Grain and Grill is supposed to be a healthier option.

And what happened to the emphasis on locally sourced food that was a big deal under chef major?  Are we back to total reliance on Sysco et al?

• Like 2

Enrique’s has Pineapple chunks for their burritos and they’re really good, same portions for the burritos. However heads up for the foodies, drink plans have been working sporadically. My drink plan didn’t show up at Enrique’s I’m going to try some other locations.

Update- worked at Coney BBQ!

• Like 1

^Let us know how it is. I almost went for it but decided to hold back for what I know is good.

Also got the new beef at G&G. I liked it.
They also have a new pork kabob option and sides like mac and cheese.

Still not on level with kings dominion G&G… but a step in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, BB1 said:

^Let us know how it is. I almost went for it but decided to hold back for what I know is good.

Some of the beef, which has a chopped brisket texture, was a bit fatty but otherwise had nice flavor. The portion was very carefully measured and ended up seeming like a better amount of protein than the shrimp and pork skewers.

The potatoes are the same as the potatoes bravas but without the sauce/coating. The pierogis don't seem to be an option this year.

• Like 2

Nachos and wings aren’t on Dining plan, but are on menu. d1940db47f5530bab1e49590a7e8ae25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

I am going to have to try that quesadilla out at The Mecardo. 

Okay, so first thing I gotta point out is the PKI logo in the background under the updated background. That cracked me up. 

Nothing about these options shown really made me think wow....meat candy...what's that? Any informaiton on what kinda meat?

• Haha 2

Well apparently subject to terms and conditions has taken effect already, the day after the KI Team posted about meal plans....the KI Team shared that at Panda Express you got two entrees and a side....tonight guests received one entrée and a side.

• Like 2

20240419_195918.thumb.jpg.7bdc08a82887d83668f03b485a5dd24a.jpgSo disappointed tonight. Had Grill & Grain tonight. Beef and fried rice. The rice was overcooked and tough. Beef was OK. Everything there last year was great. Worried that I've wasted mm y money on the meal plan. Then later had potato works. 12 fries for $9.. Ridiculous. Daughter had funnel cake that was missing the middle and thin on one side. Last year, I felt like the dining plan was worth it & the portions were reasonable. I hope tonight was an anomaly. 

Edited by Hackman
Forgot pic