Man Struck By Roller Coaster at Kings Island Today

BoddaH1994

On 6/20/2024 at 4:31 PM, dr_humor said:

Not necessarily. After James Young died (Raptor) Cedar Point didn't make any changes

Family lives about 12 miles from my house; he actually taught at my daughter's elementary school. For a time the family was prepping to sue Cedar Point, but on what grounds I have absolutely no idea. Lots of articles and interviews around here just describe the family as "dumbfounded" as to why he would do such a thing. 

Sounds like the only change they might need to make would be to, you know, maybe lock the door that he allegedly walked through. 

I would encourage everyone to look at the signage around the park. Low point signage would look like this, while entry into a normal back of house area would say "Authorized Personnel Only." Fencing for low points would require this sign to be placed a certain distance apart, the fence needs to be a certain height, and requires a certain key to enter once the ride has been locked out. It should be noted that low points in back of house areas are treated the exact same as guest facing areas. For example, the fencing, signage, and gate access for Banshee's pretzel loop would fall under the same requirements as the first drop. Capture 654984165120.JPG

• Like 1

And per the article I (and yes, others) linked above, Cedar Point exceeded state and industry standards with regards to what is needed (signage, fence heights, etc.), which is why nothing needed changed with regards to Raptor. I would assume (because, Cedar Fair) Kings Island also falls into the "above and beyond" category. 

• Like 2

Not a word on the news outlets which is very disappointing imo.   This never ends well.  Clearly the guests fault for entering a restricted area-however, prayers for the family.  I just hope the park isn’t blamed and a bunch of do nothing rules aren’t imposed because of this.  What he should have done is go to lost and found and arranged another way home.  A set of keys is not worth your life

One thing Kings Island can consider doing, and maybe all Cedar Fair parks, is offering free locker use. I spend a lot of time at Universal Studios now, and rides like Hulk and Velocicoaster are very strict on items being brought onto the ride, so much you have to pass metal detection before boarding. At KI, A lot of people may just take the risk of item loss to avoid dealing with paying for a locker. Being able to scan your pass or even just having a printed ticket you hang onto could potentially help with incidents like this.

Unfortunate timing that TrailBlazers has a whole segment with a guy with a cell phone “sneaking on stage” going where he’s not supposed to go, being chased by “camp counselor “ security, falling from high places he’s not supposed to be. Wonder if there was any discussion around cutting or redoing that part. The whole idea seems a wee bit “too close” to the root of what happened. 

11 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Unfortunate timing that TrailBlazers has a whole segment with a guy with a cell phone “sneaking on stage” going where he’s not supposed to go, being chased by “camp counselor “ security, falling from high places he’s not supposed to be. Wonder if there was any discussion around cutting or redoing that part. The whole idea seems a wee bit “too close” to the root of what happened. 

They still have two rides themed to entering restricted areas, so I think they're oblivious.

29 minutes ago, Phantom Theater said:

One thing Kings Island can consider doing, and maybe all Cedar Fair parks, is offering free locker use. I spend a lot of time at Universal Studios now, and rides like Hulk and Velocicoaster are very strict on items being brought onto the ride, so much you have to pass metal detection before boarding. At KI, A lot of people may just take the risk of item loss to avoid dealing with paying for a locker. Being able to scan your pass or even just having a printed ticket you hang onto could potentially help with incidents like this.

The nickel and diming at the park is a lot of the reason I haven’t been to the park in many years

52 minutes ago, windshawne said:

I have questions.  Kinda strange none of the reputable news outlets are reporting this death.  Perhaps he’s still critical?

No. He's already been confirmed as passed. His aunt along with his cousin both confirmed on FB

• Like 1

What has seemed strange is the almost complete lack of national coverage. From the park's perspective this probably isn't a bad thing, but it is weird. Even the park goers trapped upside down got a lot of play, and the Raptor incident was all over the national news for days. This incident only got a brief mention on our local news (we are in NE Ohio) the day after. 

Not denying this death via those family members (I'm not sure how anyone could survive), but it seems equally strange that local news hasn't picked up on it as far as I can see.

Also, when you visit Patricia Thomas' (the woman consistently linked to the "news") actual Facebook page, there is no post about anyone related to her passing. He last post in on June 16th wishing her family members a happy fathers day. Maybe she took it down.

Again, just strange. Maybe those of you who live closer to KI are experiencing different news. 

52 minutes ago, dr_humor said:

What has seemed strange is the almost complete lack of national coverage. 

Anecdotally, Ive seen on social media pages from news outlets where I have lived across the country. Tennessee, Arizona and Idaho have all had Facebook news feed stories.  I don't know if they have a segment on the local broadcast. The posts I have seen are from parent companies of the local outlets.

I do have friends across the country who know I'm into roller coasters and many of them have messaged me to make sure I'm ok. :)

• Like 1

That's fair; I guess I was just expecting it to pop up on ABC Nightly News or something similar. I'm sure the park is relieved it hasn't.

It's the lack of reporting from actual (local) news sources regarding the man's death that seems really weird. Then again, I know next to nothing (actually make that absolutely nothing) about what a news stations' guidelines are regarding that. 

11 minutes ago, dr_humor said:

That's fair; I guess I was just expecting it to pop up on ABC Nightly News or something similar. I'm sure the park is relieved it hasn't.

It's the lack of reporting from actual (local) news sources regarding the man's death that seems really weird. Then again, I know next to nothing (actually make that absolutely nothing) about what a news stations' guidelines are regarding that. 

It will pickup

A few national outlets have reported the incident including USA Today (which refers to just an "accident" in the headline, which is pretty irresponsible). I've delved into comment sections at a number of outlets to see what people are saying and I haven't seen anyone suggest that the park did something wrong or that this means rides are dangerous etc etc. Literally every post is a form of "how can someone do something so stupid." So I'm not terribly concerned about the ride or park's reputation.

I will say, though, that the Columbus ABC affiliate talked to an "expert" who sounds like the guy attorneys call up for their lawsuits. He argues that the park has a duty to predict behavior like this and try to stop it with things like motion sensors and even razor wire. It was an absurd take considering that such behavior is extraordinarily rare and in no way reasonable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Watched the show today (it was FANTASTIC!  They really tried to get the 2pm show off since they had not done a complete show yet) and nothing of the sort crossed my or my grandchildren's mind. (They knew about the incident).  I would expect that most people wouldn't make the connection.

13 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

A few national outlets have reported the incident including USA Today (which refers to just an "accident" in the headline, which is pretty irresponsible). I've delved into comment sections at a number of outlets to see what people are saying and I haven't seen anyone suggest that the park did something wrong or that this means rides are dangerous etc etc. Literally every post is a form of "how can someone do something so stupid." So I'm not terribly concerned about the ride or park's reputation.

I will say, though, that the Columbus ABC affiliate talked to an "expert" who sounds like the guy attorneys call up for their lawsuits. He argues that the park has a duty to predict behavior like this and try to stop it with things like motion sensors and even razor wire. It was an absurd take considering that such behavior is extraordinarily rare and in no way reasonable.

And then you can call his brother who is also an ambulace chaser if you get cut on the razer wire in the dark and couldn't see it during Haunt.........

Needs to be a law where if you sue someone/thing for a million dollars there is an automatic countersuit against you for 1/2 the amount and if you loose, you have to pay.  That will take care of all the fradulent cases in this country that are clogging our court systems for years/decades on end.  The only people who make out are the lawyers.  Oh, and you only get 1 appeal.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DoomPlague said:

It wouldn't help the park that a ride operator was interviewed on two local television stations and said that if someone is determined to go into a restricted area, there is nothing the park can do to prevent it.

We all know this is true, but attorneys are trained in the art of word manipulation. 

This young man should have known better.

I still can't comprehend how he thought he'd be able to accurately locate where his keys fell. That ride is disorienting enough (to even locate on what portion of the track you'd be). But beyond that, you're going so fast that even if you knew the general area, who knows where they would have landed. Obviously the guys wasn't thinking-but it's asinine to think you'd be able to quickly locate them.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, DoomPlague said:

When they get cut up on the razor wire, they'll sue about that. And another expert will be on TV saying Kings Island shouldn't use razor wire.

Edited by Marcus
  • Like 1

It’s possible he had an AirTag/Tile or similar tracker on his keychain. Only speculation of course. 

If I were in his shoes, even if I thought I could find my keys, how would I think I’d get away without being found and probably arrested, which would defeat the whole strategy.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Marcus said:

When they get cut up on the razor wire, they'll sue about that. And another expert will be on TV saying Kings Island shouldn't use razor wire.

I believe razorwire is even illegal a lot of places. Unless it's a government use etc.

I only said razor wire because that is supposedly what the "expert" said on TV. Barbed wire and razor wire are different, and they may have meant barbed wire.  I think either are unnecessary though. Only change I think they might reasonably make is to make the tops of fences angled like this spot on TT2.

image.png.74714550ebbffa363822039df38da685.png

17 hours ago, TheRickster said:

I believe razorwire is even illegal a lot of places. Unless it's a government use etc.

I may be mistaken but I do believe there is razorwire on the top of the fence in the parking lot in front of Congo Falls/Invertigo.

On 6/24/2024 at 10:12 AM, Old_Bearcat said:

Theming on rides would compel someone to go into an actual restricted area? 

I don't think it's a good idea to blur the line between actual safety warnings and ride theming. Plus, "don't go into the restricted area" blaring kind of feels like it's in poor taste now.

I've now realized that, after merger, this would make the 4th such incident in the chain. That's still like a one in tens-of-millions chance of a rider doing this but I suspect changes might be more likely that I previously thought. I just hope its simply a matter of just securing those areas better. Lockers would be overkill, imo.

1 hour ago, DoomPlague said:

I've now realized that, after merger, this would make the 4th such incident in the chain. That's still like a one in tens-of-millions chance of a rider doing this but I suspect changes might be more likely that I previously thought. I just hope its simply a matter of just securing those areas better. Lockers would be overkill, imo.

The merger will result in cost conscious thinking, so I doubt this is even on their radar.

If anyone would be looking at if any adjustments are necessary, it would be the manufacturer of the ride B&M.

But even then, unless you install metal detectors at the rides to prevent any loose articles, including those in zipper pockets, from being on the ride like some other rides do, lockers and bins wouldn't have prevented this as people would feel they can secure the item or afraid someone would steal it from a bin or locker.

At the end of the day, if someone is motivated enough, no barrier would stop them.

Do you want an amusement park and ride areas to look like a jail?

Inmates escape from jails, so additional fencing and razor wire and whatever else jails do wouldn't be the answer.

A fence/wall is universally accepted as being a barrier that shouldn't be crossed.

• Like 4