New Coaster 2024?

Allen Greene

I wonder if we could see some more theming added to Congo Falls, to give it some new life. They repainted Drop Tower for last year so maybe it could happen. I’d like to see KillMart become a inside and outside restaurant, with outside seating behind it to get some nice views of The Racer and Orion, KI could then build a new Killmart by FoF, but I think they’re next going to do something in Planet Snoopy or Soak City next. 

• Like 2

It would be great to see the old Son of Beast station demolished. It is such an eyesore. Even if Kings Island decides to build a new rollercoaster there, a completely new station would be better instead of the current station and surrounding maze of ramps. I do not see Kings Island paying to demolish it unless it a part of a bigger project, though, so if it is demolished, maybe the park does have plans for Action Zone.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

It would be great to see the old Son of Beast station demolished. It is such an eyesore. Even if Kings Island decides to build a new rollercoaster there, a completely new station would be better instead of the current station and surrounding maze of ramps. I do not see Kings Island paying to demolish it unless it a part of a bigger project, though, so if it is demolished, maybe the park does have plans for Action Zone.

Auction it off and I'll buy the entire station and queue with the $950k I don't have :D

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I think if they were to repurpose the station for a coaster we'd see the ramps and stuff replaced. I could see the area between the bathrooms and Banshee's station turn into the exit area and stairs up into the station added between the station and Bat (and likely the coaster's brake run area). Also I definitely think we would see the ugly chain link fence replaced with wood fencing or at least better looking fencing.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
2 hours ago, Orion742 said:

I wouldn’t say it won’t happen. I definitely think the park knows how successful Time Traveler was. 

I agree. I personally think a Mack Extreme Spinner would be the best realistic replacement for Vortex (By realistic, I mean not RMC or Intamin).

Two main concerns that I have would be with capacity and price. Assuming it would likely have 16-person trains like Time Traveler and Ride to Happiness, I don't really know how well the capacity would be for a park like Kings Island even with 3 trains. Then again, it is possible Kings Island and Mack Rides could opt to do some things to increase the capacity, like having dual load and unload stations, so I don't think it would be much of a hindrance.

My main concern would primarily be with cost. Mack Rides is known to be an expensive company to work with in the states, and I imagine a coaster like an Extreme Spinner would cost the park at least $25 million. Now, spending $25 million or more for a new coaster wouldn't be new to Kings Island, with the installations of Banshee and Orion being prime examples of this. Given the current state of our economy after the pandemic, however, I wouldn't be surprised if Kings Island goes with a less-expensive alternative like Vekoma or Zamperla instead.

Again, I do think a Mack Extreme Spinner could easily be the best coaster in the park if the receptions for Time Traveler and especially Ride to Happiness are anything to go by. It could easily give us that true elite coaster that we've been wanting for so long, while also not interfering with anything in Cedar Point's coaster lineup. Personally, I do believe the concerns I've raised above do lessen the odds of an Extreme Spinner being our replacement for Vortex. However, I don't think those concerns are enough for it to be an impossibility. Kings Island had close to four years to think about what could be going in that land, and with the earliest opening year in my mind being 2026, they could want this coaster to be something special to make up for the long wait.

• Like 2

For the spinner, I see some challenges: 1. Cost.  2. Capacity.  3.  GP not wanting to do extreme spinning on a coaster.  (I would likely not ride myself because I don't do spinning flats.)

I think they would also look at the performance of Cooperhead Strike at Carowinds, even though it is not a spinner.  From what I have heard, it did not give a huge attendance boost to this park and if i recall correctly, it was more expensive than Fury 325.  

If TT2 is a success, I think we will see a Zamperla.  If not,, I think we will see a Vekoma.  Next would be a BM dive. 

The question is--do they fill Vortex or tackle Action Zone first?  Both are glaring issues with the park.  Plus they need to address the water park, the Rivertown Box, eventually Boo Blasters as well as infrastructure and cosmetic issues. By the time they touch all these, it will be time to renovate International Street, redesign the Royal Fountain with pedestals, and replace Diamondback as it reaches the end of its service life! ;)

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

GP not wanting to do extreme spinning on a coaster.  (I would likely not ride myself because I don't do spinning flats.)

I believe Time Traveler has been a big hit at Dollywood and it has a magnet on the train that makes it a controlled spin and not an uncontrolled spin like tea cups. Now Ride to Happiness takes that magnet off and runs as an uncontrolled spinning coaster. I think knowing how the park would want the ride to appeal to a wider demographic, if KI gets an Xtreme Spinner it'll likely have the magnet on and ride like Time Traveler. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

For the spinner, I see some challenges: 1. Cost.  2. Capacity.  3.  GP not wanting to do extreme spinning on a coaster.  (I would likely not ride myself because I don't do spinning flats.)

I think they would also look at the performance of Cooperhead Strike at Carowinds, even though it is not a spinner.  From what I have heard, it did not give a huge attendance boost to this park and if i recall correctly, it was more expensive than Fury 325.  

If TT2 is a success, I think we will see a Zamperla.  If not,, I think we will see a Vekoma.  Next would be a BM dive. 

The question is--do they fill Vortex or tackle Action Zone first?  Both are glaring issues with the park.  Plus they need to address the water park, the Rivertown Box, eventually Boo Blasters as well as infrastructure and cosmetic issues. By the time they touch all these, it will be time to renovate International Street, redesign the Royal Fountain with pedestals, and replace Diamondback as it reaches the end of its service life! ;)

Here are my thoughts on the issues you mentioned:

1: Cost. I could see this being a problem but with attendance up and with 4 non Covid seasons after Orion, by 2026 I don’t see it being much of an issue. CF is willing to pay the big price tag if they know it will be a good return on investment.

2: Capacity. I could see this being a problem during Haunt but SDC has really seemed to get in a groove and TT line is the fastest line in that park. 3 trains and over 1,100 riders an hour not bad capacity but not the best. 

3: The GP not liking spinning coasters. I think this would be an issue if we got the free spin on the cars like RTH. I hear that RTH almost never has a line and is too extreme for the average guest. Time Traveler on the other hand has a control spin and it works really well. I personally have gotten the chance to ride Time Traveler and I can’t do any Teacups or spin rides but Time Traveler is not at all nauseating it’s unbelievable how re rideable it is. In fact I rode it 5 times in a row with no dizziness whatsoever. Time Traveler is always the longest line at the park and I hear guests come off saying they loved it and want to go again.

One other thing you mentioned. Yes I have heard that too, Copperhead underperformed for what CF needed. I mentioned this in another topic, Copperhead is a standard launch coaster I don’t really see guests driving really far away to ride a ride that will be similar they can ride a lot closer. Although I can see people on the east coast driving all over to ride an extreme spinner since the closest one would be in Missouri which is really far for some people. Here again is where that uniqueness factor comes into play that worries me about adding plain launch coasters. 

I do see some of these being minor issues but nothing CF and Mack can’t fix.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I believe Time Traveler has been a big hit at Dollywood and it has a magnet on the train that makes it a controlled spin and not an uncontrolled spin like tea cups. Now Ride to Happiness takes that magnet off and runs as an uncontrolled spinning coaster. I think knowing how the park would want the ride to appeal to a wider demographic, if KI gets an Xtreme Spinner it'll likely have the magnet on and ride like Time Traveler. 

Maybe I misunderstand what an "extreme spinner" is.  If it has a magnet that controls the spin in a very controlled manner, is it still extreme?  Can they allow some cars on the train to not spin?  Best of both worlds?

25 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Maybe I misunderstand what an "extreme spinner" is.  If it has a magnet that controls the spin in a very controlled manner, is it still extreme?  Can they allow some cars on the train to not spin?  Best of both worlds?

The controlled spin really isn’t like a spin it’s like a slow rotation.

It's extreme because it spins at all while on a ride with strong forces and inversions.

2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

As badly as I want them to improve Action Zone, and least its not just a big empty plot of land in spot of the park that needs a major attraction to even things out. The Vortex plot has to be the priority...unless they are still somehow catching up on projects planned before Vortex's removal (but I doubt that includes an Action Zone overhaul).

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

I really liked Guardians Cosmic Rewind at Disney.  If they could do a controlled spin like that it could be really fun.

The spinning on Time Traveler is very similar to GCR. I’ve said before it’s only really extreme because your are going through inversions, airtime hills and quick transitions while spinning. It’s more like a slow rotation than a spin.

• Like 3

It would be kind of neat to have a setup where you have the option to ride in the front half of the train for a less extreme ride with the magnetically controlled seats or the back half of the train for more extreme ride with the uncontrolled seats. This setup would require a very good separator, though, as he/she would be bombarded with requests. A single rider line could also be implemented to boost capacity and ensure that there are not empty seats being sent out.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

So its not extreme?

No, It is not extreme. That model name is misleading. Unless those trains can spin extreme and SDC does not allow them to on TT?  I rode TT 5 times this summer, and the only time it was remotely extreme was when we were the only ones on that car and the balance was off. Even then, it was not what I call extreme. It has just enough of a "spin" that each ride gives you a new experience on each element of the ride. Nicole does not do spinning flats at all, and she rode it the 5 times with me. If that gives you any indication.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

It would be kind of neat to have a setup where you have the option to ride in the front half of the train for a less extreme ride with the magnetically controlled seats or the back half of the train for more extreme ride with the uncontrolled seats. This setup would require a very good separator, though, as he/she would be bombarded with requests. A single rider line could also be implemented to boost capacity and ensure that there are not empty seats being sent out.

That would be awesome. The only problem is there would be too many people waiting for one specific line hurting capacity even further since it would have to take up an entire car. I could see though at Coaster Stock they could take off the magnet and have the cars free spin. They could advertise it as the only two days of the year you can ride a ride that is like this in the entire country. I think that would bring in a ton of people.

17 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

No, It is not extreme. That model name is misleading. Unless those trains can spin extreme and SDC does not allow them to on TT?  I rode TT 5 times this summer, and the only time it was remotely extreme was when we were the only ones on that car and the balance was off. Even then, it was not what I call extreme. It has just enough of a "spin" that each ride gives you a new experience on each element of the ride. Nicole does not do spinning flats at all, and she rode it the 5 times with me. If that gives you any indication.

I’ve mentioned this before. I think people when they hear extreme spinner they think oh no I don’t do rides that spin I can’t ride that. But you really have to ride for your self to see. It is not at all nauseating whatsoever. I can’t do teacups or anything like that but I rode Time Traveler 7 times in one day and 5 rides in a row without feeling sick once. I even had a ride when I was the only one in my car and I was spinning like crazy but when I came off I did not feel dizzy at all. I got right back in line and rode again. It’s insane how re rideable it is!

• Like 3

Just a thought . . turn The Vortex area into a lake (return of Swan Lake).  Add a flat or two, restaurant, shops, ie . . another Adventure Port like area.

Build the new coaster in Action Zone.  I do not think we can get two 25 million coasters for both areas.

• Like 3