Jump to content

KI Comms


BeeastFarmer
 Share

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, gforce1994 said:

Nope, he’s the spokesperson. It’s within his right to communicate with guests in that manner.

Many communication directors conduct communications in a similar manner.

Spoken like a true parrot of someone who feeds lines. 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coming back from my grave to post this, so here's some fun stories of mine I've dealt with over the past couple of years. Sorry for the wordbomb, it's a lot.

Incident #1: Middleman (representing a park official, don't know who specifically) reached out to me regarding a project of mine I had made public. No shade to the middleman if you know who you are, you're a cool person.

Incident #2: Guess this one is more oriented towards the forum but it has relevance to the park too. When Coasterstock 2023 details were posted on the website, it was past knowledge to me that since it's on the website it's an "official source", so I thought posting it would've been fine. Nope! Alright, guess not then. Please update the KIC ToS as it's a little confusing. maybe it falls under the "Posting information that is not public record" rule? Define public record please. Got striked, won't elaborate on that, but very shortly after I was blocked on KI socials. I was unblocked a few days later, but that still stuck with me. I know I can be handful sometimes when I get excited over things but I only want to help and have a good time.

It pains me, but that's that. I would love to interact with their socials and this site more but I'd rather watch from a distance. Shoutout to the two girls who took Kyles position after he moved to KD, they're doing a great job :) Haven't seen much mention of them here yet. Make sure to follow zpop7 (Elizabeth) on twitter, she's been doing a lot with the parks socials lately. I regretfully don't know the name of the other girl, sorry if you see this but you're doing great! Elizabeth was doing interviews with news stations over Grand Carnival if you didn't know.

I have a lot of respect for Don, without him I don't know where the park would be. Sorry if this post comes across wrong, not my intention to spread hate or anything.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk I guess. :wave:

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agreed.  It would be a little better if there was signage communicating this stuff to the guests.  I mean, I remember when all rides used to be open all the hours the park was open.  Just makes for a less enjoyable experience.  Certainly doesn`t seem like they are making memories worth repeating.  Wait, that might be the wrong park/chain...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, CoastersRZ said:

Agreed.  It would be a little better if there was signage communicating this stuff to the guests.  I mean, I remember when all rides used to be open all the hours the park was open.  Just makes for a less enjoyable experience.  Certainly doesn`t seem like they are making memories worth repeating.  Wait, that might be the wrong park/chain...

To me, it just seems….effortless- effortless from those who make the final decisions on things, effortless from those who are meant to build up the bridges of communication instead of burning them down.

Its irritating because there are people who genuinely care about the status of the park and it’s assets. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve been having some additional thoughts on the communication situation. When people reach out to Chad on his personal Twitter, he doesn’t necessarily need to respond and has the ability to block whoever he wants- corporate isn’t in control of his personal Twitter….
 

…..That being said, he does make park related tweets and it’s well known who he is and what his position is- he should want to answer questions. Also it’s not a good look to block people who are asking simple questions. With regards to the “DM me” issue, I’ve tweeted at companies before with inquiries and they either answered them right then and there or they would DM me, not the other way around. When you tell people to DM you, you’re making them to ask the same question in private. If they don’t send you a DM, then you don’t have to be bothered answering their questions. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I somewhat agree. Unfortunately he operates his Twitter as if it is park owned. 

It just not a good look for the park eitherway. Guests asking questions "DM me" and/or blocked. I would imagine corporate would frown upon private communications as they can't necessarily monitor them. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

I’ve been having some additional thoughts on the communication situation. When people reach out to Chad on his personal Twitter, he doesn’t necessarily need to respond and has the ability to block whoever he wants- corporate isn’t in control of his personal Twitter….
 

…..That being said, he does make park related tweets and it’s well known who he is and what his position is- he should want to answer questions. Also it’s not a good look to block people who are asking simple questions. With regards to the “DM me” issue, I’ve tweeted at companies before with inquiries and they either answered them right then and there or they would DM me, not the other way around. When you tell people to DM you, you’re making them to ask the same question in private. If they don’t send you a DM, then you don’t have to be bothered answering their questions. 

He's the public face of the park.  He has social media accounts with his name and workplace, therefore inherently representing the park via those channels.  What you'd generally see is a separate (typically private) account that doesn't represent the employer and is only used for close personal connections.

Further, as you note, he chooses to interact with guests on there, having made it known that he represents the park via said accounts.

If you're going to be interactive and respond to guest inquiries, then you ought to simply respond and answer their question.  Ask for clarification, ask for time to consult with your team if you don't already have the answer, and respond helpfully, or at least with PR spin.  Not whatever he does.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm all for blocking troll / scam / harassing accounts but blocking basically anyone who has any sort of critique, complaint, concern, question, etc that isn't straight up harassment and are valid points really is a terrible look for a public relations specialist. Your public relationship with the public is the entire point of the job. By going on a blocking spree like this, it's like banning someone from the park for having a criticism about the park. If you aren't willing to take heat and just crumble, it shows how unqualified you truly are for the position. Public Relations is the job, the public isn't always the best, I fully acknowledge that there are crazy people out there that choose to be angry about anything and everything. When it comes to someone who just is concerned or is critical of something, it is your job to ease the tension. Choosing to ignore it altogether means you do not have what it takes to deal with the public.

Just my 2 cents or sense however you like to say it

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Pagoda Gift Shop said:

I don't get why he wouldn't just DM the person instead of publicly replying to the tweet.  Especially since he was just asking her to DM him anyway.

Right? All that’s doing is making people wonder why he’s asking her to DM him. He could’ve easily DM’d her and wouldn’t make it weird.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Wolf Like Me said:

Wow. :lol:

He is incredibly thin-skinned and immature. He clearly cannot handle any criticism. How is this man-child in a high-profile communications role like this? 

 

By the way, this is my new favorite thread ever. :lol:

Also a really bad PR look when you block the head of the FB Passholder Group for asking a simple question.  A group that only has something like 55,000 members.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/21/2023 at 10:58 PM, Orion-XL200 said:

Screenshot_20230721_223518_Twitter.jpgScreenshot_20230721_223535_Twitter.jpg

 

So I got blocked on Twitter for asking a basic question and stating the answer should be public and not in a DM. 

 

 

Well it is his personal account. Why aren’t you actually contacting the park? There are appropriate channels and non appropriate channels to handle things. Do you think doctors hand out their personal cell numbers or do they have you call the office instead? I’m sure if you called Kings Island, Mike might have the answers you’re looking for. :P

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Well it is his personal account. Why aren’t you actually contacting the park? There are appropriate channels and non appropriate channels to handle things. Do you think doctors hand out their personal cell numbers or do they have you call the office instead? I’m sure if you called Kings Island, Mike might have the answers you’re looking for. :P

Sure, except that he identifies himself as "@KingsIslandPR SPOX" (spokesperson) right up top.  He's wearing a park logo shirt with matching name badge in the profile pic.  The cover photo is of Kings Island (even clearly spells that out on the screen).  The majority of posts are furthering that intent of being a spokesperson for the park.

In other words, not a personal account, but rather one that very clearly represents Kings Island and ought to be treated with the professionalism that deserves.

image.png

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, jsus said:

Sure, except that he identifies himself as "@KingsIslandPR SPOX" (spokesperson) right up top.  He's wearing a park logo shirt with matching name badge in the profile pic.  The cover photo is of Kings Island (even clearly spells that out on the screen).  The majority of posts are furthering that intent of being a spokesperson for the park.

In other words, not a personal account, but rather one that very clearly represents Kings Island and ought to be treated with the professionalism that deserves.

image.png

Right, like people don’t put down what they do for work on their social media accounts? His account also says his tweets are his, so he already put in a disclaimer that his tweets are not on the parks behalf. Since it’s not the parks official account he probably cannot speak in his own free will about his employer (Kings Island) matters publicly. Without breaking rules. Has anyone actually been blocked from the official Kings Island twitter?

Im indifferent with Chad but I find it borderline stalking with what some people are doing on here. Tweeting him directly on issues that relate to the parks official pages? Why not just tweet the official park page instead? Again the appropriate channels..

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Right, like people don’t put down what they do for work on their social media accounts? His account also says his tweets are his, so he already put in a disclaimer that his tweets are not on the parks behalf. Since it’s not the parks official account he probably cannot speak in his own free will about his employer (Kings Island) matters publicly. Without breaking rules. Has anyone actually been blocked from the official Kings Island twitter?

Im indifferent with Chad but I find it borderline stalking with what some people are doing on here. Tweeting him directly on issues that relate to the parks official pages? Why not just tweet the official park page instead? Again the appropriate channels..

Which content on his page, and which interactions, lead you to believe that it is a personal account and not a professional one?  It's readily evident that the page is focused on his role as the "SPOX" of Kings Island, and he uses it to further that aim.

When you're a public representative of a company, and you publicly identify yourself as such, you are inherently representing your employer.  Those who officially represent their employer need to be the most careful about presenting a professional image and presenting their employer in a positive light.  Everything you say or do publicly in a way that identifies your representation of your employer is in itself a representation of your employer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jsus said:

Which content on his page, and which interactions, lead you to believe that it is a personal account and not a professional one?

It says so for the Bio’s for each account. One says official twitter feed, the other says the tweets are mine. 

IMG_3397.jpeg

IMG_3396.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, jsus said:

When you're a public representative of a company, and you publicly identify yourself as such, you are inherently representing your employer.  Those who officially represent their employer need to be the most careful about presenting a professional image and presenting their employer in a positive light.  Everything you say or do publicly in a way that identifies your representation of your employer is in itself a representation of your employer.

Correct so that would be reason why he wants to direct message in private on the matter rather than put it out there publicly. Chris doesn’t like Chad therefor I’m not surprised he got blocked. 

IMG_3398.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

Right, like people don’t put down what they do for work on their social media accounts? His account also says his tweets are his, so he already put in a disclaimer that his tweets are not on the parks behalf. Since it’s not the parks official account he probably cannot speak in his own free will about his employer (Kings Island) matters publicly. Without breaking rules. Has anyone actually been blocked from the official Kings Island twitter?

Im indifferent with Chad but I find it borderline stalking with what some people are doing on here. Tweeting him directly on issues that relate to the parks official pages? Why not just tweet the official park page instead? Again the appropriate channels..

I see both sides. 
 

On one hand, it’s his personal Twitter. I get that. 
 

On the other, he is the park spokesperson. That doesn’t go away. He Tweeted bragging about how the park wasn’t hiring, implying that they were fully staffed. On that same channel, he was asked why so many rides were closed. When he dodged the question, Chris said that many others would want to know the answer. Instead of directing him toward a resource that might allay the question, he blocked him. 
 

I feel like if you put on your personal Twitter bio that you’re the spokesperson and that people should follow you because of that, you are opening yourself up for people to ask you questions about the park. He clearly models his Twitter off of Tony Clark’s, and I feel like Tony treats his as a professional twitter account rather than trying to go claim it’s personal when it’s convenient for him. 
 

With that being said, I do get that Chris has had issues with Chad. But I still feel like this is all out of hand. How many people has he blocked for just asking a question? Hell, he blocked me on LinkedIn for being critical of something he did years ago. I hadn’t even spoken to or interacted with him when that happened. It’s not like I was harassing him on LinkedIn or anything like that. 
 

But I will leave you with this thought: if you think the “tweets are my own” tag holds water, how many stories have you heard about people being fired for things they posted on social media… and that’s WITHOUT also saying that they were the company’s spokesperson in the same bio. Do you think that when they sat down with HR that they could have argued that it was their personal account, not the company account?

I’m not suggesting that blocking people is grounds for termination, but I am saying that it is generally accepted in business that you are persistently a representative of your company. This is amplified by putting the fact that you’re the spokesperson in your bio. Blocking people and ill-advised tweets (like the fully staffed one)  can and does affect the business. 
 

But yeah- let’s leave the guy alone on his personal channels. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Twitter is a weird beast- anyone can tweet anyone at anytime. Don used his Twitter to promote park content so people would naturally expect the same for Chad. People are going to go directly to him because it’s so easy to tweet at someone (unless of course they’re blocked.)

If Chad doesn’t want to directly answer questions on Twitter I think it might be appropriate to DM the questioning party the “contact us” link, or at least reply to the tweet and say “please direct all questions to the ‘contact us’ page on our website.”

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I see both sides. 
 

On one hand, it’s his personal Twitter. I get that. 
 

On the other, he is the park spokesperson. That doesn’t go away. He Tweeted bragging about how the park wasn’t hiring, implying that they were fully staffed. On that same channel, he was asked why so many rides were closed. When he dodged the question, Chris said that many others would want to know the answer. Instead of directing him toward a resource that might allay the question, he blocked him. 
 

I feel like if you put on your personal Twitter bio that you’re the spokesperson and that people should follow you because of that, you are opening yourself up for people to ask you questions about the park. He clearly models his Twitter off of Tony Clark’s, and I feel like Tony treats his as a professional twitter account rather than trying to go claim it’s personal when it’s convenient for him. 
 

With that being said, I do get that Chris has had issues with Chad. But I still feel like this is all out of hand. How many people has he blocked for just asking a question? Hell, he blocked me on LinkedIn for being critical of something he did years ago. I hadn’t even spoken to or interacted with him when that happened. It’s not like I was harassing him on LinkedIn or anything like that. 
 

But I will leave you with this thought: if you think the “tweets are my own” tag holds water, how many stories have you heard about people being fired for things they posted on social media… and that’s WITHOUT also saying that they were the company’s spokesperson in the same bio. Do you think that when they sat down with HR that they could have argued that it was their personal account, not the company account?

Im not suggesting that blocking people is grounds for termination, but I am saying that it is generally accepted in business that you are persistently a representative of your company. This is amplified by putting the fact that you’re the spokesperson in your bio. Blocking people and ill-advised tweets (like the fully staffed one)  can and does affect the business. 

You’re right, you can get into trouble for things you post on social media, even if its your own personal account. That is probably the reason why Chad asked her to DM him instead of him publicly replying. Tony doesn’t answer questions publicly on his twitter account regarding to park related matters for CP, he does however provide a link for people to ask questions.

IMG_3399.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...