Improve one coaster without altering the layout

SonofBaconator

If there is one coaster you could improve without altering the layout, what would it be?  

Improvements could be any of the following:

• Paint job
  • Near miss objects
  • New trains
  • Theming
  • Structures (tunnels count)
  • Altering the lift/propulsion mechanism
  • Other

You can chose one or many improvements depending on the coaster you select.

I’m excluding giving wooden coasters the RMC treatment or Titan track from this thread.

I’ll start with an example: 

I would improve Banshee by adding tombstones underneath the pretzel element to give a near miss element.

3 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

If there is one coaster you could improve without altering the layout, what would it be?  

Improvements could be any of the following:

• Paint job
  • Near miss objects
  • New trains
  • Theming
  • Structures (tunnels count)
  • Altering the lift/propulsion mechanism
  • Other

You can chose one or many improvements depending on the coaster you select.

I’m excluding giving wooden coasters the RMC treatment or Titan track from this thread.

I’ll start with an example: 

I would improve Banshee by adding tombstones underneath the pretzel element to give a near miss element.

I would change Banshee but for a different reason. I’ve heard rumors that the vest trains are lighter than B&M anticipated. So they rattle around the track when they shouldn’t. If it was me I would add the old over the shoulder restraints to Banshee. It might just be me.

• Like 2

I had the thought some time ago of additional theming being added to Diamondback, including:

• Theming added in and around the queue area. The idea is that you are tasked with finding and handling a giant snake (The Diamondback in-question) that has been spotted near a section of Rivertown known as Swan Lake (of course referencing the old Swan Lake that used to preside in that area of the park)
  • Wooden shade structures are added, as well as other themed buildings that surround the queue area (kind of like the themed buildings placed around Copperhead Strike at Carowinds if you've ever been there)
  • Mist effect added to the splashdown element, giving the section a more eerie and swamp-like vibe
  • Adding a hissing snake sound to either the top of the lift hill or in the station when a train dispatches
  • Maybe adding a wooden tunnel at some point during the ride, maybe after the MCBR. I would prefer it was on the first drop, but I don't know if it would be too difficult considering the track turns to the right a bit
  • Like 3

Yeah, some proper theming for the queue and entrance would be nice, and I wouldn't mind some more landscaping around the pool including the giant rocks inside the pool that were on the original renderings. There's also a lot of empty grass all around the pool, brake run, and transfer track area that could be filled in with trees between the ride safety fence and the midway.

A tunnel for the first drop would be interesting, and could be tied into the over Miami River theme with, say, a mine tunnel appearance.

• Like 2

I would reimagine Orion.

-Add a cable lift

-Trains with 2 abreast seating like what B&M has on Steel Dragon 2000.

-Add 30ft in height for the lift hill.

-Add 1000ft in track for the overall coaster.

-Change the elements on the ride that focus on speed and being low to the ground.

-Rename it Orion 2 after modifications made.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Backlot altered to be more aesthetically pleasing. Like maybe removing all of the city scenery and replacing it with a forest. And to tie it in more with Rivertown, change the car design to resemble Conestoga wagons and rename it “Horseless Carriages.” 
Story would be that one of the more eccentric residents of Rivertown has developed a way for wagons to run themselves and has invited people to test them out.

Edited by OverlandTaxis30
Had to correct a grammar error.
  • Like 6

12 hours ago, WoodVengeance said:

I had the thought some time ago of additional theming being added to Diamondback, including:

• Theming added in and around the queue area. The idea is that you are tasked with finding and handling a giant snake (The Diamondback in-question) that has been spotted near a section of Rivertown known as Swan Lake (of course referencing the old Swan Lake that used to preside in that area of the park)
  • Wooden shade structures are added, as well as other themed buildings that surround the queue area (kind of like the themed buildings placed around Copperhead Strike at Carowinds if you've ever been there)
  • Mist effect added to the splashdown element, giving the section a more eerie and swamp-like vibe
  • Adding a hissing snake sound to either the top of the lift hill or in the station when a train dispatches
  • Maybe adding a wooden tunnel at some point during the ride, maybe after the MCBR. I would prefer it was on the first drop, but I don't know if it would be too difficult considering the track turns to the right a bit

Those aren’t bad ideas!

I would slow down the lift chain until the last train clears the breaks by the transfer shed to prevent stacking and add some audio on the lift to add to the affect. Additionally I’d encase the overflow que that runs parallel to the lift hill like Orion and make it a cabin you’d have to walk through.

• Like 1

If its an option, removing or cutting back on trim brakes on certain rides would be my first choice, particularly The Beast.

Retheming Backlot would  be my next choice. After that, any general theming improvements to other rides (and how bout some station/queue music?). Or maybe a tunnel or two on Orion.

19 hours ago, Orion742 said:

I would change Banshee but for a different reason. I’ve heard rumors that the vest trains are lighter than B&M anticipated. So they rattle around the track when they shouldn’t. If it was me I would add the old over the shoulder restraints to Banshee. It might just be me.

Based on my most recent rides on Raptor, I would much rather keep the vests. It would be nice to see B&M just put some modern lapbars on some of their inverting rides.

• Like 1

While it'll probably never happen, I want to see the Backwards Blue Racer make a return. Even if it's only for one season or something.

Of course traditional trains with OTS restraints on Banshee would be great

I would like to see FoF get some maintenance. It's been running really rough the past few seasons and the one at KD is soooo much smoother! FoF running smooth is easily my #3 in the park however it falls to about 6 or 7 the way it's running currently 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maddog said:

I'm with @DoomPlague, I don't get the calls for OTS restraints on Banshee.  The vests are FAR more comfortable.  Raptor is an unpleasant head-banger, and if Banshee reverted to that I would never ride it again.

Banshee wouldn’t be a headbanger like Raptor with OTS restraints. The vest trains are lighter so they currently rattle around the track like crazy. With the OTS restraints the trains would be heavier so it would run smoother. The reason Raptor is rough is because next year it turns 30.

Not getting into an argument about brain/head size here :P but any restraint near my head sucks.  I don't like it when my head, or ear, or anything hits a restraint.  OTS restraints suck, period.  The vest style is far superior from a rider comfort perspective.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maddog said:

Not getting into an argument about brain/head size here :P but any restraint near my head sucks.  I don't like it when my head, or ear, or anything hits a restraint.  OTS restraints suck, period.  The vest style is far superior from a rider comfort perspective.  

B&M has developed a new type of OTS restraint that can be seen on Monster at Grona Lund. It is smaller than the bulky ones from the original ones. B&M seems to be going away from vest restraints on inverts after Banshee. The new Phoenix rising will feature lapbars. I really like the vest restraints on every B&M except Banshee. Banshee’s crush my thighs and other coasters with the same restraint don’t. The dive coasters and wing coasters aren’t as positive G focused as Banshee is so they don’t come down so hard on my thighs. This is not to say that I don’t like Banshee, it’s my 2nd favorite invert behind Afterburn. I really do like it, it’s just an improvement I would like to see.

I personally am not a fan of the B&M vest restraints on any of the models. Winged coasters probably bother me the least but there's absolutely no reason that dive coasters need vest restraints. Those things ruin all the airtime which in my opinion is the reason to ride a dive coaster. Vest restraints in general I feel are very restrictive and often do not allow for good airtime or in the case of Banshee, they crush your thighs. I understand that older B&M inverts get rougher with age and the old hard OTS restraints are going to leave you with a headache after riding. However, there is more to the issue than just the restraint I think. For example, Arrow Loopers have OTS restraints but some of the well maintained ones rarely bang your head at all (take loch ness monster at BGW for example). Montu at BGT has OTS restraints and is the smoothest B&M invert I've ever ridden. No headbanging and no vibration/rattle issues there. I prefer an occasional bob on the ears from the OTS restraints on Raptor than two minutes of thigh crushing on Banshee. Now provided I do enjoy both rides and neither is so uncomfortable that I refuse to ride it.

• Like 3

I would completely retheme/redo BLSC. The ride itself is fun but the theming for it brings down the surrounding areas.

I would rework the theming to make it fit in better with Rivertown, Coney Mall, and the Tower Gardens area. Essentially I'd remove the theming we currently have on it and just replace it with nice landscaping so you are speeding past trees, creeks, etc. and paint the track white. If possible I'd change the trains to horse themed motocoaster trains like on Pony Express at Knott's. The horses would fit in with both Rivertown as well as Coney Mall for a Steeplechase type theme, and the general landscaping would improve the look around the base of the Eiffel Tower as well. The motocoaster style trains would also give it a more unique feel too to make it stand out from the other coasters in the park and surrounding region. 

If the motocoaster cars aren't an option could keep the car look but maybe change to a more vintage style car and have it be more of a coaster version of Les Taxis. I'd also reroute the entrance to be off the path between Rivertown and the Eiffel Tower, as this would open up the current entry plaza for a new flat ride. Looking at Aerial views there is enough room in that space for a small flat to add to Coney. Maybe a Musik Express style ride (call if Sock Hop) to go along with the little 50's theme of the Jukebox Diner and SR&R. 

Flight of Fear- apply sand paper to the track, paint it all white and put a lighting package on the inside, maybe even some music in the spaghetti bowl or on-board music (keep the space theme)

Just out of curiosity, why were the trains reduced from 6 to 5 cars on FoF?

2 hours ago, purdude86 said:

I would completely retheme/redo BLSC. The ride itself is fun but the theming for it brings down the surrounding areas.

I would rework the theming to make it fit in better with Rivertown, Coney Mall, and the Tower Gardens area. Essentially I'd remove the theming we currently have on it and just replace it with nice landscaping so you are speeding past trees, creeks, etc. and paint the track white. If possible I'd change the trains to horse themed motocoaster trains like on Pony Express at Knott's. The horses would fit in with both Rivertown as well as Coney Mall for a Steeplechase type theme, and the general landscaping would improve the look around the base of the Eiffel Tower as well. The motocoaster style trains would also give it a more unique feel too to make it stand out from the other coasters in the park and surrounding region. 

If the motocoaster cars aren't an option could keep the car look but maybe change to a more vintage style car and have it be more of a coaster version of Les Taxis. I'd also reroute the entrance to be off the path between Rivertown and the Eiffel Tower, as this would open up the current entry plaza for a new flat ride. Looking at Aerial views there is enough room in that space for a small flat to add to Coney. Maybe a Musik Express style ride (call if Sock Hop) to go along with the little 50's theme of the Jukebox Diner and SR&R. 

You and I both have similar trains of thought. Pun intended.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Add a fourth train to Steel Vengeance and turn the transfer track into a block zone where the train stops before ascending the lift hill- though this would ruin the pops of airtime you get before the base of the hill.

This most likely cause set ups though. And that would further worsen the problem of slow lines.

8 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Add a fourth train to Steel Vengeance and turn the transfer track into a block zone where the train stops before ascending the lift hill- though this would ruin the pops of airtime you get before the base of the hill.

this would do absolutely nothing for the ride's capacity.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Orion742 said:

This most likely cause set ups though. And that would further worsen the problem of slow lines.

9 hours ago, rhyano said:

this would do absolutely nothing for the ride's capacity.

I wouldn’t know, I ran a simulation of it on Planet Coaster a few years ago but that’s a computer game mind you.

27 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

I wouldn’t know, I ran a simulation of it on Planet Coaster a few years ago but that’s a computer game mind you.

This would cause a train to stop on the mid course break run unless the crew can dispatch the train in 60 seconds. Because Steve does not have multi move so it would take even longer for the trains to park in each block zone before a train can roll through the mid course break run. To achieve this they would have to dispatch right after the outer bank airtime hill.

• Like 1

The Bat

-Bring back the fog machines that it had while operating as Top Gun, but have them placed throughout the layout to give the ride a more ethereal, creepy vibe

-Add some spooky music 

-Extend the tombstones and gothic theming from Banshee to the area. There is soooo  much unused space that could benefit from some relatively inexpensive décor

-Make the station feel more like a cave

Flight of Fear

-New trains please. Those more open-air styled ones that Premier has now I think would really give this a more "flighty" sensation than the bulky old ones it currently has 

-Reprofile the track! Not sure how much longer this coaster will be around, but if they intend on keeping it, a full reprofiling would do wonders for the ride quality 

Backlot Stunt Coaster

-Anything, literally ANYTHING to improve this ride. Again, if they plan on keeping it around awhile longer, this is yet another old Premier coaster that could greatly benefit from better trains and reprofiling. Not to mention any inkling of theming that it has left is just watered down and a shadow of its former self. I honestly don't think any real investments will be made to this ride TBH though. I truly foresee it operating in it's current state until it meets the scrapyard for another family-style replacement of hopeful better quality. Until then, I repeat ANYTHING for this coaster would be an improvement at this juncture. 

That's about all I can think of at this time. Sure, a little more theming here and there for Diamondback would be cool but overall I don't feel any of the other coasters need much. They're great as they are. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

Extend the tombstones and gothic theming from Banshee to the area. There is soooo  much unused space that could benefit from some relatively inexpensive décor

It would be cool if the que became the permanent, year round location for the old rides graveyard in the grassy areas as you come out of the tunnel.

• Like 2