Charlie Brown Coming to the Big Screen

^ Fair enough. :) It's just weird for me since I still very much feel like a teenager or kid in many ways.

On the other hand, someone sincerely asked me this time last year if I had kids or was married. That one still blows my mind. (I know some people are married and/or have kids at my age, but it's surreal hearing it for the first time. It's probably a fraction of how people feel when they first get asked about senior discounts...)

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

It's probably a fraction of how people feel when they first get asked about senior discounts...

Can't help myself. I have to bring up this For Better or For Worse comic strip that I've always loved:

*scroll up for picture*

This, as a cashier, is extremely awkward, and even if you ask to make sure they are of a certain age or not, which you should do, they will still get upset often times. It should be souly the senior's responsibility to read the sign about the discount and then to ask about it. Many seniors may be cool with it and understand that the kid is instructed to ask and sometimes assume a person's seniority, and some may be excited to save a few bucks, but many also are insecure and will passively change their attitude or will snap on the cashier...

Sorry, that was just a little too close to home, that comic.

--

Back on topic. I'm very glad to see this being done, this means, if Kings Island still has Snoopy in 2015, which would be ludicrous if they didn't, this will vastly help our kiddie land. As long as the movie is well received, which it probably will be concerning the producing company's track record, it could help Kings Island with a brand becoming more relevant to kids nowadays.

Though, I'm sure many of the viewers will be adults, reliving their childhood or trying to introduce their child to a character they so much loved. (i.e. Toy Story 3, which had a big appeal to 18-30 yr olds (give or take) because of the people who grew up with it)

• Like 5

The criticism over Snoopy mostly came when the park made the decision to convert the kiddy area from Nick to Snoopy. Kids today didn't know who Snoopy was, they didn't like Snoopy, they loved Nick, etc. Nevermind that most of the shows the rides were themed after hadn't aired in years anyway. The criticism pretty much died down once people realized that the park was going to go to Snoopy regardless of what some outspoken parents said.

• Like 2

I mean, that's just because it has been done; Nick was gone.

I still think Peanuts isn't a very relevant theme for kids.
This movie doesn't make me and many presumed other opinions change as to whether the Peanuts was the best decision for a kid's area theme. It probably wasn't in CF's effort to get this movie to be made, but this is happening well after the Peanuts came to Kings Island and other parks, it doesn't affect whether it was a good or bad (insert other grading) decision; just makes it lucky.

As the father to a 5 year old who adores KI, I can assure you that the Peanuts connection is a good thing for Cedar Fair. You probably don't notice it, but there is a quite a bit of various connections to The Peanuts in marketing campaigns. I wouldn't notice it quite as much, but every time my son has seen a Peanuts character on TV, in an add, on a blimp, painted on the side of a car wash, etc... he immediately shouts out Kings Island. He's been doing that since he was 3 and first started going to Kings Island on a regular basis.

But the connection doesn't stop there with a fiver year old, The Peanuts are timeless characters, characters that both parents and grandparents know and can relate to. You know who spends money in the parks? Parents and grandparents. In my household, if you're on Disney, there's a chance I can relate to the character. Chuggington, Jake and the neverland pirate, some new show my son has been watching in the morning about elephants, etc... beyond that, Disney has a wide arrangement of timeless characters like Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Whinnie the Poo, Tigger, the princesses, etc.. as well a solid handful of more modern day characters from the movies like Mater and Lightening McQueen. I think we can all agree that CF isn't getting the rights to Disney's characters any time soon, so what is left? Nick? KI used to have those, problem is, they're less timely than the Peanuts and not nearly as many grandparents are familar with them. The stuff on Cartoon Network? That's even less recognizable to grandparents as well as many parents of small children.

So why does it matter? It doesn't really matter if the ride is called The Scobbie Doo, The Beastie, The Fairly Odd Coaster or Woodstock Express, its still the same ride experience. However, when you go into the shops at KI, is a grandparent or parent as likely to purchase a Tshirt with Woodstock on it or the Fairly Odd parents that they've never heard of? I'm going to guess the prior. Buying clothes for small kids is much more about what the parents like than what the kids like. That changes as the kids get older and start to get an identity of what they like, but as my 5 year old develops his taste for what he likes on his tshirts (Batman for sure, amongst other things) he's also grown into preferring to ride The Beast, The Bat, Vortex, etc.... and spending less time in Planet Snoopy. The other issue you have, and I'll highlight The Fairly Odd Coaster name, when was the last time they made that cartoon? Does it air on Nick anywhere? I honestly don't know, but I suspect like the Rugrats and other cartoons of Nick's earlier days, they've lost relavance to today's young kids. There is a cost associated with having to change the names of a ride to bring it back to relavance with today's youths and what they see on TV. They'll never have to change the name of Woodstock Express as there will always be a connection to something seen on a fairly regular basis to multiple generations, and most importantly to the generations buying the tickets and tshirts to the park.

• Like 13

As the father to a 5 year old who adores KI, I can assure you that the Peanuts connection is a good thing for Cedar Fair. You probably don't notice it, but there is a quite a bit of various connections to The Peanuts in marketing campaigns. I wouldn't notice it quite as much, but every time my son has seen a Peanuts character on TV, in an add, on a blimp, painted on the side of a car wash, etc... he immediately shouts out Kings Island. He's been doing that since he was 3 and first started going to Kings Island on a regular basis.

But the connection doesn't stop there with a fiver year old, The Peanuts are timeless characters, characters that both parents and grandparents know and can relate to. You know who spends money in the parks? Parents and grandparents. In my household, if you're on Disney, there's a chance I can relate to the character. Chuggington, Jake and the neverland pirate, some new show my son has been watching in the morning about elephants, etc... beyond that, Disney has a wide arrangement of timeless characters like Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Whinnie the Poo, Tigger, the princesses, etc.. as well a solid handful of more modern day characters from the movies like Mater and Lightening McQueen. I think we can all agree that CF isn't getting the rights to Disney's characters any time soon, so what is left? Nick? KI used to have those, problem is, they're less timely than the Peanuts and not nearly as many grandparents are familar with them. The stuff on Cartoon Network? That's even less recognizable to grandparents as well as many parents of small children.

So why does it matter? It doesn't really matter if the ride is called The Scobbie Doo, The Beastie, The Fairly Odd Coaster or Woodstock Express, its still the same ride experience. However, when you go into the shops at KI, is a grandparent or parent as likely to purchase a Tshirt with Woodstock on it or the Fairly Odd parents that they've never heard of? I'm going to guess the prior. Buying clothes for small kids is much more about what the parents like than what the kids like. That changes as the kids get older and start to get an identity of what they like, but as my 5 year old develops his taste for what he likes on his tshirts (Batman for sure, amongst other things) he's also grown into preferring to ride The Beast, The Bat, Vortex, etc.... and spending less time in Planet Snoopy. The other issue you have, and I'll highlight The Fairly Odd Coaster name, when was the last time they made that cartoon? Does it air on Nick anywhere? I honestly don't know, but I suspect like the Rugrats and other cartoons of Nick's earlier days, they've lost relavance to today's young kids. There is a cost associated with having to change the names of a ride to bring it back to relavance with today's youths and what they see on TV. They'll never have to change the name of Woodstock Express as there will always be a connection to something seen on a fairly regular basis to multiple generations, and most importantly to the generations buying the tickets and tshirts to the park.

I believe you have just changed my opinion.

• Like 6

Medford,

When I first heard they were switching to Peanuts from Nickelodeon, my first thought was that I couldn't think of a pre-schooler alive that would know what a Peanut was, but seeing the way kids react to the characters, they like them very much.

The mascots aren't for me, they are for the kids, and the kids like them. It could be that the mascots ARE kids, in kid friendly colors.

The only odd thing is now with younger relatives, they identify the seasonal cartoons featuring the Peanuts with CF, not the other way around, as if KI put out the cartoons for their entertainment.

The trailer has the same coloring and 3d look as the mascots- this will be fun for a lot of Planet Snoopy kids.

• Like 3

• 7 months later...

No offense to Charlie Brown, but im more concernd about the new Scooby Doo movie planned for theaters, which I mentioned last summer. http://www.forbes.com/fdc/welcome_mjx.shtml By the way, I saw Dumb and Dumber To on opening day and it was absolutly hilarious, I reccommend everybody to see it.

• Like 1