Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

We saw it for sale and a sign out last week.

I asked and Employee if it was on the Dining Plan..

He said you would think so but nope, nothing that is good or like this is on the plan.

Last year.   ALL the specials they did all over the park WERE.   

What is up this year?

1 hour ago, mikejenkins1 said:

We saw it for sale and a sign out last week.

I asked and Employee if it was on the Dining Plan..

He said you would think so but nope, nothing that is good or like this is on the plan.

Last year.   ALL the specials they did all over the park WERE.   

What is up this year?

I was thinking the same thing.  As far as cost goes it should be a wash to have the specials on the dining plan.  The only side effect I see would be the ability for more people to try and comment on the special offerings on social media or to other people.  If they offered them on the dining plan more people would be eating them and more guests who don't have the dining plan would see the offering and possibly try it.  

In my opinion all chef specials should be on the dining plan like they were last year.  This is a real missed opportunity for the culinary team to sell by word of mouth (or eyes :) ).

I never understood why "chef specials" were on a dining "plan."  They are something above and beyond the standard menu.  It costs extra for them to plan/stock/prepare for this food (and during a limited time).  Dining plan costs are fixed and it is money already in the bank.  If you are looking to increase revenue you don't give away new items, you upsell them.  It is a premium offering for those who want an extra treat.  

I've read enough here to think there is an entitlement to dining plan users, it is specifically sold as a value deal i.e. "for this low price you'll stay fueled all season." 

Looking forward to trying it out! (though I've never had a dining plan). 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Maddog said:

I never understood why "chef specials" were on a dining "plan."  They are something above and beyond the standard menu.  It costs extra for them to plan/stock/prepare for this food (and during a limited time).  Dining plan costs are fixed and it is money already in the bank.  If you are looking to increase revenue you don't give away new items, you upsell them.  It is a premium offering for those who want an extra treat.  

I've read enough here to think there is an entitlement to dining plan users, it is specifically sold as a value deal i.e. "for this low price you'll stay fueled all season." 

Looking forward to trying it out! (though I've never had a dining plan). 

Is there even a way for someone with the meal plan to pay the difference to upgrade to a non meal plan offering? Truthfully Cedar Fair or at least Kings Island should increase the price of the meal plan. I would love if we had more food options to choose from or at least more restaurants having a revolving menu. 

• Like 1

I completely understand why some items are not on the dining plan. Some items are probably just too expensive and probably somewhat limited in quantity (or take too long too make) to to justify putting it on the dining plan. Think about it like this. People with the dining plan are usually the ones who are the biggest fans of Kings Island and visit most frequently, so when a new premium menu item like this drops, people with the dining plan are first to know. If these new enchiladas take longer to make and are therefore limited in supply, people with dining plans would probably head straight to Enrique’s to try out the new food, which would potentially strain the supply of the enchiladas and prevent other from buying them. If the park does not turn a profit on new menu items like this, then there will be no incentive to keep introducing new menu items. The reality is, Kings Island needs a lot of guests paying in full to justify these new premium menu items.

That being said, there definitely is a benefit to having people with the dining plan try out new menu items. After all, people with the dining plan would be the most likely group to try out something like this. When other guests walk by and see others eating something that looks delicious (like the new enchiladas), they will be more inclined to find out where the person got the meal so that they can purchase it themselves. It would be nice if Kings Island would offer the option to people with the dining plan to pay the difference for the meal. For instance, Kings Island could make the enchiladas a $5 dollar up-charge with the dining plan. While some guests with the dining plan may just prefer to get a burrito bowl that is no up-charge, I guarantee other guests will pay the extra $5 to get the premium new menu items. This would prevent too many people with the dining plan from purchasing it (because many will just decide pay no up-charge for a different meal) while allowing other guests to see the new meal and want to purchase it for themselves. The $5 up-charge would still feel like a decent value to people with the dining plan because their dining plan is not being completely wasted. When someone has to forgo their dining plan and instead pay full price for a meal, it makes it seem like their dining plan is being wasted, so they will opt to just use them dining plan on something else. However, when the dining plan contributes to the cost of a premium meal, it makes it seem like it still is being put to good use.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

...It would be nice if Kings Island would offer the option to people with the dining plan to pay the difference for the meal. For instance, Kings Island could make the enchiladas a $5 dollar up-charge with the dining plan. While some guests with the dining plan may just prefer to get a burrito bowl that is no up-charge, I guarantee other guests will pay the extra $5 to get the premium new menu items. This would prevent too many people with the dining plan from purchasing it (because many will just decide pay no up-charge for a different meal) while allowing other guests to see the new meal and want to purchase it for themselves. The $5 up-charge would still feel like a decent value to people with the dining plan because their dining plan is not being completely wasted...

This is a smart idea, I'd get on board with this.  Someone with a dining plan may want to bring that up to Guest Services as something for them to consider?  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

It can be a slipperly slope though.  And we know they are in favor of upcharge.  Ice will be the next upcharge :P

True it can be a double edge sword. And we are already seeing that now with the park beginning to nickel and dime us over sauce. Which honestly the park should honor the first sauce for free and any additional be an up charge. And sauce should only be given upon request. I bet a lot of sauce ended up in the trash from G@G and Chicken Shack because it was given out Willy Nilly or it was offered to everyone.

• Like 1

Why would these parks include every special and new food on the (rather low cost) meal plans   All the CF parks offer a big variety on the plan.    As horrid as KI food is, there’s plenty to choose from already.  

It’s dumb business to put everything on it and not encourage more spending. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, super7 said:

Why would these parks include every special and new food on the (rather low cost) meal plans   All the CF parks offer a big variety on the plan.    As horrid as KI food is, there’s plenty to choose from already.  

I agree they should increase the price on the meal plan, that way there would be a better selection in food. Our BBQ is probably the least diverse from what I’ve seen in the chain.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 11:42 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Wel,l went to get this for lunch and it is NOT on the dining plan. So I skipped it.

Maybe that’s changed. There are photos circulating of a promo banner with the dining plan logo on it. 

On 6/16/2023 at 2:33 PM, Tr0y said:

True it can be a double edge sword. And we are already seeing that now with the park beginning to nickel and dime us over sauce. Which honestly the park should honor the first sauce for free and any additional be an up charge. And sauce should only be given upon request. I bet a lot of sauce ended up in the trash from G@G and Chicken Shack because it was given out Willy Nilly or it was offered to everyone.

…or when CP tried to charge like $2.50 for CFA for the dining plan. Due to outrage, that didn’t last long. All it would take is for them to get the idea that they can start doing that the plan will be worthless. Burgers and pizza are on the dining plan for Coney BBQ, Brew House etc are +$5. Trust me, someone will or has already brought up that idea.

4 hours ago, super7 said:

Do you really think it’s horrid? I must admit that it feels like the quality took a big step back this year, but I don’t think it’s horrid. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Maybe that’s changed. There are photos circulating of a promo banner with the dining plan logo on it.

Yeah, but @Oldiesmannwho posted that photo did not have luck using it on the meal plan today. Not sure why the logo is on there. Either the logo was a mistake or the workers there did not get the memo it was on the meal plan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

…or when CP tried to charge like $2.50 for CFA for the dining plan. Due to outrage, that didn’t last long. All it would take is for them to get the idea that they can start doing that the plan will be worthless. Burgers and pizza are on the dining plan for Coney BBQ, Brew House etc are +$5. Trust me, someone will or has already brought up that idea.

The Cows know what they have and wanted a bigger cut. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, brenthodge said:

In todays episode of “Spin the wheel of food ops at Ki”… now it IS (maybe, we don’t have a button, we ring it as Tacos) on the food plan (if you ask and make them because it now has that logo) good lord guys!!! Figure it out LOL. 

C9192DC0-2421-4EA8-A6A5-B6321120F351.jpeg

Fantastic!  I think maybe they realized that there wasn't enough signage and they weren't selling any so they decided for a two-fer to raise awareness.

Also the Reuben on Rye special at the Festhaus is on the dining plan.  I had it and it was excellent!  Had several people ask me about it while checking out. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, brenthodge said:

In todays episode of “Spin the wheel of food ops at Ki”… now it IS (maybe, we don’t have a button, we ring it as Tacos) on the food plan (if you ask and make them because it now has that logo) good lord guys!!! Figure it out LOL. 

C9192DC0-2421-4EA8-A6A5-B6321120F351.jpeg

Did you get it on the meal plan because that logo was added yesterday but still was not awarded to @Oldiesmann who tried to use it on the meal plan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Did you get it on the meal plan because that logo was added yesterday but still was not awarded to @Oldiesmann who tried to use it on the meal plan.

Got it today. No issue, but I would’ve pushed it had it been. Was tasty, and the associate plating was having way too much fun with “artistic” cheese sprinkling and a few limes. I even complimented his “food styling” 

• Like 3

On 6/17/2023 at 4:23 PM, Tr0y said:

I agree they should increase the price on the meal plan, that way there would be a better selection in food. Our BBQ is probably the least diverse from what I’ve seen in the chain.

It is.   Both KD and Carowinds have good brisket.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, robintodd said:

Also the Reuben on Rye special at the Festhaus is on the dining plan.

I wasn't aware they even had Reubens in Festhaus, though I'm never on that side of the building (if I'm in there it's because I want Panda - I can get pizza or burgers elsewhere without having to stand in such long slow-moving lines), but I'll definitely have to check that out next weekend.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Got it today. No issue, but I would’ve pushed it had it been. Was tasty, and the associate plating was having way too much fun with “artistic” cheese sprinkling and a few limes. I even complimented his “food styling” 

Actually I found out the confusion.  There are two chef specials there.  One is enchaladas with empanadas (not on the dining plan) and the other is just the enchaladas (on the dining plan).  Pretty confusing!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

I wasn't aware they even had Reubens in Festhaus, though I'm never on that side of the building (if I'm in there it's because I want Panda - I can get pizza or burgers elsewhere without having to stand in such long slow-moving lines), but I'll definitely have to check that out next weekend.

There's a small sign.  I noticed it on the right side line at the end where the hamburgers are placed.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Oldiesmann said:

They do a horrible job of promo specials in there. Even last year with the Bavarian Beetle and Italian Job (two great 50th special sandwiches) with signs outside it was next to impossible to figure out where to get them inside. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robintodd said:

Actually I found out the confusion.  There are two chef specials there.  One is enchaladas with empanadas (not on the dining plan) and the other is just the enchaladas (on the dining plan).  Pretty confusing!

Who the Hail thought THAT was a good idea??? Good lord, who’s running food ops these day? 

• Like 1

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic