Kings Island General Discussion 2024

Imperial79

20 minutes ago, WoodVengeance said:

I don't know if it's been discussed here or not, but I noticed that several rides now have a sign towards the exit that informs guests that if they've lost an item on the ride, they have a qr code that they can scan in order to report it to lost and found. It's good that the park is making this more clear for guests that might not know exactly how their items are going to be retrieved, but I can't help but feel disturbed knowing the context of why this was done.

These were added last year

• Like 2

Going to beat this drum many times until something is noticed- and I know several from the park (& a few from corporate) peruse through these forums occasionally.  Yes, I know, I may be an "entitled" Annual Pass Holder- but I'm betting guests who pay retail for admission and food with their discretionary income are more critical observers.

I know people are gross and can't be counted on to throw their things away and clean up after themselves, but at some point the park needs to do something- this isn't an isolated observation. In addition to cleaning at regular (or more regular) intervals- maybe install sanitary wipe dispensers near the outside sit-down eating locations so guests can clean it for themselves (since who knows how many times those towels get used and on goodness-knows-what). 

The picture at the Skyline location, though, is really unacceptable...

PXL_20240812_235256515.jpg

PXL_20240812_235253345.jpg

PXL_20240812_234829281.jpg

• Like 1

I haven’t noticed it at KI (also wasn’t really looking) but just got back from Disney and every manager/corporate person in the park had a garbage picket/grabber. As they stoped to talk to guests or employees they would just pick up stray garbage. 

Could be a lack of direction from management

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Outdoor Man said:

Going to beat this drum many times until something is noticed- and I know several from the park (& a few from corporate) peruse through these forums occasionally.  Yes, I know, I may be an "entitled" Annual Pass Holder- but I'm betting guests who pay retail for admission and food with their discretionary income are more critical observers.

I know people are gross and can't be counted on to throw their things away and clean up after themselves, but at some point the park needs to do something- this isn't an isolated observation. In addition to cleaning at regular (or more regular) intervals- maybe install sanitary wipe dispensers near the outside sit-down eating locations so guests can clean it for themselves (since who knows how many times those towels get used and on goodness-knows-what). 

The picture at the Skyline location, though, is really unacceptable...

PXL_20240812_235256515.jpg

PXL_20240812_235253345.jpg

PXL_20240812_234829281.jpg

Or this when there are literally 4 trash cans within 20 feet

Screenshot_20240813_130800_Photos.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Probably an old point, but one that I feel nonetheless.

#1) The average Kings Island guest is pretty disgusting.

#2) Park Services and Food share the patios.  The window being disgusting at Skyline is on them.

Guessing with budget cuts, Park Services staffing is probably pretty low.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shark6495 said:

I haven’t noticed it at KI (also wasn’t really looking) but just got back from Disney and every manager/corporate person in the park had a garbage picket/grabber. As they stoped to talk to guests or employees they would just pick up stray garbage. 

Could be a lack of direction from management

I've done business on one level or another with a handful of Disney people and outside of that know a fair number of them for the average schlep from Cincinnati. ALL Disney Cast Members, regardless of status or position is to "pick up" / dispose of trash they may come across while walking from Point A to Point B. If they are wearing a Disney name tag and blind-eye it and it is noticed.... it will be brought to their attention. 

I had lunch with one of the resort GMs a few years ago and while walking to our table at a quick service location he broke away momentarily to "bus" a table that had been left in horrible conditions. He was the GM, he could have instructed/delegated the task to one of the other employees (nay... Cast Members) nearby- but he did it himself.

It's the "little" things.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, DiamondBeast said:

Does anyone know where I can find the music they play in Rivertown? I really enjoy it and would like to add it to my personal playlist, specifically their country version of Swing Swing

Whenever I'm in a Rivertown mood, I head for Spotify and select "Pickin'On Series".  I'm sure you could search for Swing Swing specifically.

• Like 2

Dirty tables have been an on going issue for awhile now. I remember back in the day they are people assigned just for the flood patios. Cleaning tables emptying trash etc. It's frustrating when all you wanna do is sit at a clean table and enjoy your meal.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

15 hours ago, PKIVortex said:

I remember back in the day they are people assigned just for the flood patios. Cleaning tables emptying trash etc.

Maybe people still think they do. Still don't think that's a good reason for someone to leave their trash though. 

Also has anyone noticed the sycamore ravine on The Beast nearly stops you dead in your tracks mid descent, or is it just me? Every time I rode it this year, it killed all the momentum from the first drop in about the same spot. It was a huge contrast to last year where I barely felt any trims or anything.     

• Like 1

Seeing that sort of behavior astonishes with "who could be so clueless" wonderment, but then I remember that there are also people who think it's OK to leave their trash behind in a movie theater, and that reminds that more people than I'd like to admit are just self-centered morons who weren't raised right.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

Seeing that sort of behavior astonishes with "who could be so clueless" wonderment, but then I remember that there are also people who think it's OK to leave their trash behind in a movie theater, and that reminds that more people than I'd like to admit are just self-centered morons who weren't raised right.

People's audacity to just leave their mess is stunning. Last week I walked a group of 5 teenage boys back to their table to clean it up near Hanks (or whatever it's called now); it looked similar the picture above. I think they may have thought I worked for the park- which, by the way I don't nor ever have- I was wearing khaki shorts and a navy blue golf shirt having just come from a daughter's HS soccer game. Wasn't intentional- just happened to notice after the fact. 

That said- we got Skyline there after the game and sat at an outdoor eating area of Coney- and got to tell you, I've NEVER seen those tables look so clean.  Each of them had just been wiped down- they were still quite wet, but I'll take that over the alternative.

Potential HUGE kudos to this site! Perhaps park management is taking note. 

One more thing, Dispatch... you called me out on something about the movie theaters.... back in the day I took a giant bag of M&Ms (not bought for $10 at the theater- but at a normal price outside) into a dark theater while the previews were running. When it was quiet between previews I intentionally "stumbled/fell" so that the bag would smack the floor and have 100+ M&Ms make their noise rolls down the cheap tile floor. I can still hear the satisfying noise of the M&Ms rolling down the incline.... I don't regret it. If it wouldn't land me in the ER... I'd probably do it again.

• Confused 2

Geez! And I feel bad leaving my food tray and paper cup on the table after eating at the Brewhouse. If they had trash cans in there, I'd clean my table off. I ate at Rivertown Potato Works last week and they had 2 people cleaning the tables there. They actually cleaned ours right before we sat down. And we always throw our trash away after...my parents and grandparents taught me that simple task and I have passed it to my sons. Just common decency.

• Like 4

On 8/13/2024 at 1:39 PM, teenageninja said:

Probably an old point, but one that I feel nonetheless.

#1) The average Kings Island guest is pretty disgusting.

#2) Park Services and Food share the patios.  The window being disgusting at Skyline is on them.

Guessing with budget cuts, Park Services staffing is probably pretty low.  

The park cut staffing in order to reduce its carbon footprint. 

You see Associates like Cows, fart. Flatulence contains methane which is a powerful greenhouse gas that contributes to global warming. 

Less farts = less greenhouse gasses. :P

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

Am I understanding you correctly that you recently reprimanded a group of kids for leaving their litter strewn about and forced them to clean it up, and are simultaneously seemingly proud that you littered as a kid, while proclaiming you would do so again? :blink:

It's complicated... :)

That said, let's not equate M&Ms on an "already" filthy theater floor with leftover food, associated condiments, and the occasional shoe print left on a table top surface where people eat.  Yes, I was an immature teenager and the thought of such shenanigans occurring does make make me laugh- but the two are not equal instances.

• Like 1

I fail to see how:

1. "it's complicated"
  2. the existence of litter somehow justifies the intentional act contributing additional litter
  3. it's OK to litter if, in the litterer's subjective opinion, it's easier to clean up their litter compared to other litter

For me, it's pretty straightforward - don't make a mess that someone else will have to clean up*.

*The obvious exception being places where patrons are expressly not permitted to clean up, e.g. full service restaurants.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

I fail to see how:

1. "it's complicated"
  2. the existence of litter somehow justifies the intentional act contributing additional litter
  3. it's OK to litter if, in the litterer's subjective opinion, it's easier to clean up their litter compared to other litter

For me, it's pretty straightforward - don't make a mess that someone else will have to clean up*.

*The obvious exception being places where patrons are expressly not permitted to clean up, e.g. full service restaurants.

OK- since we are apparently unfamiliar with the concept of sarcasm or light humor I'll just leave you back to your self-righteous stance. BTW- try to not take yourself so seriously.

Carry on 'Dispatch.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

Ah yes, the "I was just kidding" after-the-fact defense. The classics never die!

I never said "I was just kidding". I was immature in my youth; I admit it.  

I can't compete with you. Never lose track of where that pedestal you stand on is.  

• Like 1

On 8/19/2024 at 10:00 AM, Outdoor Man said:

back in the day I took a giant bag of M&Ms (not bought for $10 at the theater- but at a normal price outside) into a dark theater while the previews were running. When it was quiet between previews I intentionally "stumbled/fell" so that the bag would smack the floor and have 100+ M&Ms make their noise rolls down the cheap tile floor. I can still hear the satisfying noise of the M&Ms rolling down the incline.... I don't regret it. If it wouldn't land me in the ER... I'd probably do it again.

May be an image of 1 person and text

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...

I first off want to say I made the stupid choice of going to the park yesterday because it was an absolutely beautiful day, I had the day off and honestly I knew anywhere I had the idea to go to would probably be busy and or crowded with people, so I made the choice to go to the park for the last official summer season day.

Boy I should have just stayed home. Place was absolutely SLAMMED. Even the Fast Lane lines were long. Longer than I've seen in a hot minute at least. I ended up skipping out on a bunch of rides because having been spoiled by just being able to walk right up to the platform of any ride or just about, I simply did not have the spoons to stand around for long dealing with the gobs of humans in every direction. 

On that note though, I am making this post for a reason. I want to give a big thanks to all the ride ops for the hard work they put in this summer and for working the massive crowd yesterday as best they could. The 6 rides I did decide to do in the 3 1/2 HRS I was there, ya'll did an excellent job making it work. I also want to give special thanks to the ops for allowing me to have my seat of choice when I politely ask for it and goodness I wish I caught the young man's name at Invertigo yesterday. I was a single rider and the line sep was going to place me in a row I did not want to ride in. After I told him I vastly preferred one of the end facing seats he saved row 1 for me and I was incredibly grateful for that. I not only prefer this seat for the view/ride experience, but with ANY invert, they trigger my motion sickness if I do not ride in the front. Not sure why that is, but if I can see the track and everything directly in front of me I'm perfectly fine. Any other seat just does something negative to me. I will tell any line sep I will wait the extra cycles for the front just so I can ride comfortably. As for traditional sit down/floorless inverting coasters I am perfectly fine to sit in whatever row, but inverts require a front seat ride for me not to feel crappy. Moral of the story, that young man did something that might seem small in the grand scheme of things, but it was huge to me. 

I love our park and our ride ops. You all have made my visits over the years special. And this season is no exception. I'm sure a lot of you will return for the fall/winter season if school and far travels aren't an issue. Keep up the good work and thanks again for being rock stars. 

Looking forward to an awesome fall season this year! I hope everyone had an amazing summer season.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I first off want to say I made the stupid choice of going to the park yesterday because it was an absolutely beautiful day, I had the day off and honestly I knew anywhere I had the idea to go to would probably be busy and or crowded with people, so I made the choice to go to the park for the last official summer season day.

Boy I should have just stayed home. Place was absolutely SLAMMED. Even the Fast Lane lines were long. Longer than I've seen in a hot minute at least. I ended up skipping out on a bunch of rides because having been spoiled by just being able to walk right up to the platform of any ride or just about, I simply did not have the spoons to stand around for long dealing with the gobs of humans in every direction. 

On that note though, I am making this post for a reason. I want to give a big thanks to all the ride ops for the hard work they put in this summer and for working the massive crowd yesterday as best they could. The 6 rides I did decide to do in the 3 1/2 HRS I was there, ya'll did an excellent job making it work. I also want to give special thanks to the ops for allowing me to have my seat of choice when I politely ask for it and goodness I wish I caught the young man's name at Invertigo yesterday. I was a single rider and the line sep was going to place me in a row I did not want to ride in. After I told him I vastly preferred one of the end facing seats he saved row 1 for me and I was incredibly grateful for that. I not only prefer this seat for the view/ride experience, but with ANY invert, they trigger my motion sickness if I do not ride in the front. Not sure why that is, but if I can see the track and everything directly in front of me I'm perfectly fine. Any other seat just does something negative to me. I will tell any line sep I will wait the extra cycles for the front just so I can ride comfortably. As for traditional sit down/floorless inverting coasters I am perfectly fine to sit in whatever row, but inverts require a front seat ride for me not to feel crappy. Moral of the story, that young man did something that might seem small in the grand scheme of things, but it was huge to me. 

I love our park and our ride ops. You all have made my visits over the years special. And this season is no exception. I'm sure a lot of you will return for the fall/winter season if school and far travels aren't an issue. Keep up the good work and thanks again for being rock stars. 

Looking forward to an awesome fall season this year! I hope everyone had an amazing summer season.

Couldn't agree more. All the greatest attractions in the world wouldn't mean much if it wasn't for the amazing people running them. This goes for some great interactions I've had with food service staff as well. None of them can control the crowd levels or the situations that arise throughout the day, but some recent visits to other parks has made me realize how lucky we are with our staff. Now if only a certain company could realize people are there greatest assets...

Here's to an amazing Haunt and Winterfest season. Looking forward to some festive decor and testing over the next few weeks

• Like 4