With the new app, Pass Perks may go from an undelivered absurdity to a “thing”

BoddaH1994

44 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

good read but my goodness ads are crazy lol 

13 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

I'd rather them not do anything at all than make a reward an extra 10% off if you visit 5 times in a month. Of course me not living, close to either park in Ohio, it's not as easy for me to just make those 5 visits in a month happen.

As a passholder you already get 10%, or Prestige 15%, and I highly doubt this is on top of the pass discount, so basically a useless perk....

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

As a passholder you already get 10%, or Prestige 15%, and I highly doubt this is on top of the pass discount, so basically a useless perk....

I saw a picture of the coupon and it does say it is an additional 10% so it should stack.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Or it stacks, but only for certain things. They had 60% off “select” 50th merch toward the end of the season. No one seemed to be sure what it was good for. My friends and I tried several times to buy 50th things, only to find out it didn’t qualify. Finally, it was consolidated to a few shelves. When we went to purchase something from one of the shelves, we were told that it was good for anything on the shelves except what we wanted to purchase, which happened to be sharing the shelf with the sign advertising the 60% off.

Based on what we saw this past season, as well as the many displays this offseason, I imagine this level of competence to continue this year with the Pass Perks. 

Option 2 will be that it’s for something of zero value to passholders. For example, a small discount on food that’s on the dining plan. 

I don’t know what part of the new app would make anyone think that this absurd five-year-old program that has not delivered would begin to do so. It’s very evident that they don’t know what to do with it. The person they hired to manage it doesn’t understand the business, and the “as adorable as it is predictable” etc statements made by park officials demonstrates how they think of the season pass base anyway.

• Like 3

I won’t hold my breath. I have the drink plan that includes ICEES so does this 3x visit perk benefit me or not? It says funnel cake in the description. Is it worth my time to go to guest services and ask when likely no one there will have any idea? I’ve been told by a supervisor there before to go to the restaurant and try it to see if it works because they can’t see or do anything in their office. So I’m supposed to wait in line 20+ minutes and just hope the perk works and if not too bad? 

IMG_5628.jpeg.c25879f58c896d75db7936013ac85ad5.jpeg

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, disco2000 said:

Supposedly perks were to be coming out to those that attended preview night and X number of visits in April - has anyone seen any yet?

Nope.  Nothing yet.  Been 6 times.

On 2/10/2024 at 1:55 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

Or it stacks, but only for certain things. They had 60% off “select” 50th merch toward the end of the season. No one seemed to be sure what it was good for. My friends and I tried several times to buy 50th things, only to find out it didn’t qualify. Finally, it was consolidated to a few shelves. When we went to purchase something from one of the shelves, we were told that it was good for anything on the shelves except what we wanted to purchase, which happened to be sharing the shelf with the sign advertising the 60% off.

Based on what we saw this past season, as well as the many displays this offseason, I imagine this level of competence to continue this year with the Pass Perks. 

Option 2 will be that it’s for something of zero value to passholders. For example, a small discount on food that’s on the dining plan. 

I don’t know what part of the new app would make anyone think that this absurd five-year-old program that has not delivered would begin to do so. It’s very evident that they don’t know what to do with it. The person they hired to manage it doesn’t understand the business, and the “as adorable as it is predictable” etc statements made by park officials demonstrates how they think of the season pass base anyway.

This post reminded me of Steve Martin in the Jerk when he's describing what prizes are available to winners. 

“Ah, anything in this general area right in here. Anything below the stereo and on this side of the Bicentennial glasses. Anything between the ashtrays and the thimbles. Anything in this three inches. Right in here, this area, that includes the Chiclets but not the erasers.”  :) :)  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Supposedly perks were to be coming out to those that attended preview night and X number of visits in April - has anyone seen any yet?

Third trip this season will be tonight. Made it to preview night and the following weekend. Haven’t seen a thing. 

My Prestige Pass friends that have attended every operating day have yet to see anything either and they should have these 3 now, unless they only give one LOL.  Not that they said they plan on using them, but the marketed visit these dates and get this and so far nothing.

image.png

24 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

My Prestige Pass friends that have attended every operating day have yet to see anything either and they should have these 3 now, unless they only give one LOL.  Not that they said they plan on using them, but the marketed visit these dates and get this and so far nothing.

No one should have received perks in 2024 yet.  Your visits in May count towards a total and then you receive the perks for use in June.  Here is a quote from the Kings Island website.

Each visit you log for the current month progresses you towards earning a Pass Perk to redeem in the next month.

Also you don’t get all of the perks, you get one perk unless you have prestige then you get two, one regular and one enhanced.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Kenban said:

No one should have received perks in 2024 yet.  Your visits in May count towards a total and then you receive the perks for use in June.  Here is a quote from the Kings Island website.

Also you don’t get all of the perks, you get one perk unless you have prestige then you get two, one regular and one enhanced.

Didn't they have a perk if you attended Passholder Preview and then other perks if you visited in April that were good for May?  Or am I getting the parks mixed up LOL.

6 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Didn't they have a perk if you attended Passholder Preview and then other perks if you visited in April that were good for May?  Or am I getting the parks mixed up LOL.

Not that I am aware of, the first perks I saw for Kings Island were for visits in May.

8 hours ago, disco2000 said:

I believe that was Kings Dominion / Carowinds who did that

• 3 weeks later...

I will say this again. I really really wish they would just have some visual meter of some sort that actually SHOWS you your count towards whatever thing you're trying to get. 

For example, show (number of visits) out of say 4 needed to redeem for said discount. Show an actual visual representation so people can actually have a grasp on what's happening. People have that hardwired pleasure/rewards part of their brain that LOVES that stuff. Physically seeing it would feel less like casting all hopes into the void. Just saying. The park app updates were nice but this easily could have been implemented! 

• Like 1

Wonders never cease.   They actually put the pass perks on according to how many times you went last month.   I was surprised but glad to see it.  It is better than nothing and every little bit of savings help.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

“How’s attendance going so far?”

IMG_1616.jpeg

I'm curious if some of these pass perks are park specific or chain wide? Any non-KI passholder can chime in on this?

King's Island seems busier this season than last.

14 hours ago, Tr0y said:

I'm curious if some of these pass perks are park specific or chain wide? Any non-KI passholder can chime in on this?

King's Island seems busier this season than last.

That, I’m not sure. Another red flag is that they went from marketing the Gold Pass to the Silver Pass, which is their contingency plan for failing pass sales. On top of that, they’ve extended the “sale” an unprecedented amount of times. 

Granted, I could be wrong about attendance struggles; however, I think no matter where they stand now compared to last year, they desperately need a lot more people through those turnstiles for one reason or another. 

I'm curious too.  @BoddaH1994, if I remember correctly, you said in the podcast that you were going to buy your pass at another cedar park.

So, if you buy your pass at, say Carowinds (either in person or online) but you go only to ki and CP with this pass, do you get zero pass perks?  Are pass perks tied to the park you purchased from?  Or would you get pass perks at ki and or CP?

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I'm curious too.  @BoddaH1994, if I remember correctly, you said in the podcast that you were going to buy your pass at another cedar park.

So, if you buy your pass at, say Carowinds (either in person or online) but you go only to ki and CP with this pass, do you get zero pass perks?  Are pass perks tied to the park you purchased from?  Or would you get pass perks at ki and or CP?

I purchased mine from Canadas Wonderland, and have received zero pass perks so far this year.  I visited Kings Island more than 4 times last month so should have received that.

Previously pass perks only worked at the park the pass was purchased from and that appears to still be true.

Per the FAQ:

I have the All-Park Passport. Does that change how I earn and redeem Perks? What about separately gated waterparks? 

No. At this time, you can only earn and redeem perks at your home park. Scanning at a separately gated waterpark (if applicable) and the dry park on the same day will only count as one total visit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

No, I bought mine from KI. I don’t even have the APP. Might add it if I decide to go to CP or something, this summer, but no plans now. Not terribly tempted to go to other CF parks for a mid-level experience when I have Dollywood four hours down the road.