Kings Island 2024 Summer Live Entertainment

Timchat2

18 hours ago, guy1115 said:

Didn't say they were Broadway caliber shows, but through Paramount ages, those were the highlights.  

I’m 100% on board with School of Rock. Magic of the Movies? Not so much. 

I saw School of Rock Live an embarrassing (in a good way) amount of times. I’d wear my black band shirts to the park and sit in the front row. I thought I was so cool. Ah, loved that show. 

But bubbles for a month is cool too, I guess. 

At least there are still 4 shows (for a month lol)

The biggest disappointment is the bubble show.    That theater is a great space for a real production      

The country shows have not been good.    But the 70s show was pretty cringy.  

Retrospect was good but not how they split it into two short shows. 

I wonder if they will cut the cast from the bike show.   It was big the last two seasons.  It won’t be surprising if they do.  

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 1:00 AM, super7 said:

The country shows have not been good.    But the 70s show was pretty cringy.  

I don't love country music, but both American Country and Down Home Country were solid shows. 

Vocally, I'd dare you to find a better KI summer season show than both years of the 70s productions in the Festhaus.  And the last third of the show - the disco section - was high energy, with great choreo.  Not sure why you were cringing.

2 hours ago, KirkSheppard said:

I don't love country music, but both American Country and Down Home Country were solid shows. 

Vocally, I'd dare you to find a better KI summer season show than both years of the 70s productions in the Festhaus.  And the last third of the show - the disco section - was high energy, with great choreo.  Not sure why you were cringing.

Not the talent.  The playlist and format .  When 1/3 of a show is TV show themes, it’s cringeworthy. 

Additionally the show followed the same snippety format most other Festhaus shows  follow.  Small snippets of songs that don’t really showcase the vocalist talent 

The Feasthaud shows cast too many vocalists as well.  So each one only sings a little in the show.   Coupled with is what usually high school level choreography because they cast all vocalists instead of vocalists and dedicated dancers.  

The formula used for Retroseoct and especially Center Stsge Live (less vocalists with a dedicated dancers / longer versions of songs / dancers doing higher level  choreography ) is a much better format to showcase the performance talents

21 hours ago, super7 said:

<< Not the talent.  The playlist and format .  When 1/3 of a show is TV show themes, it’s cringeworthy. >>

Well, you would have hated "Way Too Much TV," then, which is the show that caused me to fall in love with Kings Island Entertainment.

<<Additionally the show followed the same snippety format most other Festhaus shows  follow.  Small snippets of songs that don’t really showcase the vocalist talent >>

Personally, I love that format.  Theme park shows are notoriously hard on the voice; belting rock and pop songs 4 - 5 times a day is a whole different type of singing than what you would do in a Broadway show.  Having multiple singers allows them to spread the work around.

<<Coupled with is what usually high school level choreography because they cast all vocalists instead of vocalists and dedicated dancers. >>

Did you watch the 70s shows?  The dancing was very professional and high quality.  And I doubt that Greg Hellems, faculty member at Wright State, would appreciate his choreo being called "high school level."  Triple threat entertainers, like the ones we saw this past season, are multi-talented.

<<The formula used for Retroseoct and especially Center Stsge Live (less vocalists with a dedicated dancers / longer versions of songs / dancers doing higher level  choreography ) is a much better format to showcase the performance talents>>

I didn't enjoy the choreography for Retrospect, but it was a lot better than the show the year before.  Different tastes for diferent crowds, I guess!

21 hours ago, super7 said:

Center Stage Live was probably one of the strongest Bandstand shows in recent years. Everything really came together well there.

Club K.I. in 2022 seemed to get the short end of the stick with so much going on production-wise across the park. It's one of the few shows I can recall receiving some cuts and reblocking after debuting, so it appeared the park was aware it wasn't everything it could have been.

• Like 2

I thought Center Stage Live was just about perfect for a theme park show  It was disappointing that it only ran 1 year.

it’s a shame they put the show that usually showcases in the best way the talent of the singers and  the dancers  on that awful concrete outdoor stage, with no seating for the audience while lesser quality shows get the better venues.

The one year the bandstand show Off The Charts was at International Showplace was nice.   You could sit down and actually see the performers 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, super7 said:

I thought Center Stage Live was just about perfect for a theme park show  It was disappointing that it only ran 1 year.

it’s a shame they put the show that usually showcases in the best way the talent of the singers and  the dancers  on that awful concrete outdoor stage, with no seating for the audience while lesser quality shows get the better venues.

The one year the bandstand show Off The Charts was at International Showplace was nice.   You could sit down and actually see the performers 

so agree - thats a HORRIBLE venue. Ive for years though the two planters in front of Eiffel Tower could be retrofitted as terraces with easting - some benches that transitioned into tables toward the back. A few classic light poles with flower baskets would bring color, or even 2-3 trees in tree wells on each side would allow for better seating for these shows. Thats are also needs a major upgrade set-wise with some risers with actual detail or color instead of a concrete "porch" would go a long way. ALSO agree that the show with live bad and great vocals worked much better at International Showplace. The bandstand show could be more like retrospect with a track, 1-2 singers and 3-4 dancers is enough. 

• Like 2

With the right kind of warm summer night the Bandstand can have a pleasant vibe. The nighttime atmosphere around the Royal Rhythms with a full band at Grand Carnivale remains one of my favorite experiences at Kings Island. Admittedly even that show was a bit uncomfortable for the early evening performances in the late-day sun.

• Like 1

The early performances at the bandstand are rough on the performers and especially the dancers. They are in the direct, blazing heat with no sun.    Just as bad, the dancers are forced to dance on hard concrete instead of a proper stage with some shock absorption built in. 

At Kings Dominion their bandstand is pretty well shaded and it is built higher up so you can actually see the performers when there’s a crowd.  But that park has allowed to sit down venues to sit empty the last several years while forcing the performers to perform outdoors in the very hot Virginia heat, and forcing the audience to stand up.   At least Kings Island is using their theaters.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
5 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

See a bit of Country Crossroads in action. Every time I watch this show I like it a bit more and more.

Yeah - this is actually a really good show... for the Showplace or KI theatre (almost feels like a Dollywood show) - shame it's in the food barn of the FestHaus where they have to scream-sing to be heard, and others have to scream talk louder to overpower. I think it's time to reevaluate the type of shows in FestHaus to be more visual like Ice Skating or move the "stunt" type of show there. You'd need to retool a bit, but the space is pretty massive and I think you could get the height and width needed to do the extreme sports type of show that wouldn't rely on hearing as much. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Yeah - this is actually a really good show... for the Showplace or KI theatre (almost feels like a Dollywood show) - shame it's in the food barn of the FestHaus where they have to scream-sing to be heard, and others have to scream talk louder to overpower. I think it's time to reevaluate the type of shows in FestHaus to be more visual like Ice Skating or move the "stunt" type of show there. You'd need to retool a bit, but the space is pretty massive and I think you could get the height and width needed to do the extreme sports type of show that wouldn't rely on hearing as much. 

I mentioned on the Tower Topics episode that dropped on Friday (June 7) that I wish the show was in the Showplace, where country shows with a live band used to be in the 1970's and 1980's in the evening hours. It would really elevate the show if it were in that venue versus the Festhaus. Great show, wrong venue. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DonHelbig said:

I mentioned on the Tower Topics episode that dropped on Friday (June 7) that I wish the show was in the Showplace, where country shows with a live band used to be in the 1970's and 1980's in the evening hours. It would really elevate the show if it were in that venue versus the Festhaus. Great show, wrong venue. 

AND - while we are at it - retool showplace with a mix of seating - flat floor in front to double as a dance floor for audience to dance along, raked theatre style a bit in the center with less of an angle, and tiered flat areas on the side with cafe tables for seating/bring drinks/food in. While I complain about the food/show mix in FestHaus, I don't think in an outdoor venue with less of a "food hall" feel it would be as bad. As you said, have these shows in the evening for cooler temps and better lighting. It could stagger with the bandstand show. Retool the bandstand as well with a few rows of benches toward the back or maybe additional cafe tables. Maybe even push traffic to the sides with some planters and low walls and define the area with a change in paving - make it look like a park in front of the tower, then during shows add stantions to route traffic through and around the back of the tower so people don't cut through in front of the stage the entire time to have both of these venues feel a bit like "evening music clubs". 

• Like 2

I just wish they'd get shows out of Festhaus...I understand them being indoor, but I really hate that the performers are doing their thing and half of the venue is trying to eat and talk to their pals. It seems like a disservice to them.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

On the Grand Carnivale page the text mentions "As the parade concludes, thunderous music builds to a crescendo and our King and Queen kick off an end-of-night finale filled with fireworks, lasers, lights and drones."

Does this mean the parade will be later this year? Didn't it start at 7:00PM last year?

That’s been the copy since year 1 (except they’ve added “lasers and drones”.)  I wish it was actually the case where the parade “became” the party using the floats as rolling stages that circled the tower at the end instead of the clunky “rolling empty walk of shame” back to their home. They did that a bit year 1 keeping a couple of floats out by the stage for lights and color. Imagine ranging under the tower - using it as a massive lighting grid- surrounded by the floats with dancers on them and a live band and singers on stage. Basically “ClubCARNIVALE”. Parade runs from 8:30- 9 and then just flows right into dance party at 9-9:50 with live band/soundtrack for closing show (not Under the Stars, but a custom CARNIVALE program) 

New for Grand Carnivale in 2024! Watch our themed international characters roam and sweep trash from the ground! Then, at closing, be amazed when our internationally themed characters push big garbage carriers across the midway! You never know when they will pop from around the corner!

On 3/4/2024 at 1:24 PM, Outdoor Man said:

Just an opinion.

Somewhere in the regional park lore it is unwritten that a park must do annual multi-million $ installations to keep the fan base returning.  Meanwhile, since 2020 KI will have created three new themed areas to bring them to a total of 9.  Area 72.... eh... OK. Adventure Port, nice (if it will be kept up), and now Camp Snoopy. What's the long-term vision for this? Will any of these be built onto or will #10 be developed?  

Assuming that between Orion and the other two developments there has been $60M+ invested in KI over the past four years. OK, Orion is a "giga"- but it's still just a taller, updated version of Diamondback. Think of the infrastructure, themed area development, show innovation, etc. that could have been invested in to create memories worth repeating. Perhaps an entire, ground-up, remake of Planet Snoopy into a fully immersive "Camp Snoopy" area.  Maybe a fully immersive experience to make use of the TRTR building. 

The generally accepted rule for prudent theme park development calls for a major marketable capital investment (MCI) to occur on a three year cycle.  Historically, a MCI was viewed as a major thrill ride, themed area installation, or addition of a major resort hotel property.  In the two valley years between MCI smaller investments such as flat rides, theaters/entertainment venues, restaurants, retail, and place-making would be undertaken.  

This allocation of investment allowed parks to fully capture revenue values from major ride additions as the first year brought in new-to-park guests, second year those guests returned along with fallen-away guests, and third year the shine was still on the major investment and pulled in new and returning guests as the reputation of the investment continued to create and maintain guest demand.  Valley years allowed parks to take a break from large capital intense investments while focusing primarily on direct revenue generation additions such as food and beverage, shops, parking, line-skip passes, and other new revenue streams.

Example: Cedar Point invested heavily in the "new" Top Thrill 2 attraction for 2024.  Prior to the discovery of the issues which have crippled the deployment of this ride, we could assume Cedar Point would go approximately three years before the announcement of another major new attraction.  In the valley years we could have anticipated water park additions, flat rides, Camp Snoopy improvements, new food venues, shopping, and such.  

With the coming merger completion of Six Flags and Cedar Fair in the next week or so we can assume a much refined, and likely reduced from historical levels, MCI plan chain wide.  Six Flags parks will require much cosmetic adjustment such as painting, deferred maintenance attention, place-making, food and beverage enhancements, and retail additions to improve on-park expenditures.  Seasonal enhancements such as IP related Haunt product introductions as just announced will flesh out the capital expenditures budget.  Major rides will likely be placed on the back burner for a couple of years as park potentials are evaluated, marketing studies are undertaken, and legacy Cedar Fair management works to establish and restore relationships with major ride manufacturers.  

Given the past bad blood between Cedar Fair and several ride manufacturers, and the effort to elevate Zamperla via TT2 has gone south, compounding Cedar Fair management failures to manage ride projects on-time and on-budget (think Knott's Berry Farm and its long idle Montezooma's Revenge and ongoing issues with Xcelerator), failure to successfully implement the Amusement Dark project introducing dark rides to each park, and apparent lack of follow thru on projects to expedite replacement ride part manufacturing in Ohio (rather than awaiting long delays on parts to be crafted by China and other Asian suppliers), management seems lacking in the skill sets necessary to engage in large complicated capital projects at this point in time.

Watch for Cedar Fair/Six Flags managers to be picking up paint brushes, rather than erecting cutting edge rides for the foreseeable future.  After all, management is still struggling to integrate an off-the-shelf mouse coaster at Cedar Point sourced from Zamperla.  Tough engineering projects are likely on hold for the time being at Six Flags Entertainment.

Will there be tasting cards this year for Grand Carnivale? The current page lists a "$20 in-park reward" with the Grand Carnivale Bundles but nothing about a tasting card with 6 or 10 items like previous years. The Kings Dominion Grand Carnivale page says "With a Grand Carnivale Package, you can sample exquisite tastes from around the world with a $20 in-park credit included with admission and parking!" with any mention of a tasting card.

Food & Wine doesn't have a tasting card so it's possible Grand Carnivale might go the same route.

20 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

Will there be tasting cards this year for Grand Carnivale? The current page lists a "$20 in-park reward" with the Grand Carnivale Bundles but nothing about a tasting card with 6 or 10 items like previous years. The Kings Dominion Grand Carnivale page says "With a Grand Carnivale Package, you can sample exquisite tastes from around the world with a $20 in-park credit included with admission and parking!" with any mention of a tasting card.

Food & Wine doesn't have a tasting card so it's possible Grand Carnivale might go the same route.

Sounds like they've eliminated them and are instead giving you a "merchandise card" to use toward food - which seems like more trouble than a card with a scannable QR code. I dont understand why they are moving away from the tasting card idea - would've made the Wine festival much better. As it was I didnt even take advantage of it since you had to do flights of a single variety of wine and couldn't "build a flight" or spread your ours out over the several weeks of the festival.