Kings Island 2024 Food Reviews and Discussion

SmartCat7162

33 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

It’s noon and this location is closed. We are in daily operations, so this isn’t normal. Any theories?

IMG_8725.jpeg

Mechanical issues? Staffing? Reduced operating hours? Budget cuts? Failed inspection?

I've noticed that this place is usually closed 50% of the time, I'm guessing that it may not be as popular now since the new Pigpen's Mess Hall and Brewhouse likely are taking away any reason for this place to exist. Brewhouse gives you basically the same food but better, Pigpen's gives you a more unique food selection. 

2 hours ago, Taylor.B03 said:

I've noticed that this place is usually closed 50% of the time, I'm guessing that it may not be as popular now since the new Pigpen's Mess Hall and Brewhouse likely are taking away any reason for this place to exist. Brewhouse gives you basically the same food but better, Pigpen's gives you a more unique food selection. 

The new Planet Snoopy 21° and Colder? 

Or the Camp Snoopy Camp Counselor's secret refrigerator?

• Haha 1

Was at Brewhouse last night and I only drink water so got my dixie cups and got from the tap where the lemonade is located.

Well got back to table and took a sip and it was DISGUSTING!    Tried both cups and it tasted like dirty water.

The color was clear and did not see any floaters but awful.   Had others try and all agreed.

So got the manager on duty and told him and he said he would let maintenance know.

I asked him to try the cup he had poured and did not the first one but did the second.

Unfortunately I had turned around but I heard from my son who saw him sip it he looked like he was going to be sick as he spit it out into his cup.

Anyone else have water issues at park on 06/28/24?

Tried the Muffuletta Sandwich With Cajun Pasta Salad, the sandwich is what one would expected out of a cold cut. The pasta salad was flavorful and yet somewhat freshening on an hot day like today.

Also for those visiting this weekend. As of 7/11/24, Ribs are back in the rotation at Coney BBQ replacing burnt ends:

IMG_3912.jpeg

IMG_3913.jpeg

• Like 3

On 6/7/2024 at 3:31 PM, Tr0y said:

You can make it cold brew, just ask for ice.

Also this time I tried the house blend. Not as good as the French roast.

IMG_3514.jpeg

Nope. That would simply make it an iced coffee. And that's fine. My only concern would be the initial high temp melting the ice too quickly and watering it down too much. 

Also cold brew and iced coffee are not the same. Cold brew is where the coffee grounds are steeped in cool/cold water over night or several hours. Usually comes with an upcharge compared to iced coffee since it is usually made in small batches. Less acidic and more caffeine than regular coffee. Richer/bolder taste too.

Chef’s plate today: Sugar Cured Pork Chops, Sweet Potato Mochi Balls, Thai Pickled Cucumbers with Crispy Fried Wontons.

It’s great to see Chef Perez putting his culinary skills on display. The pork was incredibly tender, I ended up cleaning my plate. :P

IMG_3920.jpeg

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Chef’s plate today: Sugar Cured Pork Chops, Sweet Potato Mochi Balls, Thai Pickled Cucumbers with Crispy Fried Wontons.

It’s great to see Chef Perez putting his culinary skills on display. The pork was incredibly tender, I ended up cleaning my plate. :P

IMG_3920.jpeg

I did as well. Nice portions on each.  Also Chef Major blessed us with his presence ;) 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Less plastic waste at Kings Island. I say bravo!

Sure, but they also had the paper ICEE cups available and yet proceeded to give me the Coca-Cola cup. The Season Pass Drink Plan Plus Add-on advertises an ICEE cup with the upgrade:

IMG_4311.jpeg

That little bit of savings goes towards their bonuses :P

It has been this way for most of the summer at KI with the drink+ plan - you get the drink plan cup and not the ICEE cup with a lid.  Doesn't mean that some haven't been lucky and the associate didn't just give you the bigger ICEE cup and lid, but they have been told to use the smaller drink plan cup with no lid.  No idea if it is an ICEE or KI request.

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

Sure, but they also had the paper ICEE cups available and yet proceeded to give me the Coca-Cola cup. The Season Pass Drink Plan Plus Add-on advertises an ICEE cup with the upgrade:

IMG_4311.jpeg

Did you ask for the ICEE cup and lid? If it's that big of a deal, you could always escalate it.  To me, it's not that big of a deal though. To each their own I reckon.

31 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Did you ask for the ICEE cup and lid? If it's that big of a deal, you could always escalate it.  To me, it's not that big of a deal though. To each their own I reckon.

I asked for a lid, and was told “those cups don’t get a lid.”

My previous visit, a lid was provided upon request.

5 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

I asked for a lid, and was told “those cups don’t get a lid.”

My previous visit, a lid was provided upon request.

I'm sorry.  On the bright side...Carowinds had what you wanted!

• Thanks 1

I did as well. Nice portions on each.  Also Chef Major blessed us with his presence  

Looks a lot better in the smaller boat and not on that huge plate. Perception plays a huge factor when serving food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, SmartCat7162 said:

Looks a lot better in the smaller boat and not on that huge plate. Perception plays a huge factor when serving food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the thing I don’t understand why they can’t master. I applaud they tried to actually “plate” the meal, but what they used looked like the lid to a takeout container. 

This is the thing I don’t understand why they can’t master. I applaud they tried to actually “plate” the meal, but what they used looked like the lid to a takeout container. 

I feel like the first meal would had looked and would have felt a lot bigger than it actually was if they used a boat. I get that they wanted it to look nice, but the way they plated it made you want a lot more. It’s kind of like how if you use a smaller plate you do end up eating less cause you feel more full.

On 7/17/2024 at 10:16 AM, Tr0y said:

IMG_4311.jpeg

Not like false advertising is out of the ordinary for them this season. Let's not forget that they sold dining plans advertising two entrees at Panda and new menu items at Brewhouse and Potato Works that were immediately budget cut as soon as the park opened (and continued to be advertised on the website for quite a while after). But, hey, they already have your money!

• Like 1

So here is a good tale of inconsistency that they are facing.

Two weeks ago, I went to the Brewhouse with a larger group of about 10 or so. Someone ordered the pretzel for the table. When delivered, it came out rock hard and burnt. The woman that ordered the food grabbed a supervisor and they agreed that it was unacceptable and took the pretzel back. A half hour later the supervisor came back to make sure our replacement was satisfactory and they found out that it never came. Frustrated, the supervisor went back and got one himself. I wish I had taken a picture of it. It was big, steaming, and was glazed in butter. 

Not blaming, the sup for the late delivery. I actually a applaud him taking ownership in the end.

Anyway, I went last night and was bragging about this amazing pretzels. We ordered one and it came out not the same…

IMG_0502.jpeg

As you may be able to see from the photo, the size was great, but there was no glaze. It also wasn’t as soft and steaming. Kind of hard. Not exactly “I want to talk to a manager” bad, but it was about half as good as the previous one. It tasted fine, but was disappointing compared to my previous experience. 

Just a lesson in consistency. I will say that the park’s beer cheese is superb.

• Like 3

The food consistency is the one thing that gets stuck in my crawl every single time (probably because I grew up with a parent who ran restaurants).  

Many times with theme park jobs (IMO) is the pay is not high enough to bring people in who want to care about the food service jobs.  They are hard and thankless job so often times people burn out.  

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 12:44 PM, BoddaH1994 said:

So here is a good tale of inconsistency that they are facing.

Two weeks ago, I went to the Brewhouse with a larger group of about 10 or so. Someone ordered the pretzel for the table. When delivered, it came out rock hard and burnt. The woman that ordered the food grabbed a supervisor and they agreed that it was unacceptable and took the pretzel back. A half hour later the supervisor came back to make sure our replacement was satisfactory and they found out that it never came. Frustrated, the supervisor went back and got one himself. I wish I had taken a picture of it. It was big, steaming, and was glazed in butter. 

Not blaming, the sup for the late delivery. I actually a applaud him taking ownership in the end.

Anyway, I went last night and was bragging about this amazing pretzels. We ordered one and it came out not the same…

IMG_0502.jpeg

As you may be able to see from the photo, the size was great, but there was no glaze. It also wasn’t as soft and steaming. Kind of hard. Not exactly “I want to talk to a manager” bad, but it was about half as good as the previous one. It tasted fine, but was disappointing compared to my previous experience. 

Just a lesson in consistency. I will say that the park’s beer cheese is superb.

I agree on the inconsistency part. From what I gather visiting other parks within the chain it’s not only a KI issue, but a Chain-wide issue.

I’ll have to give the beer cheese a try sometime. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tr0y said:

I agree on the inconsistency part. From what I gather visiting other parks within the chain it’s not only a KI issue, but a Chain-wide issue.

I’ll have to give the beer cheese a try sometime. 

For real it’s my favorite beer cheese!

• Like 2