Banshee Train Incident 9/28/24

Tr0y

2 minutes ago, CedarPointer said:

And why exactly was it open today after having an ACCIDENT yesterday? Doesn't make me feel very safe as a guest.

well to be 100% fair, the worst that'll happen now that its 1 train ops, is overshoot the station and latch up on the lift, cant run in to another train again, if there's no other train on the track

25 minutes ago, CedarPointer said:

And why exactly was it open today after having an ACCIDENT yesterday? Doesn't make me feel very safe as a guest.

If they’re operating one train, you won’t see collision issues. Even if they went to 2 trains ops, they could space the trains out enough to minimize the chance of rain affecting the breaks.

This could happen with any coaster that’s exposed to the elements.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CedarPointer said:

Um....it actually re-opened same day a short time later after they removed the two trains....

11 hours ago, Bwb.32 said:

well to be 100% fair, the worst that'll happen now that its 1 train ops, is overshoot the station and latch up on the lift, cant run in to another train again, if there's no other train on the track

That's fair, but it makes you wonder what else is wrong with the ride. Especially since guests who were on the ride are reporting injuries, which I have to assume is true, given the park's failure to communicate differently.

• Confused 2

47 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

Valravn had a collision in 2019.

Makes me wonder if it is a B&M block issue, wet track issue or some type of operator issue.

Glad to heat the accident was not serious enough to cause injuries.

FAR FAR FAR from operator issue. Once those dispatch buttons are pressed and the train clears the lift, the train wont stop till the break run. So again FAR FAR FAR from operator issue. ;) 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RedSummit20 said:

FAR FAR FAR from operator issue. Once those dispatch buttons are pressed and the train clears the lift, the train wont stop till the break run. So again FAR FAR FAR from operator issue. ;) 

My understanding is that there was some sort of software procedure glitch that caused the Valraven issue. Something like, the PLC thought it had one more train or one less train than it actually had. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RedSummit20 said:

You can guarantee that statement?

10 hours ago, CedarPointer said:

That's fair, but it makes you wonder what else is wrong with the ride. Especially since guests who were on the ride are reporting injuries, which I have to assume is true, given the park's failure to communicate differently.

welp, i hate to have this perspective, but, i wouldn't be surprised with guests backtracking post incident, even after not electing to be seen, I.E. SOB Blood vessel bursting incident. 

Per Ohio state law an accident is defined as:  "Accident" means an occurrence during the operation of an amusement ride that results in death or injury requiring immediate hospital admission.

Had one of the guests involved elected for immediate attention the following should have happened immediately: 

(K) Procedures required in the event of an accident.

(1) The owner of an amusement ride or device shall maintain records of all accidents and serious injuries and make reports of all accidents occurring on a ride or device as follows:

(a) In the case of an accident as defined in section 993.01 of the Revised Code, the owner shall immediately notify the department by telephone or in person and subsequently file a written report with the department within twenty-four hours of the accident.

(b) Accidents will be reported on forms provided by the department or similar forms.

(2) After an accident that occurs as a result of the action of the ride or device involved, it shall be taken out of operation and the department immediately notified. Until the department gives the owner permission, the ride or device shall remain out of operation and undisturbed, unless an accident scene has to be altered because it is necessary to administer medical assistance to a patron, free of any changes from the condition of the ride or device at the time of the accident. If the accident occurs during department working hours, the owner shall notify the department by telephone. If the accident occurs during department nonworking hours, the owner will notify the department on a toll-free telephone number provided by the department which features an automatic answering service or device. The owner shall not disturb the scene of the accident until after either reinspection or approval of the department. However, the amusement ride or device owner may take witness information, including addresses, telephone numbers and statements.

Personally, i don't believe the park to be in the business of breaking state law, so id say its safe to assume the guests reporting of any potential injuries, took place post incident, likely the next day after the incident.

Edited by Bwb.32
grammar

19 minutes ago, Browntggrr said:

You can guarantee that statement?

ghost trains are an INCREDIBLY common occurrence, typically maintenance is supposed to catch that when transferring trains on, and before handing off the ride to the operators, but its not unheard of for it to happen, let alone be passed to the operators in this state. 

to learn more about this in depth, see this reference, its a bit long winded, but explains exactly how you can both, accidentally add a ghost train, as well as accidentally erase an active train running in operation from the block system:

Edited by Bwb.32
formatting errors

^ I have unfortunately been part of many accident investigations and have learned that during the initial stages of the investigation. no root cause can be eliminated.

What needs to be done is try & repeat the actions prior to the accident.

I believe both the park along with B&M will try to replicate it and conduct numerous interviews with all staff.

• Like 1