Jump to content

Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex


Klabergian Empire

Recommended Posts

Rivertown needs to reflect it's original purpose...a wooded pioneer era with the industrial era that started in Losantisville.  Not a Wild West town filled with dust and saloons that you would see in gold rush era in Californie, Arizona or Nevada. Big difference. 

  • Thanks 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Rivertown needs to reflect it's original purpose...a wooden pioneer era with the industrial era that started in Losantisville.  Not a Wild West town filled with dust and saloons that you would see in gold rush era in Californie, Arizona or Nevada. Big difference. 

THANK YOU!! the "Pony Express" - Wild West concepts don't reflect what the area is supposed to be. It isn't "Frontier Town" I feel like even the park got it wrong with Diamondback and they took the easy "Wild West" name route bu then didn't even support that with true theming.Somewhere at the beginning of this tread is the narrative I wrote that ties the past to the present with the whole "industrial" backstory to ground it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just want a green intamin that just so happens to be an aqua trax named YoungStud to be installed somewhere back there. (I kid I kid)

Honestly LOVE the idea of bringing a "Losantiville" experience to RiverTown; however I would much rather see that area stay with Coney Mall.  There is a lot the park could do, but something I think that would really take off would be something themed after aviation or Lunken Airport. Being a HUGE part of Cincinnati's growth in the 1900's, I think that any coaster concept could work as the original Coney was extremely close to the airport. It could finally anchor down WindSeeker to a part of Coney that never really fit and give us possibly our first launched Wing coaster. 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BB1 said:

I just want a green intamin that just so happens to be an aqua trax named YoungStud to be installed somewhere back there. (I kid I kid)

Honestly LOVE the idea of bringing a "Losantiville" experience to RiverTown; however I would much rather see that area stay with Coney Mall.  There is a lot the park could do, but something I think that would really take off would be something themed after aviation or Lunken Airport. Being a HUGE part of Cincinnati's growth in the 1900's, I think that any coaster concept could work as the original Coney was extremely close to the airport. It could finally anchor down WindSeeker to a part of Coney that never really fit and give us possibly our first launched Wing coaster. 

Love that idea. WindSeeker and the new Wing Coaster could anchor the area, retheme Jukebox to a diner at the terminal. Do something w SRR to tie into the theme and renovate old action theatre into a large hangar with some indoor flat ride that ciiiks be cool with “flight effects” 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Rivertown needs to reflect it's original purpose...a wooded pioneer era with the industrial era that started in Losantisville.  Not a Wild West town filled with dust and saloons that you would see in gold rush era in Californie, Arizona or Nevada. Big difference. 

That's not true, I made this town like a work place, and the reason why they have all of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Rivertown needs to reflect it's original purpose...a wooded pioneer era with the industrial era that started in Losantisville.  Not a Wild West town filled with dust and saloons that you would see in gold rush era in Californie, Arizona or Nevada. Big difference. 

A lot of people tend to forget that most park was essentially themed to the greater Cincinnati area when it was built. The Coney section was the old Coney Island, Oktoberfest reflected the German heritage, and Rivertown represented what the area would’ve looked like in the 1800s. It was never really themed to the Wild West, yet people tend to throw it in that category for some reason; perhaps Diamondback? 
 

Sidenote, there’s a bit of irony in Diamondback and Copperhead Strike. Eastern Diamondback rattlesnakes are typically found in the Southeastern United States such as Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas where as Copperheads are found across the Midwest as well as the North and Southern parts of the US.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

and Rivertown represented what the area would’ve looked like in the 1800s. It was never really themed to the Wild West, yet people tend to throw it in that category for some reason; perhaps Diamondback? 
 

Probably that and the train playing western music and having the old western town on the route

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

A lot of people tend to forget that most park was essentially themed to the greater Cincinnati area when it was built. The Coney section was the old Coney Island, Oktoberfest reflected the German heritage, and Rivertown represented what the area would’ve looked like in the 1800s. It was never really themed to the Wild West, yet people tend to throw it in that category for some reason; perhaps Diamondback? 
 

Sidenote, there’s a bit of irony in Diamondback and Copperhead Strike. Eastern Diamondback rattlesnakes are typically found in the Southeastern United States such as Florida, Georgia, and the Carolinas where as Copperheads are found across the Midwest as well as the North and Southern parts of the US.

That’s what I wish the park wiujd get back to (and I honestly really see that direction coming-based on CO and Carrowinds projects that tie into local culture and park history more than “made up themes”. I think they worked with what they already had with AREA 72 and made it still tie into park history, but I don’t want Adventure Billsge back just because it was a cheap knock off of Disney Adventureland originally. I think one of the reasons Dollywood “works” is that the park as a whole is authentic to the area so the theming just makes sense in that it never tries to be exotic or escapism. It’s an extension of the area outside the gates. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Probably that and the train playing western music and having the old western town on the route

I think the park tried to “improve” that area but blew it with the Halloween express cowboy figures. They tell the wrong story, have already been “enhanced” by employees with KI accessories, and really don’t add much. The whole area would’ve looked better with just the physical enhancements and the animals, but no people. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

That’s what I wish the park wiujd get back to (and I honestly really see that direction coming-based on CO and Carrowinds projects that tie into local culture and park history more than “made up themes”. I think they worked with what they already had with AREA 72 and made it still tie into park history, but I don’t want Adventure Billsge back just because it was a cheap knock off of Disney Adventureland originally. I think one of the reasons Dollywood “works” is that the park as a whole is authentic to the area so the theming just makes sense in that it never tries to be exotic or escapism. It’s an extension of the area outside the gates. 

The regional history aspect was really pushed heavily by Rob Decker--look at Mystic Timbers, Copperhead Strike, HangTime, also the original Orion story was supposed to tie in very heavily to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base. It's nice to see that idea still continue past his retirement and I hope that we continue to see more of it. I agree with you, it makes the park feel more relevant and authentic, and certainly more unique--a park in Florida can't have Copperhead Strike, etc.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Love that idea. WindSeeker and the new Wing Coaster could anchor the area, retheme Jukebox to a diner at the terminal. Do something w SRR to tie into the theme and renovate old action theatre into a large hangar with some indoor flat ride that ciiiks be cool with “flight effects” 

Or how about a B&M flyer? Give a nod to Firehawk and put the pretzel loop where The Vortex batwing was as a nod to Vortex. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Or how about a B&M flyer? Give a nod to Firehawk and put the pretzel loop where The Vortex batwing was as a nod to Vortex. 

I would love to have a flyer vs a wing.  Unique to the market.  More fun than a wing (subjective, I realize).  I would even have no problem waiting a few years for a big, record setting coaster that ties into the Junkyard coaster space (if it's retired/relocated) and the entire area cleaned up.

 

I think the train route renovations were a positive and to the best of my memory, they could tie in to Losantisville.  Undertaker, Inn, livery etc.  This history was a predecessor to the gold rush Old West, but there was a major difference.

As to Diamondback...I wouldn't expect major thematic elements being changed.  The lexicon is a part of KI heritage now,   And if the 30 year mark is the average expected service life of a large steel coaster, we are about half way there.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

Or how about a B&M flyer? Give a nod to Firehawk and put the pretzel loop where The Vortex batwing was as a nod to Vortex. 

I would love another B&M due to the high volume of guest they push through. But I just feel with the amount of B&M in thepark they might go with another manufacturer for diversity. My top 2 wishes woud be a ground up RMC as none of the woodies will ever get RMC'd and the other choice would be an intamin launch like velocicoaster/ Maverick (CP). However with the amount of down time Maverick experiences at CP not sure KI wants to go that route. Intamin may need to hit a home run with the re do of dragster in order to get new business with Cedar Fair, So I would like to see an RMC. RMC does I believe also offer magnet launch options so a launch RMC would be awesome . just my opinion.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Love that idea. WindSeeker and the new Wing Coaster could anchor the area, retheme Jukebox to a diner at the terminal. Do something w SRR to tie into the theme and renovate old action theatre into a large hangar with some indoor flat ride that ciiiks be cool with “flight effects” 

Did I just casually make the best area for the park that just so happens to work with the Carowinds expansion concept. Heck you could even add in an Air Race at the basketball game and effectively annex a new part of the park to make a cohesive end to Coney Mall's Lunken annex. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...