Kings Island 2023 Food News and Reviews

IndyGuy4KI

3 hours ago, brenthodge said:

So the park would rather throw out ”good” than allow front line associates to override the meal plan time limit when it’s within 15 minutes? AND FOR THE LOVE OF KI can we please add functionality to the ap of seeing when your next time is? I could’ve sworn we ate at Soak City at 1, but when we ducked into Festhaus a bit after 5 in the thunderstorm and waited 10 minutes in the rain crowded line to get food, we were denied… or should I say “offered to pay” our food with less than 15 minutes to go. Then when you ask for him to get a supervisor he just looks confided and walks away. Almost 5 min later I left… food sitting at the register and took the chocolate milk I was trying to pay for. Get it together team. 

Sounds like you picked the wrong register.

Here’s a food hack that I’ve seen that sometimes works. Order food prior to being able to use your meal plan. Pick a register with a worker who doesn’t look like they’re confrontational or seems like they don’t care. They’ll let you by without actually paying for the food and since it’s before the 4 hours they cannot select your meal plan to be used. Therefor when the 4 hour timer hits your meal plan will be ready to use and now you will have gotten 3 meals instead of just 2 in a single day. 

Or you can do what I’ve seen done most often and seems to be the most effective thing to do by not stopping at the register at all, just walk right by. Which you’ve proven works by walking away with the choccy milk. :P

8 hours ago, Tr0y said:

Sounds like you picked the wrong register.

Here’s a food hack that I’ve seen that sometimes works. Order food prior to being able to use your meal plan. Pick a register with a worker who doesn’t look like they’re confrontational or seems like they don’t care. They’ll let you by without actually paying for the food and since it’s before the 4 hours they cannot select your meal plan to be used. Therefor when the 4 hour timer hits your meal plan will be ready to use and now you will have gotten 3 meals instead of just 2 in a single day. 

Or you can do what I’ve seen done most often and seems to be the most effective thing to do by not stopping at the register at all, just walk right by. Which you’ve proven works by walking away with the choccy milk. :P

No- big no. Hacks like these are the root of the problems with food quality and portions this year. What you do is converse with guest services. Suggest there needs to be a way to see how long to next meal (that is NOT come check at guest services-that was actually suggested) and show concern for the parks margins and bottom line by highlighting that this was waste and lost profit by not being able to see the forest for the trees. The solution is to suggest pro-active solution like “build in a front line associate override if someone is with 15 or 30 minutes of their next meal” As you read my second post, you’ll see I left the food because the associate just left and never came back, and I didn’t realize my 8year old, who was starved and had started nibbling the pizza I was making him leave, still had the milk in his hand, so we paid for it in the next “magical 15 minutes” when we could get the meal plan food at IS LaRosas. I know you are being sarcastic or snarky with your post. 

4 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

No- big no. Hacks like these are the root of thh h e problems with food quality and portions this year. What you do is converse with guest services. Suggest there needs to be a way to see how long to next meal (that is NOT come check at guest services-that was actually suggested) and show concern for the parks margins and bottom line by highlighting that this was waste and lost proffer by not being able to see the forest for the trees. The solution is to suggest pro-active solution like “build in a front line associate override if someone is with 15 or 30 minutes of their next meal. And if you read my second post, you’ll see I left the food because the associate just left and never came back, and I didn’t realize my 8year old-who was starved and had started nibbling the pizza I was making him leave, still had the milk in his hand, so we paid for it in the next “magical 15 minutes” when we could get the meal plan food. I hope you are being sarcastic or snarky with your post… otherwise you should be reported for theft and advocating and advertising theft. 

It was sarcasm. I’m not entirely happy with the quality of food either. I’m just pointing out what people do in hopes the park can figure out a way to fix the issues.

I have no clue what took me so long lol, but I FINALLY swung into the Brewhouse and ate there. I went simple and had a Pub Burger. It was really good! I like just a little amount of grease on my burger, and whoever in Brewhouse kitchen grilled the patties nailed it. It was a pretty good burger and an absolute steal of a deal if you have the meal plan.

Highly recommend!:lol:

• Like 2

Got a tasting card for Carnivale. Got to try the Mongolian Beef, Croque Monsieur, Natillas de Leche, and Krapfen do Carnevale. My favorite from these four was the Croque Monsieur (you can guess by the photo.) and least favorite being the Mongolian beef. More to come from my next visit.

Sorry for the partially eaten photos. I may been a bit hungry when I took those. :P

IMG_1445.jpeg

IMG_1451.jpeg

IMG_1450.jpeg

IMG_1444.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HomeElsewhere said:

What's the state of grain and grill recently? I'm at the park today and I'm wondering if it's worth eating there or going somewhere else (I don't have the meal plan this year)

It's fine, but without the meal plan, I personally would not spend the money on it. The portion sizes are just not up to par for the price.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

It's fine, but without the meal plan, I personally would not spend the money on it. The portion sizes are just not up to par for the price.

Same.

I eat there if I’m kinda hungry but not really. I have the meal plan so I don’t care.

If I paid $25 or whatever for those portions (and quality) + drink then I’d be livid. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Same.

I eat there if I’m kinda hungry but not really. I have the meal plan so I don’t care.

If I paid $25 or whatever for those portions (and quality) + drink then I’d be livid. 

For protien-definately not worth it.  But I have been impressed with the three sides option.  Every time I have done that they have loaded my plate up to overflowing.  But its not much of a risk for meal with the meal plan.  Kings Dominion definitely has the upper hand here.

• Like 2

I just tried the French dip. Ehh. About the size of a hotdog, and it’s premade and wrapped in foil. Very salty. I can tell it would have been good if it hadn’t been sitting so long and wasn’t a little soggy. The Au Jus was okay. Maybe I just got it on a bad day. 

IMG_6112.jpeg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DeltaFlyer said:

I just tried the French dip. Ehh. About the size of a hotdog, and it’s premade and wrapped in foil. Very salty. I can tell it would have been good if it hadn’t been sitting so long and wasn’t a little soggy. The Au Jus was okay. Maybe I just got it on a bad day. 

IMG_6112.jpeg

I had it about 11:30 this morning. However, I didn't realize it would be smothered in peppers. I'm not a pepper lover. The au jus had a nice flavor to it, imo, but was also a bit hot for my taste. No quality problem like yours though. The bun was nice and the meat was decent, though there wasn't a lot of it. I think my brother liked it, as he likes peppers and spice.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

I had it about 11:30 this morning. However, I didn't realize it would be smothered in peppers. I'm not a pepper lover. The au jus had a nice flavor to it, imo, but was also a bit hot for my taste. No quality problem like yours though. The bun was nice and the meat was decent, though there wasn't a lot of it. I think my brother liked it, as he likes peppers and spice.

Where do you get it?

I got it a couple weeks back and just picked all the onions and peppers off. The sandwich itself was good, though soggy but that I think it part of the sandwich really. The au jus though needs a bit more reducing, it was more beef hinted water instead of beef concentrated water

• Like 1

The person updated their post to say that some associates are saying yes, some are saying no.

There’s a big difference between “you can’t do that” and “as of today you are no longer able to do that.” One tells me they may not know it’s an option, the other tells me that they were told it was no longer an option.

IMG_7275.jpeg

For me, this will end my grain and grill experience, unless they switch the chicken to a boneless breast. 

I don't do meat with bones (unless steak) and the pork and beef there don't appeal to me.

The chicken breast at Kings Dominion was fantastic.  The sides at our grain and grill are fantastic, and as others have said, should be cheaper to serve per unit than the protein options.

If this is indeed a policy change, it is ill advised and dumb.

• Like 1

I had a relatively positive experience with Grain & Grill yesterday. The pasta included beef as a welcome bit of protein and the naan was reasonably soft and fresh. Consistency of offerings and ingredients still varies greatly but this was enough to keep a little hope alive for me:

No description available.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Timchat2 said:

I had a relatively positive experience with Grain & Grill yesterday. The pasta included beef as a welcome bit of protein and the naan was reasonably soft and fresh. Consistency of offerings and ingredients still varies greatly but this was enough to keep a little hope alive for me:

Now that looks good!  And this is coming from a guy with a stomach virus who's been in the hospital for 2 days where the thought of food is... not good! :)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Timchat2 said:

I could eat them sprouts everyday 

• Like 4

• IndyGuy4KI unfeatured and unpinned this topic