Camp Snoopy Construction Updates

Hawaiian Coasters 325

Since no thread has been created yet, I decided to make a thread specifically for construction updates on Camp Snoopy. As the summer season starts to come to a close and Haunt and Winterfest quickly approaches, we will likely start seeing construction start soon. As we follow construction, I just want to remind everyone of a few ground rules from past construction update threads:

* No trespassing. I know this may seem like a common sense rule, but those who have been around on here for awhile may remember that during the construction of Banshee someone snuck into the construction area to get photos. Suffice it to say that the park was not happy, do not do it again!

* Along those same lines, make sure any photos taken are from appropriate areas. Absolutely no taking photos from rides unless it is from the Eiffel Tower.

* If you share a photo that isn't yours, you must provide the source where it came from.

* Make sure that conversations are done in a polite manner. Every once in a while we'll see some debates that get out of hand. Please let's try to not have that this time.

* During construction/decoding seasons KIC gets a lot of new visitors posting on here so it is important that everyone knows the terms of service. You can find the terms of service here: https://KICentral.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4128-terms-of-service/

* The final rule is have fun. Construction season is always an exciting time here on KIC.

Here's to another season of construction as we see the construction of Snoopy's Soap Box Racers family boomerang coaster and the refreshed Camp Snoopy! 

Let's start with photos of I took of the area pre construction that we can compare to the finished product as a before and after when it is done!

IMG_20230816_162537911_HDR.thumb.jpg.a62b2a234d1ed23c6ae683fda929a75f.jpg

IMG_20230816_162611909_HDR.thumb.jpg.64bef0c2d85280d19d5e4717958c3f24.jpg

IMG_20230816_162638957_HDR.thumb.jpg.7ac20b764b31bf20119ae5038ab96f37.jpg

IMG_20230816_162816795_HDR.thumb.jpg.d59daab433da8ac4485b6824e9b25674.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

According to this article, it was said construction would begin this fall. https://attractionsmagazine.com/expanded-camp-snoopy-at-kings-island-includes-new-kids-roller-coaster/

Adventure Port began construction mid October. However, that was an October announcement and last minute addition. Maybe they're waiting to get Haunt started to begin construction? I'm also wondering if they could still do the nativity thing during Winterfest in the old theater area where beagle scout acres is going. All they would need to do is block off the left side of it for construction of Soapbox Racers and then once WF is finished, start construction of Beagle Scout Acres.

Does anyone know how technically how long a family boomerang takes to construct? With it being a cloned layout and not that large of a ride, I would think they could get it put up within a few months. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Orion742 said:

Any new updates so far? I hope the park gets things going soon if they want a spring opening for camp snoopy.
In the video showcasing CS it just said 2024 so I hope it isn’t a summer opening.

It’s safe to assume Camp Snoopy won’t be opened “on time” (Opening day). However It will be open by Memorial Day Weekend.

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, befat said:

Like Hawaiian Coasters 325 said above, it's hard to tell. But it looks like the snack shack and seating area shade structure are gone. The circle in front of the theater is new.

That circle is Woodstock Gliders. It's hard to tell with the sun glare when this screenshot was taken. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

At the rate things are going this season, I could see this as the justification to just kill “sounds of the nativity” instead of finding a new home for it. 

Kings Island could probably make the International Showplace work for the show, which would be great since that would be a more prominent location. The old location was too far off the beaten Winterfest path in my opinion.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Kings Island could probably make the International Showplace work for the show, which would be great since that would be a more prominent location. The old location was too far off the beaten Winterfest path in my opinion.

The only issue with this venue is slip and falls if pavement is wet, and those metal benches would be coooooollllld!  (So is the train!)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, befat said:

Like Hawaiian Coasters 325 said above, it's hard to tell. But it looks like the snack shack and seating area shade structure are gone. The circle in front of the theater is new.

The Snack Shack is definitely gone. It was easy to spot when I was watching the webcams earlier this week. Glad to see the beginning of what will be a fantastic addition to KI!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

The only issue with this venue is slip and falls if pavement is wet, and those metal benches would be coooooollllld!  (So is the train!)

Love that idea, but agree they would need to redo the seating. I wish they would rework that anyway with more of a stepped terrace style seating with tables/chairs on the stepped levels. Could make it almost an “outdoor festhaus” style venue with food from French Corner and TomCher being brought in. The seating or rarely full and it could transform easily into this, but don’t see that happening. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Love that idea, but agree they would need to redo the seating. I wish they would rework that anyway with more of a stepped terrace style seating with tables/chairs on the stepped levels. Could make it almost an “outdoor festhaus” style venue with good from French Corner and TomCher being brought in. The seating or rarely full and it could transform easily into this, but don’t see that happening. 

I like this idea. Showplace is starting to show its age and really could use an overhaul or update of sorts in my opinion.

I’d also like to see a solid roof instead of that sun shade material that’s currently there, that way rain wouldn’t be as much of an issue, though that may be a controversial opinion.

• Like 2

I would be all for a better -solid surface material-might have to add a few support poles since there’s really not a lot to attach to, but that would be terrible for sight lines if they were just 6” -8” diameter or so metal support poles. As much as I’ve really enjoyed OffTheRails, I don’t love how it totally obscures what was a pretty flexible and attractive base set for a review show. They’ve not really used the side stages much in recent years, and I love to see that theatre and bandstand be more late afternoon/evening rotation to give live E options after 6 or so. 

• Like 3

Showplace as it was before Off The Rails was just part of the experience. Possible rain-outs, freezing cold benches during Haunt, that's just Showplace for you.

Take the bike stuff out and use standing-viewing for it in Action Zone, put the benches that were taken out back in to restore to full seating, clean up the stage and get back to using it for the main season musicals and main Haunt show.

• Like 4