Winterfest 2023 Discussion

SonofBaconator

33 minutes ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

Had a fantastic time this past Friday 12/1. The rain seemed to keep the crowds away and it was perfectly foggy the rest of the night. Mild temps and low crowds=perfection. My fiancé and I felt that they really improved with the whole vibe compared to last year. It just felt more alive, staff seemed more into the antics and the overall attention to detail was noticed. Had a great ride on Mystic and Sol Spin for some reason feels more intense in the cold ( in a good way, its hard to explain ). Other than those two rides, I was more focused the other aspects of the event. Looking forward to going back!  

I was there with family that day and couldn’t agree with you more. It’s been a tough season, but at least the park is going to finish on a good note. :)

• Like 4

This year the buffet is a hard sale for me to justify.  Although that view of I Street is amazing.  I understand the price of food has gone up so that means the price of the buffet would go up too.  But the extra cost for the dessert just soured me on the idea.  At least give season pass holders a discount.  It just seems more of price gouging.  idk

Just about any other buffet I can remember the dessert was part of it.  Am I being too harsh?

But the park was amazing and loved every minute I was there.  I just ended up doing my Pub Burger was good as always . . and hot chocolate.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tks944 said:

Went to WinterFest last night. Park looked great. We were only there for a couple hours. Kinda busy but not outrageous, still had fun. I couldn't confirm but is Mystic Timbers running 2 trains? If they were I didnt notice much of a reduction on capacity. The line moved pretty quick, could been no Fast Lane making up for it? One nice thing about 2 trains is less waiting in the shed. Seemed like you rolled right into the last part of shed and the show started within a few second. 

Yes, 2 trains only. 

• Like 1

Any other employees here? My son checked his schedule for this week and is supposed to work on Thursday, December 7th in the evening. He emailed them to ask if that is correct because we both thought KI is closed on Thursday. He hasn’t heard back from anyone in HR yet. Anyone know if they’re open on Thursday this week? (Despite the calendar on their website showing it as closed)

4 minutes ago, Allison said:

Any other employees here? My son checked his schedule for this week and is supposed to work on Thursday, December 7th in the evening. He emailed them to ask if that is correct because we both thought KI is closed on Thursday. He hasn’t heard back from anyone in HR yet. Anyone know if they’re open on Thursday this week? (Despite the calendar on their website showing it as closed)

Private event maybe?

I wonder why the Belschnickles only lasted one season at Kings Island?  Seems like it would be a natural fit for the park, with the German heritage of the city.  They are very popular at Kings Dominion, according to their fan pages on socials.

Kings Dominion:  I judge you admirable.

Kings Island: I judge you impish.

• Like 1

On 12/4/2023 at 7:49 PM, Allison said:

I’m a bit late replying to this, but there is a private event today (Dec. 7).

• Like 1

I love an article dated today 12/8/23 and states: "The event kicks off the day after Thanksgiving and includes more than 5 million lights, some 20 rides, ice skating, the WinterFest Wonderland parade, mouthwatering holiday menus, and a 314-foot-tall Christmas tree built around the park’s Eiffel Tower"

Now granted that quote is from the USA Today poll prior to Thanksgiving and makes sense within that USA Today article context, but WKRC could have modified it to kicked off in the past tense and what about the 7 million lights?

Did they reach out to the park for a quote or anything?  Was the article just setting in the queue waiting for the USA Today article?

Does only getting 3rd mean more cuts for next year LOL?

https://local12.com/news/local/kings-island-winterfest-top-amusement-park-holiday-events-10-best-usa-today-readers-poll-votes-survey-third-place-list-ranking-christmas-winter-mason-cincinnati-ohio?-fbpost&fbclid=IwAR3sZwwJI6UtTaKohVaTzIipT8sdV8A_3A1komQhUW4iJoZukBo37y08ah4

https://10best.usatoday.com/awards/travel/best-theme-park-holiday-event-2023/

• Like 1

I recently found out that when Marriott's Great America (the Gurnee one) had Holiday in the Park, they ran Raging Bull, Batman, and X-Flight. The average December temperature in Gurnee (high of 34 and low of 19) is colder than in Mason (high of 42 and low of 25). Very interesting!

• Like 1

But it is not just temperatures that determine whether a ride is open.  They need to factor in time to do the off season maintenance on the rides.  Remember that the off seasons are typically the busy times of year for the maintenance departments.  That is why they will typically rebuild one of Flight of Fear`s and Adventure Express`s third trains in the summer.  Then in the off season, they only have to rebuild one train, so they can focus on other rides.  Same reason why Mystic only runs two trains during Winterfest.  They are starting the off season overhaul on the third train.  If they had more rides open for Winterfest, it could mean that some rides might not be ready to run when the park opens in April.  Would you rather have a ride like Diamonback open for Winterfest, but not open until Memorial day weekend in May?  

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

They are starting the off season overhaul on the third train.  If they had more rides open for Winterfest, it could mean that some rides might not be ready to run when the park opens in April.

Let me ask a follow up question- what about a ride that operates at double capacity like Racer? They already go to one side ops during the summer season at times, would there be harm in putting it to work during Winterfest?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CoastersRZ said:

But it is not just temperatures that determine whether a ride is open.  They need to factor in time to do the off season maintenance on the rides.  Remember that the off seasons are typically the busy times of year for the maintenance departments.  That is why they will typically rebuild one of Flight of Fear`s and Adventure Express`s third trains in the summer.  Then in the off season, they only have to rebuild one train, so they can focus on other rides.  Same reason why Mystic only runs two trains during Winterfest.  They are starting the off season overhaul on the third train.  If they had more rides open for Winterfest, it could mean that some rides might not be ready to run when the park opens in April.  Would you rather have a ride like Diamonback open for Winterfest, but not open until Memorial day weekend in May?  

That’s why I hope with Snoopy’s Soap Box Racers coming next year they can open that during WinterFest. It only runs one train so it wouldn’t take as long to dismantle and reassemble the ride for the spring.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CoastersRZ said:

True, but it sure seems like every other chain has figured it out.

18 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

True, but it sure seems like every other chain has figured it out.

Yep, those parks have the staffing to pull it off. Kings Island however doesn’t. Heck Kings Island is already short staffed for 2024! :P

• Haha 1