Kings Island 2024 Food Reviews and Discussion

SmartCat7162

1 hour ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Well apparently subject to terms and conditions has taken effect already, the day after the KI Team posted about meal plans....the KI Team shared that at Panda Express you got two entrees and a side....tonight guests received one entrée and a side.

And a sign that says one entree and one side.

Typical case of conflicting information being shared by the park.

caveat emptor:P

• Like 2

This is why I was reluctant in getting the food pass this year. As a family of 5 we dropped $2,400 on passes this and felt I had no clue what we were actually getting. We are used to the 2 entree one side at Panda. We never finsihed anyway but this again a change with no notice. The effects of shrinkflation. Ultimately I think the food plans are bad for the park. Too many people eating longer lines and lower quality food. Go back to no meal planes and your ability to serve food that people will want goes up. You may sell less but you're getting a constant cash flow into the park and likely providing better experience 

Went yesterday and also had the beef and potatoes and it was good.  Noticed also that burnt ends are back at Coney BBQ.  Interested in trying the new "quick serve" at Juke Box Diner.  With the lines last year it definitely needed it but am wonderinig if quality will suffer.  Hopefully not as the double stack is my favorite burger in the park.

There also seems to be some confusion on where the Drink Plan Icees are redeemed.  Will try and find out more today, but I did notice some people not able to use the "deluxe" drink plan (the one that included icees and coffee/hot chocolate) at the icee stand next to the french corner at the end of I Street.  I overheard people saying there were 4 other places.  Hope to find out more today, although it will be a little chilly for icees :)

• Like 1

^My friends were amongst the first at Juke Box last night and said the bread was hard and the meat was cold.  They joked that they must have been served the burgers that were on display when the news was there earlier in the day LOL.

The ICEE stand next to French Corner claims to be an outside vendor and doesn't honor the ICEE drink plan.  They did that last year for those that were able to use that plan as well.

Yep, here now and off the menu totally already. 
Photo_1713627242358.thumb.jpg.310f64bed2b01ef1d8b481ad8ac9c30a.jpg

Maybe they sold out. I would be surprised if they removed the sandwich from the menu after it appeared to be popular. But never say never especially in 2024.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Used our drink passes at Tower drinks today as virtually no line.  It was interesting that a group of kids in front of us asked for “water cups”.  The associate said water cups were not available at this location and to check with any of the eating places.  Could KI finally have solved the kids hack of asking for a water cup at the drink refill stations and then proceeding to fill it with soda?  Just thought it was interesting and will see if that policy holds all season or Tower drinks has just not yet stocked their water cups.

• Like 3

Used our drink passes at Tower drinks today as virtually no line.  It was interesting that a group of kids in front of us asked for “water cups”.  The associate said water cups were not available at this location and to check with any of the eating places.  Could KI finally have solved the kids hack of asking for a water cup at the drink refill stations and then proceeding to fill it with soda?  Just thought it was interesting and will see if that policy holds all season or Tower drinks has just not yet stocked their water cups.

All of the locations that don’t have an option for getting water only from the machine don’t have water cups.

• Like 1

On 4/20/2024 at 9:45 AM, disco2000 said:

^My friends were amongst the first at Juke Box last night and said the bread was hard and the meat was cold.  They joked that they must have been served the burgers that were on display when the news was there earlier in the day LOL.

The ICEE stand next to French Corner claims to be an outside vendor and doesn't honor the ICEE drink plan.  They did that last year for those that were able to use that plan as well.

We were turned away, along with about 3 groups ahead of us. Then Saturday I ran into someone with an orange slushee and asked where they got it. They said the place next to French Corner. Seems like there was a quick policy change. 

• Like 1

The "excuse" we got from the ICEE place next to French Corner on Friday was that they didn't have the correct size cups for the drink plan.  Didn't try on Saturday.  I am really hoping that was the only hold back, cause I'd like some different flavors throughout the season.

• Like 1

Anyone notice that Viking Fury ride cycle is shorter? I can tell because it used to clear the station area in height, but now it doesn't and seems a little less in duration.  Some of the other rides like Space Buggies seemed to be less as well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

The "excuse" we got from the ICEE place next to French Corner on Friday was that they didn't have the correct size cups for the drink plan.  Didn't try on Saturday.  I am really hoping that was the only hold back, cause I'd like some different flavors throughout the season.

I went to get an ICEE at Ice Scream Zone in AZ.....they said, "we don't have straws." I told them that was okay and just grabbed a spoon. 

• Like 2

Just now, Tr0y said:

Anymore, one should expect the circus to be in town when CF attempts to deliver on a new season pass or add on. 

Adorable as it is predictable. 

That it is. I was completely fine with the strawless ICEE, but what was irritating was trying to find where to redeem for coffee (yes, they actually hade it) because it was so cold in the morning. I asked the park on X but received radio silence, which was nice of the KI Team to not let consumers know information on where to redeem items that have been bought. 

ICEE was fairly straight forward for me, aside from the straw lol.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

That it is. I was completely fine with the strawless ICEE, but what was irritating was trying to find where to redeem for coffee (yes, they actually hade it) because it was so cold in the morning. I asked the park on X but received radio silence, which was nice of the KI Team to not let consumers know information on where to redeem items that have been bought

ICEE was fairly straight forward for me, aside from the straw lol.

Not food related, but we ran into the same issue with the single use Fast Lane with our Prestige Pass.  There was ZERO communication from the park to passholders, or even the VIP Lounge workers.  We were all scanning at the lounge Friday and were being told to go to Guest Services to get our single use Fast Lane.  A simple, "Now all you have to do is scan your pass at the ride to redeem!!" would have been more than sufficient from the park.  But, I guess the PR team was too busy taking selfies.

My wife and I have decided that this season will be our make or break season as far as if we renew for 2025.  We have been passholders since 2016.  Things are not off to a good start.

But, to get back to food, the park better step up their supply of ICEE, or Guest Services is going to be very busy this season.

• Like 3

Reading all of this and also hearing about @IBEW_Sparky's experience this weekend, it really just screams that there needs to be more training. Absolutely more training. Send a book of SOPs home with employees to study. Heck 

I mean, what is the number one rule of working anywhere? Understanding your product. Having a firm grasp on what you're doing and essentially selling in most cases. Having everyone virtually on the same page is so vital to the guest experience. Not everyone is patient, kind and understanding to an associate who doesn't know or understand what's going on. All they care about is getting an answer to their question or concern and when you drop the coin that a pass holder or day ticket holder does for a day of fun and you're met with "I don't know", not everyone is going to be so understanding. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tr0y said:

Anymore, one should expect the circus to be in town when CF attempts to deliver on a new season pass or add on. 

Adorable as it is predictable. 

Yeah, but in their defense, it’s an unavoidable storm on the horizon. On Friday they ran out of the double stack chicken sandwich, but in their defense, it was tens of thousands of season pass people, with a high percentage having the meal plan, all of which have tried every other item on the menu. I don’t know if there’s a great way to plan for that.

I do agree that the Icee thing was a bit of poor planning and poor communication, but from the looks of it, a lot of the issues were corrected throughout the day on Friday or Saturday.

Rides went down, lines were long, food portions were inconsistent… but name an opening day where this wasn’t the case. As somebody who was admittingly pessimistic over the past year or so, I was pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 10

Reading all of this and also hearing about [mention=4292]IBEW_Sparky[/mention]'s experience this weekend, it really just screams that there needs to be more training. Absolutely more training. Send a book of SOPs home with employees to study. Heck 
I mean, what is the number one rule of working anywhere? Understanding your product. Having a firm grasp on what you're doing and essentially selling in most cases. Having everyone virtually on the same page is so vital to the guest experience. Not everyone is patient, kind and understanding to an associate who doesn't know or understand what's going on. All they care about is getting an answer to their question or concern and when you drop the coin that a pass holder or day ticket holder does for a day of fun and you're met with "I don't know", not everyone is going to be so understanding. 

You have to think that for a lot of people it is the first time putting their training in action. A 16 year old kid probably is told things at training and they don’t listen. I will say they were definetly underprepared for the icee’s, but they appear to have mostly fixed the issue. I know this is said every year, but it is a lot of kids first jobs and getting mad at them is not really the right thing to do.

3 minutes ago, SmartCat7162 said:

You have to think that for a lot of people it is the first time putting their training in action. A 16 year old kid probably is told things at training and they don’t listen. I will say they were definetly underprepared for the icee’s, but they appear to have mostly fixed the issue. I know this is said every year, but it is a lot of kids first jobs and getting mad at them is not really the right thing to do.

Did I mention anything about me personally getting angry? No, I did not. I know there are a lot of kids stepping into their first jobs, but I was speaking in theory of the people who do not care if said associate is taking on their first day at their first job who may not have the forethought to think about that before copping an attitude. 

What I should have highlighted is that team leads/supervisors should be on their game and be able to properly back up their lower tiered associates with the proper info. 

If my Lieutenant was not able to fill in the blanks for me in areas that I am not equipped to handle, that would be a very bad look on my department. I realize a lot of things come into play as things move along, but I also realize that it is up to the leadership to ensure everyone is as well informed as possible and to train as necessary to get everyone on the same page.

That's all I was getting at.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, chad_1138 said:

My wife and I have decided that this season will be our make or break season as far as if we renew for 2025.  We have been passholders since 2016.  Things are not off to a good start.

I'm in the same boat. I cut about half my add-ons this year already. I'm interested to see how things go to make my choices about next year, not to mention it'll probably be when the Six Flags merge changes start popping up. 

I won't say it's a bad start though, preview night in my opinion is more for Employees than Passholders. They leverage the fact we aren't really paying to do a stress test of the park, and it was BUSY. Yet compared to most years surprisingly not terrible. 3.8 röntgen. 

June will be my measurable month.

• Like 1

Happy to report that ICEEs for the Drink Plan are 100% available at the stand next to The French Corner!  The line moves really quickly too.  They have 2 workers.  The first window they scan your pass.  The second window you give your order and pick up your ICEE.  Nice to have more than 3 flavor options!!

• Like 6

The ICEE straw thing is funny to me. It tells you how seldom ICEEs were purchased before the new drink plan plus.

Today was my first visit of the year: Was happy to get some Burnt Ends again and I think they were better than they were in the past because of the smaller pieces with bits of fat mixed in. Went for the mac&cheese with it because I wasn't sure about the fries on offer. 

In the evening, I wasn't very hungry so couldn't eat all of my food at G&G but I was impressed with the honey soy glazed beef. I was expecting a small portion but the girl was carefully counting the pieces and kept adding more. As much as I liked it, I just had no appetite and took most of the food home. The rice was better than what I had in October too. Disappointed that they didn't keep the meatballs that they had back then though. I didn't try the skewers on offer but is it fair to say that G&G is the best asian-styled cuisine in the park? :P

I got a drink at Jukebox. The new setup seems like it will be good for moving people through on busy days...but not so great at getting you fresh items especially on lighter days.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DoomPlague said:

The ICEE straw thing is funny to me. It tells you how seldom ICEEs were purchased before the new drink plan plus.

Quite funny! :)

I was disappointed with the change of menu at Grain and Grill. I only ate the drumsticks and pierogies. The fact that they removed the pierogies made me lose the will to eat there (well the fact that there is nothing else I'd eat there).

2 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Workers at Brewhouse are saying that the grilled chicken sandwich so highly marketed is not going to be available now this year....

Anyone here something similar?

image.png

Have heard that the demand is too much for staff to keep up.

• Like 1