Kings Island 2024 Food Reviews and Discussion

SmartCat7162

This is crazy this year. It’s all over the place. Today - pretty quiet (maybe that’s the secret-when crowds are low you get the A portion-drops to B as attendance increases) got heaping helping of burnt ends at Ciney. Love no portion cuo- makes it look like a real meal. I took off the paper to show how much better all the food would look without the giant flappy aped that falls apart under the food. That was after I ate sone, so it would make their lean portions not look so lost and tiny. The new square plates are so much better than the thin “boats”   Why is this so hard folks? 

IMG_2283.jpeg

IMG_2284.jpeg

• Like 2

Wasn't it stated earlier that Coney BBQ no longer has hush puppies?  And at a cursory glance, @brenthodge, without the paper it appears ( to me) that the portions are meager compared to with it.

I ate at Grain and Grill yesterday and tried the soy beef and garlic potatoes.  The potatoes were quite good and the rest of the sides looked tasty. But, the beef had a chemical taste and I could see lots of blood vessels.  The shrimp looked good, as did the pork, but I don't like shellfish and pork tends to have chunks of fat, so it wasn't for me.  As with Chicken Shack, the tenders looked very small and did not appear hand breaded as advertised, rather they looked like standard Sysco issue elementary school tenders The staff was friendly and efficient there, as always. But I think I will stick with the three side items meal as it never disappoints.

I think Grain and Grill has potential but is still finding it's way.  They advertise locally sourced food on a regional map with a star.  I think they should proudly feature the local sources to the public. Or are they doing what Aramark did with their University of Kentucky contract, which stipulated a certain percentage of food has to be sourced from Kentucky, so Aramark used Coca-Cola as a local source since it's bottled in Lexington.

Also, it's supposed to be International Cuisine and healthier.  What countries do the beef, pork and chicken represent?  The only obvious menu item is that represents an international food is the Greek salad from my viewpoint. The others could be obvious, but without knowing, it's just another food option. And what health benefits come from these options?

Of note, it was the shortest food line in the park with the hoards of school aged children on field trips. Since it's supposed to be "healthy food" they avoid it and go for the more well known foods. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Wasn't it stated earlier that Coney BBQ no longer has hush puppies?  And at a cursory glance, @brenthodge, without the paper it appears ( to me) that the portions are meager compared to with it.

I ate at Grain and Grill yesterday and tried the soy beef and garlic potatoes.  The potatoes were quite good and the rest of the sides looked tasty. But, the beef had a chemical taste and I could see lots of blood vessels.  The shrimp looked good, as did the pork, but I don't like shellfish and pork tends to have chunks of fat, so it wasn't for me.  As with Chicken Shack, the tenders looked very small and did not appear hand breaded as advertised, rather they looked like standard Sysco issue elementary school tenders The staff was friendly and efficient there, as always. But I think I will stick with the three side items meal as it never disappoints.

I think Grain and Grill has potential but is still finding it's way.  They advertise locally sourced food on a regional map with a star.  I think they should proudly feature the local sources to the public. Or are they doing what Aramark did with their University of Kentucky contract, which stipulated a certain percentage of food has to be sourced from Kentucky, so Aramark used Coca-Cola as a local source since it's bottled in Lexington.

Also, it's supposed to be International Cuisine and healthier.  What countries do the beef, pork and chicken represent?  The only obvious menu item is that represents an international food is the Greek salad from my viewpoint. The others could be obvious, but without knowing, it's just another food option. And what health benefits come from these options?

Of note, it was the shortest food line in the park with the hoards of school aged children on field trips. Since it's supposed to be "healthy food" they avoid it and go for the more well known foods. 

They may be out from time to time, but as you can see, I got one yesterday. It was crunchy outside, fluffy inside… perfect. And if you read my original post, the no paper pic was after I ate half of it (making it the size of the portions we’ve seen this year) my before and after should’ve been before I started eating for a true comparison. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

They may be out from time to time, but as you can see, I got one yesterday. It was crunchy outside, fluffy inside… perfect. And if you read my original post, the no paper pic was after I ate half of it (making it the size of the portions we’ve seen this year) my before and after should’ve been before I started eating for a true comparison. 

I agree a no eating pic would have been more representative. If you think of it on your next visit please share.  

• Like 1

Continuing my slow paced rant. 84 degrees out before noon, Rivertown freestyle is closed.

You know what isn't closed? The new boozy bar they built between freestyle and potato.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

Had the coveted grilled chicken sandwich at Jukebox Diner for lunch.

IMG_3413.jpeg

Was it not served with the logo filler paper or did you remove it? Im liking the new plates. Makes it look a wee bit more upscale and the smaller portions stand out more not lost in a flapping sea of logos. Looks good.

1 hour ago, DonHelbig said:

And? 

It was good, the only downside was the limited toppings. No cheese or raw onions everything else, pickles, lettuce and tomatoes were present.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, robintodd said:

Coney BBQ had Baby Back Ribs (back) replacing Burnt Ends tonight.  The signs out front reflected the change as well.

I’ll have to give those a try tomorrow. :)

The Cheesy Mettwurst at Pigpen's Mess Hall is an all beef hotdog topped with a cheese sauce and bacon bits. It is very good and on the dining plan. Probably the best meal I have had this season. I do wish the side portions were not so small. 

Photo_1716565103533.jpg

• Like 2

Not Kings Island BUT we got a 21 and colder at CP, it looks like they have themed drinks so we may get a Banshee berry mixed drink??

(upset that it took away a stand to get cheese on a stick though)

IMG_1472.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

The Cheesy Mettwurst at Pigpen's Mess Hall is an all beef hotdog topped with a cheese sauce and bacon bits. It is very good and on the dining plan. Probably the best meal I have had this season. I do wish the side portions were not so small. 

Photo_1716565103533.jpg

That does look good and the side looks small.  Do they have any healthier sides?  I know it's a kids area, but I'd love to have roasted vegetables as an option.

• Like 2

I tried the s'mores brownie earlier. It was not bad. The brownie was quite dry and I wish it had more of a fudge flavor. There seems to be another ingredient missing that I can't quite figure it out. 5/10. I would not buy it again in its current form. 

Photo_1716589651084.jpg

• Like 1

I personally wish what they would do during peak summer is bring out individual fire pits and sell s'mores kits and allow families to make s'mores as the sun goes down. There's just something special about roasting marshmellows as the sun goes down gearing up for fireworks. Knott's used to do this for Summer Nights, but I believe I heard they stopped doing it fairly recently so I don't think KI would do it, but I think that would be something fun to go along with Camp Snoopy. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Photo_1716565103533.jpg

Cold sides are huge by comparison. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

That does look good and the side looks small.  Do they have any healthier sides?  I know it's a kids area, but I'd love to have roasted vegetables as an option.

Slaw, veggie sticks, potato salad. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

Slaw, veggie sticks, potato salad. 

Cole slaw and potato salad aren't the healthiest of sides. Both contain fatty dressing like mayonnaise and slaw has sugar added.  I doubt the park was looking at healthy ingredients, rather the cheapest options Sysco has.  Veggie sticks...if it's sliced carrots and celery id be on board.

But truthfully, I'm not the target audience, so my opinion doesn't really matter.  I might get the metworst once along with veggie sticks. 

• Like 1

The hot dog and the Ranch potato salad are really good. The potato salad in particular is one of the better tasting sides I've had in the park even if it isn't the healthiest. The red potatoes appear to have been roasted and then mixed into the salad so there is that added dimension of flavor.

20240524_185303.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My only meal at the park yesterday was at Juke Box Diner.....I had the burger and fries which were good. Nothing interested me for a 2nd meal including any of the 3 sides.  Still feel that they are lacking in variety of food items this year.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 11:49 AM, IndyGuy4KI said:

Photo_1716565103533.jpg

My mac n cheese portion was about double yours, the person doing the sides for me was basically doing 1 + 1/2 scoops. It just depends on who is putting together your dish

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Taylor.B03 said:

My mac n cheese portion was about double yours, the person doing the sides for me was basically doing 1 + 1/2 scoops. It just depends on who is putting together your dish

Todays was much better! for me as well.

May be an image of hotdog and text

• Like 2

I got to try Pig Pens Mess hall for the first time today. I got the cheesy met and for the side I went with the Saratoga chips. As others have posted it was  good. :)

IMG_3480.jpeg
**Might I add that the cheese sauce and bacon bits are not up charges. A welcoming change from the norm.

• Like 3

I noticed the French Corner was open for the first time during one of my visits so I dipped in for the muffuletta sandwich and chips.

Out of The Bat, the Cajun chips sucked. Floppy, bland and stale.

The sandwich though was surprisingly good. The olive spread was a bit odd since I thought it would be just an olive or two and I could pick them off, but the spread was so much an afterthought that I couldn't Even taste it any how. It was pretty filling for just a sandwich, and the seasoning really helped out what was basically a cold cut sandwich.

• Like 2