Something is Surfacing 9-19-2024

Woah. Wasn't expecting to wake up to this. I didn't even think of a Vekoma Tilt Coaster for Cedar Point's next ground up large coaster after Steel Vengeance. As others have said, the capacity is a bit worrying with only 2 trains, but otherwise this looks awesome. The story behind this ride is also a bit crazy if the rumors this went from Energylandia to Six Flags Mexico before finally ending up at Cedar Point. Though that has happened even to some of Kings Island's coasters (Orion originally supposed to go to California's Great America comes to mind). And it's a rare model- before 2025, only Gravity Max existed and that was in Taiwan, though 3 of them are looking to open in 2025. So Tilt Coasters are going from just one, to four, in a single year.

2025 is also looking very stacked for new coasters: this, Rapterra, AlpenFury, Wrath of Rakshasa, everything at Epic Universe, and the delayed 2024 rides all coming at once (plus you could maybe even still count Top Thrill 2!) is gonna be pretty darn crazy IMO.

• Like 1

Imo since Cedar Point is getting a new coaster in 25 as well as Canada's Wonderland, KD, SFGA, SFGAdv, SFOG, and SFNE opening up new coasters in 25, I personally believe the chance for 2026 being KI's year to replace Vortex is going up! Other parks I think are on the radar for 26 are Valleyfair, Carowinds, SFMM, Knotts, and SFOT. However, I could see some of those being held off until 27.  

• Like 2

Just wanted to chime in, after seeing some disappointment that this addition didn't come to KI instead.

Gonna be 100% my personal thoughts here, is even if KI was offered the opportunity to have this addition, they may have denied it. The tilt feature looks like a ton of maintenance cost lol

38 minutes ago, Bwb.32 said:

Just wanted to chime in, after seeing some disappointment that this addition didn't come to KI instead.

Gonna be 100% my personal thoughts here, is even if KI was offered the opportunity to have this addition, they may have denied it. The tilt feature looks like a ton of maintenance cost lol

I believe KI's 2025 capital was already planned well before this even became on Cedar Point's radar as it was originally intended for Six Flags Mexico. I honestly would consider this addition Cedar Point's "Firehawk" where they got it last minute kinda like how KI got Firehawk last minute.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

Based on the renders, the FL queue ("que" is Spanish for "that") bypasses the standby queue and merges at the station. Though hopefully they will throttle the FL queue substantially so as to minimize the pain due to the ride's apparent low capacity.

Crazy question, if that is Fast Lane, where is the exit?  Because the renderings show low to the ground track directly behind the station.  With the parking lot, road, and Valravn, would it even be possible to exit anywhere but back to the midway?

I might be wrong but I think that second concrete path is the rides exit, and there is no Fast Lane.

1 hour ago, DoomPlague said:

Looks like they're going to divert Perimeter Road for this.

It's an odd/bad fit for the park, for sure but I'll gladly ride it. I'm also going to agree with those that think this is a last minute addition to make up for 2024. 

It’s not necessarily just because of 2024, it is all cause the ride was unable to be built in Mexico. But yes very last minute addition for sure.

• Like 1

I know this coaster wasn't originally intended for Cedar Point, but looking back to the surveys Cedar Fair put out a few months back, I did find it strange that Cedar Point was the only park that had the Tilt Coaster as an option on their survey (Kings Island and Carowinds did not have Tilt Coasters on their surveys). It makes me wonder if there were talks of bringing this coaster to Cedar Point back then.

surveytilt.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

OK first of all, call me a Vekoma-fan boi all you want, but I am STOKED to see a larger scale new age Vekoma make its way state side. Even if it was meant to go somewhere else, I could care less. I LOVE the theming. I've been enjoying the darker-omen type theming and names that Cedar Fair has been going with. Really can't wait to see what merch they come out with for this one. 

I will say that it does feel just a tad overwhelming that they had TT2 purposed to open this year and it fell incredibly short of that expectation and will essentially still be a brand new ride for next year seeing as only a handful of people in the grand scheme of things were able to ride it this year. It will be interesting to see how they market the coasters next year seeing as they will have essentially TWO new headliners for 2025 so long as TT2 gets it s*** together. 

The lower capacity will absolutely be a nightmare, lets be real. This isn't a capacity monster by any stretch of the word and CP's ops have been dismal the last few years so I don't hold out any hope that lines will move quickly. I also wonder if FL+ will have its own que or if they will in typical CP fashion with most of their coasters have it bypass 3/4 of the line just to merge with the main standby line. 

Regardless, there are absolutely no complaints here from me. This looks like a fantastically fun ride with incredible theming and I am here for it. I feel like a little kid on Christmas morning waking up to this announcement!

Now this makes me feel like the possibility of a Vekoma looper taking Vortex's plot is more possible. I know this really doesn't indicate anything, but since CF is actively working with Vekoma it makes me hopeful that KI's next big coaster could be one of their incredible new loopers. 

Personally I think this lowers our chances of a modern Vekoma thrill coaster in The Vortex plot, at least for a while. Kings Island is not going to debut a new coaster one or two years after Cedar Point got a model that will ride the same and feel almost the same. It’s like if Cedar Point built GateKeeper in 2013 and in 2014 Kings Island built a wing coaster. The park was actually looking into a wing coaster for 2014 but since Cedar Point was getting GateKeeper they decided on an invert. I do believe this makes 2026 our year with Cedar Point getting back to back major coasters and the parks not liking to do major additions in the same year. I think the park is saving The Vortex plot for something special and I can’t wait to see what it is in the future. I do think the park is going to have to get very creative with our next coaster. Should be very interesting.

People who are complaining about the color...I think it fits into the theme of the shipping tower.  The track looks more rust color than red to me, but that is subjective.  Or it could be red if that was intended for the original two parks and they don't want to paint a brand new coaster. I honestly don't know the answer.

I agree The Vortex spot deserves a unique layout but I also think it stings to see CP get so much coaster investment while KI gets SSBR. I'm going to be blowing up on these forums though if CP gets a new coaster in the Snake River Falls plot for 2026 and they still haven't addressed The Vortex spot at KI

As for this possibly being a six flags Mexico project, why is CP the one benefiting from it? There's literally 40+ parks in the new combined chain and you can't tell me that CP was the ONLY park with unoccupied flat land available. They gave it to CP because they want to distract from the TT2 disaster and it's the most visited/highly profitable park in the chain since wonderland attendance has dropped. 

Despite my criticism, I think the ride will be fun, I love seeing another unique coaster within driving distance of Cincinnati and I think CP needs a comeback after the abysmal TT2 situation which was a huge bust and disappointment to many people. If they can distract everyone with siren's curse they can take all the time they need to figure out TT2 and get it operational without pressure from the pass holders and enthusiasts. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

I agree The Vortex spot deserves a unique layout but I also think it stings to see CP get so much coaster investment while KI gets SSBR. I'm going to be blowing up on these forums though if CP gets a new coaster in the Snake River Falls plot for 2026 and they still haven't addressed The Vortex spot at KI

As for this possibly being a six flags Mexico project, why is CP the one benefiting from it? There's literally 40+ parks in the new combined chain and you can't tell me that CP was the ONLY park with unoccupied flat land available. They gave it to CP because they want to distract from the TT2 disaster and it's the most visited/highly profitable park in the chain since wonderland attendance has dropped. 

Despite my criticism, I think the ride will be fun, I love seeing another unique coaster within driving distance of Cincinnati and I think CP needs a comeback after the abysmal TT2 situation which was a huge bust and disappointment to many people. If they can distract everyone with siren's curse they can take all the time they need to figure out TT2 and get it operational without pressure from the pass holders and enthusiasts. 

I think you hit LOTS of nails on their head with this response. 

• Like 2

Personally I’m happy Kings Island didn’t get this. I’d rather get something ground up that was designed specifically for our park as opposed to getting a relocated project- especially if it’s to replace something as iconic as Vortex.

With 40+ properties to maintain and life being unpredictable, it’s likely that a project might be diverted to fit another park…Heck it’s already happened with Cedar Fair pre merger: CP got the Dive coaster project in 2016 instead of CWL and built Valravn, KI got the B&M project intended for CGA and built Orion. 

This will more than likely happen again down the road.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Captain Nemo said:

It should also be noted that the trains will feature on board audio and lighting! I had wondered when CP would get a train with lights and it’s finally happening. 

IMG_4196.png

I hope that with getting this last minute coaster that they add some theming to make it more unique to CP. 

More parks will add coasters like this down the road so it’s always good to add theming to help us stand out.

2 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Personally I’m happy Kings Island didn’t get this. I’d rather get something ground up that was designed specifically for our park as opposed to getting a relocated project- especially if it’s to replace something as iconic as Vortex.

With 40+ properties to maintain and life being unpredictable, it’s likely that a project might be diverted to fit another park…Heck it’s already happened with Cedar Fair pre merger: CP got the Dive coaster project in 2016 instead of CWL and built Valravn, KI got the B&M project intended for CGA and built Orion. 

This will more than likely happen again down the road.

I've heard but can't verify an interesting example of this from the Taft days. 

Adventure Express was slated to go to Kings Dominion and The bobsled coaster was supposed to go to Kings Island.

It makes sense, because the area where the bobsled coaster is has always had a "jungle" theme, and the area where Adventure Express is would be more fitting to the bobsled/Oktoberfest.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

I've heard but can't verify an interesting example of this from the Taft days. 

Adventure Express was slated to go to Kings Dominion and The bobsled coaster was supposed to go to Kings Island.

It makes sense, because the area where the bobsled coaster is has always had a "jungle" theme, and the area where Adventure Express is would be more fitting to the bobsled/Oktoberfest.

That’s right!

Down the road, there might be a project that’s in the works for Six Flags Great Adventure but might make more sense at Carowinds. There might be money budgeted for Valleyfair and Michigan’s Adventure improvements that might be redirected towards Fiesta Texas, and so on and so forth.

I think this new, larger chain presents an interesting opportunity to see how corporate will move assets and money around to where it might make sense at the time- like giving CP a relocated coaster to makeup for Top Thrill Dragster/Top Thrill 2s downtime.

17 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Hopefully, SIX gets Vekoma to build this faster than Flash at NJFTP. 

I don't think Vekoma builds the coasters. They design and provide the support. The park hires all the work out. So Six Flags probably would go with longer timelines to get projects open to spread the money out over a longer time period.

4 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

It should also be noted that the trains will feature on board audio and lighting! I had wondered when CP would get a train with lights and it’s finally happening. 

The park already has a coaster with onboard lighting, GateKeeper.  There are lights on both sides of every row, and the eyes on the front of the train.