Days of thunder

DanielRadsgrl

1 hour ago, beastfan11 said:

There was also, for a short time, and Indiana Jones knock off. “Secrets of the Lost Temple.” I enjoyed that one quite a bit. Wish that space was in use still. We need more dark ride/indoor attractions! 

I want to say the very last show I saw there was a Dinosaur themed show but the moving seats were removed.

• Like 1

So did Action Theater simply not bring the crowds in anymore after Spongebob or maintenance or? I realize it was not exactly super unique experience per se, but it did offer some relief from a hot summer's day and it was something to mix up a trip besides coasters and flat rides. 

I have faint memories of DoT and lots of memories of Spongebob. I feel like there wasn't much else after. I do remember some in-house film made for Fear Fear not long after SB left, but that's about all I remember. 

Wasn't the Dinosaurs Alive! film an upcharge at first?  I think that may have delt a blow to its popularity.  I know Spongebob did start to lose popularity its last few years, but it was also left there for an eternity compared to the previous films before ending its run. 

All is the shows are listed on the Action Theater page here: https://KICentral.com/parkhistory/past-attractions/action-theater/
Taken last year at Coasterstock. There was a door or curtain down and you could see in there. 
PXL_20230519_203423566.thumb.jpg.81d28bf0302c7da191cd5a9babb2ebcd.jpg
Those seats bring back memories. I worked Action Theater in 2000 and 2001.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

• Like 5

10 hours ago, silver2005 said:

Wasn't the Dinosaurs Alive! film an upcharge at first?  I think that may have delt a blow to its popularity.  I know Spongebob did start to lose popularity its last few years, but it was also left there for an eternity compared to the previous films before ending its run. 

It was free when I saw it in 2011 I believe, does anybody remember when both theaters were operating at the same time as well as the mini-arcade at the exit?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

All is the shows are listed on the Action Theater page here: https://KICentral.com/parkhistory/past-attractions/action-theater/

Taken last year at Coasterstock. There was a door or curtain down and you could see in there. 

PXL_20230519_203423566.jpg

Ah. This photo is kinda eerie. Seeing what used to be a cool attraction now sitting and collecting dust amongst the props. Sad. 

• Like 1

I'm sure someone from Tech Services can chip in here, but Action Theatre was a pretty high cost attraction.

The seats have a lot of hydraulic moving parts and they would break down fairly often.

Also, when I was there in 2004, the projector was still film.  Occasionally the film would break or burn out and they had to splice the film back together.

The main reason it still stands is probably the workshop for Tech Services underneath, which basically handles all of the speaker and microphones in the park.

On 1/21/2024 at 5:38 PM, beastfan11 said:

There was also, for a short time, and Indiana Jones knock off. “Secrets of the Lost Temple.” I enjoyed that one quite a bit. Wish that space was in use still. We need more dark ride/indoor attractions! 

Around which years was that show around around for?

I remember the Days of Thunder. It did have both theaters going at the time if I remember correctly. It was a nice way to get out of the summer sun for awhile too.

The ride itself was really fun! A bit jerky at times going back and forth, but still a good time. Not sure how I would handle now though. I rode Star Tours at Disney a few years back and almost got sick from it. Maybe it was due to it being in a smaller room, but wow I had to take it easy awhile after. Equilibrium isn't what it used to be I guess. Ha!

1 hour ago, Gordon Bombay said:

Is 7th Portal technically in the MCU?

Unfortunately, no, it's not a Marvel property even.  Closer to an Amalgam comic type than anything else.

While looking this up, I had no idea it was actually a web series.

8 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

I distinctly remember looking it up as a kid after riding the ride and never being able to get the QuickTime videos to play. Figured I hadn’t missed much once movie was gone from AT. 

On 1/24/2024 at 3:34 PM, teenageninja said:

Unfortunately, no, it's not a Marvel property even.  Closer to an Amalgam comic type than anything else.

They were WEBISODES!  Stan the man said so. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Kings Island...no probably not. Six? Maybe.

It would be interesting and for those new to KI, the theater would be a "new" attraction. Probably would require extensive construction and new mechanics/hydraulics and such. But it would be awesome to see a resurgence. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

It would be interesting and for those new to KI, the theater would be a "new" attraction. Probably would require extensive construction and new mechanics/hydraulics and such. But it would be awesome to see a resurgence. 

I agree hopefully they'll do this before the 2030s.

On 1/26/2024 at 2:12 PM, DJSkyFoxx said:

What could you possibly put in there without going into copyright stuff? I do miss Days of Thunder, but now in days, people might be lost with that movie. Maybe they could call it The NASCAR experience.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shawn Meyer said:

What could you possibly put in there without going into copyright stuff? I do miss Days of Thunder, but now in days, people might be lost with that movie. Maybe they could call it The NASCAR experience.

Maybe a Snoopy "Flying Ace" experience? 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, kingsislandfan1972 said:

I like that idea also how about a Kings Island ride like Soarin at Disney World? I think that would actually be pretty cool.

I did the SkyFly: Soar America in Pigeon Forge at The Island. Overall it was a neat experience, but I don't think I'll ever do it again.

• Like 1