Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

Not really sure how likely it is, but I started to think how a Vekoma tilt coaster would fit in The Vortex plot. In my opinion, a tilt coaster akin to Circuit Breaker at COTAland seems like it would be a great alternative to a B&M Dive and would provide a spectacle to see throughout the park. Seeing how much a coaster like Gravity Maxx has gained notoriety throughout social media, I do think a coaster of this type would be immensely popular and would bring a ton of people to the park.

Personally my #1 pick for that land would still have to be a mack extreme spinner, but I wouldn't mind a vekoma either if Cedar Fair wanted to save some money on the investment. I know Cedar Fair hasn't worked with Vekoma lately, but I do think we'll see them work with each other at some point given how Cedar Fair has been experimenting with different coaster manufacturers lately.

• Like 4

I personally think they will push off The Vortex plot even longer. There's been no hurry to fill it thus far and I don't think they will be in a hurry in the future either. I personally think we see a Soak City addition next year or perhaps a boo blaster revamp/new dark ride in crypt building come to fruition in 2025. I could definitely see them holding off until 2027 or 2028 before filling the hole left by Vortex 

• Like 2

I have an idea from a Mack based ride currently being built.  

Europa Park in Germany is building Voltron, a multi-launch 7 inversion Mack with a launch as part of one of the inversions and a relatively compact layout, at least something in the realm that could fit in The Vortex field.

https://rcdb.com/7121.htm

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It's a rough sketch, but I came up with this concept of a B&M Surf Coaster named "Moonwalker". The main theme of this ride would revolve around an early 20th century experiment to test how it would feel to walk on the moon. The inspiration I had for this theme mainly came from the standing airtime you get on a Surf Coaster like Pipeline at SWO, making it feel like you're hopping in a low gravity environment. I also included the early 20th century "Art Deco"-inspired theming to help it fit in with the early 20th century theme already present within Coney Mall.

KIMoonwalker.png

• Like 8

1 hour ago, WoodVengeance said:

It's a rough sketch, but I came up with this concept of a B&M Surf Coaster named "Moonwalker". The main theme of this ride would revolve around an early 20th century experiment to test how it would feel to walk on the moon. The inspiration I had for this theme mainly came from the standing airtime you get on a Surf Coaster like Pipeline at SWO, making it feel like you're hopping in a low gravity environment. I also included the early 20th century "Art Deco"-inspired theming to help it fit in with the early 20th century theme already present within Coney Mall.

KIMoonwalker.png

That's awesome!  But I think it is more fitting to area 72. 

• Like 2

KIMoonwalker.png

Nice job! 

• Like 13

I'm still hoping for an RMC RAPTOR (single rail) coaster there.  Like Jersey Devil, etc.  Fun ride, nice compact layout, and a massive "line eater" since it never stops moving even in the station!! Super cool.

Anyone have any idea why Cedar Fair only has ONE rmc raptor in all their parks?? (California's Great America).

6 hours ago, Driver8rws said:

I'm still hoping for an RMC RAPTOR (single rail) coaster there.  Like Jersey Devil, etc.  Fun ride, nice compact layout, and a massive "line eater" since it never stops moving even in the station!! Super cool.

Anyone have any idea why Cedar Fair only has ONE rmc raptor in all their parks?? (California's Great America).

I hear that the raptors do not age well. In fact I’ve hear rumors that Railblazer may be in danger when the park closes because all of the refurbishment they would have to do on the ride. The coasters tear themselves apart and don’t deliver the best capacity for big parks.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Driver8rws said:

Cedar Fair doesn't allow their wild mouse coasters to move in the station, there's no way they'll allow that on RMC Raptors either. 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

Dorney's, Carowinds', Kings Dominion's, and MIA's mice all stop and stack in the station though. 

Maybe that is operational issues or guest issues causing that but they are allowed to unload/load while moving and you simply haven't experienced it?  Or maybe an older design with different manufacturer recommendations.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

It's my understanding that Trailblazer does or did do continuous loading without a stop.

Does it? I heard that was a feature included on Wonder Woman Golden Lasso, but it wasn't included for Railblazer.

Regardless, given Cedar Fair's history with RMC, as well as the maintenance/capacity issues that come with single rail coasters, I highly doubt we'll see one built at Kings Island.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Does it? I heard that was a feature included on Wonder Woman Golden Lasso, but it wasn't included for Railblazer.

Regardless, given Cedar Fair's history with RMC, as well as the maintenance/capacity issues that come with single rail coasters, I highly doubt we'll see one built at Kings Island.

Correct. Railblazer operates without a moving trains in the station.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if the concept has been discussed prior to this, but what do you guys think about the eccentric idea of using TRTR's building as a station for whatever may come to inhabit the old Vortex plot? I know it seems bizarre, but it would really kill two birds with one stone while not interfering too much with The Beast. What do you all think?

avant garde concept vortex replacement.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CorkscrewMcPuke said:

Not sure if the concept has been discussed prior to this, but what do you guys think about the eccentric idea of using TRTR's building as a station for whatever may come to inhabit the old Vortex plot? I know it seems bizarre, but it would really kill two birds with one stone while not interfering too much with The Beast. What do you all think?

avant garde concept vortex replacement.png

Definitely an interesting approach and would be neat going under that lift hill to get to Beast. Given the amount of land Kings Island has, however, I feel like it would make more sense for future additions in The Vortex plot and TR:TR/Crypt building to be separate, as I feel whatever goes in Vortex's plot should be added as a Coney Mall addition to really round out that section of the park.

That's not to say I think a coaster using the TR:TR/Crypt building wouldn't work. Seeing how Seaworld Orlando is building Penguin Trek for next year, which utilizes a former ride building to have an indoor and outdoor ride experience, I could see something like that also being done with the TR:TR/Crypt building in the future whenever Kings Island decides to focus its attention towards Rivertown again. Not saying I would want it being the same model as Penguin Trek (A B&M family launch coaster), but some sort of coaster using a similar indoor/outdoor ride concept would be nice to see there. Not sure if it would really fit the theme of Rivertown as much, but they could also theme this ride to Phantom Theater and knock out two birds with one stone.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WoodVengeance said:

Definitely an interesting approach and would be neat going under that lift hill to get to Beast. Given the amount of land Kings Island has, however, I feel like it would make more sense for future additions in The Vortex plot and TR:TR/Crypt building to be separate, as I feel whatever goes in Vortex's plot should be added as a Coney Mall addition to really round out that section of the park.

That's not to say I think a coaster using the TR:TR/Crypt building wouldn't work. Seeing how Seaworld Orlando is building Penguin Trek for next year, which utilizes a former ride building to have an indoor and outdoor ride experience, I could see something like that also being done with the TR:TR/Crypt building in the future whenever Kings Island decides to focus its attention towards Rivertown again. Not saying I would want it being the same model as Penguin Trek (A B&M family launch coaster), but some sort of coaster using a similar indoor/outdoor ride concept would be nice to see there. Not sure if it would really fit the theme of Rivertown as much, but they could also theme this ride to Phantom Theater and knock out two birds with one stone.

I think what really appeals to me about having an indoor station is that the queue would be air conditioned. That is such a marvelous thing in July and August.

• Like 1

I really look forward to that section of the park having more life brought back to it again. Not that Coney Mall feels completely dead per se, but removing Vortex created a large void in more ways than one. It will just be nice to see something else occupy that space and really revive that back area. Just hoping it somehow leaves a respectful nod to Vortex and it would also be cool if it somehow had some tie in to the original Bat. Not sure how that would work but that plot of land holds some important history.  Even if the ride theme itself is something completely different, a Vortex/original Bat marker would be cool to have tied into the que ala SoB in Banshee's que. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

Just hoping it somehow leaves a respectful nod to Vortex and it would also be cool if it somehow had some tie in to the original Bat. Not sure how that would work but that plot of land holds some important history.  Even if the ride theme itself is something completely different, a Vortex/original Bat marker would be cool to have tied into the que ala SoB in Banshee's que. 

Don't give them ideas!  They may remove The Bat 2.0 and build a giant Coke marketplace and restroom on The Vortex plot. The Bat side is The Bat's Den. Restroom side features squat toilets like they have on Filipino trains.  It will be called The Abyss of The Vortex.

(Coke marketplace jokingly stolen from the Tower Topics podcast)

8 minutes ago, BeeastFarmer said:

Don't give them ideas!  They may remove The Bat 2.0 and build a giant Coke marketplace and restroom on The Vortex plot. The Bat side is The Bat's Den. Restroom side features squat toilets like they have on Filipino trains.  It will be called The Abyss of The Vortex.

(Coke marketplace jokingly stolen from the Tower Topics podcast)

IMG_3643.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1