Discussing Land and Space in and around Vortex

Klabergian Empire

One thing I hope happens with The Vortex replacement is using a similar path interaction that Vortex's batwing had with its proximity to the path.   Put a giant dive loop, Immelman, or cobra roll there.  

• Like 3

I think if a high capacity Infinity coaster comed to Kings Island, it should go in Action Zone.  It would be great on the skyline, especially with a pop out lighting package. If this coaster was in The Vortex plot, they would likely put the same lighting package on, and this would further erode The Beast ambiance.

• Like 3

On 8/2/2024 at 9:48 PM, DiamondbackFan said:

One of the concepts in the passholder survey was to use The Vortex land to extend The Beast and create The Beast 2.0.

https://old.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/1eiqazj/passholder_survey_at_kings_island_shows_a_concept/

spacer.png

spacer.png

Instead of adding 2640ft of track to The Beast, maybe they can instead add 2000ft of track to Orion. The shortest “giga” in the world. :P

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

Instead of adding 2640ft of track to The Beast, maybe they can instead add 2000ft of track to Orion.

I always had this wish that they did add some bunny hills at the end of Orion which would’ve extended the break run further back and would cost them more $$ than it’s worth to appease us enthusiasts.

• Like 1

I have two recent thoughts regarding our next major coaster.

1) Is Kings Island going to care that much about capacity for our next coaster? I know capacity has been prioritized with past major additions and I definitely would prefer it if the park continued to do that. However, we just saw that Canada's Wonderland is only putting two 18-person trains on their new-for-2025 coaster, and that park gets even more crowded than Kings Island from what I've seen. If Canada's Wonderland is willing to "skimp-out" on capacity for their new coaster, who's to say Kings Island won't do the same for whatever comes next?

2) Also paying attention to the other parks in the chain, it seems that the chain no longer does in-person announcements for any of their major new coasters. Top Thrill 2, Iron Menace, Rapterra and AlpenFury all had online announcements that were posted early in the morning, and I expect this will be a thing going forward for the foreseeable future. I know it's not the biggest deal in the world, but seeing this type of atmosphere whenever Kings Island announced a new coaster is something I looked forward to with each "decoding season" I've been involved with, and I feel a lot of charm and personality is really lost when they just post whatever it is online.

• Like 4

17 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

I flipped Wrath of Rakshasa and it looks like it would be a perfect fit for The Vortex land. Yes I enhanced the color of the supports to reflect Vortex orange.

IMG_0118.jpeg

While I'm actually very excited to ride Wrath of Rakshasa next year, I hope we do not get a clone of a coaster that is 5 hours away. I do think it's very possible we get a dive coaster because they seem to be a hot market item right now but I'm hoping for something else for the sake of coaster diversity and just having a new ride that is going to be special. The plot of land we're talking about was home to the original arrow suspended coaster and then to a record breaking arrow looper which became an iconic ride at the park. We need something else that is just totally different from what anyone else within a 5 hour drive already has. My #1 pick is of course an extreme spinner like time traveler at SDC but I also think there's a possibility that our next coaster comes from Vekoma. If the park is happy with the job they did with SSBR, they might very well sign on for a vekoma thrill coaster. I'd love to see a next gen Vekoma coaster in The Vortex plot...it would be a pipe dream but a Vekoma launched flying coaster like F.L.Y. at Phantasialand be mind-blowing!!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

While I'm actually very excited to ride Wrath of Rakshasa next year, I hope we do not get a clone of a coaster that is 5 hours away. I do think it's very possible we get a dive coaster because they seem to be a hot market item right now but I'm hoping for something else for the sake of coaster diversity and just having a new ride that is going to be special.

If we got a dive, I don’t think it would be a clone. Terrain is a big factor at our park and assuming it would go where Vortex, I’d like to think it would be terrain. We’re missing a traditional looper from our lineup and I think a mini dive would be a good replacement. I’m not super stoked about a launch coaster next, even if it has a traditional looping layout, because I just think of maintenance and downtime cs a traditional lift.

A KI mini dive in Vortex’s spot could easily feature 6 inversions and a decent drop. 90+ degree drops are a great thing to market. GP would eat it up.

Also if you think about it, it’s a lot harder to clone a terrain coaster which is what makes most of KI’s rides unique.

14 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

If we got a dive, I don’t think it would be a clone. Terrain is a big factor at our park and assuming it would go where Vortex, I’d like to think it would be terrain. We’re missing a traditional looper from our lineup and I think a mini dive would be a good replacement. I’m not super stoked about a launch coaster next, even if it has a traditional looping layout, because I just think of maintenance and downtime cs a traditional lift.

A KI mini dive in Vortex’s spot could easily feature 6 inversions and a decent drop. 90+ degree drops are a great thing to market. GP would eat it up.

Also if you think about it, it’s a lot harder to clone a terrain coaster which is what makes most of KI’s rides unique.

It also helps that Kings Island currently does not have a coaster with a vertical or beyond-vertical drop. (Orion is the steepest drop in the park at 85 degrees) That makes it easy to market as "Kings Island's first and only beyond-vertical drop coaster". However, I would prefer if we got a different model as I don't really think the park needs another B&M at the moment. A Gerstlauer Infinity like Hangtime or Vekoma Tilt could work well as a coaster that holds you over the first drop and features a lot of inversions in the layout.

• Like 2

I want Kings Island to get a coaster / ride that provides the best experience for the money.

Im done answering surveys of what coaster models and types I want only to be given the Diet Coke version of those coasters.

I want to be wowed by a coaster that isn’t even on the radar.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Tr0y said:

I want Kings Island to get a coaster / ride that provides the best experience for the money.

Im done answering surveys of what coaster models and types I want only to be given the Diet Coke version of those coasters.

I want to be wowed by a coaster that isn’t even on the radar.

How about the Coke Zero version?

Definitely not the Big K version though.

25 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

You’re a quasi coaster

You’re the margarine of a coaster

You’re the Diet Coke of coasters

-Dr. Evil probably

Dr Evil describing Orion in a nutshell. :P

Look. I am always grateful for the new things we get. From flats to slides and everything above and in between. However, I really reallllllyyyy hope that a dive machine ISN'T our next coaster. I don't have anything against them as they do give a fun experience, but I really want to see something special go in The Vortex plot. That land has had two significant slices of coaster history upon it and I would really love to see something amazing there. I've said it a thousand and one times, please please please let it be some kickin' next gen Vekoma looper! It would be something new, fresh and a nod to the past. I'm not against a dive machine elsewhere in the park, I just want to see something different take the stage where Vortex sat. 

I realize my dream RMC-SoB 2.0 will likely remain just that, a dream. But if anything else were to be miraculously placed where the rebellious son's station still sits ( and I am in no way assuming that the station can still be utilized-a new one could take its place ) a dive machine interacting with Banshee could be cool and it would use up the remaining plot of land that SoB occupied. Just a thought.

• Like 5

I agree, the empty space that the former Bat and Vortex previously occupied is worthy of another iconic landmark and worthy coaster. 

The original Bat wasn't the fastest coaster around, but it was blast to ride while it lasted. Vortex was a stunning looking coaster and fit that spot perfectly, and a solid ride. My hope is that the powers that be install something in that spot worthy of its predecessors.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to make a 10 inversion infinity coaster concept for The Vortex plot. This coaster would feature a launch and a vertical lift hill. The beyond vertical drop would become the steepest drop in Ohio at 97 degrees (beating out Maverick by 2 degrees). It also in typical KI fashion would use the terrain to its advantage and the drop would be roughly where Vortex's drop was. The ride would be split up in half with 5 inversions in each half. The first half starts with a launch that takes you into a cobra roll, then a banana roll, a camelback airtime hill, and then a corkscrew into a little airtime pop into the first set of brakes that takes you to the giant vertical lift. The drop will feature a hold like what Hangtime and Takabisha have and it would be angled perfectly giving riders a fantastic view of the park. Then after the 97 degree drop you go into a giant sea serpent roll and then go into a massive zero g stall, then after that you go into a batwing element paying homage to the iconic batwing on Vortex placed in the same exact spot allowing for awesome photo opportunities and then after that you go into a helix and then an airtime pop into the brakes. The theming of this ride would be a similar theme to Hangtime at Knott's with a surfing/50's style theme and would go well with Antique Autos, Jukebox Diner, Shake, Rattle, and Roll, and Backlot Stunt Coaster in the surrounding area. The finishing touch on this ride would be a KCL Enginneering lighting package that would really make this back side of Coney Mall really pop at night and would be programmed into the nightly firework show and during special events (ie Haunt and Winterfest it would also feature special synced up light shows at night). I give you all: Hang 10!!'

KI infinity coaster concept.png

• Like 5