Kings Dominion Rumored to get 2021 Wing coaster

16 minutes ago, DiamondbackFan said:

Looking at the supports, it is clear that Kings Dominion is not getting the Six Flags model.  The four  \|/ shaped supports that get bolted to the foundation are not there.  We don't know if this coaster is the same model as Adventureland Park or not.

https://twitter.com/KDFansOnline/status/1335308941694291968

Six Flags model:

spacer.png

Dragon Slayer at Adventureland Park:

spacer.png

It’s not any one of those. The track transitions are shallower, with the track pieces of the Adventureland model, so it’ll be similar to the one at World Fairytale Land.

• 3 years later...

It's hard to see in those photos, but some other parts around the staging area suggest gunpowder black supports so far (could be wrong, but nothing else to go by currently). 

I was initially guessing they'd go for Volcano's color scheme to pay homage to it and use a volcano theme again with how beloved that ride was. 

Now I'm imagining they still had the volcano structure and then have a wing coaster do a bunch of the near miss inversions through it.  

• Like 2

On 6/3/2024 at 10:54 PM, Taylor.B03 said:

The Baja Blast green looks really nice!

Don't give them any ideas. This ride might end up with a Mt. Dew Baja Blast wrap and then some spiel about being "sponsored by Mt. Dew Baja Blast" :lol:

On a more serious note, it is a really nice color and my fiancé and I plan to make a trip next year to experience KD!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, DispatchMaster said:

I wouldn't necessarily call that "confirmed", since it's based on leaked plans and contains educated guesses based on those plans.

It’s based on blueprints that were filed with the local government, so I don’t know how much more official it can get other than once it’s announced. 

• Like 2

I'm glad to see a new coaster for KD! Such a great park and they really do not a replacement for volcano. Love the color scheme and the layout looks pretty solid too. It's also been a bit since the chain added a winged coaster and there isn't anything else like that in the VA amusement park market. Will definitely be going back down there next year! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

...once it’s announced. 

Right, an announcement would be confirmation. Everything else so far, as indicated in the KDFans post, is informed speculation. Very highly informed, and well analyzed, but still not confirmation by the park. There's a difference.

The following reporting is based upon actively in-development plans. Subsequent revisions could change many of the details described below. The following should be viewed as a description of what Kings Dominion is likely, currently planning to construct in 2025—not as an infallible depiction of what Kings Dominion will construct.

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

I'm also thinking we'll see a Project 305 re-theme next year as well.  

Oh, wow, I didn’t realize the “Intimidator” themes were gone. What do you think the the re-theme of KD’s will be? Something akin to the jungle area?

EDIT: Just looked it up on Google Maps and I’m not familiar with that park’s layout. Is Flight of Fear its own area like X-Base, or, like… what’s going on there? 

^Flight of Fear is essentially part of that area of the park.  The joke among enthusiasts was it was an amalgamation of the different rides when you have Flight of Fear, Volcano, Avalanche, I-305, Anaconda, Backlot and Crypt in the same area.  I went last year and it seemed more cohesive with the retheme of Avalanche and the new 4D coaster.  The new wing coaster is going in the old Volcano plot which is kind of close to the path to P305.  I would suspect a jungle-esque theme for P305 with it being by the new ride and Anaconda. 

I wish their Flight of Fear would be rethemed as well. 

• Like 1

I think they could do something like KI did with area 72 at KD with the end cap that FoF and Intimidator 305 are on. It would be kind of strange to me to see them both incorporated into jungle Expedition but I'm sure they could do it. Naming is really key though because a tacky name just sounds stupid when you are renaming a coaster. For example was anyone in love with Top Thrill 2 compared to Top Thrill Dragster? How about Intimidator at Carowinds being renamed to Thunder Striker when you already have copperhead strike in the same park? (Names were too similar in my opinion). Top Gun at Kings Island becoming Flight Deck? (Obviously remedied by renaming to The Bat in 2014). 

Regardless of what they decide to do, I-305 or whatever it's new name becomes is still my favorite rollercoaster I've ever ridden and I really really want to get back down to KD next year to ride the new winged coaster and to lap I-305 again! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, johnjniehaus said:

I think they could do something like KI did with area 72 at KD with the end cap that FoF and Intimidator 305 are on. It would be kind of strange to me to see them both incorporated into jungle Expedition but I'm sure they could do it. Naming is really key though because a tacky name just sounds stupid when you are renaming a coaster. For example was anyone in love with Top Thrill 2 compared to Top Thrill Dragster? How about Intimidator at Carowinds being renamed to Thunder Striker when you already have copperhead strike in the same park? (Names were too similar in my opinion). Top Gun at Kings Island becoming Flight Deck? (Obviously remedied by renaming to The Bat in 2014). 

Regardless of what they decide to do, I-305 or whatever it's new name becomes is still my favorite rollercoaster I've ever ridden and I really really want to get back down to KD next year to ride the new winged coaster and to lap I-305 again! 

For what it's worth, The Project 305 sign has a leopard pattern on it. If that's a tease for the final retheme of I305/P305, then it will likely have a leopard or other exotic cat theme.

For Flight of Fear, perhaps they could just incorporate it into Jungle Xpedition by having it be a military base in the jungle? Yeah it's tacked on, but having to retheme the inside of FoF would have to be a huge undertaking and I doubt KD would want to go through with that.

GJYrKqjWgAAsczX.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The ride will be called Rapterra.  65 mph, 3,086 ft long, 145 ft tall, 3 inversions (a dive loop, corkscrew and barrel roll).  Similar sized trains as Thunderbird with 20 per train.  Longest and tallest launched wing coaster.

https://www.kingsdominion.com/new-in-2025

I hope they keep the queue somewhat similar to the concept art, looks pretty cool.

Also, is that the former Volcano station as the queue entrance?

• Like 1

Decent name, solid, somewhat-unique layout/elements, beautiful color scheme, great interaction with the midway. My only issue is that, with two 20-person trains, capacity won't come anywhere near to GK's lofty people-eater status, but that's a high bar.

• Like 1

Well, yeah. It's a Volcano replacement. In the spirit of what came before, Rapterra will also quickly gain a long queue in the morning and keep it all day. ;)

In all seriousness, that's a smart addition for a park that's been hemorrhaging popular rides for the last decade. B&M Wing Coasters maybe aren't my personal cup of tea, but they're marketable and there's nothing like it in the area. Good for them.

It's a little curious that a 305 retheme announcement wasn't part of today's news. Wonder if that's gonna be for 2026 or if the announcement is just coming later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TombRaiderFTW said:

Well, yeah. It's a Volcano replacement. In the spirit of what came before, Rapterra will also quickly gain a long queue in the morning and keep it all day. ;)

In all seriousness, that's a smart addition for a park that's been hemorrhaging popular rides for the last decade. B&M Wing Coasters maybe aren't my personal cup of tea, but they're marketable and there's nothing like it in the area. Good for them.

It's a little curious that a 305 retheme announcement wasn't part of today's news. Wonder if that's gonna be for 2026 or if the announcement is just coming later.

It's possible that the final name and logo for the Project 305 retheme hasn't been finalized yet. I still think it's going to be a 2025 addition, as there was test paint on P305 a while back. Also, there were cheetahs in one of the teasers for Rapterra if that means anything.