2023 General Kings Island Discussion

BeeastFarmer

4 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

If it is open when you get here this weekend, I would bolt over to it first...

I’m currently debating if I should come for early entry. It may not be open even though it’s supposed to be for early entry. Because if I show up at 9 then it ends up not opening I would be riding Cargo loco and sol spin for an hour… 

Or I could come at opening and hope it opens soon and run over there as soon as it opens and ride as many times as I can before it shuts down. It opened at 11:30 this morning…

If it’s not going to open in the morning and KI knows it won’t I would hope they put some other big coaster to ride during early entry. Because without Banshee it’s only Flat rides and FAAC.

• Like 1

Went today and while it wasn't packed like people said Tuesday was, it was definitely more crowded than I expect on these 8 PM, mid-week days. Lots of family groups. Honestly, maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like an awful lot of the people were either new to the park or haven't been in years. Lots of people unaware of normal procedures (not that there's anything wrong with that) or you could tell it was their first time on a particular ride.

Also noticed the cuts to some of the ride staffs that has been discussed. Mystic was running with 2 restraint checkers. Orion and DB had 3 early but were back to the normal 4 in the evening. Either way, there wasn't a lot of stacking to be honest. They were still pretty efficient. AE was back to 2 trains. Banshee ran the first half of the day and then closed. No other coasters were closed that I noticed.

Lastly, the pork loin at Coney BBQ was pretty good.

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, DoomPlague said:

Went today and while it wasn't packed like people said Tuesday was, it was definitely more crowded than I expect on these 8 PM, mid-week days. Lots of family groups. Honestly, maybe I'm wrong but it seemed like an awful lot of the people were either new to the park or haven't been in years. Lots of people unaware of normal procedures (not that there's anything wrong with that) or you could tell it was their first time on a particular ride.

Also noticed the cuts to some of the ride staffs that has been discussed. Mystic was running with 2 restraint checkers. Orion and DB had 3 early but were back to the normal 4 in the evening. Either way, there wasn't a lot of stacking to be honest. They were still pretty efficient. AE was back to 2 trains. Banshee ran the first half of the day and then closed. No other coasters were closed that I noticed.

Lastly, the pork loin at Coney BBQ was pretty good.

I was there as a guest from like 4-8 and lines were npt very long at all. In fact from like 6-8 almost everything was pretty much walk on. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Orion742 said:

I’m currently debating if I should come for early entry. It may not be open even though it’s supposed to be for early entry. Because if I show up at 9 then it ends up not opening I would be riding Cargo loco and sol spin for an hour… 

Or I could come at opening and hope it opens soon and run over there as soon as it opens and ride as many times as I can before it shuts down. It opened at 11:30 this morning…

If it’s not going to open in the morning and KI knows it won’t I would hope they put some other big coaster to ride during early entry. Because without Banshee it’s only Flat rides and FAAC.

I love to see Banshee finally running for early entry for the first time in two days! Maybe they finally fixed whatever happened. I’m still not planning to go for early entry this weekend. But maybe I will finally get my Banshee ride.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

I love to see Banshee finally running for early entry for the first time in two days! Maybe they finally fixed whatever happened. I’m still not planning to go for early entry this weekend. But maybe I will finally get my Banshee ride.

Just in case, I'd bolt over there when you arrive lol

• Like 2

If anyone is in the park today, any updates on Banshee? I also heard about all three trains being parked on the transfer tracks so I was just curious if she was back up and running. Considering getting off work a little early tomorrow to enjoy a few hours of the last daily ops and was hoping to get a few rides on Banshee.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

If anyone is in the park today, any updates on Banshee? I also heard about all three trains being parked on the transfer tracks so I was just curious if she was back up and running. Considering getting off work a little early tomorrow to enjoy a few hours of the last daily ops and was hoping to get a few rides on Banshee.

image.jpegAccording to Queue Times it has been running since 9:30 at a 30 minute wait. I’ve been trying to get my Banshee rides as well lol.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I was there as a guest from like 4-8 and lines were npt very long at all. In fact from like 6-8 almost everything was pretty much walk on. 

Yeah, the lines basically disappeared around 6. You're right that it was never that bad (maybe 5 to15 minute lines on the major coasters, 20-35 on the low capacity ones?) but I'm just used to these final weekdays in august being even lighter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

I hope they get back to Diamondback's repaint soon, I know Baynum is currently working on a VERY large structure at Cedar Point, but I really don't want to end up having the weather get too cold to complete it during this season...

Oh come on! They’ve never not finished a paint job here at Kings Island before. ;)

On 7/26/2023 at 6:29 PM, Orion742 said:

Are you talking about the Banshee scream at the top of the lift? I don’t remember hearing music on any of my rides before.

I finally got my Banshee ride this weekend at it was running well! I sat on the left side of the train and I finally heard the music on the lift hill. Maybe I haven’t noticed it since I always sit on the right side of the train.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, PKIDelirium said:

I hope they get back to Diamondback's repaint soon, I know Baynum is currently working on a VERY large structure at Cedar Point, but I really don't want to end up having the weather get too cold to complete it during this season...

I believe yesterday I saw a lift from the I street cam, hard to tell from afar but the pixels seemed to not be there after an hour.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Orion742 said:

Does anyone know why the Kings Island gear website is under maintenance? I’m sure it is just regular maintenance but I saw that all CF gear websites are down as well.

If I had to guess they might be revamping it for new merch (Haunt/Winterfest gear) or maybe just redoing the way the page looks all together?

• Like 2

On 8/22/2023 at 8:24 AM, DJSkyFoxx said:

I just gotta say they really picked the "best" time to cut weekday ops out seeing as this is such an incredibly hot week I'm sure folks would have been thrilled to be able to utilize the water park. 

I would have for sure taken at least one day off this week to come down if the park were still open.  I personally think its a$$, I dont want to hear "But the kids are back in school so we cant staff the park". B.S. put Mr. Selfie on a ride and all the other gold tags and keep it open daily until Labor Day.

• Like 1

I'm sure somebody has noted this before but I spot checked some of the other CF parks.  And they are all opened this week.  What's the deal with KI??

I expected CP, Carowinds, Knotts, Great American to be open and most regional parks closed.  But it looks like they are all open except KI.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

I would have for sure taken at least one day off this week to come down if the park were still open.  I personally think its a$$, I dont want to hear "But the kids are back in school so we cant staff the park". B.S. put Mr. Selfie on a ride and all the other gold tags and keep it open daily until Labor Day.

But here's the thing, you also need people to staff food/drink stands as well as other areas. KI is more than just the rides. Also don't forget those who work need a break every 6 hours (5 hours if you're a minor). While yes you can technically staff some rides at like 5 people, that's at bare minimum and they need more to be able to send breaks and rotate positions. Also the gold tags/area supervisors need to be available as much as possible in the event things happen (like if a safety issue were to happen and the operators involved were to need to be disciplined for it, there needs to be extra staff available to come and take the involved operators' spots so that the ride can continue to operate while the involved operator(s) get disciplined/retrained). 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, jdf21972 said:

Park pulled an online switch and eliminated early rides on Fridays.

don't mean to fart on your pizza or anything but the park is only open evenings on Fridays going forward til end of Haunt. I don't recall them doing ERT for passholders on evening opens before? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

Gone are the days where gold tags would step in to help operate rides. It always made me giggle seeing the suits on platforms. 

On 8/24/2023 at 3:46 PM, Coasterteam said:

don't mean to fart on your pizza or anything but the park is only open evenings on Fridays going forward til end of Haunt. I don't recall them doing ERT for passholders on evening opens before? 

Last year on the Friday night in august that the park was open, I was able to ride DB and MT 4:30 - 5 for ERT

• Like 2