Would you want Slingshot to return?

SonofBaconator

Slingshot  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was one of the "no" votes, but since nobody gave their reasoning why they voted no, I'll throw mine out there.  I'll start by saying I've never ridden Sling Shot, nor anything like it and never intend to.  But that isn't my reasoning for voting no.  I will never ride the new rides they just put into Adventure port either (spinny things dont serve me well) either but I much prefer those.  Sling Shot was often a no line just kind of sitting there ride.  I'm sure the upcharge nature of the ride played a roll in it, but it kind of just took up space.  Meanwhile, I believe the new rides at KI will have a consistent line and will serve to please those that are willing and able to ride them.  While I may not be able to ride them, the joy and experience they bring to those that do (like the rest of my family) will pull those potential riders away from other rides in the park that I do enjoy, shortening the lines up ever so slightly.  Slingshot never shortened up any lines by more than a handful of people spread across the park at any given moment.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Personally, I would like to see one brought back and placed elsewhere. Maybe painted and with a light package and located somewhere around BLSC since there’s ample amounts of space.

Edit: Wow people really don’t miss Slingshot:lol:

If you're referring to the space between BLSC and Diamondback, I think a slingshot ride (or any tall flat ride for that matter) would look a bit cramped in the skyline being located that close to the Eiffel Tower. Maybe it could be placed in Rivertown in the area where The Crypt was? That area of the park is really lacking in flat rides and opening up the area where The Crypt was could present the possibility of a flat ride expansion for that section of the park. Personally, I think there are other options they could go with for flat rides but I don't think a new slingshot ride would be a bad fit.

My answer is I think the park made the right decision getting rid of Slingshot and replacing it with a new family ride that isn't an upcharge attraction. While I know some people enjoyed the ride, I just feel like slingshot rides belong at those roadsize FEC's/Boardwalk parks where everything is an upcharge attraction rather than at a large regional/destination amusement park like Kings Island. I also thought the placement of Slingshot was in a bad place especially after the construction of Banshee where the view of Banshee was basically blocked by those 2 ugly looking truss towers. I honestly feel KI doesn't need anymore upcharge rides. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

My answer is I think the park made the right decision getting rid of Slingshot and replacing it with a new family ride that isn't an upcharge attraction. While I know some people enjoyed the ride, I just feel like slingshot rides belong at those roadsize FEC's/Boardwalk parks where everything is an upcharge attraction rather than at a large regional/destination amusement park like Kings Island. I also thought the placement of Slingshot was in a bad place especially after the construction of Banshee where the view of Banshee was basically blocked by those 2 ugly looking truss towers. I honestly feel KI doesn't need anymore upcharge rides. 

I do like how much better the skyline looks; you also get a great view of Banshee (and Delirium) from Cargo Loco's line:

IMG_1999.jpg

This picture doesn't do it justice, but I really love the views the queue provides. :D

• Like 3

I voted no. First I'm not the target audience for an additional cost attraction because if it's more than $5 I'm not paying it. I rode eXtreme Skyflyer three times on a day where they ran a $5 special (I only paid once, friends paid other two times). I never rode slingshot and I have already ridden it's replacement Cargo Loco 

• Like 1

I also voted no. SlingShot was fun to watch, but it was kind of an eyesore. I kind of hope Xtreme Skyflyer meets the same fate as SlingShot if and when Action Zone gets revamped. Like SlingShot, I think Xtreme Skyflyer is a bit of an eyesore. Removing that ride would also open up that section of Action Zone and possibly allow for the addition of a flat ride or two.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I voted no. Never really cared for it or rode it. Now for some reason with CP being a resort, I feel having on there makes more sense that KI. I can't really explain why I feel that way though.

I feel the same since while CP is a large thrill amusement park, it is a beachfront resort and a lot of beaches/boardwalks tend to have upcharge attractions like that. 

• Like 2

• 5 months later...

Personally I didn't care that it was an upcharge attraction. That didn't bother me as I am a 1-2X a year Skyflyer rider and I don't mind paying $10 to do it. My issue with Slingshot was that it just wasn't all that fun. I did it 3X with different friends and each time I can say the ONLY fun part of it to me was the anticipation towards the launch. That part was fun, but bouncing around inside the ball was super uncomfortable. It reminded me of breaking horses to ride-as if it were trying to buck you off. Incredibly not-fun. At least when breaking a horse to ride I had the satisfaction of having a soft-furry friend to pet and condition which was rewarding. This....not so much. Seeing it gone did not make me sad and with it being replaced with a mini-themed area and two flat rides, Sol Spin being a favorite now, I was not at all sad for losing Slingshot. 

Building a slingshot from scratch is something like a million dollars.  Then you have to figure in maintenance and operating expenses.  This is the problem, people keep saying I rode it when it was $5 or $10, but no one is saying $20 is a fair price.  Over the life of the attraction it was likely profitable.  But did it make enough money to justify building a new one?  Unlikely.

Kings Island is really the wrong kind of park to install one in.  You need a location where people are already used to paying per a ride, a higher percentage of tourists, or something special.  Kings Island is just too much of a locals park.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kenban said:

Building a slingshot from scratch is something like a million dollars.  Then you have to figure in maintenance and operating expenses.  This is the problem, people keep saying I rode it when it was $5 or $10, but no one is saying $20 is a fair price.  Over the life of the attraction it was likely profitable.  But did it make enough money to justify building a new one?  Unlikely.

Kings Island is really the wrong kind of park to install one in.  You need a location where people are already used to paying per a ride, a higher percentage of tourists, or something special.  Kings Island is just too much of a locals park.

Is 10 people riding it for $5 or $10 better than 4 people riding it for $20? I don't know the breakdown of how many people would ride it when pricing was low or high, but any profit would be better than none. 

There are several of these rides out there without riders paying per ride, including Six Flags parks and Cedar Point. Sometimes the rides are fear conquering type, but they're for sure not signature rides where folks travel just to ride them. 

4 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

There are several of these rides out there without riders paying per ride, including Six Flags parks and Cedar Point. Sometimes the rides are fear conquering type, but they're for sure not signature rides where folks travel just to ride them. 

You are going to need to be more specific, because I do not know of any park who does not charge extra for this specific attraction.  Cedar Point does charge per a rider and if I remember right it’s $25.  Great Adventure charges $25, Darien Lake also charges $25.

Some Six Flags parks do have attractions that have been paid attractions at other locations, such as Cat Woman’s Whip at Six Flags St Louis.  But as far as I know, no one offers a slingshot for free.

5 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Is 10 people riding it for $5 or $10 better than 4 people riding it for $20? I don't know the breakdown of how many people would ride it when pricing was low or high, but any profit would be better than none. 

Cedar Point charges to ride it.

19 hours ago, Orion-XL200 said:

I would overall say 10 people riding it for $5-$10 is worse than 4 at $20 each. To start if those 10 were all at $50 it is nearly half the income of the 4 at $20, but saying they are equal or even $100 vs $80, there is more wear on the systems running it 5 times for those 10 versus 2 times for the 4. The springs and bands get put through a lot of stress on each run and from stuff I have read on these, need to be replaced frequently so operating it 2.5x as often for the same income is going to lower your profit when compared with the increased maintenance costs.

19 hours ago, Kenban said:

You are going to need to be more specific, because I do not know of any park who does not charge extra for this specific attraction.  Cedar Point does charge per a rider and if I remember right it’s $25.  Great Adventure charges $25, Darien Lake also charges $25.

Some Six Flags parks do have attractions that have been paid attractions at other locations, such as Cat Woman’s Whip at Six Flags St Louis.  But as far as I know, no one offers a slingshot for free.

18 hours ago, LuvingKI said:

Cedar Point charges to ride it.

Sorry, I meant the type of parks where folks don't pay per ride (not Slingshot) but like boardwalk parks.

5 hours ago, purdude86 said:

I would overall say 10 people riding it for $5-$10 is worse than 4 at $20 each. To start if those 10 were all at $50 it is nearly half the income of the 4 at $20, but saying they are equal or even $100 vs $80, there is more wear on the systems running it 5 times for those 10 versus 2 times for the 4. The springs and bands get put through a lot of stress on each run and from stuff I have read on these, need to be replaced frequently so operating it 2.5x as often for the same income is going to lower your profit when compared with the increased maintenance costs.

I can understand that, but $ coming in is better than none IMO.

On 12/7/2023 at 3:23 PM, Orion-XL200 said:

I can understand that, but $ coming in is better than none IMO.

I guess depends on how much. I did word it as less profit, and yes if it is making profit that would be beneficial even if it is small. But if the maintenance and operating costs (including paying staff to work it even if no one rides) outweighs the income, then it would be operating at a loss. So yes any profit coming in is better than none, but money coming in doesn’t necessarily mean profit either. 

• Like 1