Dorney Park 2024

I am very happy for Dorney Park. I went twice last year, and while I enjoyed my time there, it definitely looks and feels as though Dick Kinzel had just stepped out on lunch break. A new coaster will be a nice breath of new life into the park. It is incredible to me that this is their first custom-layout coaster since George W. Bush was President! 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, KIghostguy said:

I am very happy for Dorney Park. I went twice last year, and while I enjoyed my time there, it definitely looks and feels as though Dick Kinzel had just stepped out on lunch break. A new coaster will be a nice breath of new life into the park. It is incredible to me that this is their first custom-layout coaster since George W. Bush was President! 

That's pretty mind-blowing. And speaking of that coaster, Hydra was my first floorless (and it was pretty cool B)).

Also, while the wooden shuttle coaster would have been interesting to see, I'm glad they are keeping Possessed.

I feel Dorney has to be very selective with a new coaster.  Between Hershey and SFGAdv, the two have a pretty diverse collection between them, and DP has to fall in that niche to keep them diversified and relevant.  Could we see another Zamperla of some sort?  

15 hours ago, silver2005 said:

I feel Dorney has to be very selective with a new coaster.  Between Hershey and SFGAdv, the two have a pretty diverse collection between them, and DP has to fall in that niche to keep them diversified and relevant.  Could we see another Zamperla of some sort?  

A new  coaster installation at a CF park that isnt made by B&M or GCI?  Surely you jest!!  And no, Top Thrill Wicked Polaris doesn't count as a new installation, its a revision.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2023 at 10:53 PM, KIghostguy said:

Also crazy to think that babies who were born the last time Dorney Park opened a brand new (not relocated) coaster graduated High School this past May! My sister is one of them lol. 

• Like 4

While that last custom coaster opened in 2005.  Those years before it were crazy.  Currently at Dorney every coaster except for one classic woodie opened between 1997 and 2008.  That’s six coasters which included two B&M’s, and a Morgan Hyper in only twelve years.

So what changed?  The Paramount Parks were purchased in 2006.

Sounds like something mechanical related... like perhaps a haunted factory vehicle or something?

In any case, it doesn't sound like a likely Dive Coaster theme to me (the automobiles make me think of a launch coaster), but I could be wrong. Perhaps this could be a GCI? We shall see on the 10th...

12 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

Sounds like something mechanical related... like perhaps a haunted factory vehicle or something?

In any case, it doesn't sound like a likely Dive Coaster theme to me (the automobiles make me think of a launch coaster), but I could be wrong. Perhaps this could be a GCI? We shall see on the 10th...

If the leaked blueprints are accurate, then it's a pretty safe bet it's going to be a B&M mini dive.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orion742 said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VChk0N0P8WU

Seems Dorney is going all out on the theming for this ride. At least I hope so.

4 days remaining.

That is a grave at Knott's Berry Farm.  Looks like we are getting a Ghost Town / Abandoned Steel Mill theme.  

"A steel baron’s legacy will test your nerves in 2024 at Dorney Park"

Picture of the grave at Knott's:

spacer.png

• Like 2

“Iron Menace”

IMG_5422.jpeg

IMG_5423.jpeg

Full web page

This looks to be Cliffhanger 2.0! Now Dorney has 3 unique B&Ms to call their own. I know dives can be seen as repetitive but part of me is a little jealous of Dorney; we don’t even have a vertical drop, let alone anything beyond vertical! I’m impressed that they went with the 7 row design. I’ve never been to this park but I’m just happy that they got some love considering they haven’t gotten anything custom in some time!

• Like 5

Looks interesting. I am most intrigued to see the "tilted loop" (aka the inclined loop) as I don't think that has been part of a (new) coaster since the 90's. Also, the inversions seem very rapid-fire. I'm still curious as to why they chose a dive (as Hydra is right across the park) and the name is meh (reminds me of how Pokemon names the "future" Paradox Pokemon lol), but it looks to be a solid addition.

I've always been a bit curious about having a dive and floorless in the same park seeing as to me anyway they are similar rides. However, this little dive machine looks like it'll actually be pretty sweet! Dorney is a great park as it is but this will give them another coaster that is different than their competitors. Congrats to Dorney Park on a coaster many years overdue! 

Another super short ride bought by Cedar Fair. I know Dorney is a small park but this trend of going cheap and short seems to be the norm now. I hope The Vortex replacement doesn't go that way. Make us wait a couple more years to spend the extra $10ish million if you have to.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2