Things KI doesn’t do but should

Captain Nemo

11 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

Self explanatory. What is something other parks do that Kings Island doesn’t but you think should?

Free Sunscreen: Holiday world

Hand mounted cameras: SeaWorld and Busch Gardens

Better App: Universal Studios and Disney

Free Lockers: Universal Studios

Self explanatory. What is something other parks do that Kings Island doesn’t but you think should?

Free Sunscreen: Holiday world is included in your higher ticket price.

Hand mounted cameras: SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, no need. Already have an official POV, and someone will drop their camera. 

Better App: Universal Studios and Disney, Yes need a major upgrade.

Free Lockers: Universal Studios yes, if your ride requires me to secure all loose articles an area to place my belongings that are needed in the park should be provided.

I think KI should have lockers like Kentucky Kingdom, where you get a wristband tied to a locker and when scanned, the locker automatically opens (as opposed to the current system where you gave to remember both a passcode and the locker number) This would be extremely useful in the waterpark, especially since the slip of paper with the locker info could easily get wet (and that’s if it prints at all…)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, flightoffear1996 said:

I would love see a Virtual Queuing and getting rid of fast passes. 

Honestly surprised that this has never been implemented given all the other customer-service focused improvements in a post-Kinzel era. When Fast Lane was implemented, it was very clearly a quick way to make profit. The overhead was low (wristbands) and the revenue had to be off the charts, but then the park continued to vastly "oversell."

You'd see rides like Flight of Fear with a regular, slow-moving line and a slightly less long, but still slow moving "Fast Lane" line. Given the experience at other parks and the name having the word fast in it, I couldn't believe that they were letting that happen. Hell, even on Firehawk back in the day (RIP), they'd do one station for Fast Lane one for regular guests with both lines being awful. "Fast Lane" was like 45 minutes for that ride. And the park just kept selling passes all day.

The debut of Fast Lane was typical of that immediate post-Kinzel era: profit placed way over guest experience (or, rather, certain park VPs of "Kingzee's Ayyland" trying to make themselves look good). Given the strides CF has made in recent years, I'm surprised to see the "system" still exists and hasn't been upgraded to something more modern/guest friendly/advantageous (with the other benefit being that guests with a virtual queue are out of line spending money). Could even make it app based... but then they'd have to figure out an app. 

Edited by Gordon Bombay
formatting
  • Like 2

More weekend operations: events that could be held regardless of ride schedules. I’m talking about food festivals in Soak City on the weekends in November and March so that way it doesn’t interfere with the off-season maintenance that the dry park goes through. Even extending Winterfest on weekends after New Years and keeping the winter theme going would give people something to do-limited attractions running of course.

Haunt Thursdays: I believe CP does HalloWeekends from Thursday-Sunday. I wouldn’t mind seeing extended Haunt dates in order to maybe disperse crowds.

The theme of my idea is basically extended seasons with different offerings.

• Like 1

I wish Cedar Fair being cashless adopted something similar to Magic Bands at Disney. 

Sunblock provided in Soak City like HW or at the minimum provided inside the VIP lounge.

Water fountains in the queue line like BG.

Haunt Thursdays like CP.

More behind the scenes tours that can be booked like BG.

1 hour ago, SonofBaconator said:

I have a dumb idea: gift cards?

Disney has those too, but it would be nice if my phone and or Watch didn’t have to fight the sun on who is brighter, and I could just simply tap either to redeem my add ons via NFC. 

12 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

More weekend operations: events that could be held regardless of ride schedules. I’m talking about food festivals in Soak City on the weekends in November and March so that way it doesn’t interfere with the off-season maintenance that the dry park goes through. Even extending Winterfest on weekends after New Years and keeping the winter theme going would give people something to do-limited attractions running of course.

Haunt Thursdays: I believe CP does HalloWeekends from Thursday-Sunday. I wouldn’t mind seeing extended Haunt dates in order to maybe disperse crowds.

The theme of my idea is basically extended seasons with different offerings.

Remember this? 
https://www.facebook.com/visitkingsisland/videos/the-Banshee-brew-festival-returns-to-kings-island-this-friday-and-saturday-night/10154753158223368/

• 6 months later...
On 8/7/2023 at 11:08 AM, flightoffear1996 said:

I would love see a Virtual Queuing and getting rid of fast passes.  If your not standing in queue your spending money the midways.  Also shade shade shade!  Nothing worse than getting pelted with the say on a 95 degree day. 

Shade is what the park needs most.   It’s miserable in the heat.   They have cut down just about every tree that shades the midway.  

I don’t understand why they’re so cheap. They won’t build shaded structures over the flat ride queues (and parts of the coasters).    it’s just that big of an investment that makes the customers day so much better.    

• Like 1

Sell more actual coaster/ride merch. 

I know I talk about CP a lot, but they really have such an amazing collection of ride/coaster merchandise and different selections in various shops. KI has a lot of the same exact stuff in most of the same shops. A wide variety would be great.

• Like 4

Not to mention, most coaster merch is geared toward the same five rides (Mystic, Beast, Diamondback, Banshee, Orion) which I understand are the most popular, but for those of us whose favorites are less represented, more merch of other rides is greatly appreciated. I really like how there were new shirts for Adventure Express in light of its Adventure Port touchup, as well as a few items celebrating Bat's 30th anniversary and even some Phantom Theater merch during the respective show's run! That's definitely a step in the right direction!

• Like 4

I would love to see a screen printing store like you see at many malls, but in this case it would have a lot of different designs for various rides throughout the park.

Have ten or so different plain colors in various sizes.  You would buy your shirt pick your design, they would screen print it, and you could pick it up later in the day.

From the park's viewpoint they don't have to keep a ton of inventory for rides that may not sell a ton.  But if someone comes in and wants to buy a shirt with Zephyr or Cargo Loco they could easily screen print it.

• Like 3

Have attractions that aren’t ride based- like the Hall of Presidents or Country Bear Jamboree. They’ve done a live action show in the KI Theater for the past two seasons. If entertainment wanted to focus resources on different shows, KI could still use the PT theme for a sit down animatronic show.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rivertown Rider said:

I would love to see a screen printing store like you see at many malls, but in this case it would have a lot of different designs for various rides throughout the park.

Have ten or so different plain colors in various sizes.  You would buy your shirt pick your design, they would screen print it, and you could pick it up later in the day.

From the park's viewpoint they don't have to keep a ton of inventory for rides that may not sell a ton.  But if someone comes in and wants to buy a shirt with Zephyr or Cargo Loco they could easily screen print it.

Cheap, pre printed bulk t shirts are WAY cheaper than labor regardless of what the initial outlay is. Plus it’s not like it’s volatile stock that can’t carry over year to year. Totally get your idea, and I think it’s cool, but I don’t think the metrics would make sense for them. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SonofBaconator said:

Have attractions that aren’t ride based- like the Hall of Presidents or Country Bear Jamboree. They’ve done a live action show in the KI Theater for the past two seasons. If entertainment wanted to focus resources on different shows, KI could still use the PT theme for a sit down animatronic show.

Love them personally, but re-rideability is bad for story based attractions. At a regional park with a huge regularly revisiting customer base, I think you would see dwindling numbers fast. I don’t think you could make a compelling enough argument (unfortunately) for these types of attractions. Just look at the maintenance on the story-based elements they have for rides. After the first season or two, when most of their core market has “heard the story” they let all of those elements slide into disuse and just focus on the ride. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, brenthodge said:

Love them personally, but re-rideability is bad for story based attractions. At a regional park with a huge regularly revisiting customer base, I think you would see dwindling numbers fast. I don’t think you could make a compelling enough argument (unfortunately) for these types of attractions. Just look at the maintenance on the story-based elements they have for rides. After the first season or two, when most of their core market has “heard the story” they let all of those elements slide into disuse and just focus on the ride. 

You make a good point. The only thing I can think of that would amend that would be changing stories-similar to how Chuck E Cheese used to change out their shows with different music back in the day; but even then you’d have to update the show nearly every other season to keep it fresh.

• Like 1

To continue on with the merchandise talk, it would be nice if they had more merchandise related to such family attractions like the K.I. & M.V. railroad and the Kings Mills Antique Autos. Like maybe long sleeve shirts and ornaments. Or even better models.

If you ask me, Cedar Fair made a mistake when they chose one of CP’s engines for Lionel to model. The model chosen resembles our engines more than their’s.

IMG_6193.png

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, OverlandTaxis30 said:

To continue on with the merchandise talk, it would be nice if they had more merchandise related to such family attractions like the K.I. & M.V. railroad and the Kings Mills Antique Autos. Like maybe long sleeve shirts and ornaments. Or even better models.

If you ask me, Cedar Fair made a mistake when they chose one of CP’s engines for Lionel to model. The model chosen resembles our engines more than their’s.

IMG_6193.png

Like these?

IMG_2655.jpeg

Do more special events during the season outside of Haunt and Winterfest especially if Carnivale doesn't come back. Give us a springtime event in May and June (like Busch Gardens food and wine festival). Do something cool Memorial Day weekend like they did in 2009 with the ASA Action Sports World Tour. Do a 4th of July event outside of just the fireworks. Have activities and live bands during the day leading up to the fireworks. Bring the Monster Jam Thunder Alley event to KI. Also what the heck happened to Summer Nights? Back in 2020 there was plans to introduce a Summer Nights block party event (similar to what Knotts does) on select nights, then covid happened, but for some reason they never tried the event post covid. On the same lines, bring back Island Nights/Dive in movies in Soak City. Keep Spirit Song going and maybe consider holding another music festival with non Christian acts (that could even go along with the memorial day weekend event idea bc the ASA event had concerts that year). Do a kids focused event like Canada's Wonderland's Kidzfest (with the SIX merger and access to more IPs, this could be done easier) or even bring back the Peanuts Celebration. I don't understand why that only lasted one season when it was well recieved by guests.

• Like 3