Coney Island Permanently Closing

Oldiesmann

What the ownership did to Coney still makes me sad.  It had so much potential, and was terribly mismanaged by the ownership that eventually sold it to the CSO.  When they removed the rides at the end of the 2019 season, that was the beginning of the end.  They didn`t really invest much into the place after that point.  I still miss working in the rides department there terribly.  I know several of the full time staff that was laid off with the sale of the park.  The concession stands at Riverbend that used to be run by Coney employees are now being run by MEMI`s vendor company.  

I shutter to think what the parking situation will be on the first sold out concert.  Coney`s parking employees had the handling of traffic and parking down to a tee.  

The whole situation is sad.  I don`t know why they could not continue to co-exist.  

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

8 hours ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Looks like Kings Island could have another piece of "current" Coney Island history if they buy the slides and add it to Soak City. That would be a great PR campaign. Hint, Hint!

Didn't CF pass on every ride that Coney sold off in 2019?  I suspect the slides would be in comparable condition that they wouldn't purchase, but with budget cut mode, if they can get them cheap who knows....

I mean, it’s probably way more hassle than it’s worth. Both of those structures probably require additional infrastructure where if you’re going to put a new pool/plumbing in — why not just spend the money on new attractions at that point? And we’re talking about two attractions that, while great for Coney, would be relatively unnoticed among the swath of KI offerings.

Also, yeah it would be a good PR move in the sense that a few local tv news stations might use it as feel-good-fodder for the older crowd still watching the news and spreading Facebook nonsense, but how much is that really worth?

It’s tragic what happened to Sunlite Pool and hopefully MEMI preserves Moonlight Gardens/some history, but the park truly died in 1971, not 2023. 

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Gordon Bombay said:

I mean, it’s probably way more hassle than it’s worth. Both of those structures probably require additional infrastructure where if you’re going to put a new pool/plumbing in — why not just spend the money on new attractions at that point? And we’re talking about two attractions that, while great for Coney, would be relatively unnoticed among the swath of KI offerings.

Also, yeah it would be a good PR move in the sense that a few local tv news stations might use it as feel-good-fodder for the older crowd still watching the news and spreading Facebook nonsense, but how much is that really worth?

It’s tragic what happened to Sunlite Pool and hopefully MEMI preserves Moonlight Gardens/some history, but the park truly died in 1971, not 2023. 

Under certain conditions the purchase would make sense. For example, The Beach got their play structure from a defunct water park in Michigan. Since time and - let’s be frank, quality - wasn’t of the essence, they were able to get it running. Additionally, it could be sold for parts. I’m not sure what kind of shape they’re in, but the pumps alone are worth tens of thousands of dollars. That’s even in non-working condition. So no, I think the attempt to sell is honest and not “Facebook nonsense.” They’ll really sell them. 

would be a pr nod, a feel-good story, and great theming element if ki were to reconstruct a replica of Moonlite Gardens at the cap of Coney Mall, perhaps where The Vortex line queue was.  Maybe as an indoor/outdoor eating area.  In addition, reconstruct the iconic Coney Island entrance gates at the west entrance of Coney Mall.

Coney Mall will soon be the last remnant left of the once iconic park. KI has an opportunity to do things to give nods to its history. what, if anything, will they do?  Or will it be as I suspect, business as usual.  I'd like to be wrong.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

“Facebook nonsense.” 

To clarify, I was referring to "Facebook Nonsense" in the sense of click bait news fodder (like when a certain local tv news station posts "they said WHAT" over the a headline about a b-list celebrity), not necessarily sharing Coney stories. 

Since time and - let’s be frank, quality - wasn’t of the essence

Explore how dare you defy me GIFs

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gordon Bombay said:

To clarify, I was referring to "Facebook Nonsense" in the sense of click bait news fodder (like when a certain local tv news station posts "they said WHAT" over the a headline about a b-list celebrity), not necessarily sharing Coney stories. 

Explore how dare you defy me GIFs

“Coney Island puts rides up for sale and you’ll never believe what happens next!” 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

“Coney Island puts rides up for sale and you’ll never believe what happens next!” 

I missed it because I got enticed by the headline at the bottom: “this one secret doctors don’t want you to know.”

• Haha 2

Well, at least Moonlite Gardens might be saved...  Still ashame that the pool will be demolished.  I still miss working in the rides department there...  Such a shame that the previous owners let it deteriorate...  If only Ron Walker hadn`t passed away in 1997...

• Like 2

More details in another article:

"The iconic front gates and Lake Como by the entrance will stay, said symphony President Jonathan Martin and Mike Smith, president of symphony subsidiary Music and Event Management Inc., known as MEMI. So will the grove along the river where Summerfair and other events have been held.

The symphony will consider saving the dance hall Moonlite Gardens, though the price tag of $5.7 million to rehabilitate it after years of sitting vacant would make preserving it difficult, they said.

Cincinnati Symphony leadership told The Enquirer they are not to blame for Coney Island's closure.

"I think it's important to also understand that we didn't buy Coney Island, the business," Martin said. "Coney Island closed the business, closed the pool, and they sold us the land. We are not going to reopen the pool."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/symphony-new-music-venue-at-coney-island-will-keep-some-historic-park-features/ar-BB1jA4dA?ocid=msedgntp&pc=U531&cvid=c996cb26769347ffa4ac7422ef1a9d6e&ei=47

• Like 1

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

More details in another article:

"The iconic front gates and Lake Como by the entrance will stay, said symphony President Jonathan Martin and Mike Smith, president of symphony subsidiary Music and Event Management Inc., known as MEMI. So will the grove along the river where Summerfair and other events have been held.

The symphony will consider saving the dance hall Moonlite Gardens, though the price tag of $5.7 million to rehabilitate it after years of sitting vacant would make preserving it difficult, they said.

As suspected, MEMI was going to try and preserve some historical aspects of the dry side of Coney Island. My question for those rallying behind the Save Coney Island campaign, would you do the same for MEMI to help raise the funds to keep Moonlite Gardens around?

Maybe they can get a company(s) to sponsor Moonlite Gardens.

• 2 weeks later...

Not too long ago the Music Hall was seeking tax benefits from the state and city. I’m somewhat tempted to ask how does the city and state feel that this organization who got a tax break is now destroying a local icon? What does the City of Cincinnati or better yet the state of Ohio have to say on these matters?

I place blame 50% on the original owners, 50% on MEMI. They should have known this kind of backlash would come, I’m interested to see if any action may come from the legislative side of things. 

I'd venture to say that they'd  there is more tax revenue potential from memy than a dying pool .

What they wouldn't likely say is that they can dole out taxpayer funds to make themselves look good to keep in office, knowing full well funds usually are terribly spent. 

19 hours ago, BB1 said:

Not too long ago the Music Hall was seeking tax benefits from the state and city. I’m somewhat tempted to ask how does the city and state feel that this organization who got a tax break is now destroying a local icon? What does the City of Cincinnati or better yet the state of Ohio have to say on these matters?

I place blame 50% on the original owners, 50% on MEMI. They should have known this kind of backlash would come, I’m interested to see if any action may come from the legislative side of things. 

Pretty much dead on.

The somewhat recent restoration of Music Hall is now ironic as it is hypocritical. On top of their desire to seek tax payer dollars to fund this project for a so called “non-profit.” Ha. CSO/MEMI didn’t have to be the villain, but they’re certainly acting like one. 

Regardless of what some have said, the pool was apparently still doing well and even turning a profit. I just don’t think the then ownership wanted anything to do with either the wet or dry side of the park. It’s deteriorated over the last ten-ish years to its current, non existent state. It’s my opinion, based on their actions, that they have just wanted to get away from it all. The ride closures solidified that. And that’s a shame because, if ran well, the park had so much life in it still. They deserve a lot of the blame. 

That said, CSO/MEMI have done nothing to help themselves. They can’t complain about being vilified if they’re going to vocally speak out against the wishes of the overwhelming majority. They don’t have to close/demolish the pool. But they’re choosing to. So, in that sense, they deserve a lot of the blame too. 

It’s just a garbage situation that could’ve been easily prevented had the park been run properly. There’s room for the venues, pool, and park to coexist. But that’s just not their plan, unfortunately. Hopefully Moonlite Gardens and the surrounding area can be saved. It could be a wonderful addition to their new “campus,” and it would be a nice nod to history. Maybe. I’d be willing to throw my support behind any historical preservation efforts should it come to that. 

A sad ending, regardless. Hard to believe that for the first time since 1925, Sunlite Pool will not be operating for the people of Cincinnati. 

While I hate to loose history, everything comes down to money. As I understand it, Coney got a large portion, if not all of the parking revenue from Riverbend concerts.  If memy control that, it makes them more money.

26k people signed a petition.  How many people are in the Coney Island MSA? Those are the people that would keep it in business.  For simple math, if the MSA is one million, that's like .26 people to keep it afloat. If these 26k people were to somehow convince memy to sell them the twoish acres, how in the world could they float it?  The parking rates would not go to Coney Island, they would go to memy. Insurance, payroll, upkeep, utilities, all the COGSS would likely far outweigh any revenue. The 26k are vocal, but a drop in the bucket of the majority.  

1 hour ago, BeeastFarmer said:

While I hate to loose history, everything comes down to money. As I understand it, Coney got a large portion, if not all of the parking revenue from Riverbend concerts.  If memy control that, it makes them more money.

26k people signed a petition.  How many people are in the Coney Island MSA? Those are the people that would keep it in business.  For simple math, if the MSA is one million, that's like .26 people to keep it afloat. If these 26k people were to somehow convince memy to sell them the twoish acres, how in the world could they float it?  The parking rates would not go to Coney Island, they would go to memy. Insurance, payroll, upkeep, utilities, all the COGSS would likely far outweigh any revenue. The 26k are vocal, but a drop in the bucket of the majority.  

Exactly and I’d like to mention too that Coney Island was charging $120 for its lowest tier season pass. Horrible value compared to what a $110 Silver Pass at Kings Island gives you.

I hope something can be done to save Moonlite Gardens.

It is a shame that they did this. I am interested to see what will happen to Moonlite Gardens. Really hope that they can either preserve it or either move it. I think it would be a great thing to somehow incorporate into the new design.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...