Kings Island 2024 Food Reviews and Discussion

SmartCat7162

57 minutes ago, Hoeter said:

I noticed that they changed the sign out on the building - it now has "Bar and Bistro" below the "French Corner" wording

Completely amazes me that a park that keeps adding "family friendly attractions" keeps insisting on increasing the amount of alcohol consumed in the park.  Don't care which way they go, just pick a lane and stay in it.  Nothing like kids spending the day with "drunk uncle" :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, robintodd said:

Completely amazes me that a park that keeps adding "family friendly attractions" keeps insisting on increasing the amount of alcohol consumed in the park.  Don't care which way they go, just pick a lane and stay in it.  Nothing like kids spending the day with "drunk uncle" :) 

Well, it just so happens that "family friendly attractions" are cheaper than good ones, so...

6 hours ago, robintodd said:

Guess I’ll need to be the drunk uncle. 

• Haha 2

FWIW there’s a new menu sign with the new name and it lists new drink options, but the same food options as before (shrimp po boy included) so if they are doing fall it’s an overlay of the existing offerings. Looks like they are basically adding the bar component (of course) and doing some light remodeling. 

• Haha 1

On 8/24/2024 at 8:59 AM, robintodd said:

Completely amazes me that a park that keeps adding "family friendly attractions" keeps insisting on increasing the amount of alcohol consumed in the park.

Is it really "amazing" that a for-profit business sells things that are in demand?

Also, it's a flatly absurd implication that a place cannot simultaneously be family-friendly and also serve alcohol.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DispatchMaster said:

Is it really "amazing" that a for-profit business sells things that are in demand?

Also, it's a flatly absurd implication that a place cannot simultaneously be family-friendly and also serve alcohol.

At least we know since it's a bar, unlike drink refill stations, it will be open. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Say what you will about another bar, but IS doesn’t have any alcoholic options as far as I know. So it makes sense. Call me crazy, but a cold beer and Fountain ERT are a great way to spend an evening. This was forever ago, but I’ll always share again as it was my best solo trip to date. Great memories. 

IMG_0085.jpeg

That said, since it is The French Corner, I hope their adult beverage options are thematically appropriate. Wine would be the obvious choice. Which would be nice. I know the Food and Wine festival wasn’t totally well received, but I loved having a glass of wine in Tower Gardens. And selfishly, I’d love to have that option in the future because Mrs. Beastfan fan wasn’t able to partake in the wine this summer in prep for Baby Beastfan’s arrival this Haunt season. 

I know the increased alcohol sales bother a lot of people, but it only serves to drive revenue and as an enthusiast I can’t complain about that. I just hope that money is invested back into the park and not into the golden parachute factory this merger has created. 

Cheers, everyone. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, beastfan11 said:

Say what you will about another bar, but IS doesn’t have any alcoholic options as far as I know. So it makes sense. Call me crazy, but a cold beer and Fountain ERT are a great way to spend an evening. This was forever ago, but I’ll always share again as it was my best solo trip to date. Great memories. 

IMG_0085.jpeg

That said, since it is The French Corner, I hope their adult beverage options are thematically appropriate. Wine would be the obvious choice. Which would be nice. I know the Food and Wine festival wasn’t totally well received, but I loved having a glass of wine in Tower Gardens. And selfishly, I’d love to have that option in the future because Mrs. Beastfan fan wasn’t able to partake in the wine this summer in prep for Baby Beastfan’s arrival this Haunt season. 

I know the increased alcohol sales bother a lot of people, but it only serves to drive revenue and as an enthusiast I can’t complain about that. I just hope that money is invested back into the park and not into the golden parachute factory this merger has created. 

Cheers, everyone. 

They were serving Mimosas earlier this season and I think one or two more specialty drinks, but I forget if they did have anything special besides the Mimosas. They also added  fridge with beer to the left of the register and also added alcoholic frozen drink machines. But they did not have wine on the menu at any point this season I think.

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2024 at 12:31 PM, DispatchMaster said:

I mean, it's pretty unethical that they refuse to open drink refill locations and add additional Icee locations to meet the demand of the drink plans they already sold and instead spend their whole food budget on pushing booze at every turn. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CedarPointer said:

I mean, it's pretty unethical that they refuse to open drink refill locations and add additional Icee locations to meet the demand of the drink plans they already sold and instead spend their whole food budget on pushing booze at every turn.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not sure what the heck that has to do with my comment, which was in response to someone making the argument that it is somehow incompatible or irresponsible or whatever to sell alcohol at an amusement park.

1 hour ago, DispatchMaster said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not sure what the heck that has to do with my comment, which was in response to someone making the argument that it is somehow incompatible or irresponsible or whatever to sell alcohol at an amusement park.

Never said it was irresponsible or incompatible.  I was not in favor of when Paramount banned alcohol in the park in the past.  I just believe in everything moderation.  It's not my faith in the park that is in question, but rather some of the people who attend it.  I have observed people leaving 21 and colder drinks half full outside the entrance to a ride.  Anyone could just go by and grab it.

My point simply was there are now more places to buy alohol in a park than ever and they keep adding family freindly attractions.  The more alcohol in a park, the greater the chance under age people will get ahold of it.  Can you imagine the press when a under age person gets hurt and explains that they got the liquer from a park employee that didn't check or failed to identify a fake id?  That happens enough times we'll be back to banning alcohol in the park again.

I thought the whole reason for the no re-entry policy during haunt was so people wouldn't go out to their car/get drunk and re enter.  Now it seems that the just want people to pay their upcharge prices for alcohol.  I don't mind that you want to make money of liquer but if you're going to have more places that serve during Haunt then maybe make the event 21 and older.

I may be a little sensitive to people getting drunk in parks living through Tower Johnny and the Flight Commander incident. 

In conclusion, I'm not really in favor of something that uses employees in a time when they are hard to come by.  I'd rather see a drink/Icee stand, food stand or a ride open than a 5th place to buy alchol because of the chase for the all-mighty dollar.  But that's just my 2 cents.

Did anyone by any chance go to the last chefs plate. I was wondering what people thought about it because it seemed like the people on the facebook really like it, but I wanted to see what people on here thought about it. I am super excited to see the food for Tricks and Treats this year. I'm really hoping that the food is elevated further than last year. 

1 hour ago, SmartCat7162 said:

Did anyone by any chance go to the last chefs plate. I was wondering what people thought about it because it seemed like the people on the facebook really like it, but I wanted to see what people on here thought about it. I am super excited to see the food for Tricks and Treats this year. I'm really hoping that the food is elevated further than last year. 

It was pretty amazing. Great portion of meat. Good sides. Definitely something they could do a slight up charge for dining plan (like 5-7$) and I’d still pay. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brenthodge said:

It was pretty amazing. Great portion of meat. Good sides. Definitely something they could do a slight up charge for dining plan (like 5-7$) and I’d still pay. 

Don't give them any ideas LOL.

Let's see if you say that for the Winterfest Buffet with the extra charge for dessert :P

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Don't give them any ideas LOL.

Let's see if you say that for the Winterfest Buffet with the extra charge for dessert :P

No. That’s stupid and just looked petty and cheap. Honestly I’m not sure who they are marketing the chefs plate to though. There was no price on the sign. Most if not all of the marketing was on their social or pass holders Facebook group, and I’d wager 90% of the people in line (at least) had meal plans, so t he run didn’t even generate income. They make no sense. They add booze everywhere to I crease revenue, yet seem to ignore ways to generate it through elevated food offerings. 

20 minutes ago, brenthodge said:

There was no price on the sign. 

I thought that was weird too.

Photo_1724895076617.jpg

I was talking to Mike and some of the other gold tags after I had the chefs plate. I will share what I told them. "It was the best chefs plate I had ever had."

Perfect portion size. The meat was tender, juicy, and well seasoned. The potato cakes were very flavorful. The carrots were well cooked. 

Photo_1724620561522.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I thought that was weird too.

Photo_1724895076617.jpg

I was talking to Mike and some of the other gold tags after I had the chefs plate. I will share what I told them. "It was the best chefs plate I had ever had."

Perfect portion size. The meat was tender, juicy, and well seasoned. The potato cakes were very flavorful. The carrots were well cooked. 

Photo_1724620561522.jpg

So they need to learn from this and get us some GREAT food like this in park on a more regular basis. It doesn’t need to be 40.00, but they don’t need to basically give it away either. I thought it was awesome. Glad I made the effort to go on Sunday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brenthodge said:

So they need to learn from this and get us some GREAT food like this in park on a more regular basis. It doesn’t need to be 40.00, but they don’t need to basically give it away either. I thought it was awesome. Glad I made the effort to go on Sunday. 

For Chef's Plate, as someone with the dining plan, I would not be opposed to spending $8 or so for the special. 

21 hours ago, brenthodge said:

This just shows that people will buy whatever the park peddles.

I'm sure it was a tasty and well presented meal.  But they offer it on the meal plan. Let's see if there is an upcharge trial coming next...for only $5.00, you can add the chef's plate each time it's offered!  

If it goes well and dining plans continue to sell, they could roll this out to other areas...for only $5.00, you can add one side item at Coney BBQ! (But they have taken the side away and just give a hush puppy now). For only $5.00, you can super size you Skyline meal! ( While they make it the same size as ever, but half the size of the non upgraded choice)

Or, if you don't want up charges each visit, indulge in the super duper meal plan that gets you all the premium offerings...only $350/season for Gold passholders and $450 for Prestige passholders.

( They could even offer the double stack chicken, but the upcharge would have to be at least $8!).  ;)

2 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

Whoever approved that sign for public display deserves a talking-to.

"Service begins at 5PM until Supplies last" not only doesn't make sense, buy why the heck is "Supplies" capitalized?!?

Shouldn't it read "Service begins at 5PM while supplies last"?

Maybe it was the same person that gave fans of the park "Did summer fly by 2FAST4U?" on their social media channels.