Kings Island Haunt 2021

IndyGuy4KI

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BeeastFarmer said:

^Don't the trains have a restriction on the number of hours they can run in a season?  If so, I'd rather it be used for Winterfest.  As far as live performances, I'd think there would be tons of downtown between scenes and would be cost prohibitive.

I believe I heard that correctly somewhere. The boilers have to be inspected every year- I know Disney World's are inspected by the state once a year and once by their own people. 

The train did operate during Fear Fest and Winterfest back in '05 if my memory serves correctly. The solution would be to not operate it on slow days, operate one locomotive for haunt and one for Winterfest (they did run one train for Winterfest back in '17), or simply spend thousands of dollars to aquire a 3rd 36" gauge steam locomotive and expand the railroad shed; the rail fan in me wants the ladder.

I'm sure from an operations standpoint its just easier to run the trains during Winterfest, especially when there's more attractions open during Haunt.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, SonofBaconator said:

...they did run one train for Winterfest back in '17..

Not to rain (or snow) on anyone’s parade...but if it would just be the same old “12 Days Of Christmas” train trip again, I say let the train have a nice winter’s nap. :P

• Like 5

1 hour ago, standbyme said:

Not to rain (or snow) on anyone’s parade...but if it would just be the same old “12 Days Of Christmas” train trip again, I say let the train have a nice winter’s nap. :P

I agree, that was super underwhelming. It would be cool to see them go all out one year. Paramount did a cool show where a soldier would come home for the holidays

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 7:32 PM, BeeastFarmer said:

The Twelve Days of Christmas is a bit underwhelming, but  Winterfest has limited rides already.  I'd rather have it available with an underwhelming "show" than silent and the crowds queued up elsewhere.

I agree. I’d keep It for Winterfest as well to add to the lineup.

• 2 months later...

I was at the park yesterday & it looks like Blackout isn’t returning (the facade was painted over). What could be replacing it?! I would love to see a new pirate maze be placed there to tie in with the SZ. 

Also, do you think they will be retiring Urgent Scare after the events of last year (and the fact it’s been there the longest)?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, ki95 said:

I was at the park yesterday & it looks like Blackout isn’t returning (the facade was painted over). What could be replacing it?! I would love to see a new pirate maze be placed there to tie in with the SZ. 

Also, do you think they will be retiring Urgent Scare after the events of last year (and the fact it’s been there the longest)?

What color did they paint it over with? If they coated it with primer, then they could be just redoing the facade. If they chose another solid color, they may just be trying to make it look nicer while it is not in use. Kings Island repainted KillMart, but the Halloween Haunt Maze is still there. I hope that all of the mazes in plain sight eventually get a facelift or get torn down honestly. I am all for these mazes, but for buildings that are only used for a couple months each year, they really shouldn’t take away from the beauty of the park.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, disco2000 said:

Or is it a further indicator that Haunt isn't returning as some suspect? 

Or it could be that attraction has ran it's course and will either be repurposed for another attraction or not used at all for Haunt?

Stay tuned as someone once said...

There won’t be a haunt. At least as we know it. They’ll say it’s Covid/staffing. The truth is it would just be dangerous. 

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

There won’t be a haunt. At least as we know it. They’ll say it’s Covid/staffing. The truth is it would just be dangerous. 

I know Halloween Haunt is always a bit dicey which might only be worse this year, but I think it will be more of a chain-wide decision. I know Kings Island has had some rough moments this year, but I cannot see Cedar Point having their Halloween event and Kings Island not having theirs. I either think the major Cedar Fair parks will all have it or none will. Even if this season were to go really smoothly with plentiful staffing and no fighting, I am not sure we would see Halloween Haunt anyways. Like you pointed out, the advertisements around the park make no mention of it, and they instead advertise the Tricks and Treats event.

I actually kind of liked the Tricks and Treats event last year. I wouldn’t mind if that returned but with more decorations because I definitely missed all the pumpkins from Halloween Haunt (especially around Vortex). This event might actually make more revenue for Kings Island this year than Halloween Haunt ever did because crowds definitely showed up last year with many purchasing the food tasting cards. Also, the park doesn’t have to have staff employees nearly as late. I do hope we see 10:00 PM closings at least.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

I know Halloween Haunt is always a bit dicey which might only be worse this year, but I think it will be more of a chain-wide decision. I know Kings Island has had some rough moments this year, but I cannot see Cedar Point having their Halloween event and Kings Island not having theirs. I either think the major Cedar Fair parks will all have it or none will. Even if this season were to go really smoothly with plentiful staffing and no fighting, I am not sure we would see Halloween Haunt anyways. Like you pointed out, the advertisements around the park make no mention of it, and they instead advertise the Tricks and Treats event.

I actually kind of liked the Tricks and Treats event last year. I wouldn’t mind if that returned but with more decorations because I definitely missed all the pumpkins from Halloween Haunt (especially around Vortex). This event might actually make more revenue for Kings Island this year than Halloween Haunt ever did because crowds definitely showed up last year with many purchasing the food tasting cards. Also, the park doesn’t have to have staff employees nearly as late. I do hope we see 10:00 PM closings at least.

From all account I’ve heard, Haunt makes them a fortune. That’s why they… tolerated… the clientele that it drew.  

54 minutes ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Maybe all US parks, but shouldn't be a problem at Canada's Wonderland.

i-asked-a-canadian-why-they-are-so-polite-he-said-sorry-about-that.jpg

5 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

From all account I’ve heard, Haunt makes them a fortune. That’s why they… tolerated… the clientele that it drew.  

I don’t know what Kings Island plans to do, but whatever decision they make regarding Halloween Haunt really won’t surprise me at this point. It will be very interesting to see what happens nonetheless.

Just now, FUN&ONLY! said:

I don’t know what Kings Island plans to do, but whatever decision they make regarding Halloween Gaunt won’t surprise me at this point.

If they have Haunt like they normally do, and even close at midnight as previously planned then yeah - I’d be surprised. 

Besides that I agree. 

9 hours ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

What color did they paint it over with? If they coated it with primer, then they could be just redoing the facade. If they chose another solid color, they may just be trying to make it look nicer while it is not in use. Kings Island repainted KillMart, but the Halloween Haunt Maze is still there. I hope that all of the mazes in plain sight eventually get a facelift or get torn down honestly. I am all for these mazes, but for buildings that are only used for a couple months each year, they really shouldn’t take away from the beauty of the park.

They painted it solid black. I honestly think it has ran it’s course at Haunt. Remember, they keep Wolf Pack & Slaughterhouse’s ID signs up year-round too. 

• Like 2

I don't know if we'll see Haunt as we know it before return this year or ever. I think Haunt going forward will see some permanent changes tbh. I believe I heard somewhere that in the aftermath of 9/11, there were some parts/decorations from Haunt at Cedar Point that were removed because it would've given people bad flashbacks. Not saying that Haunt is dead, but I think what we may see is Tricks/Treats Fall fest becoming permanent more as a replacement for Great Pumpkin Fest and some sort of Haunt event at night. It depends on staffing though. I could very well be wrong though as I don't speak for the company or have any inside information. 

1 minute ago, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

I don't know if we'll see Haunt as we know it before return this year or ever. I think Haunt going forward will see some permanent changes tbh. I believe I heard somewhere that in the aftermath of 9/11, there were some parts/decorations from Haunt at Cedar Point that were removed because it would've given people bad flashbacks. Not saying that Haunt is dead, but I think what we may see is Tricks/Treats Fall fest becoming permanent more as a replacement for Great Pumpkin Fest and some sort of Haunt event at night. It depends on staffing though. I could very well be wrong though. 

You’re probably right but they also went the “no one and nothing is off limits” route  around 2007-08 season which was Haunt at its bloodiest - and that was post 9/11.  I know they removed severed heads from an attraction after footage surfaced of a terrorist beheading, which was probably the right call at the time. 

If they advertised Haunt to sell season passes, then cancel it... that’s extremely weak. With that said, as I’ve gotten older I’ve been less into the event anyway. Winterfest is a much better event in my opinion. 

I’d love some kind of revamped fall event, though. Something along the lines of a food festival with a 2-3, high quality, well staffed mazes. Obviously, some events focused on kids would be a huge hit too. 

Again, advertising Haunt only to pull the plug is pretty lame for those purchasing passes in hopes of attending the event. 

If there would be Haunt this year was a question brought up at CoasterMania.  Jason McClure who is now the regional Vice President over KI, CP, Carowinds, etc, stated the decision has not been made yet.  He flat out stated the chain is worried about being able to staff the parks and the event.  With the troubles the parks are having getting employees I do not think we will see a full standard Haunt at either Cedar Point or Kings Island.

I am expecting a food festival, decorations, trick or treating for children, and maybe some fog machines, lighting and walk through areas but no houses.  I would love to be proven wrong and would like the event to be back to normal but I doubt it.

• Like 1

Haunt and 1am closes are one of the reasons why I renewed my pass summer 2019. 2 summers without it would just add another good reason to not renew for 2022 and get a season pass elsewhere. There are many other chains and small parks that have not cut hours and days after posting the 2021 calendar and have added days and hours instead .It was known months before Cedar Fair opened their parks how busy this spring and summer would be and yet they opened later than a lot of others and continued to cut days, hours and advertised things like fireworks. A lot of parks also are either not requiring reservations or IE Hershey had a system in place where every passholder automatically got a reservation for any day and now they recently announced reservations are not needed for anybody.

• Like 1