RIP Sling Shot?

BoddaH1994

51 minutes ago, calakapepe said:

Thanks chad_1138

here's a quick video of the same thing taken around 1:30pm May 17

I noticed in the video they still haven’t taken down the rider higher and requirement and safety sign next to the entrance. Interesting.

https://www.wsaz.com/video/2022/05/19/wsaz-investigates-kings-island-removes-slingshot-ride/

The reporter finally got a response from the Kings Island spokesperson after having to reach out to corporate. Corporate referring the reporter back to Kings Island, then a spokesperson bothered to respond.

Allegedly it has been removed for future expansion.

…But if this is true, why was the Kings Island spokesperson dodging the media?

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I reached out as KIC too and got crickets. This is never a good look. I was not investing anything, I just wanted validation of it's removal when pics started showing up. To me, stopping any crazy theories at the beginning is best, but what do I know? I just help run the parks fan site.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Not really "allegedly" anything.  That's the standard response.  Everything gets removed for "future expansion", even Vortex with no immediate plans...

When serious matters arise (which removing Slingshot in the aftermath of the FL incident is whether that's the direct cause or not), a certain individual named by WSAZ sure does seem to like to either ghost the media and public, or direct blame elsewhere.  Not a good look for the park.

Not reassuring when corporate has to say, "yeah, that's the person at KI you should talk to" and the media still gets no response.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, KIEagle33 said:

If it was removed for future expansion, I wouldn't be surprised if Adventure Express left in the coming years. (As sad as that would be)

Would be a bit surprising. Ride has decent ridership and good capacity. Arrow mine trains seem to endure for decades.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KIEagle33 said:

If it was removed for future expansion, I wouldn't be surprised if Adventure Express left in the coming years. (As sad as that would be)

You would think that, but actually that can’t happen due to the 11th commandment.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jsus said:

Not really "allegedly" anything.  That's the standard response.  Everything gets removed for "future expansion", even Vortex with no immediate plans...

When serious matters arise (which removing Slingshot in the aftermath of the FL incident is whether that's the direct cause or not), a certain individual named by WSAZ sure does seem to like to either ghost the media and public, or direct blame elsewhere.  Not a good look for the park.

Not reassuring when corporate has to say, "yeah, that's the person at KI you should talk to" and the media still gets no response.

Or if the corporate bosses called down to KI wondering why the park’s spokesperson is ghosting the media. As @Browntggrr stated, not saying anything gets people talking. But is that the result you want in every instance? Would you rather have the people know SS was removed for future expansion or have the media speculating that its removal was tied to a death, which is exactly what happened in this instance.

Maybe we learned the trick: @IndyGuy4KI should direct inquiries toward Cedar Fair corporate since the park’s spokesperson either can’t or won’t respond to basic inquiries. 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, silver2005 said:

The 'removed for future expansion' line sounds like a go-to line rather than anything involving actual expansion, especially considering they gave it on the second try.

That's exactly what it is.  Sometimes they'll throw out a "this ride has reached the end of its usable lifespan" or similar, but the reality is, the reason why something was removed is because the park decided that the cost of keeping it was higher than the cost of removing it.  The public shouldn't really expect to receive more than that.

That said, again, not even giving the standard non-answer of "removed for future expansion" is much worse than Cedar Point announcing Top Thrill Dragster will remain closed for the 2022 season while they "evaluate its future".  At least there, they let the public know they're working to determine if they can safely and economically reopen the ride.

If there was any doubt that Slingshot was removed due to the FL incident, the lack of response from the park shows they had serious safety concerns they don't want to own up to.  Not sure how we could read anything else into it.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2022 at 10:45 AM, Hawaiian Coasters 325 said:

International Restaurant has an elevator I believe

It does, but it's not in a public area and it's more of a service elevator.  They'd need to add some sort of path to get there and dress it up a bit if they were going to use it full time.

32 minutes ago, teenageninja said:

It does, but it's not in a public area and it's more of a service elevator.  They'd need to add some sort of path to get there and dress it up a bit if they were going to use it full time.

There is a public elevator in the lobby of the restaurant.  It was added a few years back.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Or if the corporate bosses called down to KI wondering why the park’s spokesperson is ghosting the media. As @Browntggrr stated, not saying anything gets people talking. But is that the result you want in every instance? Would you rather have the people know SS was removed for future expansion or have the media speculating that its removal was tied to a death, which is exactly what happened in this instance.

Maybe we learned the trick: @IndyGuy4KI should direct inquiries toward Cedar Fair corporate since the park’s spokesperson either can’t or won’t respond to basic inquiries. 

I think this kind of aligns with the age old concept of "Any press is good press". This just stinks of something foul. 

Mind you, as I sit with my formerly Dorito stained hands on the illustrious keyboard of Dell: the park has yet to make any official statements on any social medias period. 

2 hours ago, jsus said:

That's exactly what it is.  Sometimes they'll throw out a "this ride has reached the end of its usable lifespan" or similar, but the reality is, the reason why something was removed is because the park decided that the cost of keeping it was higher than the cost of removing it.  The public shouldn't really expect to receive more than that.

That said, again, not even giving the standard non-answer of "removed for future expansion" is much worse than Cedar Point announcing Top Thrill Dragster will remain closed for the 2022 season while they "evaluate its future".  At least there, they let the public know they're working to determine if they can safely and economically reopen the ride.

If there was any doubt that Slingshot was removed due to the FL incident, the lack of response from the park shows they had serious safety concerns they don't want to own up to.  Not sure how we could read anything else into it.

What does FL stand for?

5 hours ago, KIEagle33 said:

I would love to see a RMC here but, that is just me and probably won’t happen. Don’t get me wrong Adventure Express is a really good ride, It is just me wishing.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2022 at 9:52 AM, BoddaH1994 said:

https://www.wsaz.com/video/2022/05/19/wsaz-investigates-kings-island-removes-slingshot-ride/

The reporter finally got a response from the Kings Island spokesperson after having to reach out to corporate. Corporate referring the reporter back to Kings Island, then a spokesperson bothered to respond.

Do you think they could actually be putting something there soon since they said future expansion? Or are they just trying to bypass talking to them.

1 hour ago, Orion742 said:

Do you think they could actually be putting something there soon since they said future expansion? Or are they just trying to bypass talking to them.

I doubt it would be soon.  I figure next year makes the most sense for a Planet Snoopy addition and feel even more strongly about that after hearing Mike Koontz talk about wanting to update Boo Blasters during Q&A yesterday at Coasterstock.

One thing I will say thought if they wanted to put in something like a new Keggers or a Musik Express they could probably have that installed pretty quickly.