2023 General Kings Island Discussion

BeeastFarmer

Not apples to apples by any means, but there's been a lot of chatter recently about thinning crowds at Disney parks this Summer, too. According to some articles this has even been acknowledged in their shareholder updates, and they expect the trend to continue the rest of 2023, at least.

• Like 1

I noticed at the start of the season they was making people tuck their hat in their shirts, including at CP, but this past weekend, they would let you hold them.

Also noticed this past weekend several people wearing fanny packs getting on rides with no issues.  Does anyone know if fanny packs are allowed again?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, LuvingKI said:

I noticed at the start of the season they was making people tuck their hat in their shirts, including at CP, but this past weekend, they would let you hold them.

Also noticed this past weekend several people wearing fanny packs getting on rides with no issues.  Does anyone know if fanny packs are allowed again?

The are allowed, until they aren't LOL.

I saw people today turned away or having to take the fanny packs off.  Comes down to the associate at the time.

• Thanks 1

Fanny packs (or waist packs as Kings Island calls them) are supposed to allowed on rides as long as they are secured around the waist and out of the way of the restraint. Some ride operators will let anything pass that is worn like a fanny pack even if it is not truly a fanny pack while other ride operators will only allow true fanny packs (which is the park’s official policy). I have also heard that some ride operators will reject excessively large fanny packs that are technically true fanny packs.

As far as hats go, I don’t think most ride operators care how riders secure their hats as long as they are off the riders’ heads.

• Thanks 1

I just want to say that despite yesterday being absolutely SLAMMED the park did an amazing job getting things done. Having all season FL of course helped and it was truly put to the test yesterday, Food ops were great at Brewhouse. Waited a total of about 15mins. And even waiting for drinks wasn't terrible. Even with the crowds the park had a great energy to it and I attest that to them going above and beyond for their guests from A Kid Again. Crews were super friendly and over all, it was a great time. I want to give a very big thanks to everyone. The key take-away here is, just be kind. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I just want to say that despite yesterday being absolutely SLAMMED the park did an amazing job getting things done. Having all season FL of course helped and it was truly put to the test yesterday, Food ops were great at Brewhouse. Waited a total of about 15mins. And even waiting for drinks wasn't terrible. Even with the crowds the park had a great energy to it and I attest that to them going above and beyond for their guests from A Kid Again. Crews were super friendly and over all, it was a great time. I want to give a very big thanks to everyone. The key take-away here is, just be kind. 

Was impressed as well.  Although my 2nd cousin and her family (who have a special needs kid) drove an hour to get to the park and ended up leaving because there was simply too many people.  The difference this year from what I understand was last year it was only Ohio participants in A Kid Again and this year more states were involved.  That along with the nice weather after a rainy Saturday really overcrowded both sides of the park.  (I felt really bad for those kids with breathing problems when the air quality hit 156 (unhealthy) around 4 oclock).

But yes, the employees did an AMAZING job and seemed to handle the crowds along with security who seems to be overly busy as well.

Great job KI!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

Did anyone take part in the survey they sent out Monday? I just saw it today, and they filled their quota so it’s closed now. 

No, I don't think so. Was it a passholder survey?

On that note, I got a park survey a few weeks ago (or maybe it was a month ago? :wacko: Time flies...). The only interesting question of note was something like "Is there any ride you would not miss if removed?" (it might have said more than ride, like "ride, show, etc."). And I answered Backlot Stunt Coaster.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Imperial79 said:

Did anyone take part in the survey they sent out Monday? I just saw it today, and they filled their quota so it’s closed now. 

I did.  It was super short, asking about thoughts on Grain and Grill.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Imperial79 said:

I received a survey a few weeks ago in regards to entertainment and what kind of entertainment I would be interested in. Did anyone else receive that one?

My fiancé received the G&G survey and filled it out. I think it will be interesting to see if it returns for next season and if it does if any changes/improvements will be made. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, MDMC01 said:

No, I don't think so. Was it a passholder survey?

On that note, I got a park survey a few weeks ago (or maybe it was a month ago? :wacko: Time flies...). The only interesting question of note was something like "Is there any ride you would not miss if removed?" (it might have said more than ride, like "ride, show, etc."). And I answered Backlot Stunt Coaster.

Doesn't say anything about being a pass holder survey.

Someone else said there was a survey on one of the Youtube coaster channels I watch about a month ago, so that probably is the same one, they said there was a question about adding a new event, so that would be neat! I'll watch my email more closely to try and take part in the next one. :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FUN&ONLY! said:

Does anyone know why Adventure Express has been on one train for like the past week?

How have lines been for AE since then? The lines for it this season have been relatively quick and low as far as I've seen.

7 hours ago, DJSkyFoxx said:

I received a survey a few weeks ago in regards to entertainment and what kind of entertainment I would be interested in. Did anyone else receive that one?

I haven't received that one. Did the survey provide examples of the entertainment they might be considering? They're probably trying to get a sense of whether guests want something more along the lines of Off the Rails and Cirque Imagine than 70s On Demand and RetroSpect.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Timchat2 said:

I haven't received that one. Did the survey provide examples of the entertainment they might be considering? They're probably trying to get a sense of whether guests want something more along the lines of Off the Rails and Cirque Imagine than 70s On Demand and RetroSpect.

It did actually! It gave examples of the kinds of entertainment that folks might be interested in and they were seeking feedback on the interest level of different kinds of shows/night life type stuff. It was a really fun survey and I liked that for each example of possible entertainment they not only had the clickable options to choose from (IE: Interested, Neutral, Not Interested ETC ) they had an open opinion box where you could type out your thoughts. I really appreciated that as it allowed me to elaborate more on certain points. 

• Like 3

With the live entertainment cuts across the chain this year it is encouraging to see the park looking at their options for future productions. Kings Island managed to hold onto quite a lineup of shows this year despite the reductions at other parks so it appears someone is fighting the good fight for live entertainment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

Not sure if you can see this, but it is posted on our FB and Threads too 

That's cool!  Would be nice if our communication director was out doing some face time interaction on things like this.

I listened to the latest ACE podcast on the way to work this morning and they interviewed Hawaiian Falls Waco's Chief Marketing Officer.  He is an industry veteran who said being on the midways, especially on Saturdays, and looking from a guest perspective, is key. 

There #choad, I passed along a free piece of advice if you'd like to show up sometime and help KI grow and prosper!

• Haha 1

When is the last time you saw the Mystic Timbers shed use the black light?

I was thinking about this last time I rode with my daughter, I haven't seen the black light since maybe the second year of operation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoan said:

I was thinking about this last time I rode with my daughter, I haven't seen the black light since maybe the second year of operation?

It worked last Tuesday just fine. You mean the stoning black light that makes “it’s in the shed” show up? It’s there! 

2 hours ago, Stoan said:

I’m not sure about the black light, but some effects are definitely broken in the shed. Most of the swinging lights are dark and barely swing (if at all). The lockers also no longer bang during the shed sequence. On top of that, the audio loop on the stairs has been out for a least a year (the one that goes “There’s an old truck in the lumber mill. You got to jump start it. Get out of here! Right now!”). In addition, one of the TV’s is dark in the queue that is supposed to show the video footage and one of the speakers that plays the soundtrack is out near the Fast Lane line. I hope Kings Island fixes these things some day.