2023 Halloween Haunt Discussion

TheBeast54

32 minutes ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

I saw they're working on it inside, the last time I've visited Ki they left the door open.

Agreed, I've seen quite a bit of action going on in the Blackout building. However, they could have repurposed the building for something else, but I'm hopeful for some new mazes this year!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, CoasterJack said:

Agreed, I've seen quite a bit of action going on in the Blackout building. However, they could have repurposed the building for something else, but I'm hopeful for some new mazes this year!

Hope we get Dark Ride like Knott’s had! CW has a version of it this year as well

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cedar Fair Fanboy said:

New for Haunt this year.

Scare Zone: Abandoned (Base around Mystic Timbers)

Maze: Alien Abyss (Replacing C.H.A.O.S.)

Show: Dr. Nightmare (A game show)

With the new maze going in Area 72 the SOB station activity has certainly become very very intriguing…

• Like 4

I am very surprised that the Blackout building will remain vacant. It was also surprising that we won't be getting a scare zone in Adventure Port. Maybe Coney Maul could be extended into Adventure Port, or at least back towards WindSeeker? I'm glad that Rivertown is getting some attention, though. As for the removal of C.H.A.O.S., while I am sad to lose a maze, I'm sure Alien Abyss will be amazing!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Invertigo99 said:

I am very surprised that the Blackout building will remain vacant. It was also surprising that we won't be getting a scare zone in Adventure Port. Maybe Coney Maul could be extended into Adventure Port, or at least back towards WindSeeker? I'm glad that Rivertown is getting some attention, though. As for the removal of C.H.A.O.S., while I am sad to lose a maze, I'm sure Alien Abyss will be amazing!

Blackout building is just storage now. 

• Like 4

On the Haunt Code of Conduct page, they're going the limited see-through bag route.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/events/haunt/conduct-policy-and-guidelines

BAG POLICY

During Halloween Haunt, re-entry is not permitted for guests who leave the park after 6:00 PM. Clear plastic bags smaller than 12” x 12” x 6” as well as non-clear wristlets or clutches no larger than 5”x 8”x 2” are allowed after 4:00 PM for Halloween Haunt. All bags are subject to search prior to entry.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Orion-XL200 said:

Always cool to see new additions, but how will staffing change the way we see these haunt attractions? I wouldn't be surprised if the mazes/scare zones have significantly less scare actors in them this year.

Dose Cedar Point and the other Cedar Fair Haunts have issues with staffing or is it just Ki?

3 hours ago, Kifan91 said:

Dose Cedar Point and the other Cedar Fair Haunts have issues with staffing or is it just Ki?

Kings Island historically has fewer staffing issues compared to other Cedar Fair parks, but staffing can get rough once people head back to school. Nowadays, however, Cedar Fair will intentionally staff its parks less than it theoretically could in order to save money. For instance, Kings Island was not scheduling some employees many hours this summer, which caused them to quit to find another job where they could actually get scheduled more hours. I don’t know what the staffing situation is going to look like for Halloween Haunt, though.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Kifan91 said:

Each park I can assume each park has it's own issues with staffing. From what I've heard this year, there have been over 100 scare actor positions have been cut. While 100 doesn't seem like a crazy number, think about an indoor maze....how many actors are in there? Take about 40% of those actors out of the maze...it is not as immersive. 

We shall see how it plays out...but I think folks should definitely expect a less than stellar Haunt season.

• Like 3

I think eliminating the roaming aspect and restructuring actors/actresses into the mazes would help with the staffing problems. On any given night, the pathways are jam packed with guests and it seems like scareactors can’t be as efficient at doing their jobs; I’ve heard from multiple people that they never needed to get “no-boo” necklaces because they were never approached by any monsters.

TL;DR- eliminate the roaming effect and relocate all scareactors into the mazes

• Like 2

3 hours ago, IBEW_Sparky said:

I was planning a trip next Saturday, and I want to make sure Im not trippin, because if I am reading the calendar correctly, it says that the park doesnt open at all until 7pm next Saturday?  If thats the case, I will postpone until Oct 7th.

Correct.  Private event until 7, and then the park opens to the public for Haunt at 7.  I would definitely 100% postpone.

• Thanks 1

Anyone seen parade(s) at Carrowinds? I’m not sure how I feel about it. I was bummed we weren’t one of the pilot parks, but now…? Eh. It’s a bit cringy during the “nightmare” version and a bit weak with the Tricks and Treats version. Almost wish they would combine into one , less scary, better staged, with peanuts trick or treat costumes characters super strong parade. Maybe it just happens at the “end” of daily ops to give a “walk out” to that crowd. I’m surprised with budget cuts they are running or 2x. It’s not working for me having “dancing Freddy” and choreography that’s way too “happy” and not slutty enough LOL. The crowd at least on the clips I’ve seen from Friday night didn’t seem that enthusiastic, but I get that it’s early in the run. I’m sure they will be watching this investment closely, but it doesn’t seem needed to keep people in the park later the way it’s currently structured and timed. 

• Like 1

I was a Scarowinds Saturday night but did not see the parade. It took a good while to get through the gates for some reason so I assume that I missed it if it was at the start of the event. I did see the floats in their shed on the way out so I was a little confused at the time as to why I did no see a parade. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aaron88stang said:

I was a Scarowinds Saturday night but did not see the parade. It took a good while to get through the gates for some reason so I assume that I missed it if it was at the start of the event. I did see the floats in their shed on the way out so I was a little confused at the time as to why I did no see a parade. 

It’s at 7:30, so yeah… at the beginning of the event.