Camp Snoopy Construction Updates

Hawaiian Coasters 325

Favorable weather conditions in December and January have allowed crews at Kings Island to maintain the Camp Snoopy construction schedule.

Opening in late spring 2024…

Don and I reported on the Pick Six that Holiday World had said on their podcast that their Vekoma Family Boomerang was promised to be the first one to open in America, thus Soapbox Racers wouldn’t open with the park on April 20.

I cannot tell you how many times people came to us from “official sources” claiming that it wasn’t true and that we didn’t know what we were talking about. A smear campaign.

If the quote above is true (and who knows what is anymore) then Camp Snoopy is, and always was, planned to open late. They knew about the Holiday World situation. Otherwise, why would, “on schedule” mean “late Spring?” Who would intentionally do that? 

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, disco2000 said:

The ending just seemed to get cut off.  I would hope that was just some uploading glitch?  I have seen some podcasts have an abrupt ending to that I don't think was intentional.

Hopefully we see a revised one that has an ending.

For me it was shocking to see the same shot multiple times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orion-XL200 said:

For me it was shocking to see the same shot multiple times. 

Yeah I thought that was kinda odd too, but there isn't a whole lot to see so I can give a pass on that, but I was expecting to see more than 30 seconds on the dot and a little more talk.  Was that sentence cut off mid-stream when the video ended or was that poor editing and the intent?

2 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Don and I reported on the Pick Six that Holiday World had said on their podcast that their Vekoma Family Boomerang was promised to be the first one to open in America, thus Soapbox Racers wouldn’t open with the park on April 20.

I cannot tell you how many times people came to us from “official sources” claiming that it wasn’t true and that we didn’t know what we were talking about. A smear campaign.

If the quote above is true (and who knows what is anymore) then Camp Snoopy is, and always was, planned to open late. They knew about the Holiday World situation. Otherwise, why would, “on schedule” mean “late Spring?” Who would intentionally do that? 

Wasn't Opening late Spring the same language used for Adventure Port?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, disco2000 said:

Yeah I thought that was kinda odd too, but there isn't a whole lot to see so I can give a pass on that, but I was expecting to see more than 30 seconds on the dot and a little more talk.  Was that sentence cut off mid-stream when the video ended or was that poor editing and the intent?

I'm feeling kinda both.

17 minutes ago, Orion742 said:

Remember early in the 2023 season when the Planet Snoopy webcam was randomly switched to Camp Snoopy? I guess we should have seen it coming lol.

Ha! That, or the random IT guy who programmed it didn’t know the difference. But hey - if they’re going to drop clues, we’ll take them!

• Like 5

Hard to say but we’ll know for sure if the Snoppy Boutique signs come down. It’s out of the area where they originally announced Camp Snoppy to be going. It might be the ‘food truck’ like @PKIDeliriumsays, but would they really use the word ‘Hall’ for something that can be moved like a food truck? 

• Like 4

I don't think mess hall is a good name for a food truck imo. Mess Hall is basically a "dining hall" name. I think I know where it could go. I think it could go on the right side of Beagle Scout Acres next to the start of the walkway to Soak City/Picnic Grove. I'm thinking it could be something along the lines of the Till and Harvest Food Hall at Dollywood in Wildwood Grove. 

EDIT: to sorta go along with what I said, there looks to be work going on right near the pathway to Soak City and even though its hard to tell, it sorta looks like they are digging for a building foundation so I think this could be where Pig Pen's Mess Hall is going.

image.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

This view made my heart drop. I know it's early in construction so things might change, but they absolutely decimated the ambiance of Race For Your Life Charlie Brown. Hopefully they'll replant a lot of trees, but not only am I not hopeful given recent budget choices, but even if they do it'll be another couple of decades before the flume will feel like a voyage through the woods. 
KICSConst.png

• Sad 4

35 minutes ago, DispatchMaster said:

This view made my heart drop. I know it's early in construction so things might change, but they absolutely decimated the ambiance of Race For Your Life Charlie Brown. Hopefully they'll replant a lot of trees, but not only am I not hopeful given recent budget choices, but even if they do it'll be another couple of decades before the flume will feel like a voyage through the woods. 
KICSConst.png

Definitely not a fan of this. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, DispatchMaster said:

KICSConst.png

Good grief. 

• Like 4

Kings Island's director of communications, Chad Showalter, was invited to join us on the Tower Topics Podcast to discuss Camp Snoopy. Tower Topics presents a valuable opportunity for the park to engage with its fans through updates. Unfortunately, despite extending the invitation, no response was received from Chad. A professional courtesy, even a simple decline, would have been appreciated. The absence of any communication reflects poorly on his role as a communications professional. This lack of responsiveness has been an ongoing issue since he assumed the position in 2017, contributing to his perceived mediocrity in the field.

• Like 7
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Kings Island's director of communications, Chad Showalter, was invited to join us on the Tower Topics Podcast to discuss Camp Snoopy. Tower Topics presents a valuable opportunity for the park to engage with its fans through updates. Unfortunately, despite extending the invitation, no response was received from Chad. A professional courtesy, even a simple decline, would have been appreciated. The absence of any communication reflects poorly on his role as a communications professional. This lack of responsiveness has been an ongoing issue since he assumed the position in 2017, contributing to his perceived mediocrity in the field.

Bro what

4 hours ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I mean, in fairness. It's common knowledge and well documented that you don't like the guy. So, no surprise you got the cold shoulder. I say that with all due respect, as someone who watches your show.

• Like 12

The almighty has spoken.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tr0y said:

I mean, in fairness. It's common knowledge and well documented that you don't like the guy. So, no surprise you got the cold shoulder. I say that with all due respect, as someone who watches your show.

Regrettably, Chad Showalter seems to overlook the broader perspective. While he may not personally favor this forum, the Season Pass Facebook group, the Tower Topics Podcast, or Theme Parks By Don blog, as a communications professional, he should acknowledge the potential each holds to amplify the park's stories. These platforms wield significant influence with diverse audiences, and dismissing them only undermines Kings Island and Cedar Fair. Acknowledging their value, surpassing that of local news media, would markedly elevate the park's communication strategy.

• Like 3

On 1/31/2024 at 8:20 AM, DispatchMaster said:

I've said it before for other things, I'll say it again. A lot of the problems regarding trees removed due to construction or demolition could be fixed by planting rows of fast-growing pines to fill in. There appears to be enough room between the flume and the closest foundations to do that here.

Behind Cargo Loco/Adventure Port in general to separate from Banshee? Row of pines. Next to Beast's first turn where Vortex demolition left it so open? Row of pines. Divide Backlot from Rivertown? Row of pines along that side of the pathway. The clearcut area behind the former Crypt building that leaves Diamondback too open? Pines.

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, PKIDelirium said:

I've said it before for other things, I'll say it again. A lot of the problems regarding trees removed due to construction or demolition could be fixed by planting rows of fast-growing pines to fill in. There appears to be enough room between the flume and the closest foundations to do that here.

Behind Cargo Loco/Adventure Port in general to separate from Banshee? Row of pines. Next to Beast's first turn where Vortex demolition left it so open? Row of pines. Divide Backlot from Rivertown? Row of pines along that side of the pathway. The clearcut area behind the former Crypt building that leaves Diamondback too open? Pines.

With the removal of the trees, the flume ride will feel like it did in the Coney Island days. 

• Like 5