Winterfest 2023 Discussion

SonofBaconator

11 minutes ago, IndyGuy4KI said:

I am quite sad to see the four drummers being dropped. They were always so entertaining to watch. 

The Four Drummers Drumming show at WinterFest was a crowd-pleaser for guests of all ages. The social media buzz with photos and videos truly captured the essence of the experience. Those third-party impressions are priceless and will be missed!

• Like 6

If anyone is buying tickets for friends or family, you may want to wait. Kings Dominion is currently running a flash sale for $19.99 tickets. If history is any indication, Kings Island will likely run the same sale within the next seven calendar days. 

IMG_3059.jpeg

With Kings Island’s recent behavior, it may be safe to assume that people who purchased at the current “sale” price will not get an adjustment.

• Like 1

If anyone is buying tickets for friends or family, you may want to wait. Kings Dominion is currently running a flash sale for $19.99 tickets. If history is any indication, Kings Island will likely run the same sale within the next seven calendar days. 

IMG_3059.thumb.jpeg.64bf62832c5390305332a3afeba9c17c.jpeg
With Kings Island’s recent behavior, it may be safe to assume that people who purchased at the current “sale” price will not get an adjustment.
Can't imagine a business giving customers their money back after they've already charged them at a particular price....

It's already a good deal.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

Can't imagine a business giving customers their money back after they've already charged them at a particular price....

While I don't expect KI to price match, most stores let you go in for a price adjustment if something goes on sale after you purchased it within the return window.  Amazon doesn't of course, so you have to return and rebuy LOL.

As an example, here is the generous price adjustment Best Buy does during the holidays:

If our price goes lower during the holiday season, we’ll match it.  
The Holiday Price Match Guarantee lets you shop with confidence. Most products purchased at Best Buy between Oct. 27 and Dec. 30 can be price matched through Jan. 13 with Best Buy’s Holiday Price Match Guarantee.   

The Holiday Price Match Guarantee allows customers to request a price match to a current Best Buy product price for an immediately available new product during our extended Holiday Return & Exchange period. Items excluded from the extended Holiday Return & Exchange period (e.g., items purchased with a third-party contract [e.g., cell phones, AppleCare+ plans], holiday decorations, non-returnable products, etc.) are excluded from the Holiday Price Match Guarantee. The Guarantee does not apply to price matching competitor’s prices. All other terms and conditions of the Best Buy Price Match Guarantee apply.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tuxedoman52 said:

I'm not saying they should. I'm saying that if you are in the market for tickets you should probably wait since the parks that open this week are running a flash sale and it is likely to hit KI next week when they open.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 11:02 AM, Timchat2 said:

We loved Home for the Holidays. I really liked how it recast the familiar train experience as part of a simple heartwarming holiday story.

I have fond memories of this show from the night I rode it in 2005. That night there was ice on the tracks and the train was having trouble getting enough traction to make it over the shallow grades of the terrain.

After failing to make it through an upward grade in the track the train had to go backwards and then accelerate with more power to build speed to make it over the grade.

The best part about this was that the actors, including the main character soldier were being funny ad libbing lines to explain why we were going backwards through the same scenery we had just passed such as "You've gotta go back to move forward I always say."

• Like 3

8 hours ago, super7 said:

That price is dishonest.   Another Cedar Fair trick.  I know they aren’t the only one but it’s still not the real price.    They add a “processing” fee for doing absolutely nothing for a self serve online purchase.  

As a programmer I feel the need to note that a "processing" fee has some validity to it.  Those websites don't write themselves and with the amount of cyberattacks increasing they are only getting more expensive to upkeep and maintain.  Not just the web site, but the webserver it is running on.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, robintodd said:

As a programmer I feel the need to note that a "processing" fee has some validity to it.  Those websites don't write themselves and with the amount of cyberattacks increasing they are only getting more expensive to upkeep and maintain.  Not just the web site, but the webserver it is running on.

That's fine, but how about simply advertising the price out the door?  We know why because the price is then higher.  Most places do it, but it sucks.  Nothing like buying a cheap seat to an event and the taxes and processing fees are more than the actual ticket LOL.

It is the same non-sense car dealers pull.  Destination fees and all the other charges add up quick.  If every vehicle has that, then incorporate it in the price.

I'd be full support behind some changes to make it so given prices are the out of wallet prices. Everything included (including alignment), taxes, fees, hell even tip. Let the receipt show the breakdown, but if you show me a big number, I'd love for that number to be what comes out of my pocket.

As for the actual event, I really enjoy my visits individually to Winterfest, but holy guac does it seem every time I choose to go it is heckin frosty.

• Like 1

Anyone else get the email from KI stating:  "Kings Island's WinterFest has been nominated for Best Theme Park Holiday Event in USA Today's 10Best Readers' Choice poll. We need your help to win! You can cast your vote for WinterFest once per day until voting ends November 29 at 11:59 AM EST."

If we don't win the top spot, budget cuts will probably eliminate the event next year :P

2ff1f883cb14e555808fdc8abc2c9d30.jpg

• Like 1

Kings Island released a blog about Winterfest today. In a recent Tower Topics, Don Helbig and I posed the question of, “where will these extra two million lights be?” This forced the answer that is in this blog. The answer: eh…. they’re around.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2023/november/winterfest-2023-preview?utm_source=park_facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=winterfest_park_map_11_16_23&utm_id=23WAS&fbclid=IwAR2CLluzvdN8fCU3VcTIgcRicVpn13jFEcESMtF7HFhSTenSYTlT0Dwxzp4_aem_AVb5eEj5r0r332z3gEcB03gcg8wAyeJJXxqVCXKxq97v4paY5oHYlnVULTQhAEGyuQPCAdya90JANIh6qSLQoDvL

Alternatively, here is a blog by TheParksByDon.com that paints a pretty cool story of what Winterfest is:

https://themeparksbydon.com/kings-islands-winterfest-promises-joy-festive-fun-for-all-ages/

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Kings Island released a blog about Winterfest today. In a recent Tower Topics, Don Helbig and I posed the question of, “where will these extra two million lights be?” This forced the answer that is in this blog. The answer: eh…. they’re around.

https://www.visitkingsisland.com/blog/2023/november/winterfest-2023-preview?utm_source=park_facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=winterfest_park_map_11_16_23&utm_id=23WAS&fbclid=IwAR2CLluzvdN8fCU3VcTIgcRicVpn13jFEcESMtF7HFhSTenSYTlT0Dwxzp4_aem_AVb5eEj5r0r332z3gEcB03gcg8wAyeJJXxqVCXKxq97v4paY5oHYlnVULTQhAEGyuQPCAdya90JANIh6qSLQoDvL

Alternatively, here is a blog by TheParksByDon.com that paints a pretty cool story of what Winterfest is:

https://themeparksbydon.com/kings-islands-winterfest-promises-joy-festive-fun-for-all-ages/

Hopefully we’ll notice a difference in the lights amount and it doesn’t just look like the same amount in previous years.

I’m glad that Sol Spin and Cargo Loco will be open this Winterfest! I’m curious why Adventure Express won’t be open though. That would be such a cool experience to ride it with all of those lights. 

I hope that Snoopy’s Soap Box Racers will be open next Winterfest. It would add up more to our winter coaster collection. I don’t see why not when Big Bear Mountain and Dragonflier will both be open for Smoky Mountain Christmas down at Dollywood.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Love that they added:

"**Subject to change without notice."

We are familiar with that phrase this year more than any other :P

It appears the carriage rides are being replaced with a trolley - will people pay to ride a trolley that goes in a big loop?  Probably LOL

Also of interest is he points people to his personal X (formerly known as Twitter) account and not the official park account....

Additional thoughts:

Holly Jolly Trolley
Located near Kings Mills Antique Autos, guests will be able to tour Tinsel Town and Coney Elf Mall aboard the Holly Jolly Trolley.

What?

…plus this dispels any theory that the HJT was not being used because of problems with the vehicle itself. It’s budget cuts. 

Adventure Port Restaurants re-themed
Adventure Port officially becomes the park’s 12th winter wonderland.  In addition to the new rides, Adventure Port’s restaurants have been re-named 'Enrique's Cozy Cantina' and 'Enrique's Christmas Cafe' for the holidays.

So they’re decorating that area and now calling it its own wonderland? Does it have a theme? It was decorated previously, why wasn’t it a wonderland then? Just asking, not knocking it. Maybe they have something cool planned?

• Eiffel Tower: We’ve increased the number of lights on the Eiffel Tower with bulbs that are 30% brighter and smaller, allowing for finer programming of the tower’s animated sequences.
    • Royal Fountain- We’ve added GIANT, lit snowflakes to Snowflake Lake (our Royal Fountain ice skating rink).
    • Park Enhancements- You’ll notice additional lights that have been added throughout the park, and especially to the new Adventure Port, Rivertown Wonderland and Area 72

It’ll still be interesting to see if 2 million extra lights pans out. Someone mentioned the train. I haven’t seen mention of 12 days of Christmas. Are the lights going there? If they are, are you adding them to the lights that were already there? If not, did you add 2 million lights or just replace 2 million lights?

Also... here's a dime's worth of advice for free. Why on earth is the USA Today thing not linked in this article? 

Edit: Kind of like this: https://themeparksbydon.com/lake-compounce-unveils-the-magic-of-holiday-lights/

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Additional thoughts:

What?

…plus this dispels any theory that the HJT was not being used because of problems with the vehicle itself. It’s budget cuts. 

So they’re decorating that area and now calling it its own wonderland? Does it have a theme? It was decorated previously, why wasn’t it a wonderland then? Just asking, not knocking it. Maybe they have something cool planned?

• It’ll still be interesting to see if 2 million extra lights pans out. Someone mentioned the train. I haven’t seen mention of 12 days of Christmas. Are the lights going there? If they are, are you adding them to the lights that were already there? If not, did you add 2 million lights or just replace 2 million lights?

Also... here's a dime's worth of advice for free. Why on earth is the USA Today thing not linked in this article? 

Edit: Kind of like this: https://themeparksbydon.com/lake-compounce-unveils-the-magic-of-holiday-lights/

Maybe this trolley will be self-propelled like a pedal wagon as I hear they are quite popular :P

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, BoddaH1994 said:

I forget where I read it, but the other parks have had issues with the trolley itself. Show gone - for sure budget cuts....if they can keep the trolley running it may be good, but imagine the headache of trying to dodge overly rambunctious people with the trolley. I'm also wondering why they're doing this vs the horse drawn carriage.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoddaH1994 said:

Yes, and other parks still have it. Not sure why KI’s is gone. Maybe it was a dispute with the vendor. Maybe it was that the hooves were messing up the pavers. 

A pedal wagon trolley with over-priced alcohol smells much better than sitting behind a horse :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3